• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Theyve had an age to sort this out, but with no one at the helm of GTR taking any lead (or basically not caring), and My Grayling himself not interested in running a railway, it seems no alterations to the spec have been done.

What say would GTR have had on interior layout? As a management contract, wouldn't the DfT have said the interior spec should remain the same (less toilets and first class)? Who would have paid? GTR? DfT? The ROSCO?

As with carnets not going onto a smartcard, it's not a DfT requirement so it just doesn't happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The best sort of layout for the 717s would be something similar to the S8s on the Metropolitan Line.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And no first class - which may be missed by one or two on here who wax lyrical about the 700 interior and how people should embrace it, yet themselves make a bee-line for declassified first!

And 6 carriages instead of 8 or 12.

physics34

Established Member
What say would GTR have had on interior layout? As a management contract, wouldn't the DfT have said the interior spec should remain the same (less toilets and first class)? Who would have paid? GTR? DfT? The ROSCO?

As with carnets not going onto a smartcard, it's not a DfT requirement so it just doesn't happen.

they could have a made a "request" based on any "research" that they had done. If alterations were made before they were built there wouldnt have been any additional cost, barring an inch of extra seat cushioning/foam per seat.

jon0844

Veteran Member
they could have a made a "request" based on any "research" that they had done. If alterations were made before they were built there wouldnt have been any additional cost, barring an inch of extra seat cushioning/foam per seat.

Maybe they did and the DfT said no. Which is quite likely as I doubt GTR or any TOC would want to have negative publicity if there's little to no cost. Good PR is essential to operators.

physics34

Established Member
Maybe they did and the DfT said no. Which is quite likely as I doubt GTR or any TOC would want to have negative publicity if there's little to no cost. Good PR is essential to operators.
i believe they did with the 700s and the DfT just ignored them

jon0844

Veteran Member
If Corbyn gets in and nationalises, I'm sure we'll all get comfy sofas in standard class. First class won't exist.

That's not to say Jeremy won't still sit on the floor of course. ;)

Aictos

Established Member
If Corbyn gets in and nationalises, I'm sure we'll all get comfy sofas in standard class. First class won't exist.

That's not to say Jeremy won't still sit on the floor of course. ;)

You're forgetting it will be compartment stock and loco hauled too!

samuelmorris

Established Member
I think that's to comply with current PRM standards isn't it? two separate tones must be used, within a specific frequency band, and for a minimum duration. Presumably the 700s were designed so long ago now that they didn't need to meet the latest spec.

physics34

Established Member
I think that's to comply with current PRM standards isn't it? two separate tones must be used, within a specific frequency band, and for a minimum duration. Presumably the 700s were designed so long ago now that they didn't need to meet the latest spec.
From what i remember they go on for longer than the minimum requirement and they are louder

TFN

That's how they sound on the 800!

It's too loud! I hear the 800s at Paddington three platforms away from where I'm stationed at. Mind you this is the same station with ear blasting HSTs and Turbos.

The 717s door chime doesn't sound as loud as the 800 but it could be just the consequence of it in video format.

Bikeman78

Established Member
From what i remember they go on for longer than the minimum requirement and they are louder
The door release tone on the S stock is perfectly audible yet unobtrusive. Why can't National Rail trains be the same?

Ethano92

The door release tone on the S stock is perfectly audible yet unobtrusive. Why can't National Rail trains be the same?

Agreed, if it's such an important regulation to the point they have to be stupidly loud at times like on the 800s then why should southeastern's Electrostars (for example) be able to operate with barely audibe door open and close tones. if the regulation was so important then surely the tones would've been changed with the refurbishment they recently had. We arent asking for silence, but we don't need something excessively loud.

In this case on the 717s I hope it wasn't just the video and the doors are actually at an adequate volume

Arkady

Just seen 717007 at Finsbury Park heading north. Saw one around the same time last night too. Looking forward to seeing the back of the old rustbuckets currently on the line, though I suppose they've proven to be value for money. If I understood the post upthread correctly they're already in service off-peak? Anyone caught one yet?

physics34

Established Member
No testing probably on passengers. Theyve just picked a product that is well within the regs without consideration. I guess they are not getting many complaints

samuelmorris

Established Member
From PRM-TSI regulations:
This alert signal shall sound for a minimum of five seconds unless the door is operated, in which case it may cease after 3 seconds.

Both 700s and 345s adhere to the absolute minimum of this - 3 seconds where the door is opened (3 at 1s intervals in the case of the 700, 6 at 0.5s intervals in the case of the 345) and 5 seconds where it isn't (5 and 10 respectively).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think LU arranged a derogation against the latest standards which should have applied to 2009 and S stock when new. Something about reducing the period the door closing alarm had to operate for, they reckoned a longer period led to more people being caught in the doors...

samuelmorris

Established Member
Sounds plausible as current regs also require the sound to continue as the door closes, which not all LU stock does. Straying off topic now, but I wonder if the first NTfL units will be designed to RVAR or PRM-TSI standards...

Status
Not open for further replies.