• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FTPE Trainee Train Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Doobyjangler

About a month apart for me, stage 1 was York though there were other options, stage 2 at FTPE HQ in Manchester but again alternative venues were available.

ant2000

About a month apart for me, stage 1 was York though there were other options, stage 2 at FTPE HQ in Manchester but again alternative venues were available.

cheers.

how did you get on? did you pass both assessment days? and I take it you find out on the day if you've been successful?

how long is the day of assessments?

Doobyjangler

cheers.

how did you get on? did you pass both assessment days? and I take it you find out on the day if you've been successful?

how long is the day of assessments?

Hi

Got through to the Manager's interview last time. I reckon the first day was around 4 hrs and the second more like 6.

In terms of progression, notice of advancement to stage 2 was via email. During the 2nd stage people left whenever they didn't hit a particular standard (it seemed a couple of the 6 who attended our day didn't complete the MMI after testing).

Again, though they tell you on the day whether or not you've been succesful in the tests you'll be informed via email within a couple of weeks if you've nailed the MMI and are being offered a Manager's interview.

Similarly, just over a week after that you'll get the yay or nay email.
Good luck!!

ant2000

Hi

Got through to the Manager's interview last time. I reckon the first day was around 4 hrs and the second more like 6.

In terms of progression, notice of advancement to stage 2 was via email. During the 2nd stage people left whenever they didn't hit a particular standard (it seemed a couple of the 6 who attended our day didn't complete the MMI after testing).

Again, though they tell you on the day whether or not you've been succesful in the tests you'll be informed via email within a couple of weeks if you've nailed the MMI and are being offered a Manager's interview.

Similarly, just over a week after that you'll get the yay or nay email.
Good luck!!

That's great cheers.

Just trying to work out the time scales and processes expected.

So are you driving now then?

TheVicLine

That's great cheers.

Just trying to work out the time scales and processes expected.

So are you driving now then?

With me it was six months from applying to the start of training, then 12 months from the start of training to fully passed out.

Although the interview process did not include a telephone interview or online assessments when I applied so it may even be slightly longer now.

ant2000

With me it was six months from applying to the start of training, then 12 months from the start of training to fully passed out.

Although the interview process did not include a telephone interview or online assessments when I applied so it may even be slightly longer now.

Thanks for the updates

danchoochoo

I wonder how many available positions they have per station. They are meant to be the best payers with plenty of opportunity to progress.

Mattm123

I got email today telling me that I am going to be kept on hold and they will be taking on more trainees soon but they don't know when that will be, but when they do I will be invited for assessment. Anyone else get this?

AndyB19

Me too mate. I took the plunge and emailed them, they said they could see I'd passed both assessments but were waiting for further interview dates from the HR Manager. Then another email from HR telling me the same as you, they said they had been overwhelmed with applications, therefore were giving priority to candidates who had a higher mark on the SJT and VCT.

I guess all is not lost! :)

Riks1186

I have not heard anything yet. Had my phone interview nearly 2 weeks ago :|

Which trainee position did you guys apply for? Mine is Manchester picc.

iWanabee

I've not heard anything from them and also had my telephone interview two weeks ago. Confused as to what is going on there. Ha.

JohnC

Got the same email saying I wasn't among the top scorers so would be invited at a later unknown date. I would stay positive if you've had a phone interview because I got this email after the tests stage and haven't had an interview.

AndyB19

Here's the full process copied from the original vacancy:

About you

You’re used to having a high level of responsibility and you think calmly and logically when dealing with unexpected situations. You enjoy working in structured environment to agreed rules and procedures. There’s a lot to learn so you’ll need to be naturally skilled in learning and retaining new information.

You work well in a professional business environment and find it easy to build good working relationships with managers and colleagues. You’re used to working to differing shift patterns and are comfortable working some early morning and late finishes. First TransPennine Express is committed to our customers so your skills in customer service are important to us too. You take your job seriously and are consistently punctually, smart and reliable.

Our next training course will start at the end of January 2015 so you must be able to join us then.

Selection process

If you’ve applied for this job before you’ll notice this time it’s a little different. To ensure that we find the best people for the job the application and selection process will include successful completion of all of the following:

Your application

Online pre-screen questions and online application form;

Situational judgement test (an online assessment);

A verify checking test (an online assessment);

Trainee Train Driver telephone interview

Your assessments

Trainee Driver Psychometric Assessments - Stage 1

Trainee Driver Psychometric Assessments - Stage 2

Your interview

Trainee Driver interview with members of the Driver Management team

Your medical

The medical will measure your fitness levels, eyesight, colour vision and hearing to ensure they meet the requirements of driving a train, it also includes a prohibited drug and alcohol screening.

So if you've had the telephone interview, you'll then enter shortlisting for the assessments. Good luck.

387star

On Moderation
I had my telephone interview internally for FGW

Seemed very straight forward one customer service competency based question the rest about motivation and the role

Think I did alright will find out soon though

Perhaps more questions are asked externals

Can someone confirm it is possible to fail the online assessments and a telephone interview is not automatic as one post suggested?

Last edited:

Hprice1099

Yay email today saying I've passed the phone interview, need to wait for the assessment date now :)

BKHH

Got the email today to say I'd passed the telephone interview.. Just waiting on booking the test! Anyone else heard back?

graeme.h

I've also received an email confirming I passed the telephone interview, congrats to everyone who has had the same!

Riks1186

Hi guys,

I have got threw to the assessment stage as well. Good luck to you all.

graeme.h

Had my email this afternoon inviting me for the first assessment, bit of a mission to York but ah well ha ha. Whoever else is going on the Thursday afternoon, see you there!

viv65

So blooming angry with myself today :(
I applied for this on the day it was advertised. I was lucky enough to get in before the vacancy was taken down. I did the online application form.. then a 'customer focused' test... all good... and I was emailed a 'memory' test to do. I thought that would be it, and I would be unsuccessful. Then, today, I received an email asking me to do a telephone interview. And then, a missed call and a voicemail to phone back regarding an interview tomorrow night, as someone had declined an interview. So... foolishly, I thought I would do a bit of research etc before I phoned them back (minimal confidence) Turns out, I missed that slot... and the lady on the phone said to check my emails for another interview slot? And an hour later, I got an email
to say that I had been unsuccessful with the online tests... as people had scored higher?? Now , I'm confused and sooooo pee'd off with myself for not phoning straight back... but I was at work and couldn't answer :"(
Female... pushing 50 and clocks ticking. Don't want to give up... but could slap myself right now x

Gareth. c

Hello, Well done and good luck to everyone that got through! I have my first assessment on Wednesday afternoon and just wondered if you go formal (suited and booted) or just smart/casual? Many thanks.

lvaxb24

Suit and tie at all stages. You're are being assessed at all times this is not limited to the content of your tests.

Mattm123

I got email today asking me to book in quick for a telephone interview and the assessments will be wed, thurs it fri if successful with the telephone interview. I'm guessing some people were not able to make the assessments as last week I received an email saying other people has scored more highly in the online tests. Either that or was an error.

I've read that the telephone interview on here is based on customer service. Anything else that you may be asked? Thanks guys and gals

danchoochoo

They must have a fair amount of vacancys to fill if they are inviting more applicants for assessments.

viv65

Received another email yesterday asking me to book an interview slot. Interview on Monday :|

Status
Not open for further replies.