• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU Referendum: The result and aftermath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's hardly his fault the news broadcasters have decided to do so much of their coverage from an environment they can't control. People like Steve aren't new, it's the broadcasters camped out on parliament Square who are.

Your use of the first name rather than the known surname of this individual betrays any hope that you might offer an impartial view on matters. I suppose that you also see no wrong when mindless youths decide to perform antics in television view when outside broadcast interviews are made.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
Your use of the first name rather than the known surname of this individual betrays any hope that you might offer an impartial view on matters. I suppose that you also see no wrong when mindless youths decide to perform antics in television view when outside broadcast interviews are made.
I certainly don't think they should be arrested. I used the name Steve because it's habitually used by both the media and politicians, and I can't actually remember his surname - it doesn't mean I know him or particularly care what he thinks or does.

Most importantly though, I never said I was impartial - I'm not a judge and this isn't a regulated news report. It's a forum for people to express their views, which is exactly what I and everyone else here is doing. If something you read here is news to you please feel free to go and verify it somewhere else.

mmh

Established Member
It's hardly his fault the news broadcasters have decided to do so much of their coverage from an environment they can't control. People like Steve aren't new, it's the broadcasters camped out on parliament Square who are.

That's not correct. John Cole (the BBC political journalist with the very distinctive Northern Ireland accent) was permanently outside Parliament throughout the 80s, along with others who weren't as memorable.

Reporters and interviews there are far from a new phenomenon.

takno

Established Member
That's not correct. John Cole (the BBC political journalist with the very distinctive Northern Ireland accent) was permanently outside Parliament throughout the 80s, along with others who weren't as memorable.

Reporters and interviews there are far from a new phenomenon.
They used to do some off-the-cuff interviews there, and some pre-filmed set pieces to camera. The pre-plannned interviews all used to be in the studio, and the overall media circus that seems to take place on specially constructed outdoor stages now never used to happen outside of election season.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
President Lyndon B. Johnson is, rather unfairly in my estimation, really now remembered for only two things, the first being sworn into office after John F. Kennedy's assassination, the second leading the USA into the Vietnam War. I wonder how Prime Minister Johnson will be remembered. Harold Wilson, the canniest British politician of my lifetime, refused to allow the UK to get involved in Vietnam, but would Alexander Boris be both able and willing to stop us getting sucked into something potentially grave and long-lasting that his mate Donald Trump concocted, perhaps in exchange for a 'trade deal'?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
More Brexit good news today as:

the Pound sinks to 28-month low on Brexit fears

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49156403

and Vauxhall owner 'could move Astra production from UK'.

The chief executive of Vauxhall-owner PSA says it could move all production from its Ellesmere Port factory if Brexit makes it unprofitable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49146645

In the case of the latter story some poor soul believed that Vauxhall were probably going to close it anyway and that Brexit was just "an excuse".

Mvann

The thing is that it was the EUs dash for diesel and then doing a complete u turn and now wanting to ban diesel cars plus the Volkswagen emissions scandal that is causing a fall in the sales of cars, which means there is over capacity in the production lines. That means closing factories. All brexit has done is put the factories over here up for closure earlier.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The thing is that it was the EUs dash for diesel and then doing a complete u turn and now wanting to ban diesel cars plus the Volkswagen emissions scandal that is causing a fall in the sales of cars, which means there is over capacity in the production lines. That means closing factories. All brexit has done is put the factories over here up for closure earlier.
If you're a multinational and have to close a factory for whatever reason then the obvious thing to do at present is to close one in the UK where there's no certainty over what the trading relationship will be and quite a strong possibility it will be totally uncompetitive. For similar reasons investment will be directed elsewhere, at a critical time when manufacturers are gearing up for mass production of electric cars, so there's a strong possibility that the remaining UK automotive factories will be left with the internal combustion models that will be obsolete in a decade or so. Which may suit the Brexit-favouring climate change deniers but isn't good news for anyone else.

furnessvale

Established Member
If you're a multinational and have to close a factory for whatever reason then the obvious thing to do at present is to close one in the UK where there's no certainty over what the trading relationship will be and quite a strong possibility it will be totally uncompetitive. For similar reasons investment will be directed elsewhere, at a critical time when manufacturers are gearing up for mass production of electric cars, so there's a strong possibility that the remaining UK automotive factories will be left with the internal combustion models that will be obsolete in a decade or so. Which may suit the Brexit-favouring climate change deniers but isn't good news for anyone else.
That doesn't seem to match with recent announcements by JLR, BMW and others.

Typhoon

Established Member
President Lyndon B. Johnson is, rather unfairly in my estimation, really now remembered for only two things, the first being sworn into office after John F. Kennedy's assassination, the second leading the USA into the Vietnam War. I wonder how Prime Minister Johnson will be remembered. Harold Wilson, the canniest British politician of my lifetime, refused to allow the UK to get involved in Vietnam, but would Alexander Boris be both able and willing to stop us getting sucked into something potentially grave and long-lasting that his mate Donald Trump concocted, perhaps in exchange for a 'trade deal'?
Excellent points. LB Johnson did much to develop American social policy but will always be in JFKs shadow. Unfortunately, unlike the 60s, a war with say Iran is likely to enhance Trump's reputation with his core supporters, particularly if he can label the enemy as anti-Israel. I am only guessing but I don't feel there is a mood in this country for armed conflict in support of any cause that does not directly affect these islands, nor are we particularly equipped to do so; AB Johnson may get the support of his own party (out of loyalty) for such an event but I think most neutrals as well as those in the opposition (which includes a sizeable membership of the Brexit Party) would be hostile. The Prime Minister may have to exercise a level of diplomacy that was not immediately obvious during his time at the Foreign Office.

Oh, and Harold Wilson - he knew how to stay in power, that one.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That doesn't seem to match with recent announcements by JLR, BMW and others.
I raise you Honda (easier to sell into Europe from Japan than from the UK), Ford and now perhaps Vauxhall. JLR are also investing in Czech Republic. Nissan have been keeping pretty quiet, probably wondering whether their apparent bung from Theresa May will be as illusory as most of the other promises from Brexiters.

furnessvale

Established Member
I raise you Honda (easier to sell into Europe from Japan than from the UK), Ford and now perhaps Vauxhall. JLR are also investing in Czech Republic. Nissan have been keeping pretty quiet, probably wondering whether their apparent bung from Theresa May will be as illusory as most of the other promises from Brexiters.
Thanks to a new EU trade deal with Japan which greatly benefits Germany but throws all the UK satellite plants under a bus as Japan can now export direct from its home country plants tariff free.

433N

Thanks to a new EU trade deal with Japan which greatly benefits Germany but throws all the UK satellite plants under a bus as Japan can now export direct from its home country plants tariff free.

Well, perhaps the UK should have looked after its interests better by being an active member of the EU rather than sitting on the sidelines and whining all the time.

Bantamzen

Established Member

EU negotiates a deal that favours one of it's main members as opposed to a country on a path to leave. Surprised much?

Puffing Devil

Established Member

How, specifically, does this new EU trade deal favour Germany?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Not at all surprised, they have been doing it for years. Roll on 31st October.

And how do you imagine that will improve post Brexit? The EU will still be a far more influential trading body than the UK, & will still be able to negotiate better terms for it's members, whilst we will be potentially sat in the case of a 'no deal' of having to rebuild over 70 trade deals to try to get us from a WTO tariff position to anything remotely close to that negotiated by the EU. Roll on eh?

433N

And how do you imagine that will improve post Brexit? The EU will still be a far more influential trading body than the UK, & will still be able to negotiate better terms for it's members, whilst we will be potentially sat in the case of a 'no deal' of having to rebuild over 70 trade deals to try to get us from a WTO tariff position to anything remotely close to that negotiated by the EU. Roll on eh?

Well, we won't have any trade deals, granted. But we will have blue passports ! ... and shopkeepers will be able to sell curved bananas !

It's gonna be amazeballs, just ask Boris !

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well, we won't have any trade deals, granted. But we will have blue passports ! ... and shopkeepers will be able to sell curved bananas !

Ironically I will need to renew my passport after a trip to Vienna in early October, so I will be one of the first people with the iconic blue passport cover (made in France). I'm sure myself and others will be striding around the globe declaring that we are once again British and that the rest of the world should do our bidding. I mean, what could go wrong...…???

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Yes so much to look forward too really, can't wait for all that delicious genetically modified produce to start flooding in when Boris strikes a perfect deal with his good buddy Donald....

433N

Ironically I will need to renew my passport after a trip to Vienna in early October, so I will be one of the first people with the iconic blue passport cover (made in France). I'm sure myself and others will be striding around the globe declaring that we are once again British and that the rest of the world should do our bidding. I mean, what could go wrong...…???

Given how little your Great British Pesos will be worth, I doubt you'll be striding anywhere abroad ever again so you won't be needing that iconic blue passport. :(

Better get used to the idea of a week in Blackpool like in the good old days.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Your posting reminds me of the 1959 film...."The Mouse that Roared"

Howardh

Established Member
Given how little your Great British Pesos will be worth, I doubt you'll be striding anywhere abroad ever again so you won't be needing that iconic blue passport. :(

Well if Bury FC close down, I might have to start supporting Fleetwood which is just up the road from Blackpool!! Just think, a dirty weekend at the North Euston but remove "dirty" and install "flaming cold", compare and contrast with Malaga or Alicante.

Yet Brexiters would appear to take Fleetwood over those. The world's gone mad, and there isn't a medication to cure it.

Howardh

Established Member
Your posting reminds me of the film...."The Lion that Roared"
Is that the one where a fisherman/men took over the US as they were on holiday?? Anyhow, it's gonna be hilarious when countries large and small start telling little ol' UK where to go when we're begging for trade. All these undemocratic unelected bureaucrats in foreign countries telling us where to go....tsk.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I'd rather drink from a cow's trough than go to Blackpool for a holiday.... <shudders>

But worry not, as our currency devalues we (my wife and I) adjust our spending in this country. We'd rather have a few weeks away in the sunshine, with good food & wine than lose out to paying than months in the resorts of the UK. And we do have a plan B...... ;)

Your posting reminds me of the 1959 film...."The Mouse that Roared"

If Plan 'B' works out, it won't quite be the mouse that roared, more the mouse that said "Stuff it, leave the Brexiteers to it, we're off to enjoy our later years somewhere where people are a bit more relaxed & not obsessed with an Empire long lost"....

Howardh

Established Member
Well on a totally Brexit-related theme I've good news and bad news for myself. Situation is I'm between checks (done) and consultency (waiting) so no insurers will insure me for travel abroad until my heart condition is decided to be insignificant or requires treatment which will only come after the consultation - months away.

BUT I can travel with reduced insurance which covers unrelated health issues (ie broken leg) and use the EHIC to fill the gaps, so if I had a heart attack as it's urgent and life threatening I should get immediate treatment abroad on the EHIC. So, great, off I go.

The bad news is all that ends on November 1 (thanks, guys) so I won't be able to travel - in the worst-case senario - until after (say) a pacemaker is fitted, which could be well into the summer next year. And then my insurance will rocket from a present £50/annual to well above £150/an. Hopefully I will get the best-case senari which would be the consultant saying "no further action" and life can go on.

Anyone with medical issues who likes to travel to Europe needs to consider the future after the removal of the EHIC, however I'm told that if you put your hand on a blue passport it cures all conditions.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well if Bury FC close down, I might have to start supporting Fleetwood which is just up the road from Blackpool!! Just think, a dirty weekend at the North Euston but remove "dirty" and install "flaming cold", compare and contrast with Malaga or Alicante. Yet Brexiters would appear to take Fleetwood over those. The world's gone mad, and there isn't a medication to cure it.

Your mention of Fleetwood and Spanish resorts brings back memories of a verse from the Stanley Accrington poem "Last Train to Dobcross", put to music by The Oldham Tinkers.....
"And at three in the morning when I used to sign on
I lie awake half in a dream
I'm a guard on a special that's bound for the coast
With a 4-6-0 getting up steam
We've got packages for printers and pigeons to release
Spare seats after Heywood not one
Now they jump on a plane for a fortnight in Spain
And the last train to Fleetwood has gone"

Status
Not open for further replies.