• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flybmi - another one bites the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Given that the buying consortium is led by Virgin Atlantic, I would be VERY surprised if they kept flying as Flybe.
From Flybe's twitter feed;
Today's confirmation of the sale of Flybe to Connect Airways secures an exciting future for our customers & employees as we continue to provide vital regional connectivity in the UK & beyond. Our confirmed schedule operates as normal & you can book now at http://flybe.com
So not much of a clue there, then!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
Blaming this on brexit is complete and utter nonsense and typical fearmongering by the pro EU lobby. If it is really due to brexit then how do all the airlines in non EU countries such as, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Turkey, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc etc etc, all manage to survive. There are many other reasons that airlines (or any company) can go in to administration and have to shut down other than brexit.

You do understand that this company operated contract flights for some organisations apart from operating their scheduled flights.

Uncertainty about the impact of Brexit would undoubtedly affect the certainty of being able to continue to do that.

It’s certainly plausible that Brexit was a factor.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There was something in the Times yesterday (paywall so can't quote) saying that Loganair who are part of the same group will be taking over some Flybmi schedules and even using the same aircraft, but Flybmi tickets won't be honoured. Sounds like one of those pre-pack retail administrations where the business apparently continues but manages to shed most of its debts and usually doesn't honour gift vouchers.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
British Midland, BMI Baby and now BMI Regional all gone.

Incidentally BMI Baby went bust years before any mention of Brexit !!!
I don't think bmibaby went bust. They were making money but bmi (or rather, IAG) decided to fold the business as running costs of the aging 737-500s they leased soared after continued fuel price rises, as I seem to recall.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Bmibaby was an orderly shutdown as I recall. Notice was given that it would cease trading from a particular date and presumably no ticket-holders lost their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.