• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
As a matter of sheer interest, what is the highest ever fine given by the FA for a proved offence under the rule that was broken in this case , who was the person to be fined and in what year did this occur ?

I honestly dont know, Fergie got 20k and 2 match ban for similar comments about a referee in 2009.

flymo

Established Member
Of the fixtures this weekend I think a few could prove interesting. Anyway my armchair pundit predictions for a bit of fun.

I feel Southampton will give Manchester City a good run for their money and might even edge it. I think Newcastle will squeak a point at White Hart Lane.

Elsewhere I think Chelsea will crack a few past Wigan and Arsenal may well struggle against Sunderland. (coming from a Geordie that is almost sacrilege I know <D).

Wins for Stoke and Swansea and a point each for Norwich and Fulham

Sundays games I predict Villa to get a point against The Hammers and Manchester United to edge Liverpool EVERTON :oops: by a goal. (can't help thinking it will be a 3-2 or 4-3 kind of game :))

Of course now I put all that I guess exactly the opposite to happen...:):).

Right off now to put a quid on all that for my retirement fund....

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Yep correct, wrong side of Stanley Park.....amended :oops::oops:

Liverpool are at home to west brom Monday night
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21391842

Sir Alex is moaning about the premier league fixture schedule, and jokes how much he'd like to not turn up on Sunday to aid his champions league fixture on Wednesday. I actually agree with him for once as he's given justification for his opinion

andrew bell

Sir Alex is moaning about the premier league fixture schedule, and jokes how much he'd like to not turn up on Sunday to aid his champions league fixture on Wednesday. I actually agree with him for once as he's given justification for his opinion

If he wants to moan about the schedule he has 1 company to aim at. Sky TV. All fixtures are 'scheduled' for 1500 on Saturdays and 1945 on Tuesdays, but are allowed to be moved for live TV coverage. Sky and Manchester United have known for about 7 weeks about the Champions League match in Madrid, if Sir Alex wanted extra time to prepare and/or recover then he should of either requested a swap with the 1245 kick off on saturday or turned down the TV and played at 1500 Saturday.

I do agree with the criticism he has made about the scheduling, especially when Read Madrid play Saturday night against Seville.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Make it playing as a central midfielder for all 3 games and not being allowed to be subbed off we have a deal :p :lol:

I see through your "cunning plan"....Such is the current dearth of talent and the lack of even the most basic of footballing skills in the Fort William team, that after three such matches even at his age, he would be asked to assume the role of team manager (with a brand-new hairdryer) and of team captain and never return south of the border ever again....:D

We can only but dream..:roll:

he's got a point but this has happened many times in the past and people have just got on with it.

so the fixture schedulers ard treating man utd the same as any other club. the bare faced cheek of it all eh!
As a matter of sheer interest, what is the highest ever fine given by the FA for a proved offence under the rule that was broken in this case , who was the person to be fined and in what year did this occur ?

its a token fine lets be honest. no touch line ban?

richw

Veteran Member
If he wants to moan about the schedule he has 1 company to aim at. Sky TV. All fixtures are 'scheduled' for 1500 on Saturdays and 1945 on Tuesdays, but are allowed to be moved for live TV coverage. Sky and Manchester United have known for about 7 weeks about the Champions League match in Madrid, if Sir Alex wanted extra time to prepare and/or recover then he should of either requested a swap with the 1245 kick off on saturday or turned down the TV and played at 1500 Saturday.

I dont think its as simple as changing a match, fans will have made plans for the Sunday.

The French league allow their champions league teams to play on the Friday evening so even more free time!

SS4

Established Member

That's what your squad is for. Top teams, unlike those from Wolverhampton, can get away with making wholesale changes without recourse anyway (a rule I disagree with fwiw)
Back on the pitch an excellent set of results for us today with QPR, Wigan, Reading and Newcastle all losing plus Fulham and Norwich drawing. We just need to take advantage tomorrow at Villa Park. Southampton are yet to play but I hope it goes to form and Manchester City (what is their nickname? :oops:) get three points

Last edited:

JoeH

BBC Sport has an article with the reaction of managers to the introduction of new financial rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21386135

Unsurprisingly Roberto Mancini is opposed to them but something else he had to say was pretty shocking and seems to have gone largely unnoticed:

"Other rules are needed to stop clubs selling players who should be £10m, but for Manchester City it's £30m."

Can Mancini really be suggesting that rules should be put in place to compel clubs to sell their players to City at a price set by City?

familyguy99

Good News

Oldham won for first time since 8th December in league by beating MK Dons 3-1 :D Oldham played very well today and dessert they victory as MK Dons was poor at times and they goalkeeper had off day too.

Bad News

Oldham are still in bottom 4 after Colchester and Scunthorpe won :( Bury and surpisely Hartlepool draw today.

League One table (bottom 7)

17th: Preston - 35
18th: Shrewsbury - 34
19th: Colchester - 32
20th: Scunthorpe - 32
21st: Latics - 30
22nd: Bury - 27
23rd: Portsmouths - 21
24th: Hartlepool - 20

Also Man City are losing 2-0 against Southampton, if they lose that match they could found themself 12 points behide Man Utd at 6pm tomorrow

EDIT: Is know Southampton 2 Man City 1 (Dzeko score for City) and it half time now.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
BBC Sport has an article with the reaction of managers to the introduction of new financial rules.

Unsurprisingly Roberto Mancini is opposed to them but something else he had to say was pretty shocking and seems to have gone largely unnoticed:

"Other rules are needed to stop clubs selling players who should be £10m, but for Manchester City it's £30m."

Can Mancini really be suggesting that rules should be put in place to compel clubs to sell their players to City at a price set by City?

This amused me so much. Unhappy that clubs seem to put prices up for Man City, because they know full well that they can afford it and will pay it. Unbelievable!

Tell you what Roberto, I'll take away some of the millions, then you won't have to contend with such awful practices!

If you're a rich club and more than happy to enjoy the benefits, you also have to put up with consequences. Same applies to Chelsea fans who are fed up with Abrahomovich's meddling.

JoeH

So Manchester City have lost 3-1 at Southampton.

Could have been more because Southampton had a very good claim for a penalty turned down before half time.

City seemed tired and half their players looked uninterested. Southampton were impressive.

VTPreston_Tez

Graham Westley again having no valid excuses for today's loss at Colchester. Huntington getting put up front? Wright being sent off for absolutely no reason bar the referee wanting to?
This madness has to stop now. Westley has got to go, any takers?

2-2. woeful and lucky to get anything even though it was wolves that scored late.

Debut for Stephen Warnock and Morison. both uninspiring. warnock dropped Ross barkley and brought in David norris in perhaps one of the crappest decisions ever.

Can't wait for this season to end.

GWRtom

Nice win for Dorch in the conference south today against the leauge leaders 2-1

Good old Salisbury supporters bunch of F**king muppets. <D
Back from the game. Pitch was really poor, we couldn't play our passing game. We actually played well considering this, but especially in the first half our final ball was poor and we didn't shoot enough. Frear also played way too defensive first half. We had the opportunities to win it, but our players tripped as they were about to shoot. Dorchester were a dirty side. Welling lost so that helps but not acceptable really. Not sure how we lost really, Dorchester were realluy poor. Worried about Sinclair, didn't look good.

Not sure if any of you Dorchester fans read this BUT we are usually a passing side who plays it on the ground while by the looks of it you're an ugly, hoof-balling style team who dives on every opportunity

right firstly.

Dorchester Town that pitch was a total disgrace - there were divots the size of cricket balls littered all over the park and what really got my goat was that there was no attempt either before or at half time by the ground staff to improve the playing surface. VERY, VERY POOR.

The game, considering the pitch was actually quite entertaining with both teams trying the play although Dorchester time after time resorted to a hoof-ball style. The City players gave their all and played well especially Elliott who looked class but how can you play a slick passing game on that crap surface. Well done to the 200 - 250 (or more?) whites fans to make the game Dorchester's biggest gate of the season. Dorchester were battered for long periods in the game and looked a very average team but very physical. I thought the big defender with the bandage was bang out of order mouthing off to the City fans after the whistle had blown - what a p***k. Jason Mathews I thought played well for them.

Anyway Welling lost which is good news so lets put it right on Tuesday at Eastleigh.

Do i detect a hint of bitterness?

andrew bell

That's what your squad is for. Top teams, unlike those from Wolverhampton, can get away with making wholesale changes without recourse anyway (a rule I disagree with fwiw)
Back on the pitch an excellent set of results for us today with QPR, Wigan, Reading and Newcastle all losing plus Fulham and Norwich drawing. We just need to take advantage tomorrow at Villa Park. Southampton are yet to play but I hope it goes to form and Manchester City (what is their nickname? :oops:) get three points

The Citizens is their nickname, but sky blues or blues is the norm these days

tigerroar

On Moderation
Good 1-0 win against Bradford Park Avenue for us, even more so because the ref limped off at half time and one of our fans had to run the line.

richw

Veteran Member
Truro City had a good away win 2-1 today, dont believe they have won since at least September maybe earlier!

Butts

Veteran Member

It's a shame with all the extra money coming in that the Clubs don't agree to freeze ticket prices for the duration of the contract, thus helping their hard pressed fans :p

tigerroar

On Moderation
Heard this on 5 Live on the way back from Stoke, sounded pretty comical :D

It was my fault, I nominated him to the ref. he was reluctant at first but seemed to enjoy the attention after all.

The ref said that the game wouldn't be cancelled but they'd play with two officials if need be, I didn't think they could do that.