• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Gio has been a massive let down for the team.

Schwartzmann would be my only logical choice. Bringing Mick into F1 now would just turn him into another Bruno Senna.

On the Hulk front, an outsider for him next season is Racing Point (soon to be Aston Martin). If some miracle happens and there's seat there next season, he's the obvious choice. I'm ruling Seb out now, after the last few races, I think he's mentally checked out of the sport.

I was a huge fan of Gio in 2017. He had a good debut subbing for Wehrlein and I was willing to overlook his second race. But as a teammate to Räikkönen he hasn't shown any consistent form.

100% agree with that about Schumacher, I can only see him being a like-for-like replacement for Gio at best. Both are nowhere near a Ferrari seat, whereas I can see Schwartzmann making it all the way. Plus the Russian backing can't hurt, surely ;)

And as for Seb, I just don't feel he's been providing any form of excitement since 2018. He still has a good name, but when Leclerc continues to trounce him three out of four times, what's the point?

Presumably referring to Sainz's tyre burst.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Leclerc has been dragging his awful (by their standards) Ferrari around very much like Vettel with the major difference that Leclerc has been in the right place at the right time in two of the races this season hence his current two podiums whereas Vettel has been as poor as the car he is driving in both qualy and race

Mogster

Silverstone are extending the inside kerb at Chapel for this weekend, further towards Becketts. Seems to be the smoking gun for the left front failures, you could see earth being thrown up there all weekend. Maybe they should just stay on track... Imola is going to be interesting.

PG

Established Member
Perez has again tested positive for Covid-19 so Hulkenburg is driving this weekend.

Racing Point have also been fined and had 15 constructors points deducted for copying brake ducts from Mercedes.

Howardh

Established Member
So there's a chance the championship could well be a three-way race now Verstappen has his first win of the season. Thought he might have blown it coming in for a further tyre change about 5 laps or so after a previous change, but well done to the team for working it all out.

Q - do the teams only get a certain amount of tyres to last them the whole weekend? Heard the commentator explain one car (at least) was on used tyres, presumably used during qualifying?

Domh245

Established Member
So there's a chance the championship could well be a three-way race now Verstappen has his first win of the season. Thought he might have blown it coming in for a further tyre change about 5 laps or so after a previous change, but well done to the team for working it all out.

Q - do the teams only get a certain amount of tyres to last them the whole weekend? Heard the commentator explain one car (at least) was on used tyres, presumably used during qualifying?

It went from a 1.5 horse race to a 1 horse race last weekend with Bottas' non-score - it's Hamilton's to loose, and really has been since testing

As for tyre allocation, they have 13 tyres available for the weekend, as well as an additional set of softs only if they get into the final qualifying session. A certain number of these have to be returned after the practice sessions, meaning that going into the race all drivers will have the same number of tyre sets available, albeit some will be used and some will be new. For the opening races of 2020 Pirelli have fixed the allocations, in previous seasons teams have been able to choose the allocation themselves

Geezertronic

Established Member
So we could be losing another iconic name from the grid with the sale of Williams to investment firm Dorilton Capital. I wonder how this will affect them, whether they will go under a different name from next season, and whether the Williams family will sill have an involvement in the running of the team?

JamesT

Established Member
So we could be losing another iconic name from the grid with the sale of Williams to investment firm Dorilton Capital. I wonder how this will affect them, whether they will go under a different name from next season, and whether the Williams family will sill have an involvement in the running of the team?

Williams is still a good brand, even if their last title win was over 20 years ago, I think that would have been part of why the new owners bought it. They might keep Frank as a figurehead, but if they want success then there might be a bit of a clear-out including Claire.

D365

Veteran Member
I read that Dorilton were interested in keeping the Williams name/heritage on the grid?

Howardh

Established Member
Spa this coming weekend? Might be interesting weather-wise if the current run of depressions continues!

Domh245

Established Member
They'll get a payment for just keeping the Williams name, same as Ferrari, so I doubt they'll ever get rid of it.

Not necessarily - that was part of the Concorde agreement and I would think that liberty would be keen to get rid of the 'heritage payments' under the new Concorde agreement as part of the drive to level the playing field financially

GB

Established Member
Not necessarily - that was part of the Concorde agreement and I would think that liberty would be keen to get rid of the 'heritage payments' under the new Concorde agreement as part of the drive to level the playing field financially

The new agreement has already been agreed and signed with all teams with heritage payments part of it.

Domh245

Established Member
The new agreement has already been agreed and signed with all teams with heritage payments part of it.

Ah, I didn't realise the heritage payments had been carried over - I hadn't seen mention of it in any of the stories talking about all the teams signing up

Ahead of the Italian Grand Prix this afternoon, Renault have announced a rebrand to there endurance car brand - named Alpine for the 2021 season.

Also the two Sprint Races in F3 and F2, saw 2 British wins this morning!

Birmingham's Jake Hughes clinched his 3rd F3 win - with 2nd win of the season & 3rd of his career. He lies 7th in the Championship with the Mugillo finale next weekend.

That was followed by a British 1-2 with Williams Academy Driver Dan Ticktum winning the F2 and Ferrari Academy Driver Callum Ilott in 2nd. Ilott has retaken the Championship lead; 5 points ahead of Mick Schumacher and 7 points clear of Robert Swartzman with 4 rounds and 8 races to go!

Domh245

Established Member
Also the two Sprint Races in F3 and F2, saw 2 British wins this morning!

Even if the F1 races (and championship) this year are a bit dull, the feeder series at least are full of entertainment

edit to add: of course I say that and today's GP turns out to be a particularly interesting one)

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Even if the F1 races (and championship) this year are a bit dull, the feeder series at least are full of entertainment

edit to add: of course I say that and today's GP turns out to be a particularly interesting one)
Well today's race wan't the same as most of the others. Hamilton was relegated to 7th by a 10 second penalty because he drove down a closed pit lane. Bottas 5th and Gasly got the top podium position! The only normal aspect was that both Ferraris failed to finish, - Vettel with a brake failure and Leclerc crashed into the barriers at the parabolica, - not hurt though.
Hamilton is still 47 points ahead though.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Replacing Gasly with Albon isn't really working out for Red Bull. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

I think it's the "my poor mum was so badly treated by being imprisoned for defrauding people out of their life savings" schtick, but I really cannot stand Albon.

Well today's race wan't the same as most of the others. Hamilton was relegated to 7th by a 10 second penalty because he drove down a closed pit lane. Bottas 5th and Gasly got the top podium position! The only normal aspect was that both Ferraris failed to finish, - Vettel with a brake failure and Leclerc crashed into the barriers at the parabolica, - not hurt though.
Hamilton is still 47 points ahead though.
Hamilton's penalty was unfortunate but it did make for a more interesting race, Hamilton Penalty was of course much more than 10 seconds given it was a pit penalty and during a bunched up field as the race restarted the fact he managed to get back up 7th was good going even with the best car, fortunately his nearest rivals didn't do very well either.

Personally I think they should change the rules on a red flag race I don't think you should be allowed to change Tyres in the red flag period except if it starts to rain or is raining, I also don't think you should be allowed to change Tyres in a safety car period either, unless its also rains.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Personally I think they should change the rules on a red flag race I don't think you should be allowed to change Tyres in the red flag period except if it starts to rain or is raining, I also don't think you should be allowed to change Tyres in a safety car period either, unless its also rains.

I kind of agree about red flags, and feel really sorry for Sainz, and not just because I'm a McLaren fan.

But not about safety cars. It's all part of the sport, whichever way you do it you get winners and losers. It used to be that you couldn't change tyres during a safety car, which is why Renault's cheating in Singapore was so effective.

I'd say it's working out perfectly. It shows how verstappen centric Red Bull is.

The constructors' championship is where the money comes from, and passengers don't help.

I agree about Red Bull though. It's why Ricciardo left,much as Red Bull tried to say Daniel was greedy it was that he stood no chance against Max. You saw that in Baku when the team sides with Verstappen, and then again in Mexico when Ricciardo got pole and Horner looked like someone had shot his mum.

GB

Established Member
I'd be more inclined to suggest you should be able to change tyres during a red flad but not the compound.

AM9

Veteran Member
Hamilton's penalty was unfortunate but it did make for a more interesting race, Hamilton Penalty was of course much more than 10 seconds given it was a pit penalty and during a bunched up field as the race restarted the fact he managed to get back up 7th was good going even with the best car, fortunately his nearest rivals didn't do very well either. ...
It did seem like the Italians of Old, - poorly located warning signals/flags, deciding to put them on late and fumbling/dropping the Ferrari when removing it from the various bits of the tyre wall.
Hamilton, as usual, didn't argue about the decision, he just got on with minimising the impact of his relegation and openly congratulated Gasly on his win. I can't imagine Vettel doing any of that!

66701GBRF

Didn’t argue about the decision? Did you miss the bit where he went up to see the stewards of his own accord during the red flag?

Domh245

Established Member
It did seem like the Italians of Old, - poorly located warning signals/flags, deciding to put them on late

'poorly located' as they might be*, they were explicitly pointed out in the race director's event notes (5.2 & pit lane map) - to argue that the driver wasn't aware of them/that they were poorly sighted is to admit that they hadn't read the event notes/voiced concerns previously (which contain all manner of other safety considerations such as locations of fire marshalls, off-track procedures for certain turns, etc). It's also the Race Director (Australian, Michael Masi) who'd have given the nod to close the pits

* I don't see where else they can really put them, other than possibly an extra set at the braking zone for the parabolica. Having them at the Pit In line is too late given the high speed nature of the track at that point (and the great big wall!)

gswindale

Didn’t argue about the decision? Did you miss the bit where he went up to see the stewards of his own accord during the red flag?
From Motorsport.com it doesn't sound like an argument, but more the actions of someone trying to understand how they made a mistake.
I came back, spoke to the team, they didn't have any video, and I just wanted to see what had been missed
If he would have had that conversation after the race, would you still described it as an argument?