• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Intercity Express Train (IEP) initial diagrams & allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

I13

Someone in the know can probably fill in the gaps, but as far as I can tell:

A - Standard
B - Standard
C - Standard
D - Composite
E - First

? - Standard
? - Standard
? - Standard
K - Composite
L - First

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter153

Here are the formations as listed in the Class 800 Colleague Guide:

5 Car ABCDE
A,B,C - Standard
D - Composite
E - First
wheelchair spaces E - bicycle spaces B/D

9 Car ABCFGHJKL
A,B,C,F,G,H,J - Standard
K,L - First
wheelchair spaces A/L - bicycle spaces B/F/J/K

10 Car ABCDEGHJKL
A,B,C,G,H,J - Standard
D,K - Composite
E,L - First
wheelchair spaces E/L - bicycle spaces B/D/H/K

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Interesting so a 10 car actually ends up with more first class than a 9 car! Do we have finalised seat counts for each type? The 5-car and the 9-car?

D1009

Established Member

5 Car ABCDE
A,B,C - Standard
D - Composite
E - First

9 Car ABCFGHJKL
A,B,C,F,G,H,J - Standard
K,L - First

10 Car ABCDEGHJKL
A,B,C,G,H,J - Standard
D,K - Composite
E,L - First
Yes I sort of guessed they would try to keep coaches which contain 1st accommodation with their own letter, as is the case with the HSTs.

Kieran1990

Sorry to ask a silly and probably obvious question
But what is meant by composite in coaches D K?
Can it be either 1st/ Standard? (Am I even warn?)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is standard class and first class seating in the carriage with a divider between the two. So you were pretty warm I'd say! :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Interesting so a 10 car actually ends up with more first class than a 9 car! Do we have finalised seat counts for each type? The 5-car and the 9-car?
Has it changed at all from the figures contained in the Great Western franchise spec?

If not, then a 5-car set has 36 first and 290 standard class seats, and a 9-car set 71 first and 576 standard class seats. So 72 first and 580 standard on a 10-car train, quite comparable to the 9-car sets.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
The draft IEP seating layouts show the seating arrangements in these coaches, though there is no longer a composite coach in the nine-car trains (and no eight-car IEPs).

http://www.fofnl.org.uk/archives/iep-train-layouts.pdf
Though the ratio of first to standard class seating seems to have decreased in the composite coach of the 5-car sets since those 2012 layouts were published. Otherwise the numbers tally up, though.

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Oh far from it, we play by the rules but if we propose an amendment to a SRT or TPR value that actually reflects reality, removes ZZ or QA delay and does not cause detrimental issues to the timetable you can bet your backside it won't be immediately accepted.

Seeing as we have an informed NR source on the thread, what on earth happened on the 16/17th? Complete Reading closure and no work done at all, so we hear? Or is that wibble?!

Established Member
Seeing as we have an informed NR source on the thread, what on earth happened on the 16/17th? Complete Reading closure and no work done at all, so we hear? Or is that wibble?!

Not wibble although I believe SOME (about 25%) of the work was completed.

FGW_DID

Established Member

Not wibble although I believe SOME (about 25%) of the work was completed.

Wibble with a bit of truth. There was plenty of work being done, from my vantage point at Reading there was lots of Orange Hi-Viz on and around the track and the OLE.

Some of the works were either not completed or not carried out at all. This has led to the possessions every Sunday (0025-1230) for a good few weeks to complete everything.

The OLE was declared "Live" on the 16th, once all the work is complete and been signed off, then the dynamic testing can begin, pretty much as when the portion to Maidenhead was energised.

The depot is still only half energised, the East Yard is still classed as a "Permanently Earthed Zone (PEZ)" and the energised section is still on a temporary feed (fed from the Up Relief & Up Passenger Loop). The work to put in the two permanent feeds and the energisation of the PEZ isn't planned until sometime mid - late October and that may have been shunted back by the (non) events of the 16th/17th.

tgrb

So my 1st advanced single tickets for Monday 16th October say:

06:00 Coach D Seat 24 BRI to PAD
19:00 Coach D Seat 14 PAD to BRI

My seat preference was forward window table (not asking for much I know!!)

These were booked on 11th September

Read into that what you will.....

tgrb

These high stakes risk takers booking APs! :lol:

Good luck!! ;)

I needed to go to London around then (I can usually find an excuse!!) so I thought I'd take a punt!!

I presume these trains will be 10 cars and I'll now be in the middle not the front☹️

Let's hope the coffee gets better on the SET (yes I know I'm dreaming and pigs are flying faster than the 19:48 from Paddington I'm currently sat on with no 1st class host moan moan moan ??????)

Last edited:

leomartin125

So my 1st advanced single tickets for Monday 16th October say:

06:00 Coach D Seat 24 BRI to PAD
19:00 Coach D Seat 14 PAD to BRI

My seat preference was forward window table (not asking for much I know!!)

These were booked on 11th September

Read into that what you will.....

I've booked my tickets, reserved on 0600 BRI - PAD on 16th in Coach D Seat 13, and also requested forward table. However no seat diagrams are available yet...

DaveHarries

Established Member
With the aid of RealTimeTrains (RTT) I have compiled the attached list showing the first few diagrams that are planned to be worked by GWR's new Class 800s. I have only done Mondays to Fridays but will post weekend ones later. I hope this will be of use. The 1925 Bristol TM to Stoke Gifford is of note...!

No new workings diagrammed, nor information available, past 04th December.

Dave

Attachments

• iep102017.png
    iep102017.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is very useful so many thanks but I believe 1L51 departs at 1055 not 1132 from Cardiff Central?

5 Car ABCDE
A,B,C - Standard
D - Composite
E - First

9 Car ABCFGHJKL
A,B,C,F,G,H,J - Standard
K,L - First

10 Car ABCDEGHJKL
A,B,C,G,H,J - Standard
D,K - Composite
E,L - First

Anyone know if there is a 'Quiet Coach' on these as you would currently find on the HSTs?

Kite159

Veteran Member
It appears the 19:00 Bristol service calls at Didcot Parkway 5 minutes before the 17:29 Swansea - Paddington. Quite tight but I might give that a try doing Reading - Didcot - Reading on the Monday, to give a taster of the new machines.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Which is logical as that's an unopowered vehicle as well.

I don't think that placing the quiet coach in the unpowered vehicle is intentional - its simply the first standard class coach (coach A) which just happens to be unpowered, i.e. by accident rather than design.

Status
Not open for further replies.