• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying Scotsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laneylou

It is joining the carriages at Crewe nxt wednesday,on display in the Heritage centre till midday ..also from 4-9 tuesday ..
:D
Crewe - Holyhead return..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Is it the 2nd, 10th & 17th July and another date that TFS is coming along the Tyne Valley Line, sure those were the dates I saw.
"Flying Scotsman" will work over the Tyne Valley line on the 2nd (eastbound only), 10th and 17th of July, the 7th, 14th and 21st of August and the 4th and 11th of September.

For those who wish to check the locos' whereabouts for themselves, the official tour page really isn't hard to find:
http://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/events/scotsman-on-the-tracks/

Nor is the Railway Touring Co. website, who appear to be the promoter for many (all?) of these trips:
http://www.railwaytouring.net/uk-day-trips/

Deepgreen

Established Member
great western railway has banned the public from swindon station to watch flying scotsman pass through non stop tonight stating there are lots of other plces to view it !!!!

They can only ban those without valid tickets, who should not have access to the platforms in any case. "Other places" will presumably include their other stations, or, even better - send people flocking to the lineside, crossings, etc., rather than a controlled station environment. Genius!

Deepgreen

Established Member
That would be incorrect.

Which part do you perceive to be incorrect - that only people holding valid tickets (platform or travel) should be able to gain access to the platforms, or that GWR cannot "ban" people who do hold valid tickets on the basis that they may want to see FS rather than travel on a service train (without, of course, closing the station completely)? Unless they ask every person individually what their intentions are (and take their word for it) on entering the station, would they just apply a random policy of refusing entry?

Last edited:

Established Member
Which part do you perceive to be incorrect - that only people holding valid tickets (platform or travel) should be able to gain access to the platforms, or that GWR cannot "ban" people who do hold valid tickets on the basis that they may want to see FS rather than travel on a service train (without, of course, closing the station completely)? Unless they ask every person individually what their intentions are (and take their word for it) on entering the station, would they just apply a random policy of refusing entry?

If no service trains are due they do not HAVE to let anyone onto the station.

Deepgreen

Established Member
If no service trains are due they do not HAVE to let anyone onto the station.

What do you mean by "due"? What is the time period specified in this definition? Ten service trains called at Swindon in the hour from 1900, and FS passed at 1946. I cannot imagine that anyone would consider closing the entire station (which is what it amounts to) for this purpose - if they did, it would result in extreme adverse comment from passengers!

Last edited:

Established Member
What do you mean by "due"? What is the time period specified in this definition? Ten service trains called at Swindon in the hour from 1900, and FS passed at 1946.

There wasn't a train timetabled to arrive for 10 minutes either side. But all of this is ignoring the fact that valid ticket or not, you do not have to be allowed access to the station or the platforms.

Deepgreen

Established Member
There wasn't a train timetabled to arrive for 10 minutes either side. But all of this is ignoring the fact that valid ticket or not, you do not have to be allowed access to the station or the platforms.

Not true either - there were arrivals scheduled at 1955 and 2002 from Paddington, with a scheduled pass time for FS at 1953. In the event, FS actually passed at 1946 and there were two arrivals at 1941 and one at 1955. As I said before, closing Swindon station completely for FS to pass would have been farcical.

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
Steam Dreams publicity is still saying that 60103 is running Euston to Holyhead on the 15th whereas any man and his dog knows it isn't.

That is what I mean by negligence and whilst I know that SD are contacting its booked clients privately they need to pull or edit their other media outlets too.

They have also been had by IE and Dublin to Sligo has been refused for steam haulage as too heavily graded! Ye Gods - bloody 21st Century railway managers! Verster is ex IE - you can see his legacy still.

I further understand that as a peace offering to passengers who have the temerity to approach SD about miss-selling, that 60103 is apparently doing a fairly smart turn on the Wylfa triangle and those who feel short changed are being offered 60103 back to Chester and then coach to their hotels overnight.

The Irish Steam looks mouth watering otherwise and apart from the fact that I have had to rejig my last two nights over there I am hoping for some good photography to make up for not getting any as a passenger last month.

All we need now is timings Crewe - Holyhead - Chester

D1009

Established Member
Is the Flying Scotsman the only steam loco having problems with tresspassers on it's journeys?
Not 100%, but yes, its fame is such as to fill the column inches of local newspapers anywhere it passes. This attracts people with no knowledge of the railway to the lineside in large numbers. Even having seen the evidence of near misses, I think most people's instincts for self preservation make it very unlikely for any bad result to occur, but this is totally contrary to the safety culture on the railway.

hurricanemk1c

They have also been had by IE and Dublin to Sligo has been refused for steam haulage as too heavily graded! Ye Gods - bloody 21st Century railway managers! Verster is ex IE - you can see his legacy still.

Incorrect. Steam locos (specifically number 4) are allowed along the Sligo road all the way, but restricted to 30mph due to weight restrictions along various bridges (hence why 201s are similarly restricted to emergency use only @ 25mph). 461 has made it to Mullingar in the last couple of years but the issue would be turntables at Sligo. The issue for steam haulage to Sligo is crew issues, as a number of steam men are either on holiday or out sick. Originally it was supposed to be one steamer in the South (4) but with locos barred over the South Wexford the use of 461 has not helped matters. For that particular day you would require two steam crews (as they start from Cork that day) and the resources simply aren't there from both Irish Rail and RPSI

The load incidently is booked as 5 Cravens + BR Van - about 190 tonnes off the top of my head

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Steam Dreams publicity is still saying that 60103 is running Euston to Holyhead on the 15th whereas any man and his dog knows it isn't.

That is what I mean by negligence and whilst I know that SD are contacting its booked clients privately they need to pull or edit their other media outlets too.

I further understand that as a peace offering to passengers who have the temerity to approach SD about miss-selling, that 60103 is apparently doing a fairly smart turn on the Wylfa triangle and those who feel short changed are being offered 60103 back to Chester and then coach to their hotels overnight.

The Irish Steam looks mouth watering otherwise and apart from the fact that I have had to rejig my last two nights over there I am hoping for some good photography to make up for not getting any as a passenger last month.

All we need now is timings Crewe - Holyhead - Chester

Point of order: The website only says hauled by Flying Scotsman it doesn't say hauled by Flying Scotsman from Euston. That makes a difference in interpretation.

They should, to my mind, make clear from where FS will haul the train!

Deepgreen

Established Member
Point of order: The website only says hauled by Flying Scotsman it doesn't say hauled by Flying Scotsman from Euston. That makes a difference in interpretation.

They should, to my mind, make clear from where FS will haul the train!

Some sites (admittedly not that of the operator) still shows FS hauling from Euston and back - e.g. UKSteam, which is normally quite accurate when changes are made to itineraries.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The Flying Scotsman was in Grimsby 40mins ago!

Attachments

• 20160610_192044-1.jpg
    20160610_192044-1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20160610_191627.jpg
    20160610_191627.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
The downloadable PDF was showing it last night - it has today been replaced by the 2016/8 Brochure

Boothby97

Established Member

jon01

Taken from the Les Ross webpage:

On Wednesday 15th June 86259 will depart Euston with 10 carriages at 09:15 stopping for more passengers at Milton Keynes (10:10), Northampton (10:29) and Rugby (10:48). The train is bound for Crewe at approximately 12:20, where 60103, Flying Scotsman, will take over the coaching stock and proceed on towards Holyhead, arriving there at about 16:30 pm. About an hour later, the train will return to Crewe for 20:30 and the coaching stock will be hauled back at up to 100 m.p.h. to Euston by 86259 with a scheduled arrival at 23:38

Tracked

Established Member
Near Thorpe-In-Balne this morning, coming onto the ECML, me and a dozen or so others were on the new bridge - there were a few people who hadn't been since the work had been done & were expecting the old manual LC :D

Attachments

• IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 74

chrismid259

Taken from the Les Ross webpage:
On Wednesday 15th June 86259 will depart Euston with 10 carriages at 09:15 stopping for more passengers at Milton Keynes (10:10), Northampton (10:29) and Rugby (10:48). The train is bound for Crewe at approximately 12:20, where 60103, Flying Scotsman, will take over the coaching stock and proceed on towards Holyhead, arriving there at about 16:30 pm. About an hour later, the train will return to Crewe for 20:30 and the coaching stock will be hauled back at up to 100 m.p.h. to Euston by 86259 with a scheduled arrival at 23:38

Does anyone think there may be a chance of a full timing schedule for at least the north Wales part the tour? This is the first timing information I've been able to find yet.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Does anyone think there may be a chance of a full timing schedule for at least the north Wales part the tour? This is the first timing information I've been able to find yet.

It will be available, it's just a case of when, I cannot see anything currently. The only timings I can see at the moment are for the Holyhead-Valley-Holyhead light engine move to turn it around.

chrismid259

It will be available, it's just a case of when, I cannot see anything currently. The only timings I can see at the moment are for the Holyhead-Valley-Holyhead light engine move to turn it around.

Yes, I did notice this working but didn't realise Scotsman would be turning around so quickly or that the Holyhead-Valley working had anything to do with the Scotsman. May also catch her on the way back across north Wales too.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, I did notice this working but didn't realise Scotsman would be turning around so quickly or that the Holyhead-Valley working had anything to do with the Scotsman. May also catch her on the way back across north Wales too.

It's not turning around that quickly, it's staying at Valley NE for 50 minutes.

The Les Ross page isn't entirely accurate going from currently available timings. They say an arrival of 16:30 but the light engine actually departs at 16:12 so it's likely to arrive inbound at 16:00 or so. I can only assume they are putting out vague timings as per the recent trespass issues.

Last edited:

chrismid259

It's not turning around that quickly, it's staying at Valley NE for 50 minutes.

The Les Ross page isn't entirely accurate going from currently available timings. They say an arrival of 16:30 but the light engine actually departs at 16:12 so it's likely to arrive inbound at 16:00 or so. I can only assume they are putting out vague timings as per the recent trespass issues.

It would appear that way.

When I say 'quickly' I mean quicker than I was expecting. I would have expected a few hours at Holyhead. Still going to take a day trip to north Wales to grab some pics. :D

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
Exact timings have been issued. I understand that on the day tickets can be purchased from SD for the N Wales section - including the return working to Crewe due in at 22.00

enfysgwaed

no mention of the FS timings REALTIMETRAINS.CO.UK Any suggestions regarding the trip 15th june

Status
Not open for further replies.