• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia are recruiting Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

david_VI

Thursday? Wow they are doing a lot of assessment days?

I've got the book but i've not really used it for the GBT, I've been using the PC version from Digital Reality so I can't really help there.

Does anyone know roughly how long the day will last if you get through all stages? Is there an interview on the day if you get through or is it at a later date?

David

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bezzer

Thursday? Wow they are doing a lot of assessment days?

I've got the book but i've not really used it for the GBT, I've been using the PC version from Digital Reality so I can't really help there.

Does anyone know roughly how long the day will last if you get through all stages? Is there an interview on the day if you get through or is it at a later date?

David
Hi David,

Expect to be at the acadmey for assessment until at least 1 / 2 o'clock in the afternoon. There is quite a bit of waiting about. Even longer if the machines are playing up. Structured interviews are on another day and usually the driver manager interviews on another day after that. All at the Academy. Have fun!! So far I have seen 3 assessment days with about 10 people on each. I know on 1 day 3 people got through, but many are being sent home.

david_VI

Ah great :) Thanks for the reply!

I had wondered because I attended an assesement day for station staff last year and was there till late in the afternoon with there also being structured interviews :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
hi all, got my Assessment on thursday, just wanted to know if antone else used the how 2 become a train driver thing and found the answers on the group bourdon wrong or was it just me. done one about 5 times and awlays got 56 but correct answer was 53, cant be wrong everytime, just that its knocking my confidence, wanted to know if someone else found that.

How did it go? :)

jthorne82

Got through but have to go back and do the reaction test because there were no computers.

Ellieharris04

Hello Im Chantelle, just joined as i passed the assessments last thursday (3rd May) So pleased with myself, now just waiting on a letter to say when my structured interview is :D Well done everyone who has passed lately too :)

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Hello Im Chantelle, just joined as i passed the assessments last thursday (3rd May) So pleased with myself, now just waiting on a letter to say when my structured interview is :D Well done everyone who has passed lately too :)

Well done :) did you find out there and then that you'd passed?

Ellieharris04

Well done :) did you find out there and then that you'd passed?

Thank you :) yes i did, once i'd done the last test which was the reaction test on the pc, i got told 5 mins later, i was first to go in to do the test so didnt have to wait around. The waiting around to hear your results throughout the day was the worst! :lol:

Ellieharris04

Well done,

Did you have fault finding tests? How did you find them?

thanks :) Yeah had the fault finding test and in my opinion i found the test they set alot easier than the practice on they send to you beforehand. The test i was most nervous about was the reaction one which they left till the end but it wasnt as bad as people said.

david_VI

Congrats all so far!

Lots of people getting through the tests! Unless it's just the ones passing post here :p Wonder how many days of interviews there will have to be?

WCMLaddict

I've heard today that they received surprisingly high proportion of applications from female candidates for trainee driver roles. And HR are rather busy with more roadshows at the moment.

Ellieharris04

Got my letter today, my structured interview is Thursday next week :D so pleased!!!

EDIT: I need some advice guys, I'm due to work Thursday 06:30-13:15 and my interview is at 13:00, my manager is trying to make me work beforehand and go after...I thought they HAD to release me?

Last edited:

MR_P

Got my letter today, my structured interview is Thursday next week :D so pleased!!!

EDIT: I need some advice guys, I'm due to work Thursday 06:30-13:15 and my interview is at 13:00, my manager is trying to make me work beforehand and go after...I thought they HAD to release me?

Assume from that post that you already work for Greater Anglia? If thats the case perhaps you should give personnel a call to clarify the rules/Situation

Hope you get it sorted.

Ellieharris04

Assume from that post that you already work for Greater Anglia? If thats the case perhaps you should give personnel a call to clarify the rules/Situation

Hope you get it sorted.

I do yeah sorry lol, been trying to contact people all day but no one can give me a 100% answer, but I'll keep digging, cheers :D

Gareth43

I do yeah sorry lol, been trying to contact people all day but no one can give me a 100% answer, but I'll keep digging, cheers :D

In my experience trying to get information out of HR departments is like trying to get blood out of a stone:lol:,
On another note if GA are having interviews next week does that mean that they are no longer sending out invitations for assessments?
No one seems to have had a rejection email or letter as of yet, or are they awaiting to see who fails the interviews.

Botswana

I also have a structured interview for next Thurs at 1pm. See you there Ellie, as well as others perhaps.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Ask your roster clerk if they're aware of your interview. As mentioned, as it's an internal position, I can't see why they wouldn't release you.

I'm having to take a day's leave for Monday. Not due to book on until 18:10, but can't chance not being back in time.

Ellieharris04

Ask your roster clerk if they're aware of your interview. As mentioned, as it's an internal position, I can't see why they wouldn't release you.

I'm having to take a day's leave for Monday. Not due to book on until 18:10, but can't chance not being back in time.

My roster clerk is saying yes but managers saying no, but ive asked around and my colleagues will cover me so i dont see the problem. Just spoke to my rep and he thinks i should be released so looks like ill be going above my manager :o:| but if not successfull ill have to take annual leave.

Thanks for everyones advice :)

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
My roster clerk is saying yes but managers saying no, but ive asked around and my colleagues will cover me so i dont see the problem. Just spoke to my rep and he thinks i should be released so looks like ill be going above my manager :o:| but if not successfull ill have to take annual leave.

Thanks for everyones advice :)

Matter of interest, what grade are you at the moment?

david_VI

Could anyone give me a clue on how much of the actual mechanical comphrension test involves maths?

On the practice paper the first two involve working out the volume of a pool, but from then on the rest were common sense for me.

Cheers!

Ellieharris04

Could anyone give me a clue on how much of the actual mechanical comphrension test involves maths?

On the practice paper the first two involve working out the volume of a pool, but from then on the rest were common sense for me.

Cheers!

When i did it last week i didnt even get the mechanical comp test and thats what i was really good on lol was typical :lol:

david_VI

When i did it last week i didnt even get the mechanical comp test and thats what i was really good on lol was typical :lol:

How odd, they send the example ones and its something i'm really good at (except the odd maths bit). Is this the same for everyone? I had heard a lot of TOC's don't do it anymore but they did send the practice test!

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
How odd, they send the example ones and its something i'm really good at (except the odd maths bit). Is this the same for everyone? I had heard a lot of TOC's don't do it anymore but they did send the practice test!

That's probably the one I will/would struggle on!

Just en route to London now :/

david_VI

Well that was fun. I thought the stressful tests were meant to sift down the number quite a bit.

david_VI

I assume so, apparently noone really fails the phone thing as its just to check you can speak english, although I did hesitate and say a few things wrong because I couldn't understand the voice on one or two times due to noise. I found the dots the easiest part of the day, this seems to be odd as most people struggle with that the most? I must have a sick mind as I enjoyed it, especially on paper. I was more worried about not pressing too hard! Fault finding was deffinately the most stressful for me, not being confident made the waiting afterwards the most awful part of the day.

So just waiting for the reaction test then interview I guess!

I didn't quite hear how long to expect for the letter/info on the next part though, could anyone tell me?

David

Ellieharris04

I didn't do anything on the phone when I went :/ how strange...

Oh no was the pc still broken so you couldn't do the reaction test?

I found out straight away after doing the reaction test that I'd passed but guess that's because i did all the test in that 1 day. Hope you don't have to wait long.

Status
Not open for further replies.