• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I support Darlington. Before i moved away i used to go home and away, every home game, most away. I now have Luton or Northampton as my local teams. I love to watch football at all levels in England and Scotland and will go and watch any game i can if i cant get to Darlo.

Only games i wont go to involve MK Dongs - a made up stolen team supported by people with no love or care of the history or tradition of football. Simply ask them who they supported before a stolen club was parachuted into thier laps. They go very quiet. Was it Spurs, Arsenal, Man UTD, Liverpool or Chelsea? hm? Which one then? hm? They dont like it very much!

Supporting a lower league/non league team the pyramid is VERY importnant. If Darlo want to get to a higher league they have to earn it; not steal it off someone else. IF MK wanted a team they should have started in the local leagues and worked thier way up.

As for Crawley, dont get me started on thier "professionalism" or thier odious fat histrionic classless manager. Cant wait till that one goes pop in the most spectacular fashion!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Welcome to our world !!
To be honest I will take a draw now if it was offered. We absolutely destroyed you on the opening day but we haven't played like that since !
We've always been inconsistent, except for the odd season (e.g. '85-'86) but the last three seasons have been terrible. The odd decent performance is (to me) masking something fundamentally wrong at the club.
Going slightly off the subject, why has the fixture list got very odd in the last few years, we are playing you so late in the season? Why can't we do what they do in Spain, where the second half of the season is a complete mirror image of the first half?

GNER 373

I may epitomise this!

I live and breathe football and I'm a huge Liverpool fan! I'm a big Train fanatic! What's interesting to me about this is this;

People will regularly ask me (with that baffled look, you'll know which one I mean) why I like trains. My response is always that I cannot put it into words it's just a familiar feeling when I'm near a railway to watch for trains and enjoy whatever the scene brings. They ask if I'm a Trainspotter which in the sense of collecting numbers I am not. They are never happy with the answer (I don't actually know what theyre after) but I return with 'well why do you like football'? The baffled look returns and they can't answer me. Its all about social acceptance, if you enjoy 22 overpaid pre-madonnas kicking a pigs bladder into a net, then this is fine (It is still the Beautiful Game) whereas to enjoy a mechanical marvel thunder past is not! It's ok to like football, but to like Trains is weird to most people yet the only difference is acceptance! And this is why it's ok to like both!

Ivo

Established Member
See, on that point, I've had the same with regards to Formula One. And I can provide an answer for that. It goes thus: "It's a combination of speed, science and strategy which comes complete with spectacular crashes and beautiful women aplenty." (In other words, what else could a man want?)

Unfortunately, I can't think of any along those lines for football.

HST Power

Established Member
Unfortunately, it seems that showing an interest in the railway nowadays is looked upon as rather sad. I find this unbelievable, and as GNER 373 said (I loved his description) what's any better about watching a bunch of brainless, overpaid lobsters kicking a ball between two posts and spattering themselves across the newspapers with drugs, fancy cars and gold digging women?
Trains are mechanical marvels and incredible machines. Yet if you are interested in the railway, you are seen as old fashioned and a saddo, who should show more interest in scouring the News of The World to find out who Wayne Rooney hasn't been sleeping with.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
I saw Fernando Torres in town today.
I said, "Can you sign my shirt?"
He said, "Have you got a pen?"
I said, "****, no. Hang on".
With that I threw myself on the floor, rolled over theatrically and began to cry.
He said, "How's that going to get a pen?"
I said, "Well that's how you do it"

I've heard that joke but with Christiano Ronaldo as the subject. Now he could teach things to Olympic gymnasts about diving

Big game on Saturday for your lot against my lot !!

Here's hoping our lot win! Don't want our season still in the balance by the time we go to West Brom (who my dad supports and hence I will have to avoid should we lose)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Unfortunately, I can't think of any along those lines for football.

It reaches whole new lows when it comes to England. Tribalism and chest-beating

junglejames

Established Member
Unfortunately, it seems that showing an interest in the railway nowadays is looked upon as rather sad. I find this unbelievable, and as GNER 373 said (I loved his description) what's any better about watching a bunch of brainless, overpaid lobsters kicking a ball between two posts and spattering themselves across the newspapers with drugs, fancy cars and gold digging women?
Trains are mechanical marvels and incredible machines. Yet if you are interested in the railway, you are seen as old fashioned and a saddo, who should show more interest in scouring the News of The World to find out who Wayne Rooney hasn't been sleeping with.

This is a highly defammatory post. Just because you dont like football, thats fine, but why exagerate like you have done. Your making out as if all footballers are brainless, and you are calling them lobsters. Youve also labelled them as druggies.

I'll give you one thing. Youd make a fantastic newspaper journo. Exagerating everything 10 fold, just to sell a story.

Just say that you find it strange that trains are deemed old fashioned and sad, and football isnt, and you actually find it sadder to scrawl through newspapers looking for the latest transfer gossip etc etc etc. Ive said virtually what you have done, but without adding exagerations into it.

BlythPower

I support Darlington. Before i moved away i used to go home and away, every home game, most away. I now have Luton or Northampton as my local teams. I love to watch football at all levels in England and Scotland and will go and watch any game i can if i cant get to Darlo.

First game I ever went to was Darlo vs Wimbledon back when Wimbledon first started in division four (my dad was originally from Sarf London). Darlo won three-one.

Established Member
and why do people mainly support united, arsenal,chelsea or liverpool, is it because they usually win trophies and people dont want to support a team that loses and relegated.

It could well be why most people support said four. For i support one of the big four (i am showing my age now) but when i was 5 my mother took me to my local club, so near infact we walked to the ground in 15 minutes, not only was it my local club at the time they hadnt won a thing for 16 years, and in the year England won the World Cup they escaped relegation by winning there last 4 games. Since then they have gone on to bigger and better things. However i was watching them home and away in the 1980s where the fare dished up was nothing compared to now. I have been lucky to see my team win the league at three of our main rivals grounds.I have also been lucky to see them win the FA Cup numerous times and win the European Cup Winners cup. However there are also bad days to go with the good days i was at Wrexham when they knocked us out the cup when we was holders, i was in Paris twice to us lose to Real Zarogosa and Barcelona.

I have benn accused on many occasion of being a glory hunter, i was supporting my team when they were just a mid table sometimes lucky to finish in the top ten let alone be a top four team and be one of the richest in the world. They still are my nearest and local team.

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
I was interested in football a bit when I was younger (though if it was football or F1, F1 won by miles) and if I'm flicking through the news and see Arsenal have won (which doesn't seem to be often lately) I'll be pleased.
I never watch the games, I don't know who half the squad are and the most Arsenal related thing I ever do is going past the Emirates on the train every morning, but if they get a win, that'll be fine by me!

EM2

Established Member
i was supporting my team when they were just a mid table sometimes lucky to finish in the top ten let alone be a top four team and be one of the richest in the world. They still are my nearest and local team.

So at least you have an answer to 'Where were you when you were s***?' :lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
AFC Bournemouth - the mighty cherries - and Dean Court is where I call home.

could be worse i support sheffield wednesday :/ weve had new owners new managers new better players and we just dropped through league 1 like a stone

You lot seem to be liking this division a lot. :lol:
When you went back up to the Championship in 2005, most people thought you'd go on and get back to your glory days. Dear oh dear ...

You now get to play Luton as well. In all honesty, Luton weren't relegated because they weren't good enough, unlike Darlo. They were relegated because the FA and FL didn't like them.

So at least you have an answer to 'Where were you when you were s***?' :lol:

I can answer this question now. We're absolutely pants at the moment. Two points from 21 and throwing away nailed-on auto promotion to fighting for a play-off place. Best chance in 20 years and we're gonna f*ck it up :cry:

EM2

Established Member
I can answer this question now. We're absolutely pants at the moment. Two points from 21 and throwing away nailed-on auto promotion to fighting for a play-off place. Best chance in 20 years and we're gonna f*ck it up :cry:
What's the attitude to Harry Redknapp down there these days? Many West Ham fans certainly lean towards the anti- position (I certainly do) and I know a good few Pompey fans who blame him for their current predicament.
Is there any thought that Bournemouth's struggles are down to him?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What's the attitude to Harry Redknapp down there these days? Many West Ham fans certainly lean towards the anti- position (I certainly do) and I know a good few Pompey fans who blame him for their current predicament.
Is there any thought that Bournemouth's struggles are down to him?

Split opinions definitely there are, but the anti-brigade are in the minority. The majority of Bournemouth supporters see him as "our Harry" and the hero who led us to our only promotion to the second tier in our history. However there are also a few who are of the opinion that his spending spree in his later years with us, especially after promotion to the old second division, started the downward financial spiral which eventually led to the club being 15 minutes away from closing down in 1997. Some of them even drew parallels from our situations when Pompey's finance collapsed.

Also more people believe that Harry's full of sh*t when he talks about us. He keeps harping on about how we have a special place in his heart and that he would never see us close down, during the difficult times a few years back. Well put your money where your mouth is then Harry.

But to be honest, over the years the guy has lent us some fantastic players wherever he was, in particular Rio Ferdinand and Jermain Defoe, both from their Hammers days.

Another small point that many seem to choose to overlook these days. Harry was as much a "Judas" figure long before he betrayed Pompey fans to take over at the Scummers. When he decided to leave us, his words were to "retire" from football management, in 1992, only to re-emerge not that long after in East London.

Minilad

Established Member
It seems Mr Redknapp isn't the universally liked cheekey cock-er-ny chappy the press would have everyone believe. He certainly provokes strong opinions here at Villa Park after the coin throwing incident a couple of seasons ago.
He does seem to have the knack of leaving clubs who then spiral into financial difficulties.
Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, West Ham.
Lets hope that tradition continues when he leave leaves Tottenham !!
I see him more as a media whore with doubtful financial dealings who wouldn't know loyalty if it kicked him squarely in the two veg, and who is definitely as two faced as they come

GNER 373

I'm pleased you liked that! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It seems Mr Redknapp isn't the universally liked cheekey cock-er-ny chappy the press would have everyone believe. He certainly provokes strong opinions here at Villa Park after the coin throwing incident a couple of seasons ago.
He does seem to have the knack of leaving clubs who then spiral into financial difficulties.
Bournemouth, Southampton, Portsmouth, West Ham.
Lets hope that tradition continues when he leave leaves Tottenham !!
I see him more as a media whore with doubtful financial dealings who wouldn't know loyalty if it kicked him squarely in the two veg, and who is definitely as two faced as they come

Im so pleased that someone else feels exactly the way I do about this man! I don't support any team he has trained (or tarnished as mentioned) I just don't like the way the Media hold him in such high regard as he has the loyalty of a rabid dog and has a record to match Peter Ridsdale!<(

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Would like to say well done to B&HA on their promotion and give my best wishes to Eastbourne and Histon for the future after their relegation. As for Crawley, I hope they get relegated straight back down.

SS4

Established Member
I am one relieved Villain this evening! As a measure of just how tight it is that win put us 9th in the league!

Minilad

Established Member
Would like to say well done to B&HA on their promotion and give my best wishes to Eastbourne and Histon for the future after their relegation. As for Crawley, I hope they get relegated straight back down.

I can't agree with you about Crawley I'm afraid.
I don't want them to simply come straight back down.
I wan't them to go spectacularly bust, never to return !!

Big big win for the Villa yesterday. And apologies to anyone in earshot of me on Nottingham station when it came through on the BBC website we had got a 91st min winner. I did go a bit mental !!

Geezertronic

Established Member
I am one relieved Villain this evening! As a measure of just how tight it is that win put us 9th in the league!

Lucky buggers :) That pleased a few of my scum mates (I am from the Blue half if you didn't work that out) ;)

We just need to stop dropping senseless home points (at home to Newcastle and WBA to name two games) and losing late goals (Wigan) although our next two games are away to Chelsea and Liverpool so we'll do well to get anything out of those

SS4

Established Member
I can't agree with you about Crawley I'm afraid.
I don't want them to simply come straight back down.
I wan't them to go spectacularly bust, never to return !!

Big big win for the Villa yesterday. And apologies to anyone in earshot of me on Nottingham station when it came through on the BBC website we had got a 91st min winner. I did go a bit mental !!

Same on Crawley.
Hopefully we'll [Villa] get three points at home to Stoke (best of luck to them today) and then something from West Brom

Lucky buggers :) That pleased a few of my scum mates (I am from the Blue half if you didn't work that out) ;)

At this stage of the season it would could be an own goal off Rob Green's backside and I'd be happy with it, three points is the important thing.

Ivo

Established Member
I am of the opinion that Villa should be safe now. The chances of all but two of the eleven teams below them reaching 40 points are very low. In fact, one £5 rail voucher to all who declare themselves to be Villa fans within 24 hours should they go down! All above Villa are safe (if not necessarily mathematically so). I feel that with two games left it will be between the current bottom five (Blackburn, Blackpool, West Ham, Wigan, Wolves) and one of the teams currently on 38 (Birmingham, Fulham, Stoke, Sunderland).

I am pleased to say that we might yet be able to storm the top six!!! :D

Minilad

Established Member
I am of the opinion that Villa should be safe now. The chances of all but two of the eleven teams below them reaching 40 points are very low. In fact, one £5 rail voucher to all who declare themselves to be Villa fans within 24 hours should they go down! All above Villa are safe (if not necessarily mathematically so). I feel that with two games left it will be between the current bottom five (Blackburn, Blackpool, West Ham, Wigan, Wolves) and one of the teams currently on 38 (Birmingham, Fulham, Stoke, Sunderland).

I am pleased to say that we might yet be able to storm the top six!!! :D

Well if it does happen I will expect my £5 voucher as I will be a Villa fan and proud of it till the day I die.
Started supporting them in Division 3 so I can hardly be described as a glory hunter. And I live within 35 mins walk of the ground.
Villa and Proud !!