• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
I like the new website but, in my threads, I seem to have "lost" many of my photographs. They were being hosted on the "Rods n Sods" website and I had just cut and pasted them to this site before to get larger images. Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I have looked but cannot see if this is just a temporary issue.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I like the new website but, in my threads, I seem to have "lost" many of my photographs. They were being hosted on the "Rods n Sods" website and I had just cut and pasted them to this site before to get larger images. Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I have looked but cannot see if this is just a temporary issue.
Could you please provide me a link to one of your threads?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Further investigation had led me to find that the forum software does indeed run at 96×96 at the back end, but the display code shrinks it to 90×90 by having margin & padding inside the 96×96 container.

@Mojo I think the CSS should be tweaked to address this — it unfortunately makes two layers of blurring unavoidable. I can recommend the required tweak, or you could just show Pixel Exit this post and if they're still contracted to provide small updates to their theme design :)
Hi Ryan, thanks for your message. I will need to check if that is default xF behaviour or not. If not then hopefully one of the forum staff can add it to the list of things to look at, as I hope to be able to rectify a few little things in the style that are not quite how I'd like them to be.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Will the option to have different folders within a PM/conversations inbox be added at some point?

BlueFox

This is one of my threads ....Link here...
GCR Bridge Project
Reply to Thread

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Flying Phil, 18 Apr 2016.

To link to a specific post, click on the post number at the bottom right corner of the post for the link. If you're using it on a mobile you might have to rotate the screen to see it.

Presumably this is the post you mean: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gcr-bridge-project.129483/#post-2534863

For SSL (the site being on https instead of http) to work properly, images hosted externally now have to go through a proxy.
Sometimes this causes images not to appear properly.

I had this problem on my forum, and after a lot of trial and error with various settings etc, the only thing that would make it work reliably was to turn off IPv6 support on the server.
If you upload images directly to the site, rather than linking to external images, this problem won't happen.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks Blue Fox, I did upload some pictures directly but could only get them to show as thumbnails, hence my use of RnS hosting.
I would not know how to even find IPv6 - if I knew what it was!
I regret to say that I am getting increasingly left behind these days but perhaps with the new site uploading pictures full size is easier?

BlueFox

Thanks Blue Fox, I did upload some pictures directly but could only get them to show as thumbnails, hence my use of RnS hosting.
I would not know how to even find IPv6 - if I knew what it was!
I regret to say that I am getting increasingly left behind these days but perhaps with the new site uploading pictures full size is easier?

It's easy to show the full image when uploading on this new system.

The IPv6 thing was for the forum administrators.

JB_B

Established Member
All looks good. I guess there's no chance of switching from flat to threaded discussion? Also, I think I could upload pdfs upto 2MB before - that's gone down to 1MB max.

martin2345uk

Established Member
All looks good. I guess there's no chance of switching from flat to threaded discussion? Also, I think I could upload pdfs upto 2MB before - that's gone down to 1MB max.

What’s threaded discussions..?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apparently someone liked an old post of mine! Is there a like system now? o_O
As per the original post in this thread ("Some things might not be working initially, or might not behave as expected. For example some people might see a 'Like' button - this will be removed"), and subsequent discussion over numerous pages, there will not be a like function, although this is part of the default xF settings.

JB_B

Established Member
What’s threaded discussions..?

I a flat discussion forum (like this) the posts just stack up one under the other with no indication (apart from quoting) of which item upthread is being responded to. This can get get quite confusing - when a discussion spins out into 2 or more sub-topics and your just interested in one area - you have to trawl through lots of irrelevant posts. In a threaded discussion responses are organised by which post they're in reply to (e.g. by indentation) so they're usally easier to follow - particularly when threads get very long.

XenForo will support this (and so did vBulletin ) - so it may be a policy decision to stick to flat - there are pros and cons to both.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I a flat discussion forum (like this) the posts just stack up one under the other with no indication (apart from quoting) of which item upthread is being responded to. This can get get quite confusing - when a discussion spins out into 2 or more sub-topics and your just interested in one area - you have to trawl through lots of irrelevant posts. In a threaded discussion responses are organised by which post they're in reply to (e.g. by indentation) so they're usally easier to follow - particularly when threads get very long.

XenForo will support this (and so did vBulletin ) - so it may be a policy decision to stick to flat - there are pros and cons to both.
Threaded mode has not really been used on web forums in over a decade; it was an option on the last version of vB however it is not supported on the by xenForo (although a plugin can be purchased).

AndrewE

Established Member
Could you please provide me a link to one of your threads?
Ha! What I miss is the drop-down box that used to appear when you hover over a poster's username which let you select "other/more posts by same member."

Lrd

Established Member
Ha! What I miss is the drop-down box that used to appear when you hover over a poster's username which let you select "other/more posts by same member."
It's one click now. Just click on the number of messages under their username.

AndrewE

Established Member
Thanks for that, I would probably never have noticed the link as my cursor passed over it!

Bill EWS

The update looks fine. Takes a while to find everything but have not found any problems so far.

Crossover

Established Member

Didn't know this - thanks! Though a lot of the older posts aren't listed on there (some are, some aren't) so until our post counts on XenForo builds up, it may not be too much help initially

The new forum is full of little surprises :smile: (just not unicode emojis)

Easter eggs ;)

Crossover

Established Member
Another query from me. Is it is possible on the list of posts one has made (I am mainly looking at me here!) to differentiate which of the threads posted on have new posts? vB used to do this by means of bold thread titles on the ones with new posts, and was predominantly how I viewed what threads I had posted on had new comments since

LeylandLen

3 little thing I dont like ..
1. I dont like the 'Hi' greeting, much prefer 'Hello'
2. None of the forums are really 'new' to most of us; when does the word 'new' disappear ?
3. I contribute to the forums by writing.I dont converse ;I dislike 'conversations' ; surely thats a vocal term!
and how long do you stay on before being 'timed out' and have to log in again???
I know Im being pedantic ; just a few minor points. Otherwise I do like 95% of Railforums.co.uk
Takes getting used to of course especially for 'oldies' like me and many others I suspect.Keep up the good work ...

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1. I dont like the 'Hi' greeting, much prefer 'Hello'
The message in the blue box at the top of the forum is a temporary message typed by me to notify people of this thread to discuss the changes. It is not part of the forum or intended to be any sort of permanent "greeting."
2. None of the forums are really 'new' to most of us; when does the word 'new' disappear ?
The "New" notification means that there are unread posts/threads within that forum.
3. I contribute to the forums by writing.I dont converse ;I dislike 'conversations' ; surely thats a vocal term!
A "Conversation" is just a Private Message, except they can now include more than one person (beforehand any replies or followups didn't go to all people the message was sent to unless their username was manually typed in).

Crossover

Established Member
and how long do you stay on before being 'timed out' and have to log in again???

I was going to pass comment about this - it is much improved from before as it seems that if you log in and don't tick to stay logged in, you remain logged in until you close your browser, unlike before when it was after a short period of inactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.