• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlionhart

Congratulations ML! You got there in the end :)
Watch this space, you'll be offered a job with GWR in the coming weeks. I started training then got offered a job a few weeks later with SWT.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oxoneil

LTV/EAST

d_kingscott -OXFORD
Oxoneil -OXFORD
SMUDGE -OXFORD
Run1nstar -PADDINGTON
Mightyirons77 -PADDINGTON
Greg1205 -READING

WEST

Maybe -BRISTOL
Ml -BRISTOL
Skjonesfamily -GLOUCESTER
Fgr_FGW -GLOUCESTER

At the moment that's how the list stands.
(Which I'll update if any lurkers decide to register and post to the forum)

Just found an old list from way back, from what I've been told there are some on this list who've now been offered jobs with other companies or are applying for other places now.

I'm still waiting for Oxford, is anyone else?

Nick82

I understand this post is mainly aimed at FGW but does anyone know when the last time or next time TPE may be recruiting in the NE. Looked for a while but nothing seems to be advertised in the north.

oxoneil

i understand this post is solely aimed at fgw but does anyone know when the last time or next time tpe may be recruiting in the ne. Looked for a while but nothing seems to be advertised in the north.

ftfy.

Johncleesefan

HTML:

I don't think it is overmanned, still vacancies in the non starter links which the starter link people will start moving over to

oxoneil

Was looking at the aslef driver council report for august and in there it mentions they are putting pressure on fgw to take on redundant freight men not sure what impact this will have

Great, just what I need, another obstacle plonked in the way.

455driver

Veteran Member
While you are all hanging on trying to get straight on as trainee drivers a colleagues son starts on November 9th as a Customer Host (doubling his current wage), this will then give him access to the internal vacancy list!

Just saying like!

ML, the message you just posted from GWR, was this received in the last few days or was this from the past, I spoke with HR the other day and was told the same verbally but I haven't received any email updates recently, I am interested to see if they are sending out update emails now

oxoneil

Dear

This is just a brief note to advise that unfortunately we still do not have an update with regard to your trainee train driver application.

The workforce plans are still being reviewed and until this process has been completed we are unable to authorise any further recruitment.

It is therefore unlikely that there will be a training course in November, however should this change we will of course be in touch.

We appreciate your continued patience in this matter and hope to be able to provide a further update soon.

They've been saying this for over a year now. Must be the longest review ever.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
While you are all hanging on trying to get straight on as trainee drivers a colleagues son starts on November 9th as a Customer Host (doubling his current wage), this will then give him access to the internal vacancy list!

Just saying like!

Does it pay more than £K34 a year? If not I'll stay where I am, stick it out for another 5 years and then take the money and run. I feel there is no light at the end of this application tunnel. Thoroughly depressing the whole thing.

Last edited:

NX

Customer Host circa £22,000 basic
Train Guard circa £29,000 basic
Train Manager circa £34,000 basic

The latter two can do at least £10,000 over basic with Sunday, RDW and commission easy.

NX

oxoneil

Customer Host circa £22,000 basic
Train Guard circa £29,000 basic
Train Manager circa £34,000 basic

The latter two can do at least £10,000 over basic with Sunday, RDW and commission easy.

NX

Perhaps I should apply now then, they might call me by the time I've left what I'm doing now in 2021.

d_kingscott

Well today an email came, I expected some kind of offer of a medical.. no, just an email to ay the business plan is under review and they will be in touch soon... :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Hi d Kingscott & Mightyirons97, I also received the same email today, I too was hoping that it was the call for a medical but no such luck, to be honest I wasn’t expecting to hear anything soon as the last info i had several months ago was they were concentrating on the west, has anyone got any news on that and if they have started, how they may be getting on as this may give us a clue as to when they may come back to LTV. Not sure how long you guys you have been awaiting probably the same as me which is exactly 2 yrs 2 months now !!!!!!!!!! What depot are you guys applying for I am for Paddington. It would be nice just to know if it will happen next year don’t care when as the tests run out Sept 16. Anyone out there now what is happening with FGW now GWR in general, it seems disheartening that several other TOC’s are actively recruiting but there has been little or no movement with GWR the last 2 yrs. How many from this GWR recruitment drive have now got offers from GTR etc? Any comments on GWR most welcome.

Maybe

Yeh got the same email. I am in hold for Bristol, first assessment in April 2013. I know they had n intake of trainees there a couple of months ago. I have given up to be honest, and off the basis that I was good enough to pass etc, but others where obviously better..

Got the same email today as well. The positive side of me is thinking this maybe be the initial start of some potential movement in the near future, why would they carry out a check on the talent pool (one we have all been sitting in for 2 yrs) if it wasn't to establish who is still waiting to join each depot, there has been a lot of TOC's recruiting recently and from the different posts on here I am sure many may have come form the GWR talent pool, (well done to those who have found other positons). The email I got was for Paddington, have others got an email for other depots or is it only for Paddington, i am trying to see if there are any clues or if it just a general clean up of the talent pool.

oxoneil

I've had both and I'm waiting on Oxford. It's a right old mess which my current work mates are totally amazed by.

External applicant.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if mark282 ever had any idea how long this thread would become?

Status
Not open for further replies.