• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GTR 365 to storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InTheEastMids

That's what i was thinking. How can it operate between Cambridge and Birmingham if half of the lines (or shall i say most) Cross Country run on lacks Overhead wires?

Hook them up to redundant 67s and away you go <(

They can be the new 442s :lol:
(on account of the old 442s going back to doing more or less what they were designed for)

Trainfan344

Established Member
With 100mph max they'd be great on the Great Eastern out of London, but we're getting those wonderful new trains...

Failed Unit

Established Member
With 100mph max they'd be great on the Great Eastern out of London, but we're getting those wonderful new trains...
Sadly that is why they are leaving great northern. With substandard seating in their replacements and less of it, they will be missed.

Downthelane

Why aren't the surplus 365's being retained for some of the current six car semi fast 313 services? E.g the 07.20 Letchworth to KGX? That train is usually full and standing by Hatfield. Seems odd to put units in storage when GN can't meet the demand for seats. Likewise in the new timetable/work of fiction, will the six car semi fasts via 313 be retained when there is far better stock in storage?

jamieP

Why aren't the surplus 365's being retained for some of the current six car semi fast 313 services? E.g the 07.20 Letchworth to KGX? That train is usually full and standing by Hatfield. Seems odd to put units in storage when GN can't meet the demand for seats. Likewise in the new timetable/work of fiction, will the six car semi fasts via 313 be retained when there is far better stock in storage?

Well the stock going of lease is no longer part of the GTR fleet. Also the 313s on the 0720 will at some point work to and from Moorgate as part of the units diagram for the day.

Failed Unit

Established Member

Oh the 0720 demonstrates how fragile the timetable is and caused a few delay minutes.

However be careful what you wish for. From May the Welwyn- Kings Cross will be 700s only. Not 313s. Be interesting to see which passengers prefer comfortwise.

adamedwards

Given how insanely packed this train can be by New Southgate, I suspect an 8 car 700 will be very welcome. At least people will be able to get on.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, I think people not on the trains for more than 30-35 minutes are bound to be happier to get on a train than not, especially when finding a seat isn't likely today anyway.

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, I think people not on the trains for more than 30-35 minutes are bound to be happier to get on a train than not, especially when finding a seat isn't likely today anyway.

It was reasonably okay as 2x365, apart from the usual issue of more people wishing to be at the front of the train. However a couple of timetables ago it went to 2x313, which caused major problems. It was always 313s in the 1990s, but went to 8 cars perhaps when the 321s first arrived IIRC.

This is just the sort of service which *should* be benefiting from 700s - a length increase on an inner-suburban service. Unlike further out where there are few length increases, just a reduction in the number of seats and inferior comfort levels.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just found out that the 365s remaining with GTR will be getting Wi-Fi by the summer.

philjo

Established Member
I think the peak services in the new timetable starting from Baldock/Royston to Kings Cross are also booked as 2x365s.

Status
Not open for further replies.