• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good food near stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Informer

Ruabon, Wrexham, North Wales
Bridge End Inn,(RA) just at end of station forecourt drive. CAMRA's pub of the year and home of Mcgiverns Ales.
The cafe on Wrexham General is also a good place for a good greasing beforehand!!!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Edinburgh

The Playfair (spoons) in the Omni Centre, down York Place - real ales and quick food

Established Member
Pizza Co... 5 mins walk from Manc Oxford Road, past the BBC, opposite the park.

£3 pizzas - been goin there over 18yrs, got the stunning (!) figure to prove it.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Maybe this thread should be made sticky as a guide for people looking for food when at stations. I think that everyone has posted has made a fair effort and contribution, and the OP has made a fair effort in compiling that large list in the opening post. Thing is, this thread will eventually die out and become hidden in page 3,4,5 of general discussion then get lost and forgotten. Of course I will suggest this to the MOD's.
Also I would like to say thanks to the OP by posting that helpful list :D

VTPreston_Tez

Glasgow Central - head to St Enoch to find a Pizza Hut, Chopstix (get a small meal or prepare to throw food away), McDonalds, Poundland, and KFC all which do quality cheap food and drink.
Weymouth - Outside the station there's a nice pub which changes name a fair bit (RA) and a few good chippies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Are we including McDonalds etc in this? I personally don't think we should, as TBH a lot of it is worse than what Upper Crust serve you (and is in the same category as them IMO) - isn't this more about decent local cafes and pubs? Further, the Poundland nearest Glasgow Central is on the road that the eastern exit joins, about a minute's walk - somewhat closer than St Enoch ;)

route101

Established Member
Glasgow Central - head to St Enoch to find a Pizza Hut, Chopstix (get a small meal or prepare to throw food away), McDonalds, Poundland, and KFC all which do quality cheap food and drink.
Weymouth - Outside the station there's a nice pub which changes name a fair bit (RA) and a few good chippies.

Chopstix , the pizza there looks dodgy ! Was it any good? UK lacks good Asian food places iin the shoppong centres IMO.

Requeststop

St. Ives, Cornwall

The Porthminster Beach Cafe. Ok it's expensive but well worth it. Seafood from the bay right in front of you, Great views of the beach and the harbour, and you are just below the line and the station. (maximum 75 yards) Fish and chips to die for at lunchtime if you cannot stay for the evening. You may have to book in advance in the evenings and if the weather is good the outside balcony is the place to sit. A good chance of a table on spec if you turn up at 5:30-6:00pm. Great for an evening meal before you get the train to St. Erth and the sleeper to London.

Lelant

The Badger. My home pub when I'm home and not travelling the world. Don't forget to ask the train to stop at the request stop and when you walk out the station gates, keep going up the hill about 200 yards and the pub is on your left. Good food, local drinks, and a good place for the kids (in summer). The journey back to the station is easier as it's down hill all the way. remember to stop when you get to the platform edge. It does B&B too, if you can't face St.Ives narrow streets.

Lelant Saltings

The Old Quay House. Traditionalistic pub with decent grub, 200 yards or so back down the line from the Saltings towards St. Erth. Better when the tide is in unless you are a "twitcher". RSPB sanctuary between the pub and the Saltings Station.

St.Erth

Very nice "award winning" private cafe on the station premises.

Carbis Bay

Nothing good close to the station, unless you want to try the Cornish Arms on the main road into St Ives about 1000 yards away from the station as the crow flies.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member

I think there's quite a lot of people would disagree with that (especially KFC and I wouldn't really look at Poundland for a meal) - which is of course one of the problems with a thread like this - that although people are trying to be very helpful, tastes vary.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
If your really hungry there is a Chinese all you can eat opposite Liverpool lime street, price is ok for an all you can eat.

Crewe-turn left out of the main exit and there is a pukka pies sign and that chippy is decent

Derby-opposite the main exit, if you're looking for a bite there is carolines snackery which do some ok bites. Last time I went I paid £3 for a full English brekky in a bap.

Doubt it but if anyone happens to end up in the lovely sunny ellesmere port down chester Road towards the shopping centre there is a cafe called "express cafe" run by a lovely Greek couple and it is exceptionally cheap for excellent grub

And of course if your at capenhurst there's always my place ;)

Condor7

Appleby In Westmorland.
The Royal Oak pub, (about 10mins walk though) on the edge of the town going towards the A66.

Nice surroundings with good food, the meat being from the local butcher Eubanks, who only uses his own meat from their own animals, so very local and melt in the mouth.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Huddersfield - the station buffet on p4 is excellent, with a very good offer of a hot drink plus cake / biscuit for £1.80.

martinsh

Established Member
Harvey's in Crewe - 5 mins from station - do great breakfast sandwiches, can't speak highly enough of them. There's also a chip shop on the station side of it, I think it was OK but I haven't been in a while.

That chip shop is OK, but avoid the nearest ones on opposite side of road (across the The Royal pub). Best chip shop is opposite Crewe Alex ground (but not open on Saturday evenings !)

But best of all is Giovannis Pizzeria - you pass in on your right before you get to Harveys. [ I've been going there for 30 years and not had a bad meal yet ]

Galvanize

Croydon:
As well as "The George" Wetherspoons on George Street, there is quite a good Chinese restaurant literally opposite, "Oriental Express", which does a reletively cheap (£5 or £6) all you can eat buffet. Pretty good value for money, with a varied range of dishes, plenty to keep vegetarians happy as well. It does get quite busy, especially around lunchtime.

12CSVT

Established Member
Shipley : McNic's Fish & Chip shop. On the corner of Otley Road (A6038) and Dale Street, about 150 yds from Shipley station. (Leave by platform 1 exit, turn left outside station, left onto Otley Road and it is about 100 yds further up on the right).

You can eat in for the same price as taking out and fish, chips, mushy peas, bread & butter and cup of tea came to £ 5.50.

Roverman

Apologies if this has been mentioned before

Glasgow less than 5 mins walk from Central, Queen St 1 min from St Enoch's tube station.

Sloane's, I found this place quite by accident yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed my meal. http://www.sloansglasgow.com/

D2022

If your ever in Swindon might I suggest Gaetano's in Old Town, on Victoria Hill. It's a little Italian place, family run and serves amazing, and I truly mean that, Italian and Sicilian food. The place itself is beautiful inside although unassuming from the outside, cheap as chips too, all home cooked to family traditionsfrom what the reviews say. My girlfriend and I regularly go there and never have been disappointed thus far.

Bath Spa, the Royal Hotel, great food although a little pricey.

Trowbridge, The Rose and Crown.

Westbury, A Tale Of Spice Two, up in the town, it's an Indian and the staff are fantastic, great food and real ale available at request I believe, but not sure.

Galvanize

Croydon:
As well as "The George" Wetherspoons on George Street, there is quite a good Chinese restaurant literally opposite, "Oriental Express", which does a reletively cheap (£5 or £6) all you can eat buffet. Pretty good value for money, with a varied range of dishes, plenty to keep vegetarians happy as well. It does get quite busy, especially around lunchtime.

Sorry to bump the thread, but as of a recent visit to Croydon in April 2013, Oriental Express seems to of closed down! Theres another Chinese buffet almost opposite on George Street called "Stirfry" which does a similarly cheap all you can eat buffet.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I can't believe you missed these out:

London Bridge: George Inn, London's only remaining galleried coaching inn, and the only one left of what used to be several such inns in the locality, including one made famous by Chaucer.

King's Cross: The Parcel Yard. Have some food and a pint and sit and watch the trains.

Others:

Temple: The Edgar Wallace and the Devereux, Essex Street/Devereux Court.

Thames Ditton: Marneys Village Inn. I don't know if this one counts as it's about a ten minute walk, but it's a great little villagey pub. There's another one that's supposed to be good about ten minutes in the other direction, Ye Olde Swan, but I haven't tried that one yet. I stop off here when I'm visiting Hampton Court Palace.

All serve Real Ale (in the case of The Edgar Wallace 8!).

Status
Not open for further replies.