• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK

Established Member
I heard that if a trainee spads while the driver trainer is in the cab then the driver trainer is responsible and it goes on their record. I assume if this is true it would put a lot off.

It varies from company to company, some have as 455 driver has said 2 licenses but some just have one. For example if you have a road learner who has 20 years experience in the cab with you and you are a DI and there is an incident then the DI gets the blame, the same goes for anyone driving who is not competent in any of the criteria needed for the rules, route and traction. The DI role is not easy and I personally do not think the enhanced pay is enough to merit the risk, I have had new drivers before questioning me on where to brake for stations, signals and speeds as far as I am concerned if a DI says jump the trainee says how high or is on the cushions for the rest of the day. I have even had one trainee that I refused to work with due to their attitude towards the drivers role.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

Had another email this morning to update the on hold candidates. Saying positions are opening early 2015 with no definitive date or how many numbers are being taken on. Kind of echos what was said on the phone but im writing.
Still, contact is good :)
Anyone else had emails
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Had another email this morning to update the on hold candidates. Saying positions are opening early 2015 with no definitive date or how many numbers are being taken on. Kind of echos what was said on the phone but im writing.
Anyone else had emails

Anyone else had emails
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone else had emails

Same John.

russmcp

And me too. Fingers crossed, though if about 100 odd people have the same email I'll be a little worried about missing the boat. Hope it's good news in the next few months.

Johncleesefan

Im westbury myself. Where r you other guys for who jave had the email. Wonder if there is a trend in geographical location or something?

Trainer74

I'm still waiting for my DM interview for paddington! Was told I passed stage 2 back in Jan! Anyone else in the same boat?

ultra4

And me too. Fingers crossed, though if about 100 odd people have the same email I'll be a little worried about missing the boat. Hope it's good news in the next few months.

Most likely in 2015.

BromleyBoi

I attained a borderline pass on the 1st Stage Assessments at Reading in May 2013 with FGW for trainee driver at Paddington and was dumped in the filing cabinet as they were only looking for "good passes". I have subsequently passed the further assessments/interviews with Southern and am now out doing my driving hours prior to sitting my final.

Having not heard anything from FGW since last June I'd assumed I was no longer on file especially having got the job with Southern, only to receive an email last Tuesday inviting me for an interview in Reading for next week, so they are definitely still processing applications. You'll be relieved to know I immediately withdrew myself from the running as I'm happy where I am, but good luck to all those out there and keep the faith, it may take a while but you get there eventually.

oxoneil

Internal recruitment is currently ongoing, opened mid week.

NX

So there are people waiting having passed everything bar medical and they are recruiting internally. How will this affect those currently waiting I wonder?

NX

There are huge changes going on over the next 18-24 months, I wouldn't worry to much.

NX

oxoneil

There are huge changes going on over the next 18-24 months, I wouldn't worry to much.

NX

Sounds promising, go on then, what do you know? New routes, electrification, reduced working week, large amount of retirements? PM if you don't feel comfortable revealing all in an open answer.

Sounds promising, go on then, what do you know? New routes, electrification, reduced working week, large amount of retirements? PM if you don't feel comfortable revealing all in an open answer.

More trains on existing routes is one. I know the plan is to implement a 15min train frequency from Bristol to London once IEP is up and running. Also, with the planned cascade of Turbo units to Bristol and the equivalent cascade of sprinter units to Devon, there will be more local trains around the West Country and South West.

The Portishead branch is also due to open in a couple of years.

More of a rumour, but there are hints going around of a possible upcoming harmonisation package looking which is likely to include Sunday in the working week.

oxoneil

More trains on existing routes is one. I know the plan is to implement a 15min train frequency from Bristol to London once IEP is up and running. Also, with the planned cascade of Turbo units to Bristol and the equivalent cascade of sprinter units to Devon, there will be more local trains around the West Country and South West.

The Portishead branch is also due to open in a couple of years.

More of a rumour, but there are hints going around of a possible upcoming harmonisation package looking which is likely to include Sunday in the working week.

Mmm seems any increase on the Great Western line would only benefit qualified drivers I would imagine seeing as it's currently HST only and everything else you describe, bar the "more trains on existing routes" is in the South West. Pretty good if you're down that way I guess.

Mmm seems any increase on the Great Western line would only benefit qualified drivers I would imagine seeing as it's currently HST only and everything else you describe, bar the "more trains on existing routes" is in the South West. Pretty good if you're down that way I guess.

Not at all. A large amount of west and LTV drivers are likely to transfer over to HSS in the coming months to cover the increased workload IEP will bring, leaving a large amount of drivers needed to come into the West/LTV links. Not too sure on the types of trains planned to replace the Turbo Units in LTV land but whatever they are, that will be your core traction in the coming years.

oxoneil

Not at all. A large amount of west and LTV drivers are likely to transfer over to HSS in the coming months to cover the increased workload IEP will bring, leaving a large amount of drivers needed to come into the West/LTV links. Not too sure on the types of trains planned to replace the Turbo Units in LTV land but whatever they are, that will be your core traction in the coming years.

OK thanks that sounds promising then for the people waiting.

455driver

Veteran Member

It is called 'integration' this week because they realised 'harmonisation' was never going to work! :lol:

As for Sundays inside, they can FRO with that idea, I am just about to move away from that! <D

SkinnyDave

Established Member
It is called 'integration' this week because they realised 'harmonisation' was never going to work! :lol:

As for Sundays inside, they can FRO with that idea, I am just about to move away from that! <D

It is looking more likely that it will come in, depends on vote etc but they are talking about 4 days on 4 days off and that seems to be gaining support if it does indeed get proposed in black and white.
If Sunday was to be brought inside then I am for 4 on 4 off personally speaking

Status
Not open for further replies.