Great Western Electrification Progress

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by 76020, 6 May 2013.

1. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Not planning to travel myself, but just wondering if Waterloo - Salisbury - Bristol would be a viable alternative to access Bristol and South Wales while the blockade is in place?

2. jimm

jimm Established Member

Was my reply directed to "those who don't"?

I'm well aware it will muck up lots of people's weekend plans.

But I was responding to a specific post on this forum, by someone who appears to "follow all things rail-related" and repeated a link about what's happening this weekend that had been posted all of one page back up this thread, last Thursday afternoon...

Is it so hard to scan the previous page or two to see if a question has already been answered, or look on the relevant TOC's website?

3. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

I think so, in that a change at Salisbury would be required to access Bristol, a change at Bristol to reach Cheltenham/Gloucester, then ATW/XC to Newport/Cardiff from there.
    I myself am heading from Brum to Wilts (Tisbury) on Saturday for a STP family social; in planning my route, I discovered that the Cardiff-Pompeys are terminating at Bristol Parkway on both days, and that bus services will be running from Parkway to Severn Tunnel Junction & Newport.

EDIT: GWR have changed a few of the planned closures up for the next period of work (beginning on the 14th); the latest publication is attached here.

Attached Files:

4. MikeWM

MikeWM Member

Well, this destroys my plans for Saturday, which is/was the last day of a 3-day Thames Rover I'm starting tomorrow, and bought last week when none of this had been announced. :(

I suppose at least I don't really have to be anywhere specific, so I'm in a far better place than most of the people who will have part of their weekend unexpectedly ruined, but it is still rather irritating.

Abysmally late notice though, and trying to cover that up by calling it an 'emergency' irritates even further.

5. 3973EXL

3973EXL Member

Visited Twyford and Ruscombe to view any progress with associated works!

Ongoing work on platform extensions.
    Station painting in progress from blue to green.
    Twyford bridge parapets were completed, and then temporary fencing re-appeared on the south side.
    Southbury Lane bridge works still to get underway.
    Link to planning docs if interested:
    http://planning.wokingham.gov.uk/FastWebPL/Documents/DocList.asp?AltRef=171066

DSC00216.JPG DSC00217.JPG DSC00218.JPG DSC00219.JPG DSC00220.JPG DSC00221.JPG

6. snowball

snowball Established Member

Press release

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...sation-of-the-south-wales-mainline-continues/

7. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

WalesOnline have reported the cause as follows:

8. snowball

snowball Established Member

Is the OLE between Paddington and Maidenhead now all suitable for running at the speeds at which HSTs typically run there, or will the 800s have to run at lower speed on part of this section next week because of the current state of the OLE?

9. DidcotDickie

DidcotDickie Member

Normal HST speeds according to a GWR insider involved with IET introduction posting elsewhere. Apparently westbound IETs running on AC reach 100mph by Acton and 125mph just after Hanwell (compared to HSTs which reach 125mph by Hayes). This is on the original BR OLE, which has been beefed up quite a bit over recent months.

10. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

I assume the IETs have had the original diagrams adjusted to make use of their improved acceleration?

11. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

Was the weekend blockade a success?

12. DidcotDickie

DidcotDickie Member

Nope. They're all running to HST timings.

The first down service this morning 1C03 ran on AC to Maidenhead and was 4 minutes early by Slough:
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C20071/2017/10/16/advanced

Fared somewhat better than the up working!

13. jyte

jyte Member

Was the up working the one with the free onboard shower? :D

Did the 800 down run on AC around Didcot or is that information not available?

14. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

Only AC from Pad to Maidenhead yet. You can find far more info on the other two forums (timetables and rolling stock).

15. jimm

jimm Established Member

All running west of Maidenhead is on diesel power. This won't change until the end of this year.

16. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN Member

Sorry, what’s this about a shower?

17. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

One of the units developed an air con problem, and it began dripping into the passenger compartment.

[​IMG]

18. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN Member

19. D6975

D6975 Established Member

There's a couple of through services from Waterloo to Bristol on a Sat. 09:20 off W'loo is the early one 12:20 is the next one. The evening one used to be a through service but is currently showing as a seperate service.

20. jimm

jimm Established Member