• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Govia get Thameslink Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've found another reason to pick on ex-FCC/Govia/Thameslink

Seven of the top ten worst stations for mobile connectivity in and around London are between St Albans and St Pancras. (I do wonder if it was bad further up the line too, but they simply didn't test that far!)

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1941168#post1941168

Hmm, the company bang on about it being the biggest ever survey, but they've only looked at 10 routes in to London, not including the ECML or GWML.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Saw a 317 with GN stickers on it today (Hatfield about 1700) and it looks pretty bad on top of a purple/patterned backdrop.

Abpj17

Hope your actually joking or this is a very stupid post indeed.

Assume there was a little bit of tongue in cheek :)

Deerfold - I think they've just gone for the slightly more local commuter routes rather than the longer distance routes that commuters happen to pile onto as well

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Deerfold - I think they've just gone for the slightly more local commuter routes rather than the longer distance routes that commuters happen to pile onto as well

I don't see the difference between picking the commuter section from Bedford to London rather than Huntingdon - London or Milton Keynes to London but not Reading to London. All these lines go much further out but have substantial local flows.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It should look good on a white (or the light blue) background, but on the old FCC colours - urgh!

This is what it looks like on a 319
(picture (c) Mark Bowerbank, used with permission)

15551190835_3ef54b7066.jpg

jon0844

Veteran Member
Given the way the logo disappears, does anyone think it would have made more sense to either outline the logo - or simply put only the Thameslink writing on?

Suffice to say it looks more or less the same on the GN trains.

Tom C

Stabling locations off the tip of my head include Bedford Carriage Sidings, Jowetts, Cauldwell (maybe), Cricklewood, Peterborough Nene, Cambridge, Hornsey, Brighton Down Yard, Selhurst, Horsham, Three Bridges, Caterham, Tattenham Corner, Bellingham, Sevenoaks.

Orpington, Victoria are places to be cleared and I think Littlehampton will see some berthing.

Letchworth may very well see them as well.

Last edited:

petersi

Their customer information is definite two steps
back fron FCC. Claimed good service tonight on Welwyn route when 2 consecutive trains cancelled.

On train up person sat next to me surprise that train stopped at Finsbury Park as driver at welwyn garden city had advised passengers to change there for Finsbury park.

stut

Established Member
Yes, have also noted a number of short formations recently that have been unreported - something that always appeared, along with a declassification notice, on the later version of the FCC website.

Saint66

I was always supportive of FCC, and felt that especially towards the end, that they did a pretty good job.

I had my first experience of the new Franchise on Friday evening, heading back to St Albans. The train I was due to get at St Pancras was delayed by 10 minutes, not a major delay, but there was no announcement of the delay, and there was no explanation given for my train being late, or why other services, in both directions, were also suffering some delay.

FCC, despite their pitfalls, always gave out information and explanation for delays in my experience, so this was a bit annoying.

Of course, GoVia need to be given time to settle in.

jon0844

Veteran Member
They shouldn't really though. They should have carried on as is, business as usual, allowing staff to do what they had got good at - then worked on introducing changes, tweaking things etc.

Or dare I say it, but perhaps the outgoing management wasn't as useless as is always assumed (that managers are clueless)?

Saint66

They shouldn't really though. They should have carried on as is, business as usual, allowing staff to do what they had got good at - then worked on introducing changes, tweaking things etc.

Or dare I say it, but perhaps the outgoing management wasn't as useless as is always assumed (that managers are clueless)?

I know, I know, I just felt kind of bad for moaning, and didn't want to look like the type which bashes all TOC's. :lol:

MCR247

Established Member
Given the way the logo disappears, does anyone think it would have made more sense to either outline the logo - or simply put only the Thameslink writing on?

Suffice to say it looks more or less the same on the GN trains.

Surely they would've thought about what the logo looks like on FCC pink?! It not like its a surprise what colour the units currently are?! (Well by the looks of it it might have been...)

Skimble19

Established Member
I must admit the new website is certainly a massive step back from the final FCC website.. It comes across as being designed by a 13 year old for a 5 year old to use, has a distinct lack of any information about train running (not that we really get much info anymore anyway!) and is generally poor to use on most devices..

Shame really, the FCC website had only just had a (very!) large amount of money spent on updating it to be how it was at the end.

Class377/5

Established Member

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
My car is in for some work so Thameslink have a week to persuade me to switch back to rail for commutiing.
Day One : outward journey ok -even got a seat!
return - 16:02 ex West Hampstead all stations to St Albans cancelled (no crew available)
following train 16:20 formed of four cars.
Not a great start.

DelayRepay

Established Member
My car is in for some work so Thameslink have a week to persuade me to switch back to rail for commutiing.
Day One : outward journey ok -even got a seat!

You were lucky - you obviously missed the couple of cancellations due to lack of train queue, delays caused by signal problems at Kentish Town and the trespass incident at Radlett at lunchtime.

My journey in was ok this morning but there were huge queues for tickets at St Albans. My train home left London on time, I got a seat, but by St Albans we were 9 minutes down. The cause of this delay was not explained, nor was an apology offered.

Saint66

I was due to catch the 11:02 this morning from St Albans, but due to the trespassing, it was cancelled and I jumped on a delayed service.

They seemed to deal with the recovery from the trespass okay, and St Albans was actually relatively quiet by the time I got there, however there was a lot of delayed and a few cancelled services.

Status
Not open for further replies.