• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hi,

I don't want this to turn into a platform of match analysis etc, or indeed a place for talking about how awful it is, but something that has just cropped into my mind is how many rail enthusiatsts actually like the beautiful game too?

I can think of a few members on here, yet trains and footy never seem to be two things that go together...

So, anyone else like football?

Matt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Yes. Although I'm sure someone will be on to ask 'how can you enjoy watching people kicking a ball around for 90 minutes'?

Ivo

Established Member

junglejames

Established Member
Yep, brilliant game. Esp when the inconsistent players at Arsenal actually decide to play like they can!!

SS4

Established Member
I do follow football although it's been a tough time for the villa this season.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
So who does everyone suppoort then?

I'll go first, the mighty Glasgow Rangers :smile:

Ivo

Established Member
We knew that ;) And mine should be obvious from the link.

I suspect my housemate is going to hit the roof when she gets back from visiting home (her grandfather died recently). Looks like Everton have condemned her to the drop...

Sorry Hol; Wolves don't really belong in the Prem anyway. Whereas we've missed only four seasons in the League's history, and none since 1954.

Here's something, Matt. Your team and mine tend to be on very good terms, do they not? :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wrong game for me I'm afraid. I do, however, love travelling around the North by train to watch a bit of Rugby League.

Minilad

Established Member
Another Villa fan here although I do a lot of grounhopping these days. Football version of Train Spotting !!. Been to Hayes & Yeading v Mansfield Town today as the wonderful Church Road ground is being bulldozed at the end of the season.
Went on the train naturally and even scratched a couple of First London buses for haulage too. Good day all round !!

Ivo

Established Member
Really sorry to see Villa struggling so much this year. I've enjoyed all these scrapes we kept having over 5th. Would be a real loss to the Prem if they went down.

And then imagine Forest aren't promoted; two former European Cup winners in the Championship! :?

Minilad

Established Member
Yeah but at least no London club has ever won it....altogether now....have you won the European Cup, the European Cup, the European Cup !!
I have always regarded Everton as very similar to us really. Proud old clubs with great grounds and blue collar fans. Proper Traditional Clubs

Ivo

Established Member
Neither have we though...

<( Because the idiots from across the park cost us our best ever chance!!!!! <(

It is especially amusing though given that both Arsenal and Chelsea have reached the Final, with one having been ahead and the other miss the "winning" penalty!

Minilad

Established Member
Trouble is those days are gone. Unless you got a couple of Billion in the bank a team can no longer come from nowhere and get success any more

SS4

Established Member
IMO O Neill leaving us a few days before the start of the season put us up the proverbial creek without a paddle. If we can hold onto the kids we'll be stronger next season although I'm more worried about Friedel. Surely he can't go on forever

I have always seen Everton as a similar club too, mainly as a club that has had to make do for years without the sort of money one would expect to be necessary in the Prem (thanks to Chelsea and Man City in particular) as well as being proud old clubs

Ivo

Established Member
Proud old clubs who have won something like 15 League trophies between them...

20 years ago we had more League trophies than Fergie's lot :(

SS4

Established Member
IMO it's a shame when the top of "the best league in the world" is so predictable. The Championship has been tight though (QPR excepted)

It's still nice to remind Man U fans that they weren't the first British team to win the European cup :p

Minilad

Established Member
I am another who thinks bottler O'Neill dropped us in the doo doo.
Will be interesting to see what sort of reception he gets if he ever returns to Villa Park with another team. I for one would give him dogs abuse

Ivo

Established Member
I can't see Moyes repeating the "trick", but you never know :?

Villa would be a serious loss to the Prem. And not just because we'd be down to six ever-presents (and then we've survived on the last day twice, including the first season I paid any kind of attention to - 97-98...).

Minilad

Established Member
IMO it's a shame when the top of "the best league in the world" is so predictable. The Championship has been tight though (QPR excepted)

This is why I go to a lot of non league games now. The top division is just too predictable. Best League In The World....don't make me laugh !!

Zoe

Established Member
When was the last time any team won the premier league that wasn't Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester United? Do you have to go all the way back to the Liverpool years?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
This is why I go to a lot of non league games now. The top division is just too predictable. Best League In The World....don't make me laugh !!

Sadly you can't even escape it there... Crawley Town won the BSP today after beating Tamworth 3-0, apparently the only reason for this is because they wre bought out last season, and basically bought the title (the same could be said for QPR I suppose!). AFC Wimbledon are who I want to join them in League Two in August.

SS4

Established Member
I watched a couple of Crawley's matches in the FA Cup and their attitude stunk in some parts.

I'd like to see AFC Wimbledon promoted too eventually playing MK Dons

Ferret

Established Member
I think everyone wants to see AFC Wimbledon back in the league Matt!

As for Villa, well, if the team I've supported for 25 years go down, it'll be because they deserve it. We can't defend for 90 minutes and any team like that deserve everything they get:( Even if Villa stay up, Hulahoop has got to go. No passion, no ideas and a total wally.

Minilad

Established Member
Sadly you can't even escape it there... Crawley Town won the BSP today after beating Tamworth 3-0, apparently the only reason for this is because they wre bought out last season, and basically bought the title (the same could be said for QPR I suppose!). AFC Wimbledon are who I want to join them in League Two in August.

Sorry by non league I mean real non league.
Step 5 and below.
As my mate says. Conference Football is like kissing your sister. It's neither one thing nor the other !!

Crawley are an odious club with an odious manager. I wish them nothing but ill. Hopefully they will go bust very very soon
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think everyone wants to see AFC Wimbledon back in the league Matt!

As for Villa, well, if the team I've supported for 25 years go down, it'll be because they deserve it. We can't defend for 90 minutes and any team like that deserve everything they get:( Even if Villa stay up, Hulahoop has got to go. No passion, no ideas and a total wally.

Amen to that brother !!

Ivo

Established Member
I think everyone (except MK fans!) wants Wimbo to get promoted, but sadly it probably won't happen.

As for Crawley, they are the Chelsea of the non-League; i.e., they've hit some money suddenly and now they act like they're "it" (and are using said money to buy success). At least Man City still respect ther clubs... mostly.

The thing is though, one Conference club tends to rule each year. It's not always true, but quite often. And then - owing to the pressure of some many strong(-ish) teams bubbling around the fringe of the League, once they squeeze through the neck, they walk what is now League Two. It was even more obvious when only one went up...

One club I'd like to see reach at least League Two is Truro City; anyone else share this view? They are still three promotions away though.

Regarding Blackburn, that was in the days of S&S - Shearer and Sutton. They've only ever won the League on two other occasions (1912 and 1914), and even in this instance they had to rely on United getting a lousy result against West Ham to make of it.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I do have to say that Aston Villa aren't too good for the drop this season, its just that Wigan, WBA, West Ham, Blackpool and Blackburn are all determined on doing worse!

Stockport and Barnet are my favs to lose league status this year, and, as I have said, Crawley and Wimbledon to replace them. QPR for the Championship, with Swansea in second and Norwich coming up via the play-offs.

Today, Burnley scuppered thier excellent promotion chances further :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Minilad

Established Member
I do have to say that Aston Villa aren't too good for the drop this season, its just that Wigan, WBA, West Ham, Blackpool and Blackburn are all determined on doing worse!

Absolutely we are not. In fact I actually think if we don't beat Newcastle tomorrow we have a very good chance of going down