• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I hadn't even noticed there was a huge round of completely and utterly pointless international friendlies this evening. In football that actually matters, Nigeria and Burkina Faso (whose match v. Ghana has featured one of the worst referees I've ever seen) have made Sunday's African Cup of Nations Final.

Football that "actually matters" and Burkina Faso in the same sentence - are you having a laugh :p

richw

Veteran Member
Football that "actually matters" and Burkina Faso in the same sentence - are you having a laugh :p

Who??? was my thought to that.
England played with a lot of passion tonight, why cant they do that in competitive matches

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Good result - but is it as meaningless as the victory over World and European Champions Spain last year?

Lampard again....why is that idiot Rafa not extending his contract :p

Anything played tonight is meaningless, yes (aside the African Cup of Nations). The only thing it'll achieve is giving England fans the impression they always get following things like this, that England are a world class team.

Also, I believe contract talks are the jobs of the Chief Execs, aren't they? The manager can request but it's all down to what the CE does.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well it does actually matter :| Ranking points, a place at this year's Confederations Cup at stake etc. Looking at the celebrations tonight, you do realise just how much this means to them. In a way I'd class African Cup of nations football as more akin to real football than the likes of England v. Brazil tonight. But as for whether it actually matters, yes, without a shadow of a doubt. Quite a stupid thing to imply it doesn't actually.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Anything played tonight is meaningless, yes (aside the African Cup of Nations). The only thing it'll achieve is giving England fans the impression they always get following things like this, that England are a world class team.

Also, I believe contract talks are the jobs of the Chief Execs, aren't they? The manager can request but it's all down to what the CE does.

My contention would be that The Africa Cup of Nations is a 2nd rate meaningless tournament of no importance to anyone in Europe - hence the degree of coverage afforded to it on terrestrial TV :idea:

richw

Veteran Member
The most significant and important result tonight was Scotland winning. Make the most of it in Scotland as you wont get many more wins going forward
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My contention would be that The Africa Cup of Nations is a 2nd rate meaningless tournament of no importance to anyone in Europe - hence the degree of coverage afforded to it on terrestial TV :idea:

Its on ITV 4 or something like that I think, even the final only makes ITV4!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
My contention would be that The Africa Cup of Nations is a 2nd rate meaningless tournament of no importance to anyone in Europe - hence the degree of coverage afforded to it on terrestrial TV :idea:

Yes, but it doesn't matter what people in Europe think about it, the fact is that it does matter more than events across Europe tonight. the amount of coverage it gets is immaterial. The ACON is more important.

Established Member
Far more important than England, Scotland or Burkina Faso, did anyone see the goalscorers in Hartlepool's 2-1 win over Notts County last Saturday ?

Peter Hartley and James Poole

Could anything similar happen at any other club ?

Butts

Veteran Member
Far more important than England, Scotland or Burkina Faso, did anyone see the goalscorers in Hartlepool's 2-1 win over Notts County last Saturday ?

Peter Hartley and James Poole

Could anything similar happen at any other club ?

Took me a while.....Hartleypoole .....very good :p

SS4

Established Member
Its on ITV 4 or something like that I think, even the final only makes ITV4!

The flip side is that most, if not all, of the games have been broadcast on ITV4. The only other competitions that get coverage is European Championships and the World Cup. The two semi-finals and the final have been/will be broadcast on Sports Extra. Presumably this was because ET and penalties were given priority over Scotland's game?

I'm with Matt, how can the ACON (a meaningful competition) be less important than a friendly? Not to mention you could tell it meant a lot to the Burkina Faso fans there let alone those in at home.

**** vuvuzelas though <(<(

richw

Veteran Member
What is going to be different this time ? - I'm sure he left over disagreements on spending levels :idea:

He left 12 months before the current regime took over, he was previously at the club under the owner who passed away around 18 months ago

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Frankly disgraceful.... Helping stewards out and gets booked. No wonder people dont ever help in this situation anymore...

If you think that is bad, spare a thought for poor old Ashley Vickers, who was sent off for helping the inept stewards out. :-x

One of the laws regards violent conduct towards people outside of the players on the pitch. That's why the Chelsea player got sent off for kicking the ball boy the other week. I presume a trip is only worthy of a yellow card, where-as a push or punch would have seen a red card?

Silly rule that needs a common sense overhaul. I expect the yellow will be rescinded.

Totally agree.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anyone with views on the possibility of future points deduction for not conforming to the new financial regulations that will affect the Premiership clubs. It appears that 13 clubs voted for, 6 clubs voted against and 1 club abstained, which was just enough to ensure the validity of this new proposal
It is said that the three clubs who currently would have been in trouble, had this now been in force considering the three-year ruling were Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City.

Oswyntail

Established Member
There is little or no logic to a points deduction as a penalty for most clubs for non-playing misdemeanours. A club outside the top and bottom groups will not feel any pain at all. As this misdemeanour covers player's hiring and contracts, a more suitable punishment would be a transfer and pay freeze at the club for a couple of seasons.
Points deductions could be used in other areas, though. Lose a point for a red card or a cumulated number of yellows and discipline might improve. It would need good referees and managers, though...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There is little or no logic to a points deduction as a penalty for most clubs for non-playing misdemeanours.

Two points said to be important to the English football authorities was the reduction of debt on club balance sheets and to ensure that clubs became more economically viable. It appears that Premiership clubs with American owners were trying to establish a similarity to that currently ruling in American major sports leagues, which specifically would affect the two clubs of Chelsea and Manchester City with their current financial modes, according to the corporate business advisor who was interviewed with regard to that specific matter.

JoeH

A week or two ago the regular posters of this thread were seemingly outraged when they believed Ferguson would be treated with greater leniency than Sam Allardyce after both made similar comments about referees.

Now it turns out that Ferguson was actually more harshly punished than Allardyce but people still seem to be outraged.

CC 72100

Established Member
A week or two ago the regular posters of this thread were seemingly outraged when they believed Ferguson would be treated with greater leniency than Sam Allardyce after both made similar comments about referees.

Now it turns out that Ferguson was actually more harshly punished than Allardyce but people still seem to be outraged.

But you and I both know that this will be overlooked! ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Also known as a slap on the wrist. Comments like that should result in a minimum 3 match STADIUM ban, and before anyone says anything I would say the same if its Brendan Rodgers, Micheal Laudraup, Mancini or anyone else. The FA needs to clamp down on conduct like that and a stadium ban is an acceptable punishment.

Would you settle for him being forced to watch Fort William FC for three consecutive weeks, with no supply of chewing gum made available...:D

andrew bell

The fact is Joe, Fergie has a history of saying things and getting off with little or no punishment and any other manager says something similar the book gets thrown at them. Its just a history of letting Fergie off and punishing everyone else. If the FA stepped in and handed harsher punishments (fines means nothing to managers and players in the premier league) then people will (slowly) get off his and Manchester United's back every time something like this happens.

My personal opinion of both Fergie and Allardyce's comments was they were both wrong to say what they did but Fergie brought up previous misdemenors and was punished more, quite correctly.