• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Zoe

Established Member
Here's the quarter-final draw:

Leeds vs Chelsea.

Swansea vs Middlesborough.

Norwich vs Aston Villa.

Bradford vs Arsenal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Here's the quarter-final draw:

Leeds vs Chelsea.

Swansea vs Middlesborough.

Norwich vs Aston Villa.

Bradford vs Arsenal.

This may be Arsene Wengers last chance, I suspect there will be no under strength team fielded in the upcoming rounds :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Harrogate's pitch is absolutely appalling - considering the fact that they put in a brand new drainage system there, on the day of the first match they were to play there after the works had been done (Altrincham), there was light showers, and the pitch flooded. I wouldn't particularly like to bet on when that replay will actually be played.

After being postponed on Tuesday night, the FA Cup replay between Harrogate Town and Hyde was subject to a pitch inspection very early today and was still deemed unfit, so as the first round proper FA Cup match was due to be played at Torquay United by the winners of this replay, the contingency plan was activated and the game was played tonight at the nearby ground of Harrogate Railway. 0-0 at full time, but the game was won 1-0 by Harrogate Town with a goal in extra time.

Not very happy at all with this result..<(<(

Ivo

Established Member
I've spent the last two days with a friend in Leeds and her boyfriend is a massive LU fan who typically attends ten home matches per season. He didn't have much to say about the apparent bias relating to Clattenburg (or anything else relating to him for that matter), but what he did say wasn't nearly as incriminating in United's favour as some of what you guys have said, and not just the pro-Leeds and/or anti-MU factions either. Instead, all he really cared about was Leeds vs Southampton (and Reading going four-up)...

FIFA video game fans will be amazed/amused/appalled/delighted/concerned (delete as appropriate) to learn that the same Leeds fan beat me 5-0 in one 6-minute half of a match - as Shamrock Rovers! :lol: Having said that, I was Southend. Says a lot really.

A few things to respond to now:

Having watched the Everton v Liverpool match on MOTD2, with the numerous points of contention, I am amazed that no-one bothered to make at least one posting on this thread with their views on that match.

I would have if I was around :p Just for once, Señor Suarez, try to make the game a game and not a one-man show (for better or worse)...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20152740

Former Man United, Blackburn Rovers and Norway centre-back Henning Berg is set to be appointed full-time Blackburn boss tomorrow noon.

Good choice in my opinion.

Liverpool 1 - 3 Swansea FT. The defending champions are out.

Good :p

Leeds vs Chelsea

Ouch!

It does not say much about the defensive qualities of either Chelsea or Manchester United as both of these two teams conceded no less than seven goals each over those two matches.

Ask an Arsenal 03/04 regular and they will probably tell you that defence is at least as important as attack in terms of getting your tactics right. This says a lot about the modern state of the game.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've spent the last two days with a friend in Leeds and her boyfriend is a massive LU fan who typically attends ten home matches per season. He didn't have much to say about the apparent bias relating to Clattenburg (or anything else relating to him for that matter), but what he did say wasn't nearly as incriminating in United's favour as some of what you guys have said, and not just the pro-Leeds and/or anti-MU factions either. Instead, all he really cared about was Leeds vs Southampton (and Reading going four-up)...

FIFA video game fans will be amazed/amused/appalled/delighted/concerned (delete as appropriate) to learn that the same Leeds fan beat me 5-0 in one 6-minute half of a match - as Shamrock Rovers! :lol: Having said that, I was Southend. Says a lot really.

A few things to respond to now:

I would have if I was around :p Just for once, Señor Suarez, try to make the game a game and not a one-man show (for better or worse)...

Good choice in my opinion.

Good :p

Ouch!

Ask an Arsenal 03/04 regular and they will probably tell you that defence is at least as important as attack in terms of getting your tactics right. This says a lot about the modern state of the game.

Have just watched the Reading v Arsenal game in the League Cup - what a fantastic match. Reminded me of another Arsenal win when I was at Anfield a few years ago when the score was 6-4 to Arsenal (if me memory serves me correctly)

So much for the "conspiracy theory" that penalties (especially in important matches) are never awarded against that team..:roll:

It should have been three though! Can't believe he missed that handball but whatever.

I can't believe some of the results in this cup, it looked like teams were playing with much more freedom going forward and it made for entertaining matches.

We've got Chelsea at ER in the next round, hopefully they'll just bring the reserves of their reserves.

richw

Veteran Member
When arsenal were 4 down I said to a arsenal supporting friend it was still their only chance of silverware this season, I still stand by my comment

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

SS4

Established Member
Is this your new artwork for the story book for the next Gaviscon TV advert ..:D

Yep, it's less of a double entendre than the adverts with the fireman ;)

So much for the "conspiracy theory" that penalties (especially in important matches) are never awarded against that team..:roll:

Although apparently they should have been reduced to nine men, one case was denying a goalscoring opportunity. Besides, I have a new conspiracy theory after getting drawn away in the cup again :lol:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Di mateo has said that yesterdays result proves that they would have won with 11 men.

Im sorry how exactly? How? Different line ups, different day.... It means nothing. I personally don't think they would have won last night if there wasn't some very questionable defending from Utd Youngsters. And by questionable, i mean appalling.

Of course with Man Utd favourtism they didnt get any penalties against them last night :roll:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I personally don't think they would have won last night if there wasn't some very questionable defending from Utd Youngsters. And by questionable, I mean appalling.

This brings another point to mind. Is it only in league matches that a team is supposed to field its strongest side...or are any cup competitions not covered by this ruling.

This brings another point to mind. Is it only in league matches that a team is supposed to field its strongest side...or are any cup competitions not covered by this ruling.

A total nonsense and completely uninforceable rule, its a managers decision to rest players if he so wishes. Whos to say what a teams best side is apart from the manager.

richw

Veteran Member
A total nonsense and completely uninforceable rule, its a managers decision to rest players if he so wishes. Whos to say what a teams best side is apart from the manager.

I thought they had to name a squad at start of season, from which surely they can play anyone from their squad? Didn't Blackpool get fined for fielding a weakened squad and Holloway argued they were within his 25 man squad but they still fined the club.
Talking of Holloway he's been a bit quiet lately.

SS4

Established Member

You'd think but Wolves got fined for it a couple of seasons ago by putting a weak team out against Chelsea in order to win their next game. I think both games were in the league though.

Contrast with more well known teams putting out weaker sides in the cup (and sometimes in the league) and getting away with it. When all said and done I agree with you, the manager has a squad but I can understand it because fans pay a lot of money these days.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I thought they had to name a squad at start of season, from which surely they can play anyone from their squad? Didn't Blackpool get fined for fielding a weakened squad and Holloway argued they were within his 25 man squad but they still fined the club.

If all the players that were fielded by Blackpool that match were those from the nominated team squad in accordance with the rules, what decision was given as to why the fine was imposed at that time ?

This seems to be a very strange interpretation of these rules by the governing body. Were there other matters external to this rule being brought into the equation ? Can someone give an exact clarification what happened.

andrew bell

Talking of Holloway he's been a bit quiet lately.

They did, they played Villa, and if i recall correctly, they narrowly lost 3-2.

My only concern is when the 'bigger' teams do it in the league its called 'squad rotation', but when teams like Blackpool and Wolves do it its 'an unfair advantage'. Where's the fairness in that???

Also the only rule I know about with cup competitions and strength of the starting xi is in the JPT (that is the competition where only league 1 and 2 clubs compete in for those who dont follow lower league football) you need to name 6 players in the starting xi from the previous match, or who has played in majority of matches. But even this rule has been abused, Bradford vs Sheff Wed last season, 22 seconds gone, Kevin Pressman got subbed for Wednesday, followed by the final 2 within the first 20 minutes

SS4

Established Member
They did, they played Villa, and if i recall correctly, they narrowly lost 3-2.

Yeah, that's correct. At Villa Park too iirc :|

My only concern is when the 'bigger' teams do it in the league its called 'squad rotation', but when teams like Blackpool and Wolves do it its 'an unfair advantage'. Where's the fairness in that???

It's the way the league is set up unfortunately, thanks to tv money attention goes to the "bigger" teams whereas everyone else is there to make up the numbers. There are a fair number of double standards in football. Putting everyone behind the ball is boring and negative when Stoke do it but when Chelsea did it in the CL final it was a masterful defensive display. When a smaller team beats a bigger team it's always because the latter weren't playing well and not that they were tactically outwitted or outplayed.

Before anyone points it out I am aware of the collective agreement between the 20 clubs of the EPL for TV money and it's certainly a force for good. I'm trying to say that some clubs get more TV coverage than others which can bring in money from overseas (exactly why do huge tracts of Asia support Man Utd?) and, as usual, it's the true domestic fans that count the cost of rarely kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday.

I find it difficult to understand how the EPL can be called the best league in the world when it's a financially unsustainable three horse race?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
People who think the EPL is the world's best need to look at Germany's Budnesliga, certainly a better set-up for fans, even if the football is of a slightly lower standard.

Ivo

Established Member
More BBC discussion on the Clattenburg affair...

Sir Alex Ferguson does not believe referee Mark Clattenburg used "inappropriate language" towards Chelsea player John Mikel Obi.

The Blues accused Clattenburg of making a racist remark during their 3-2 defeat by United at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

"I don't believe he would make comments like that," said Ferguson. "I refuse to believe it. It's unthinkable."

Responding to Ferguson's remarks, Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo said: "He likes to talk about other clubs."

I personally think Chelsea are just trying to shift the negative spotlight away from themselves. Clattenburg may be an idiot but he is not a racist.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I wonder if we will see the usual shock result or two in the English FA Cup first round proper....the same may well happen in the Scottish FA cup.

Always good to see the non-league teams of both countries given the opportunity of "one moment of fame"

You'd think but Wolves got fined for it a couple of seasons ago by putting a weak team out against Chelsea in order to win their next game. I think both games were in the league though.

Contrast with more well known teams putting out weaker sides in the cup (and sometimes in the league) and getting away with it. When all said and done I agree with you, the manager has a squad but I can understand it because fans pay a lot of money these days.

I think it was Man Utd at Old Trafford where Wolves put out the weak team and lost 3-0, and yes they did get fined some small amount but hardly a big deal and nothing to put a team off doing it again if need be.
In the Blackpool example Holloway was quite clever in the media after that game, i believe the quote was something like "Are the PL saying the players i put out today are not good enough, how dare they say that about my players".

I wish Ferguson would keep his mouth shut and stay out of the affair. There's no need for his comments... He criticises Chelsea before claiming that he doesn't like to talk about other clubs and trying to give the impression that he has some kind of moral superiority :rolleyes:

SS4

Established Member
I wish Ferguson would keep his mouth shut and stay out of the affair. There's no need for his comments... He criticises Chelsea before claiming that he doesn't like to talk about other clubs and trying to give the impression that he has some kind of moral superiority :rolleyes:

Tis the arrogance of success backed up by the way he can do no wrong in the press.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Tis the arrogance of success backed up by the way he can do no wrong in the press.
Ferguson is a bully. He bullies his players (by all accounts), he bullies the authorities, referees, other managers, racehorse owners. Anyone, you name it. Sadly, he does have his lackeys in the press, so when someone stands up to him (like Rafi Benitez) it is portrayed as a "rant", a "meltdown", a sign that the other manager is on the brink of the sack. The man offers his opinions (as facts) on anything, whether or not it is his concern, but most of the time his opinions do not add up to much. His club's success is based not on any managerial skill, but on taking talent from elsewhere and sucking the last bit of benefit out of it before discarding it. He may be charming and intelligent in private, but I do not like what I see!

SS4

Established Member
Penalty for Man Utd on the stroke of half time. Handball although idk the legitimacy of it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And he missed it!

Apparently not deliberate handball (according to Robbie Savage on 5Live) but typically given these days. Personally I can believe it with the war on defenders in the name of exciting football

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
It was deliberate handball no doubt about that but he put them up to protect his face from being hit square on with the ball which looked to have quite a lot of pace on it.