• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Intermodal after trainee drivers across UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

winefarm

I wonder what depots/Terminals the Vacancies are for ?

I'm 1/2 way between Liverpool & Manchester so within travelling distance of Seaforth, Liverpool, Manchester & Ditton.

what areas are everyone else in ?

I'm in Manchester, there's also Crewe which is close and I would have though most likely to be assigned.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kelv

I'm in Manchester, there's also Crewe which is close and I would have though most likely to be assigned.

looking at their map the North West has the most depots, but that doesn't necessarily mean the most positions.

class 9

There is only one Freightliner Intermodal Traincrew depot in north west England: Crewe.
Just to clear up any confusion, there is only 7 Intermodal traincrew depots nationwide:- Birmingham,Crewe,Ipswich,Eastleigh,Tilbury,Leeds and Mossend.
There are plenty of terminals and destinations but only these places where drivers are actually based.

Last edited:

Ellipsis

not really, as that is why they ask if you are willing to relocate on the first page!

regards,
darryl

Thanks for that, I couldn't remember if they asked about relocating and panicked a little bit when I saw kelv's post :D

387star

On Moderation
When I applied last year for heavy haul and got through to the managers the only depot near me was Eastleigh which I was told was dead mans shoes and hadn't been advertised... Then it turned out it was snapped up by someone who had past the assessments already and had their medical days after my interview ... They had their managers when I was sitting assessments

So not much point stating locations as they vary a lot

Jydo

Ive just submitted an application, previously tried with Scotrail & bottled it at the 1st assessment centre, im litterally a stone throw away from Mossend depot, not holding out too much hope tbh but you got to buy a ticket if ye want to win, good luck to everybody applying

JCLeeds

Did I miss something or was there anywhere on the application anything that mentioned the location you wanted to apply for?

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Did I miss something or was there anywhere on the application anything that mentioned the location you wanted to apply for?

No there wasn't. Nothing to do with any locations at all. Just asking if you were willing to relocate.

Last edited:

Jydo

Nothing on the Freighliners website regarding locations but plenty in this thread if you read it

There is only one Freightliner Intermodal Traincrew depot in north west England: Crewe.
Just to clear up any confusion, there is only 7 Intermodal traincrew depots nationwide:- Birmingham,Crewe,Ipswich,Eastleigh,Tilbury,Leeds and Mossend.
There are plenty of terminals and destinations but only these places where drivers are actually based.

Sammy h

Just applied now, hoping to go one better than last year. Has anyone been contacted for a phone interview yet? This wasn't part of the process last year.

Daz9284

Just applied now, hoping to go one better than last year. Has anyone been contacted for a phone interview yet? This wasn't part of the process last year.

As the site said (and been mentioned on here), they will contact successful applicants during May 2015

Franqui62

I've applied on 8th April. Wasn't expecting the test as part of it, as I hadn't been on these forums before. I presume we would get an automatic "not suitable" message if we didn't meet the criteria from the online test? Is that what's happened to people in the past? It just said I'd hear early May if through to next stage. Good luck everyone.

mez

Does anyone know where the training for these positions will be at?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know where the training would take place for people who are selected for the course? I heard it was Ipswich but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Daz9284

Does anyone know where the training for these positions will be at?
Does anyone know where the training would take place for people who are selected for the course? I heard it was Ipswich but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I know there is a training facility at crewe but not sure if this is for all FL or just FLHH.

regards,
darryl

mez

Yeah I thought it might just be FLHH at crewe but I don't really have any knowledge to back that up

AD15

Crewe do some intermodal training, my mate when on his shunting course there, and said he was with some intermodal trainnies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
http://freightliner.qmtech.net/

More vacancies?

Freightliner Driver Graduate Scheme said:
Applications will be taken from 18 March 2015 and will close at midnight on 15 April 2015.

All required information for your application will be collected through this website. We will not accept applications by any other method.

If you successfully reach the next stage of the application process you will be contacted early May 2015. If you are not successful, due the high volume of applications, you will not be contacted. We will be unable to provide individual feedback.

Last edited:

The Snap

Established Member
I don't think the vacancy stated the salary did it? Anyone any ideas?

I'm not concerned about the salary on qualifying, more so the salary whilst training. The FLHH training salary advertised last year was £18k which is pretty low and off-putting...

kelv

I'm not concerned about the salary on qualifying, more so the salary whilst training. The FLHH training salary advertised last year was £18k which is pretty low and off-putting...

By Rail Standards it's down the bottom end but it's a decent wage to be paid whilst learning something.
I'm a 'Time Served' machinist and there are plenty of jobs in that trade that are paying around that for someone that's fully qualified, and thats working on shifts as well. The wages haven't gone up any in the last 20 years unless you're at British Aerospace or somewhere.
I'd happily take that wage to be learning a new job with the Fully Qualified wage at the end.

I have got kids like so I'll get Tax Credits that'll help out a little bit.

YoungBuck

Seems like a lot of people have been told different dates for hearing a reply. Maybe they'll stagger the training if there's a lot of vacancies.
Being from a completely different industry this has been a very interesting 12 pages. For all those that get through good luck! It seems to be that many of you have applied to be train drivers before etc this is my first ever attempt so it's all very new to me, exciting though and it's only the first stage.

Also I originally seen the job advertised on indeed.com, they had two separate job entries, one for Southampton and one for London. I don't know if that sheds some light on the locations available

Last edited:

class 9

I read somewhere online, there was 20 vacancies nationwide and they've had 10000 applications!

JCLeeds

I've applied on 8th April. Wasn't expecting the test as part of it, as I hadn't been on these forums before. I presume we would get an automatic "not suitable" message if we didn't meet the criteria from the online test? Is that what's happened to people in the past? It just said I'd hear early May if through to next stage. Good luck everyone.

Unfortunately thats not what happens. This will be my 3rd time applying for FL and not once have I heard anything after the application. So you never have a clue if you passed the test or not...

Choo13

I read somewhere online, there was 20 vacancies nationwide and they've had 10000 applications!

There was 8000 applicants for the June intake with only 15 spaces available, you will only be processed if you got all 12 questions correct on the test! Anyone that has applied previously will not be counted unless they re-applied on line! Hope this helps :)

You're only on 18k for 10 weeks, then 24k for 24 weeks then 37k for 72 weeks after that before getting full drivers salary. Hope that helps!

387star

On Moderation
There was 8000 applicants for the June intake with only 15 spaces available, you will only be processed if you got all 12 questions correct on the test! Anyone that has applied previously will not be counted unless they re-applied on line! Hope this helps :)

You're only on 18k for 10 weeks, then 24k for 24 weeks then 37k for 72 weeks after that before getting full drivers salary. Hope that helps!

When you say. June do you mean last year's heavy haul campaign? I got through the sift but sure as hell didn't get all right however. I owe my success to that Barrons book and remaining calm under pressure!

I was delighted to put my gear and mechanical knowledge to the test after years of revision only for the mechanical test to be removed from the core tests

Anyway I didn't get through the managers

Since passed a FGW managers interview and hoping that will materialise... On a reserve list along with plenty of others

Applied for this again as a backup but sadly the questions to the test were different to the questions last year and for sure didn't get all right not sure did that well to be honest but will see

Wonder what the telephone interview will be like

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.