• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Oswyntail

Established Member
Always good to see people delighting in the bad times of Leeds, shows they actually care.......
Actually, this is something I care about.
As you know, I do not give a monkey's about football as a game. But the sort of casual corruption that seems to even now be rife within it does affect me. If, as seems likely, it is allowed to continue, it may well become the model on which other major sports are run, particularly as the "businessmen" move on to other sports. This, in turn, will have drastic effects on minor sports, including my own. A simple example comes where a club sells its ground so as to develop a new stadium, and gets planning permission by promising to replace sports facilities at the new site with new ones. Sadly, this often means a members gym, which in no way replaces playing fields. Meanwhile, the insatiable greed of these "businessmen" sucks funding from the local sports economy. Rubbing shoulders with them, the suits of the local FAs then swagger in with demands for exclusive use of communal playing areas. And this is happening, in Leeds, at my club.
So don't try to claim people don't care. And try to see the massive damage antics like the "management" of LUFC do to the wider community.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the beginning, players were under the authority of the referee, who was respected (OK, so that bit was fiction!)
Then the FA set up a system whereby a referees decision can be challenged after the match, and, often as not, reversed. Two fingers up to referees, and undermine their position.
Now I see that West Ham, having had their appeal turned down, are trying to take Carroll's case to the Arbitration court. Two fingers up to the FA and undermine their position. Allardyce's justification is that "we are fighting for our lives" - in which case get your players to play with a little more skill and discipline. :roll::roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Now I see that West Ham, having had their appeal turned down, are trying to take Carroll's case to the Arbitration court. Two fingers up to the FA and undermine their position. Allardyce's justification is that "we are fighting for our lives" - in which case get your players to play with a little more skill and discipline. :roll::roll:

Makes one wonder if the fact that the Hammers have three important games upcoming has anything to do with this move?

Oswyntail

Established Member
Makes one wonder if the fact that the Hammers have three important games upcoming has anything to do with this move?
Perhaps there should be some sort of "guarantee" paid by the club taking these steps. Perhaps postpone all games played by the club until the case is settled, then play all rearranged games within a fortnight if the appeal is not upheld.

SS4

Established Member
Perhaps there should be some sort of "guarantee" paid by the club taking these steps. Perhaps postpone all games played by the club until the case is settled, then play all rearranged games within a fortnight if the appeal is not upheld.

I concur there should be some sort of guarantee. I don't think having to replay the games in a short period of time is right because it'll punish their opposition via fixture congestion. Perhaps the player is allowed to play but should the appeal not be upheld the games are forfeit but unfortunately this goes against innocent until proven guilty.

Ultimately I think the fairest solution is to allow only one appeal and if it is unsuccessful to increase (double?) the length of the ban

In the beginning, players were under the authority of the referee, who was respected (OK, so that bit was fiction!)
Then the FA set up a system whereby a referees decision can be challenged after the match, and, often as not, reversed. Two fingers up to referees, and undermine their position.

Even better, why not have a system where major decisions can be reviewed straight after the incident. This works well in the NFL and the correct decision is made 95% of the time, unless the New England Patriots are playing in which case they will get the decision go in their favour.

I know I have mentioned this before but I find it very frustrating to see matches and in this instance future matches be influenced by an absolutely ridiculous decision.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the beginning, players were under the authority of the referee, who was respected (OK, so that bit was fiction!) Then the FA set up a system whereby a referees decision can be challenged after the match, and, often as not, reversed. Two fingers up to referees, and undermine their position.

Would I be right in thinking that the matter has been reviewed by an independent arbitration tribunal who have upheld the FA decision to impose a three-match ban upon Carroll for the incident that occurred in the match against Swansea City ?
Even better, why not have a system where major decisions can be reviewed straight after the incident. This works well in the NFL and the correct decision is made 95% of the time, unless the New England Patriots are playing in which case they will get the decision go in their favour.

Be careful about making such comments upon the Football thread, as there could be those conspiracy theorists on here on hearing what you say about the New England Patriots will automatically assume that Sir Alec Ferguson has a connection with the club....:D

Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal at half time, Liverpool scored all four goals within the first 20 mins!

SS4

Established Member
Final score 5-1.....how did they draw with the baggies !!!

SS4 Villa 2-0 down to West Ham .....:p

By failing to score when they had the run of the game in the first half. They only managed to draw with us at Anfield via cheating.

Yes, not impressed that we couldn't beat West Ham and apart from West Brom losing results didn't go our way either

familyguy99

Hyde 3...Lincoln City 4

Let a 3-2 lead slip, but at least are now finding where the opposition goal is situated.....:cry:<(

I see Miller scored in 94th mins to win Lincoln that match too, I sure not first time this season that Hyde have lose the match in injured time.

Oldham draw 1-1 to Bristol City in which were fair results, we scored first inside 5 mins thanks to Philliskirk who I think now scored 12 goals in all competition for Latics this season but poor def from corner gift Bristol City a equalised 5 mins after Latics went ahead.

I see Droylsden lost again for 30 times this season as Ilkeston FC beat them 5-1 and goal diff for Droylsden is now - 104, will Droylsden every win a match this season?

I see Stockport won Cheshire derby today as they beat Stalybridge 2-0 and Stalybridge are only four points clear from Oxford city who sit 20th in table, we may see three Tameside clubs be relegated this season. :(

Can't believe Man City draw 0-0 to Norwich which is good point for Norwich but I'm sure many people would had that down a Man City win and probably had Man City to win 4 maybe 5 nil.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
By failing to score when they had the run of the game in the first half. They only managed to draw with us at Anfield via cheating.

Yes, not impressed that we couldn't beat West Ham and apart from West Brom losing results didn't go our way either

Biggest shock was City failing to score at Carrow Road and allowing Jose's mob to sneak to the top of the table :lol:

EM2

Established Member
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, and seeing as Sheffield United were more than happy to do this for the Carlos Tevez controversy, not even accepting the decision of arbitration and pursuing their case even further, why should West Ham not?
This is, by the way, a perfectly legitimate course of action under the FA's own rules:
FA Rule K
“any dispute or difference between any two or more Participants … including but not
limited to a dispute arising out of or in connection with (including any question
regarding the existence or validity of)
(i) The Rules and Regulations of The Association;
(ii) The rules and regulations of an Affiliated Association or Competition;
(iii) The Statutes and Regulations of FIFA an UEFA; or
(iv) The Laws of the Game
shall be referred to and finally resolved by arbitration under these Rules.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Lincoln had to play an outfield player in goal for some of the second half too.

There are rumours now circulating around Ewen Fields that this was a ploy by the Lincoln City coach, as that outfield player was a Jedi master who had The Force with him, and after Hyde had scored their third goal, each time that the Hyde forwards looked like scoring again, that particular Lincoln player now acting as replacement goalkeeper was heard to say..."These are not the goals you are looking for, move along"..:roll:
I thought he looked tired and disinterested in his interview on Saturday after the drubbing Swansea had. I told Mrs Greenback he reminded me of Ian Holloway earlier this season, just before he left Palace.

Looks like I was right about something for once!

With the current Swansea affair in mind, noting that this weekend would see them at home in the late kick-off game. I wondered how the team would react. However, three second half goals saw their fortunes raised.

One interesting side of this is that such is the mid-table Premiership closeness of points gained, that this 3-0 win by Swansea sees them move up to tenth place in the Premiership.

richw

Veteran Member
With the current Swansea affair in mind, noting that this weekend would see them at home in the late kick-off game. I wondered how the team would react. However, three second half goals saw their fortunes raised.

One interesting side of this is that such is the mid-table Premiership closeness of points gained, that this 3-0 win by Swansea sees them move up to tenth place in the Premiership.

Watching Garry Monk, i don't recall such a passionate manager about their club in a long time in the premier league. He evidently has a great relationship with many of the players, which can produce better morale on its own.
I don't know what length of time he has the job for, but wish him we'll whilst he has the job.

afyutr

I was very amused by the fact that no manager seems to want to set themselves up as a title challenger. Maybe Hyde could if no else wants it!

It was cold, windy with rain and hail. Horrible day in Yeovil yesterday but at least we won. McCormack and Warnock scoring spectacular goals. I was even on the tv.

Spurs v Everton and Man U v Fulham live today. Nice game for Moyes to get back on track, Fulham are in disarray at the moment, fixtures being kind to Man Utd.

CC 72100

Established Member
Nice game for Moyes to get back on track, Fulham are in disarray at the moment, fixtures being kind to Man Utd.

Considering we had Liverpool and Man City in the first 5, it could alternatively be equaling itself out, just as the fixture list always does, thought about that possibility?

It doesn't make a difference who we're facing at the moment. At least it sounds as if we've been better this second half, although we could very easily have had a penalty according to five live/ world service commentary.

Considering we had Liverpool and Man City in the first 5, it could alternatively be equaling itself out, just as the fixture list always does, thought about that possibility?

It doesn't make a difference who we're facing at the moment. At least it sounds as if we've been better this second half, although we could very easily have had a penalty according to five live/ world service commentary.

Yep and Moyes moaned, dont hear him moaning now and they now turn the worst team in the league over. Big fluke again but hardly a shock.

Oswyntail

Established Member
What's good for the goose is good for the gander, and seeing as Sheffield United were more than happy to do this for the Carlos Tevez controversy, not even accepting the decision of arbitration and pursuing their case even further, why should West Ham not?
This is, by the way, a perfectly legitimate course of action under the FA's own rules:
Of course. That doesn't mean it is not a further erosion of the authority of the referee. (and West Ham have been in the wrong on both occasions)

CC 72100

Established Member
Yep and Moyes moaned, dont hear him moaning now and they now turn the worst team in the league over. Big fluke again but hardly a shock.

What's a big fluke? The fact that after 27 shots/ 9 on target that a team at home has scored two?

And anyway, it ain't over yet...

atomicdanny

How is that a fluke, Manchester United dominated the game in a big way!, the amount of shots and possession says that, if anything Manchester United should have scored about 5 or 6 goals if it weren't for the skill of the fulham keeper and some of his good saves!!

edit was still typing when you did your last reply :) (so didn't see it until afterwards - the post above)

Last edited:
How is that a fluke, United dominated the game in a big way!, the amount of shots and possession says that, if anything United should have scored about 5 or 6 goals if it weren't for the skill of the fulham keeper and some of his good saves!!

edit was still typing when you did your last reply :) (so didn't see it until afterwards - the post above)

Who are united?