• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SS4

Established Member
I do have to say that Aston Villa aren't too good for the drop this season, its just that Wigan, WBA, West Ham, Blackpool and Blackburn are all determined on doing worse!

Don't forget Birmingham. It's the only thing consoling our current league woes. If we are relegated we need to cut the chaff, rebuild around our youth and regain promotion sooner rather than later

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
You forgot Wolves as well, or does that go without saying?

Three W's for the drop this year for me... I'd like Wolves to stay up, if only because it'll keep Holly sweet (that and it's an easy three points if today is anything to go by). On the other hand, to hell with West Ham! <D

Ferret

Established Member
I'll be chuffed if West Ham go down, purely because they should've gone down a few years ago when Tevez rescued them. It'd be a marvellous comeuppance! I'd go so far as to say the only way I'd be pi##ed off if Villa went down was if we were 18th and they 17th. Regardless of tribal supporter gibber, I honestly fancy Birmingham City for the drop - they really haven't been good enough all season apart from in cup football. Much like Villa though, they have some genuine quality players who are capable of getting them out of the mire - whether the desire is there at either club is open to question...

Ivo

Established Member
I'll be chuffed if West Ham go down, purely because they should've gone down a few years ago when Tevez rescued them. It'd be a marvellous comeuppance!

If I had been the one to call their punishment, I would have not fined them or deducted them points - instead, they'd have been relegated. And if they had finished 18th or worse, it would be a double relegation. Nice, huh? :lol:

How Wimbo can be fined 18 points for something similar but on a far smaller scale - even if it was reduced to 3 - and those cheating ****s get away with no deduction at all is beyond me. The Prem/FA should have been ashamed of themselves.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh hell; I just thought.

West Ham must NOT be relegated!

Why? Millwall!

mumrar

Established Member
I don't recall seeing a season as closely competitive in the PL for a long time. United have been poor at times, just less poor than the others. Liverpool may be 6th now, but at one point we were in the drop zone, and Everton now 7th were rock bottom at one point. Consistency has been all over the place, Arsenal look set to complete the quadruple of bottling every title they're up for too. Just 14 points span 6th-20th at this stage of the season. That fat lady has some waiting to do before she can belt a tune out!

connor7777

Manchester City :) well I keep it quiet abut supporting them.

another thing that is od is that newly formed clubs always do well

halifax, chester, afc wimbledon, fc untd. why is this

Ivo

Established Member
How they formed usually results in them having very large fan bases, which means that they can afford to cherry-pick the best players from said fan base. The others can then attend the games, which leads to greater revenue, and in turn the ability to buy better players. And it goes from there.

connor7777

and why do people mainly support united, arsenal,chelsea or liverpool, is it because they usually win trophies and people dont want to support a team that loses and relegated.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I support Sunderland AFC and pre railway employment I used to go to practically every home match and many away games. However due to shifts, problems getting swaps and indeed the company I was keeping at the football my home and away trips have trickled to only a few. The fact that I got married also had an effect as my Wife expects us to do other things on a Saturday afternoon if I'm off and add to the fact how expensive Premier League football is!

I also support Whitley Bay and will be off to Wembley with them this year (again!). I have actually been to more Whitley Bay games than Sunderland in the last few years, including this years Semi-Final of the FA Vase 1st leg away.

SS4

Established Member
and why do people mainly support united, arsenal,chelsea or liverpool, is it because they usually win trophies and people dont want to support a team that loses and relegated.

Largely but by no means all and I'd be tempted to add man city to that list now since they got taken over.

There is a term for it: Glory Hunters

Zoe

Established Member
The most annoying thing I find is that every time there is a Euro or World Cup you get all this "England are going to win it" in the media all the time. Personally I don't support England as I know they are overhyped and seem to expect that they should be winning. The England team may well be good at beating more lower ranked teams but as soon as they come up against one of Argentina, Brazil, Germany or Portugal they are time and time again knocked out. If England really were the best team then they would at least have made a final since 1966.

SS4

Established Member
The most annoying thing I find is that every time there is a Euro or World Cup you get all this "England are going to win it" in the media all the time. Personally I don't support England as I know they are overhyped and seem to expect that they should be winning. The England team may well be good at beating more lower ranked teams but as soon as they come up against one of Argentina, Brazil, Germany or Portugal they are time and time again knocked out. If England really were the best team then they would at least have made a final since 1966.

I agree, England's superiority complex knows no bounds. Let's face it, they're ok but not world class

connor7777

Plus, the local media are biast against other home nation clubs, when Wales or Scotland etc play, they dont care, I thaught they were not allowed to be biast anymore.

junglejames

Established Member
Neither have we though...

<( Because the idiots from across the park cost us our best ever chance!!!!! <(

It is especially amusing though given that both Arsenal and Chelsea have reached the Final, with one having been ahead and the other miss the "winning" penalty!

Blame the ref in the first case. He was on Barces side. How else can you explain Henry getting fould, and Barce getting the freekick.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
England, at least not during my lifetime, has never been a world class team. Yes, we qualify (except for Euro 2008!) for all tournaments almost faultlessly, but when we do that we play Wales, Lithuania, Estonia etc, teams that would cause any top 32 team very little worries. Whilst Argentina, Spain and Italy remain at large, we will always lose, we just are not good enough.

The FIFA ranking do us a massive compliment: we are sixth, yet teams like Italy and Portugal are lower. Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany and Holland are all above us, yet to be honest; I think we would lose to any of the top 16 in a professional competition.

It is nice to see others in the top 16 though - Russia, Chile, Japan, Norway, Greece, Croatia and Uruguay: who would have put money on that lot being above France four years ago? I wish them all the best of luck for the future; they've got more going for them then Rooney et al.

NB - the rankings are from March 2011, update due Wednesday.

Interesting stuff also of note:
France are world number 18;
Northern Ireland are the second best home nation (though the Republic are higher).

Zoe

Established Member
Before anyone says that England have just been unlucky with penalties, if they were as good as people say they are then they shouldn't need to go to penalties. Also at the 1998 World Cup with Argentina leading 4 - 3 in the shootout they sent forward David Batty to take the penalty to keep England in. It was saved but that wasn't too surprising considering he had never taken a penalty before in his life.

Nightrider

Wouldn't say as such i'm into football, i'd more descibe myself as one of that nerdy group that have a interest in stadium architecture and social history.
The most famous football stadium architect was a chap called Archiebald Leitch.
Most of the original grounds in the UK can be traced back to him at some stage.
A strange claim to fame he has is that he started in his career with a major disaster at Ibrox Stadium in 1902 and then became famous afterwards.
Anybody else would have died of shame at his early attempts at building high terracing made of wood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Leitch

ps, i have a soft spot for Clyde FC who used to be my local team before they moved 15 miles away.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Wouldn't say as such i'm into football, i'd more descibe myself as one of that nerdy group that have a interest in stadium architecture and social history.
A strange claim to fame he has is that he started in his career with a major disaster at Ibrox Stadium in 1902 and then became famous afterwards.
Anybody else would have died of shame at his early attempts at building high terracing made of wood.

ps, i have a soft spot for Clyde FC who used to be my local team before they moved 15 miles away.

I have a passing interest in Mr Leitch's work myself, and built Firhill's old main stand amongst many others of course, with Ibrox being a notable example as you say. Poor Clyde, they really missed a trick, East Kilbride would have been a far better place to move to, far closer to their heartland of Rutherglen than where they ended up! They are on their last legs by the looks of it now however. Interestingly, in the Scottish media during the past week, the actor who bought the name Third Lanark, wants to refurbish the old Cathkin Park to a higher standard in preparation for his Amateur team to play there in the future, perhaps even at senior level.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
England, as has been noted really have a cross to bear in regards to expectation of success, but I really haven't seen a "great" England team in my lifetime. I have however seen Scotland get progressively worse, and worse, a little better, and worse! I am amazed that the overall results with England over the years of the Home International are surprisingly even considering the population gap between the two, though we did pioneer "pass and move" when English clubs were still playing with 9 up front! I have a soft spot for Northern Ireland also, it is great to see them doing so well.

Nightrider

I have a passing interest in Mr Leitch's work myself, and built Firhill's old main stand amongst many others of course, with Ibrox being a notable example as you say. Poor Clyde, they really missed a trick, East Kilbride would have been a far better place to move to, far closer to their heartland of Rutherglen than where they ended up! They are on their last legs by the looks of it now however. Interestingly, in the Scottish media during the past week, the actor who bought the name Third Lanark, wants to refurbish the old Cathkin Park to a higher standard in preparation for his Amateur team to play there in the future, perhaps even at senior level.

I believe the story goes that East Kilbride council stated they didn't want a senior football team and the possible baggage that might come with in the New Town.
Sad and kinda petty.

Anon Mouse

Established Member

Yup his wonderful latticework was on the Main Stand at our long missed Roker Park ground. Much more souldthan the sterile Stadium of Light!

Minilad

Established Member
I saw Fernando Torres in town today.
I said, "Can you sign my shirt?"
He said, "Have you got a pen?"
I said, "****, no. Hang on".
With that I threw myself on the floor, rolled over theatrically and began to cry.
He said, "How's that going to get a pen?"
I said, "Well that's how you do it"

HST Power

Established Member
I saw Fernando Torres in town today.
I said, "Can you sign my shirt?"
He said, "Have you got a pen?"
I said, "****, no. Hang on".
With that I threw myself on the floor, rolled over theatrically and began to cry.
He said, "How's that going to get a pen?"
I said, "Well that's how you do it"

Great stuff! Though I can think of about fifty other footballers who are excactly the same! :lol:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Wrong game for me I'm afraid. I do, however, love travelling around the North by train to watch a bit of Rugby League.

I am not a football lover, think being forced to do it at school in the 1970s put me off forever, but I like Rugby-six nations etc.

EM2

Established Member
Big football fan here, and I support West Ham, so if anyone wants to argue the Tevez case, fire away! And while I admit that what West Ham did was wrong, it's the inconsistency that gets most Irons fans, not the fact that we were found guilty.

Also have a soft spot for Maidstone United (used to watch them when I was at school and couldn't afford to go to London) and Slough Town (did some Football In The Community coaching for them some years ago). But seeing as both clubs have had a real rough time since, I'm not going to watch any more non-League, as I am a bit of a Jonah!

Minilad

Established Member
Big football fan here, and I support West Ham, so if anyone wants to argue the Tevez case, fire away! And while I admit that what West Ham did was wrong, it's the inconsistency that gets most Irons fans, not the fact that we were found guilty.

Also have a soft spot for Maidstone United (used to watch them when I was at school and couldn't afford to go to London) and Slough Town (did some Football In The Community coaching for them some years ago). But seeing as both clubs have had a real rough time since, I'm not going to watch any more non-League, as I am a bit of a Jonah!

Big game on Saturday for your lot against my lot !!

EM2

Established Member
Big game on Saturday for your lot against my lot !!
Indeed. And three weeks ago, I'd have been pretty confident about getting a result. But now? I have no idea which West Ham will turn up. The performance at the weekend against Bolton was pitiful, yet the one against Liverpool was superb.
Something is not right though. We've had new owners, new managers and new players and nothing is changing.

Minilad

Established Member
Indeed. And three weeks ago, I'd have been pretty confident about getting a result. But now? I have no idea which West Ham will turn up. The performance at the weekend against Bolton was pitiful, yet the one against Liverpool was superb.
Something is not right though. We've had new owners, new managers and new players and nothing is changing.

Welcome to our world !!
To be honest I will take a draw now if it was offered. We absolutely destroyed you on the opening day but we haven't played like that since !

YorkshireBear

Established Member
could be worse i support sheffield wednesday :/ weve had new owners new managers new better players and we just dropped through league 1 like a stone