• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's brilliant to hear, thanks for the reply!

It would be mostly Streetlites I would say which isn't too bad! Newish vehicles and are pretty good operating around West Lothian and Falkirk.
They really are not good vehicles…

Newish is one thing, but even a newish but can be dilapidated.

I wonder how long it will be till they close Balfron.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Looking at the vehicles likely to transfer to McGills are 43871 and 68566 still in use?

stevenedin

Established Member
I was just curious but once McGill’s took over Xplore Dundee did some fleet movements happen either to or from the west coast?

I’m assuming that they will be like other big bus companies and buses can move depots from outside their own individual areas which may mean be a good thing in some way.

Whatever happened to the StreetLite that went on fire in Gorgie?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Something that has not been mentioned so far regarding fares is that the existing arrangement is that First Glasgow and SPT products are accepted on the X36/37 between Glasgow and Cumbernauld Village/Castlecary, and the Scotland East products are also accepted on the X3 between Glasgow and Cumbernauld.

It is also noted that in Condorrat, the sole remaining Glasgow route is the X36/37 as Stagecoach (Ayr) took off the X28 back in July. Although reasonably not expecting McGills and First Glasgow to continue the present arrangement above, will McGills still accept SPT products between Glasgow and Cumbernauld?

Stephen1001

Asking as a non-local, does anyone know what traditionally might be included under each of the ‘Midland Bluebird’ and ‘Eastern Scottish’ businesses when they transfer to McGills? Stirling/Falkirk area routes for the former and Livingston/Edinburgh area routes for the latter?
Precisely

This is indeed the traditional (and logical) division. It wasn't always followed by First, though: for much of the 2000s, Galashiels depot - as far away from Stirling as First Scotland East and its predecessors ever got - was legally part of Midland.

Observer

Are McGill's still not recognising unions as part of any pay agreements? I seem to recall it was something frequently mentioned back in the day, pre-Arriva.

I've just seen 31794,796 & 799 exit Larbert depot heading towards Stirling. Any idea what they are for and did anyone know Larbert had these vehicles? Edit: From what I can see there looks to be more YN53's inside Larbert that are not 31792.

Last edited by a moderator:

Observer

I've just seen 31794,796 & 799 exit larbert depot heading towards Stirling. Any idea what they are for and did anyone know larbert had these vehicles? Edit: From what I can see there looks to be more YN53's inside larbert that are not 31792
The ex-Glasgow Geminis are replacing OmniDekkas which are proving to be unreliable.

mb88

I wonder if Livingston will retain its exact fare policy when the new owners come in, given that McGill’s current operations in the west of Scotland (and all other FSE garages) give change? Not sure about the Dundee operation.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I wonder if Livingston will retain its exact fare policy when the new owners come in, given that McGill’s current operations in the west of Scotland (and all other FSE garages) give change? Not sure about the Dundee operation.
Dundee is exact fare. I can't see any reason why West Lothian would change their policy, at least not in the short term.

mb88

Dundee is exact fare. I can't see any reason why West Lothian would change their policy, at least not in the short term.
Thank you. As I said I wasn’t sure about Dundee. Would have been strange if Livingston had been the only garage with exact fare.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I always think offering change should be a thing to be honest as it opens up opportunities for people to use the bus without having to use a shop to get change first. I've surprisingly seen a lot more cash paying bus users than I thought I would to be honest. The X10 and 38 I used today both had a few. Unfortunately, on the X37 back into Glasgow, the ticket machine was broken but it did seem like a few intended to use cash but the driver let everyone on free of charge.

317 forever

Established Member
GRT purchased Midland Bluebird as part of the privatisation of Scottish Bus Group (SBG). They then acquired former SBG subsidiaries SMT and Lowland.

Once GRT became FirstBus as a result of the merger with Badgerline, they purchased Strathclyde Buses together with Kelvin Central which is owned.

Yet now, all the central Scotland operations owned by FirstBus inherited from GRT will have closed or been divested.

overthewater

Established Member
GRT purchased Midland Bluebird as part of the privatisation of Scottish Bus Group (SBG). They then acquired former SBG subsidiaries SMT and Lowland.

Once GRT became FirstBus as a result of the merger with Badgerline, they purchased Strathclyde Buses together with Kelvin Central which is owned.

Yet now, all the central Scotland operations owned by FirstBus inherited from GRT will have closed or been divested.

Hindsight is a wondering thing, you have to wonder if back in 1997 the SB holding review forced First to sell two depots if a different outcome might have happened?

With the imminent change to McGill's, I thought I'd record some of what I saw today:
31792 - 38
32675 - 1
32680 - 1
33207 - 38
36014 - 7
36019 - 7
44911 - 5
47531 - F45
47534 - 29
63256 - 2
63257 - 6
63258 - 2
63259 - 2
63263 - 2
65708 - 1
65713 - 35
65753 - 4
67746 - X37
67758 - X37
69115 - 35
69404 - X38

lastbus

Rumour has it the 68 plate E400 MMCs are to return to First Glasgow prior to the takeover.

317 forever

Established Member
Hindsight is a wondering thing, you have to wonder if back in 1997 the SB holding review forced First to sell two depots if a different outcome might have happened?
Those depots could have landed up in someone else's hands who may well have subsequently expanded or been taken over.

Another irony: First were initially instructed to divest Midland Bluebird and the western part of SMT (plus a Glasgow depot). In the event, First are only just divesting this now, but in the intervening years pulled out of their other Edinburgh operations (SMT eastern and Lowland) a few years ago.

overthewater

Established Member
First should have just sold off Airdrie depot and one other and maybe this mess would have never had happened.

If this was 2016 or even 2018 then maybe McGills could have done something but I just can't see any changes this side of xmas let alone Easter next year. I will never understand why First never tried some blue sky thinking. Half the time the company lost money so surly you would think it would be allowed to try some brand idea new like what Lothian did with the 48 instead of the same old;

* Remember The Scotrail controls and Scottish bus holdings controls which required First Edinburgh to operate a legal minimum level of services

I think we might not see any real benefit from McGills take over until 2024.

Whiteway215

Established Member
It was reported on a private Facebook group that 31800/01/03 have moved to Larbert, with 31794/96/99 being at Bannockburn. 32568, 32572 and 32590 are also to join. These are for school contracts, to replace the 68-plate E400MMCs and Omnidekkas.
So that makes nine transferring from Glasgow. It will be interesting to see if any more are transferring. I believe there are seven 68 plate E400MMCs but many more Omnidekkas.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
With Glasgow having a number of the 66 plate E400MMCs - is there no talk of them transferring too? Or will they be included in the order transferring to McGills?

Volvodart

Established Member
Maybe the 68 plates are due to the terms of the Scottish Government funding which normally lasts 5 years.

alphabravo43

Maybe the 68 plates are due to the terms of the Scottish Government funding which normally lasts 5 years.
I’m pretty sure the 68 plates aren’t subject to any funding due to them being straight diesel buses unlike the BYD/ADL electric doubles that Glasgow got. It’s just unfortunately standard from First, cherry picking the good stuff and sending in rubbish to replace before sale. I would have thought some would stay, is there any obligation to the university for the unilink service? I thought there was at one point?

Status
Not open for further replies.