• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCF23

Crianlarich on the West Highland line in Scotland is lovely due to it being in the mountains. St Pancras looks great although is now ruined by all the shops and the fact that all domestic trains do not leave from the original Barlow train shed. In London i like Paddington and Kings Cross. Also like York,Crewe and Chester. And hate Euston, Birmingham New Street and Waterloo only now they have automatic barriers and don't sell platform tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LilLoaf

Without a a doubt it has to be Newcastle Central in well Newcastle on a friday afternoon when all the hen party arrive dressed in funny costumes. Also the staff are friendly and dont mind trains spotters. Its a station thats always bustling with activity and quite a few differant trains around aswell.

Yay Go Newcastle

Phoenix

Established Member
Has to be Water Orton cause I spent alot of time as a small child there watching Intercity 47's on cross countries and 31's on engineers on good old 37's on tanks.
And I can still remember sitting on the old sleepers on the platform eating marmite sandwiches.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Crianlarich on the West Highland line in Scotland is lovely due to it being in the mountains.

Cracking cafe as welll - they serve a brilliant breakfast.

I forgot Malton on the Scarborough line, charming with lots of character. Always pleasant to be there.

Waverley125

I can completely understand some of the comments about Leeds. I really feel the main ticket hall needs to be rebuilt, preferably in an Art Deco style, to complement the north ticket hall. Yes, it would be a juxtaposition of old & new, but it really is a fantastic hidden gem of the network.

For those visiting leeds, the 'White rose' pub on the concourse is a pleasant place to spend half on hour waiting for a train. And with Marstons & Davenports on Draught! Only way to improve would be if it was Black Sheep & Theakstons Best.

matchmaker

Established Member
I must put a word in for my local station - Stirling. Lots of character, the largest mechanical signal box in Scotland and a variety of trains ranging from local Scotrail services through to the "Highland Chieftain", the Inverness portion of the sleeper and now (via Alloa) MGR traffic to Longannet.

Pity about the hideous new footbridge :-x:-x

route:oxford

Established Member
I must put a word in for my local station - Stirling. Lots of character, the largest mechanical signal box in Scotland and a variety of trains ranging from local Scotrail services through to the "Highland Chieftain", the Inverness portion of the sleeper and now (via Alloa) MGR traffic to Longannet.

Pity about the hideous new footbridge :-x:-x

Indeed. It's not exactly in keeping.

A few years ago a great deal of money was spent on building lift shafts that were very much in keeping with the Caledonian style to improve access to platforms 3-8 (my numbering may be wrong). The new bridge, is well behind schedule and ugliler than the back of the original Thistle centre.

I'm not sure if Stirling could be a favourite station though. Even on the warmest summers day there is a biting wind billowing along the platforms and little in the way of adequate shelter.

asylumxl

Established Member
I kinda used to enjoy going from kings cross thameslink to st pancras and getting on a MML train...

I don't like the completed St Pancras. Who's dumb idea was it to make it a mall? Ontop of that, whos dumb idea was it to have arrivals from the Eurostar coming out into main walkway?

randompilgrim

Does it have to be up-country???

If not i would say Devonport, only the local services stop there but its FGW controlled and it is on the main line to penzance....

Main reason is because it is very peaceful and well away from the hustle and bustle of the city!

Tacker

Starcross Devon cos i spend a lot of time down there plus nice pub and chippy near by.Also like Tamworth

mumrar

Established Member
Very large stations: Manchester Piccadilly, Waterloo (if there were less people especially!)
Well they wouldn't be very large if no-one used them would they.

Newcastle on a friday afternoon when all the hen party arrive dressed in funny costumes.
I call them slag do's. Pink cowboy hats check, 'L' plates check, halos or angel wings check, comedy c*cks on a necklace check. For gods sake girls, be original, it's bad enough you all choose from a range of precisely four tattoos (not that they're my thing but I'm observational)

Mine Now:
I like Bristol TM and York for their stunning roof structrues, Paddington too because there was nothing like standing under four-span as all those ticking over Valentas reverberated!

On a smaller scale I like Tyseley, Ribblehead and Penzance.

But most of all I love New St, I spotted here, I work here, I practically live here. And just like you never notice your partner make weight gains, have spots, get wrinkles, the familiarity is what makes it feel like home. I don't know how I'll feel about the new station but I will shed a tear for the passing of the current. Dark and cold it may be, it's MY dark and cold station thank you!

Ferret

Established Member
A very passionate, and articulate defence of New St there Matt! I have to say that my take on the place is entirely different, despite my job!

To me New St is a source of personal embarassment! As a proud Brummie it really grates that Manchester and even Leeds have more welcoming, light and airy stations than we do. The sooner New Street in it's present form is gone, the better!!!

ungreat

New Streets a dump,but an atmospheric one..I like it.

I used to like the OLD Derby station before that monstrosity they put up.I remember going there in 1976 to watch the first HST set roll out of the works.

But my favourite has to be St Pancras before the revamp..many a time worked the 0001 parcels train from there and the nighttime view of that place was awesome.Heres a few other favourites...

Liverpool Street before the refurb a few years back

Stockton

Penistone(with the electrics)

Blackpool South (the old one)

The old Marylebone

northernbored

Well medium station I would have to say Bridlington, just because it's clean, tidy, never too busy and the depature screens work most of the time :). It's also very funny when they decied to put train depature annoucments out, "The train on platform err 6 is err the service to Sheffield err calling at..."

As I large station I really like Sheffield, dont know why!
I like Doncaster and London Kings Cross aswell.

Bittern

Established Member
My favourite place in the world is Glasgow Central. I just love standing at one of the long platforms and watching the trains start and terminate. The sounds there are also great.

As for medium stations, gotta give it up to Motherwell. This station is very nostalgic for me, because as a kid, my Grandpa used to take me there to watch the GNERs and Virgins go by. I loved it (though not the Virgin HSTs. No way! I still don't like thatl ivery they were in!)

Small stations, Hamilton West and Mount Florida.

Very small stations, Hairmyres. I love small, single platform stations, and this was the first train station I had been waiting in for a train in the dark. Winter last year, just left the Hospital and was heading to Glasgow. I loved it, especially when the train arrived (seeing just the lights of the train coming and hearing her engine roar was brilliant!)

Preserved Stations, well, I haven't been on all that much Heritage lines. Bo'ness when I was a kid, though I hardly remember it, I was too young. Isle of White Steam Railway is the one I've been on most, so I'm going to say Haven Street

43021HST

Established Member
Ok, the only rule here is that it has to be a current station in use on the public network NOT on a preserved line etc.

It can be for any reason whatsoever! Cleanliness, history, quality of staff(!), anything!

I will start the ball rolling with Leeds. The perfect example of how a modern station should be. Though I will admit that Manchester Piccadilly comes close.

Yes but Leeds doesnt have enough platforms for its services and I prefered it before it was redone. It had a nice atmoshere about it.Now it just has a shopping mall feel to it with that new roof.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
All 3 stations in the County of Wrexham, the main one with 4 tracks and two
brand new bays is a pleasure to use due to W/S, clean,safe,staffed,lifts,W/S cafe
toilets cleaned by W/S staff and a brand new cafe.

Two years ago it was dirty,a part timed staffed halt with no care or waiting room,w/cs what a transformation.

Ruabon & Chirk unmanned but clean/ with indicators & loudspeakers at last
both a pleasure to use. Ruabon is also a bus interchange for the old Llangollen to Barmouth line, however the Buses are brand new Arrivas, unlike the 20 year old DMUs they feed belonging to the sister company.

Last edited:

GospelOak117

Walthamstow Queens Road - Looks like a forgotten station in the middle of nowhere but is infact in the middle of a huge suburban slum. Back in NSE days it was so quiet and overgrown with weeds it didnt even look open, then in the distance appeared an ancient 117, fantastic atmosphere.

I hope electrification never reaches this line its one of a kind in London!!

I like york its a great place to do a days spotting i also like newcastle.
my local is berwick-upon-tweed and i love watching the trains come across the royal border bridge its somthing else. worst place is durham they would not even let me on the platform unless i was traveling

mick

My favourite station as got to be stafford with the good staff and all the frieght train on the wcml

Status
Not open for further replies.