• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Ivo

Established Member
Well if it does happen I will expect my £5 voucher as I will be a Villa fan and proud of it till the day I die.
Started supporting them in Division 3 so I can hardly be described as a glory hunter. And I live within 35 mins walk of the ground.
Villa and Proud !!

I knew you were a Villa fan ;)

So you've supported them since the '70s? Even before Spink et al booted Bayern in the club's finest hour?

If it does happen, you tell me a diagram you're driving and I'll make a point of being on board and handing over the voucher at New Street...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minilad

Established Member
I was in Rotterdam that night 26th May 1982 !!
First game in 1970 in the 3rd Division against Torquay
Seen Villa do pretty much everything apart from win the FA Cup. Although I was at Wembley for the 2000 final against Chelski.
I think your £5 is safe now to be honest. But a couple of weeks ago I really did think we were going down

Geezertronic

Established Member
Well we're not safe quite yet so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for two away draws out of the next two matches, then hopefully back to winning ways when we host Wolves.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You now get to play Luton as well. In all honesty, Luton weren't relegated because they weren't good enough, unlike Darlo. They were relegated because the FA and FL didn't like them.
QUOTE]

Yes - last season was dire . You know when you stand in the crowd and think "I could do better than him - well last season ANYONE could have done!

Steve Staunton - No, just No. He should never work in football again.

Mintona

Established Member
You now get to play Luton as well. In all honesty, Luton weren't relegated because they weren't good enough, unlike Darlo. They were relegated because the FA and FL didn't like them.

No, they were relegated coz they cheated by paying money they didn't have, and got rightfully punished.

Reading fan here, hoping for promotion to the premier league!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No, they were relegated coz they cheated by paying money they didn't have, and got rightfully punished.

They did, and the punishment was a 20-point deduction for having been in administration 3 times in the previous 10 years. There is no need for the FA to intervene and slap another 10 on top of that. Would they do that to someone in the Premier League? Thought not.

On the surface the 10 points would not have saved them from the drop anyway but it's the psychological effect on the players that did most of the damage. They huffed and puffed for the whole season and for the last month or so they just stopped trying.

Grimsby were pretty cack for a few years so it was only right they were relegated the following year.

I don't have special feelings towards Luton, but I don't think the treatment they got from the FA was fair.

And yes Reading. Well done to McDermott. He's obviously an intelligent guy and I wish him well. With regards the club, well who can forget May 2001 :(.
Seriously congratulations on your recent achievements. It seemed like only yesterday when our clubs were plying their trade at the same level.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bump time!

Would just like to wish AFC Telford, Guiseley, Ebbsfleet and Farnborough all the best in the BSN/BSB play-offs finals tomorrow, and wish Lincoln and Stockport all the best in non-league. Man Utd won the Premier League today, and according to my Facebook News Feed did so in the way they know best - cheating. My God I hate United. Also, tomorrow see Scotland's best team retain the SPL title, and many more Celtic fans crying into their hooped scarves when they realise that they will be in our shadow forever. Finally, I want to say thanks to big Walter Smith for all his work at Rangers in his two stints - an absolute lgend, hopefully his successes will live on through Mr McCoist.

SS4

Established Member
Man Utd won the Premier League today, and according to my Facebook News Feed did so in the way they know best - cheating. My God I hate United.

Rumour has it Ferguson has had Howard Webb's contract renewed :lol:
I was disappointed that Man City were able to buy the cup, although they were the better team on the day could you really see any of those players being in the squad without the billionaires. At least Stoke still get Europa League next season IIRC.

I would like to see Forest back in the Prem - where European cup winners belong! If not Forest than one of the Welsh teams purely to see a local derby in the playoff final :p

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Cricket overlords are worried as the first day of a new test in Wales is the same day as the Championship P/O final, and they think no one will turn up! :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Because Ferguson is a big-headed, arrogant, selfish bully whom the FA are scared of, and who always gets his way. Even as an ex-Rangers man, I cannot stand him. A cheat, liar and ignorant <expletive> all rolled into one.

Darandio

Established Member
At least Stoke still get Europa League next season IIRC.

Yes, that was guaranteed on Tuesday once Man City qualified for the Champions League.

With Birmingham in the EL as well following the League Cup win, it should make Wednesdays and Thursdays more interesting next season, rather than watching the usual suspects. Saying that, we will be there again after beating Spurs tomorrow. :D

Eng274

The lesser side of Edinburgh's football team (Heart of Midlothian) is bankrolled by a russian ex-submariner, who rather than pay off the debts, took them on through his bank and moved it back to the club. So while all the local businesses and creditors have been paid, the ownership structure means the club owes £35million to itself. Even after a shares buy-up by the owner and debt for equity palaver worth £12m, they are still up to their shoulders in debt. On several occasions, playing staff and backroom staff have gone for weeks without being paid. One of the stadium's stands is a "victorian listed building" i.e. its an asbestos-ridden shack. They rent their training facilities at a local university, i'm dubious as to whether they even own their stadium, they're heavily in debt and the owner likes to dictate the team's selection via the fax machine.

I long await the day mad vlad realises he'll never get his investment back and pulls the plug :)

Man Utd's saviour's used the same cowardly tactic to buy the club, borrowed all of £700m to buy it, then saddled the debt onto the club! :o

Meanwhile in Glasgow, both teams are just as bad for debt, Lloyds banking group have a firm hold of the purse strings at Rangers FC which means no money has been released for major signings for a couple of seasons now. And they are still on course to win the title, which speaks volumes of the other half, which has spent millions and still lost a cup final to the skint lot. The skint lot are in the process of changing owners, so maybe some cash will be invested.

Having said that, Scottish football is stagnant, and I'm sure everyone's heard about the recent brawling and death threats, which further tarnishes an already woeful league.

Doesn't justify the stupid wages paid in England though. I watched a documentary recently about the workings of player transfers, and that the agents deny responsibility for the high wages because they're just the middle man, club chairmen blame the agents for over-valuing players, players cry "I'm just doing my job for a decent living" <(, managers claim they only hear about transfers and contracts when they read the papers. A whole "not my concern" culture exists and wage caps across Europe would ensure financially healthy clubs with a wage-turnover ratio less than 100%..

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Having said that, Scottish football is stagnant, and I'm sure everyone's heard about the recent brawling and death threats, which further tarnishes an already woeful league.

The only man I hate more than Ferguson in football. He brings it on himself. he needs to keep his mouth shut, and any anti-British views to himself. he received death threats? He needs to prove it. he is a vile excuse for human life, he isn't even good enough for Celtic.

CarterUSM

Established Member
The only man I hate more than Ferguson in football. He brings it on himself. he needs to keep his mouth shut, and any anti-British views to himself. he received death threats? He needs to prove it. he is a vile excuse for human life, he isn't even good enough for Celtic.

I know, I don't like John Reid either! B-)

Darandio

Established Member
he received death threats? He needs to prove it.

??

They were well documented before he ever had bombs addressed to him, he was under protection long before that.

He actually received multiple death threats when he was a player at Celtic, years before he became higher profile by becoming manager.

Eng274

His family and other leading Celtic figures were sent death threats, bombs, and bullets in the post. The moron who try to jump him at Tynecastle is due in court soon.

He is a despicable, snarling little toad who I have no time for, and does his own plea of innocence no good at all, but all this religious carry-on doesn't belong in football. Such was the level of bile against Neil Lennon, that a mother and daughter in a household in Edinburgh who lives nowhere near the accused, started to get abuse, death/rape/torture threats at their house and over the internet. all because she happened to have the same initials as the accused, and the knuckledraggers looked them up in the phone book! here is a link to the story.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
??

They were well documented before he ever had bombs addressed to him, he was under protection long before that.

He actually received multiple death threats when he was a player at Celtic, years before he became higher profile by becoming manager.

Does anyone actually have a copy of the threats? Anyone ever own up to it? Easy to say, hard to prove that they actually happened.

Darandio

Established Member
Does anyone actually have a copy of the threats? Anyone ever own up to it? Easy to say, hard to prove that they actually happened.

I am pretty sure things like that don't get released. But the police confirmed it, isn't that enough? I am pretty sure you harbour massive hate towards the guy but as a guy with a family and kids, surely these things are despicable even to you? No matter how much the guy gets under the skin.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I am pretty sure things like that don't get released. But the police confirmed it, isn't that enough? I am pretty sure you harbour massive hate towards the guy but as a guy with a family and kids, surely these things are despicable even to you? No matter how much the guy gets under the skin.

If he's gonna spit on rangers flags, sing anti-British songs, show open contempt towards the British, then go and try to represent a nation divided by such, go into management and wind up Rangers fans, and make an arse of himself, frankly, whatever he gets, he gets, and I'll be happily watching every step of the way.

CarterUSM

Established Member
There are a few folk currently in custody related to the packages sent to Lennon, QC Paul McBride and the MSP. Arrests made in Saltcoats I think, a couple of days ago.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
If he's gonna spit on rangers flags, sing anti-British songs, show open contempt towards the British, then go and try to represent a nation divided by such, go into management and wind up Rangers fans, and make an arse of himself, frankly, whatever he gets, he gets, and I'll be happily watching every step of the way.

I agree to an extent, but you can't excuse death threats, letter bombs or assaults no matter what he has done in the past or present

ralphchadkirk

Established Member

So you are actually condoning the death threats, attacks and letter bombs? No one deserves that.

HST Power

Established Member
I agree to an extent, but you can't excuse death threats, letter bombs or assaults no matter what he has done in the past or present

Absolutely. This sort of behavior is exactly what gives football a bad name.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am frankly surprised and disappointed by MattE2010's comments on this one. I only hope that it is not representatvie of the majority of fans. How will we ever stamp out violence in football if this sort of attitude is common place?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I am frankly surprised and disappointed by MattE2010's comments on this one. I only hope that it is not representatvie of the majority of fans. How will we ever stamp out violence in football if this sort of attitude is common place?

Be surprised and disappointed all you want, if he carries on like he is, one day someone is gonna get him. Maybe if he kept his fat mouth shut no one would have a problem with him, but he doesn't know when to quit. Frankly, whatever happens to him, I don't care.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
But it isn't about fotball is it? It's about religion, politics, hatred and other things that have noting to do with the sport. It goes far beyond the local and understandable rivalry that is seen in other cities. It also gives Scottish football a very bad name.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Just like I said, if he shut up, backed down and apologised just for once, no-one would have a problem with him. But he can't. He's brough all this on himself, no he just needs to get out of it.

Killie 0-3 The Gers after eight minutes :D