• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave_wm

Was having a look at part of the NRT (Table 81 in fact), and it seems GC have branched out somewhat, with the introduction of the following train:
Holyhead 1750
Bangor 1820
Llandudno Junction 1838
Colwyn Bay 1846
Rhyl 1857
Flint 1915
Chester 1933 1941
Cardiff Central 2243

There is no return service, and as far as I can see, this train doesn't even exist as an ATW service. What's going on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir_Clagalot

BREAKING NEWS: Deltic 22 drafted in for the mornings Sunderland-Kings Cross...:D<D

Attachments

• Deltic_22.jpg
    Deltic_22.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 41

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
GC are selling tickets at only £12.50 York-King's Cross (£15 from Sunderland) off peak (£19.50 / £22 peak) on their Mobitix site.

http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/GC/

Currently for sale until 4 May, I do not know if it will be extended beyond that.

The terms state that they are advance tickets and non-refundable bla bla bla.

It's always worth keeing an eye on the Mobitix site as occasionally there are good deals, although sometimes the tickets can be more expensive (e.g. a few months ago it was charging the peak price on Saturdays!) but it's always worth checking it out.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
well they probably accellerate well too cause of the traction motors in every coach...
Do they have traction motors? I thought they were hydraulic?

Sir_Clagalot

The 180s have hydraulic transmissions... hence why they are numbered in the 1xx series, DEMUs are numbered in the 2xx series...

paul1609

Established Member
A hydraulic transmission system does rely on hydraulic motors so if they are are used for traction technically yes.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
There was 2 GC powercars and a mk3 in Edinburgh on tuesday, just down the line from Craigentinny, but does anyone know what they were actually there for?

Again...Thats got to be the 4th time Grand Central has rengined there a power cars in less than a year... They really are knackering already knackerd engines or what...

Last edited:

BOSCH

Again...Thats got to be the 4th time Grand Central has rengined there a power cars in less than a year... They really are knackering already knackerd engines or what...

Errmm,dont think its the 4th,068 has had 2 IIRC,065 had new wheelsets and 067 an alternator rewind ! ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
GC's cheap fares have been 'fixed' and are now back up to full fare - hope you all booked while they were cheap!!!

It appears that the person who uploads the fares accidentally uploaded the promotional fares as a promotion is going to be launched on Wednesday allowing travel for £12.50 each way standard / £19.00 each way first class.

I will post details here when I get it.

So anyone wanting advance fares for the ECML from 5th May is advised to hold off booking on NXEC for now, as you may get a good deal on GC!

fgwrich

Established Member
GC's cheap fares have been 'fixed' and are now back up to full fare - hope you all booked while they were cheap!!!

It appears that the person who uploads the fares accidentally uploaded the promotional fares as a promotion is going to be launched on Wednesday allowing travel for £12.50 each way standard / £19.00 each way first class.

I will post details here when I get it.

So anyone wanting advance fares for the ECML from 5th May is advised to hold off booking on NXEC for now, as you may get a good deal on GC!

Unfortuantly no good for me... as although im planning to either go to Edinburgh or Newquay in may... GC of course dont go up to Edinburgh... so its back to Nat Ex :|unfortuantly...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hmm, good excuse for me to head that way again and get my Valenta fix...<D

Will be anxiously awaiting the link and hopefully booking something on Friday when I get paid :D

martyn29

I will be going again!!!!!!!!
I hear that FGW has one of Grand Centrals power cars on hire

BOSCH

Are 065 and 068 still at Craigentinny?
If so, does anyone know when they'll be heading back down south?

43068 is back at heaton after tyre turning,43065 returned to craigy yesterday,it left heaton around 1630ish(I was on 5A63 sitting on receptions and saw it leave)at the arse end of 2 barrier vehicles headed by Advenza duff 47237.It should have been done last week but craigy staff are on a work to rule apparently so it came back with 068.The replacement Valenta is in place to be dropped in and if all things go to plan,43065 should be home friday evening !! :D;)
I hear that FGW has one of Grand Centrals power cars on hire

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Why on earth would we hire out a power car to someone else when they are desparately needed with us,43068 has just returned from craigy,065 is there as I type,084/123 & 080/067 are in service,thats all 6 matey !!! Someone is pullin your ****er son !!!!! <(;)

martyn29

43068 is back at heaton after tyre turning,43065 returned to craigy yesterday,it left heaton around 1630ish(I was on 5A63 sitting on receptions and saw it leave)at the arse end of 2 barrier vehicles headed by Advenza duff 47237.It should have been done last week but craigy staff are on a work to rule apparently so it came back with 068.The replacement Valenta is in place to be dropped in and if all things go to plan,43065 should be home friday evening !! :D;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Why on earth would we hire out a power car to someone else when they are desparately needed with us,43068 has just returned from craigy,065 is there as I type,084/123 & 080/067 are in service,thats all 6 matey !!! Someone is pullin your ****er son !!!!! <(;)

I knew they wouldnt mate!:lol:

robertclark125

Established Member
Don't think the 180s will be getting used on Bradford to London services. The DfT has vetoed that idea, and capped the GC and Hull trains licences from 2015 until 2012, when they'll be reviewed.

Don't think the 180s will be getting used on Bradford to London services. The DfT has vetoed that idea, and capped the GC and Hull trains licences from 2015 until 2012, when they'll be reviewed.

So Grand Northern trains has been rejected by the DfT even though the ORR approved it?
What about GCs extra path?

Status
Not open for further replies.