• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR operating short 'HSTGTi' sets (see diagrams section for workings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Currently 14 sets with GW12-13 being OOU. When the final coaches have been delivered the formations will be as I posted up thread with a few spare vehicles.

Edit: Check post #1953, and no that list is not correct. Close though.
hmmm checked #1953 and that's the same as I've got for 12 and 13 ignoring order of vehicles.

ABB125

Established Member
Is there an up-to-date list of weekday diagrams? I'll be in Cornwall on Tuesday, so would appreciate any pointers as to which trains are HSTs!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Is there an up-to-date list of weekday diagrams? I'll be in Cornwall on Tuesday, so would appreciate any pointers as to which trains are HSTs!

Can't provide a list at the moment but if not an IET, RTT will Identify Castle in the Timing loads and the others pathed at 90 mph will be 158s

DannyMich2018

I'm at Dawlish Warren till Friday and I've seen plenty of GTI HSTs go past. Some occasions seen two in less than hour. Of course not so many out on a Sunday though.

13.09 Exeter to Penzance is 43005 and 43027.

Last edited:

EIKN

Hi I was just wondering about the Castle sets and while reading an article about wabtec and Scotrail HST's it was talking of ' extra coaches, it mentioned a fair few still.underway for XC but ' extras for GWR sets , is there scope like Scotrail for 5 car castle sets , perhaps with a first class conversation, and do services Run from for example Penzance to Bristol and Cardiff and for example Oxford, if so wouldn't an extra car especially first class , improve the offering , as I was under the impression , that the high quality Scotrail first class was a ' redress of GWR green , ' first class converted stock ', so in that context if the bulk of the refurbishment work on interiors was done with the change to the ( imho , stunning ' racing green ' livery ) - probably the best livery in the UK , but anyway if going longer distances , a First class , Scotrail style with buffet area , on longer routes. Could this work , and more importantly be something ' acheiveble ', as it surely could oy be a good thing , as more seats , more revenue? Or was the 2+4 due to platform lengths .

Apologies for the questions, I'm really unfamiliar with that region, and the idea behind the short sets there , being only 4 cars .
Rather than some being 5 like Scotrail .

Annetts key

Established Member
The existing 2+4 HST sets do stop at some stations where only two carriages are given door release. Note that the train crew only have a choice of all four carriages having door release or the front two carriages. No other combination is currently possible as I understand it.

But most stations on the Exeter St. David’s/Taunton to Cardiff Central via Bristol Temple Meads can take a five carriage HST (in the past seven coach HSTs were used for most of the stations in this area).

Some of the stations that are too short were only designed for the likes of 150 class Sprinters (Worle) or have had some of their existing platform lengths taken out of use (shortened to save money), such as Parson Street, Bedminister and Lawrence Hill.

Filton Abbey Wood may be marginal at 117m (the original platforms have been extended in the past I think).

Some platforms could be extended back to a longer length, and a better selective door system could be fitted.

I don’t know about the route south west of Exeter.

irish_rail

Established Member
Hi I was just wondering about the Castle sets and while reading an article about wabtec and Scotrail HST's it was talking of ' extra coaches, it mentioned a fair few still.underway for XC but ' extras for GWR sets , is there scope like Scotrail for 5 car castle sets , perhaps with a first class conversation, and do services Run from for example Penzance to Bristol and Cardiff and for example Oxford, if so wouldn't an extra car especially first class , improve the offering , as I was under the impression , that the high quality Scotrail first class was a ' redress of GWR green , ' first class converted stock ', so in that context if the bulk of the refurbishment work on interiors was done with the change to the ( imho , stunning ' racing green ' livery ) - probably the best livery in the UK , but anyway if going longer distances , a First class , Scotrail style with buffet area , on longer routes. Could this work , and more importantly be something ' acheiveble ', as it surely could oy be a good thing , as more seats , more revenue? Or was the 2+4 due to platform lengths .

Apologies for the questions, I'm really unfamiliar with that region, and the idea behind the short sets there , being only 4 cars .
Rather than some being 5 like Scotrail .
I'm not sure there's much to be gained from lengthening the GWR Hsts. I'm yet to see one that is overcrowded or even very busy.
Lengthening some 5 car 802s would be more desirable in my opinion but that aint gonna happen either....

JonathanH

Veteran Member
is there scope like Scotrail for 5 car castle sets , perhaps with a first class conversation
They are effectively stock for local trains because there aren't enough 158s available. Four coaches gives quite adequate capacity compared with a pair of 158s. First class wouldn't be warranted.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The existing 2+4 HST sets do stop at some stations where only two carriages are given door release. Note that the train crew only have a choice of all four carriages having door release or the front two carriages. No other combination is currently possible as I understand it.

But most stations on the Exeter St. David’s/Taunton to Cardiff Central via Bristol Temple Meads can take a five carriage HST (in the past seven coach HSTs were used for most of the stations in this area).

Some of the stations that are too short were only designed for the likes of 150 class Sprinters (Worle) or have had some of their existing platform lengths taken out of use (shortened to save money), such as Parson Street, Bedminister and Lawrence Hill.

Filton Abbey Wood may be marginal at 117m (the original platforms have been extended in the past I think).

Some platforms could be extended back to a longer length, and a better selective door system could be fitted.

I don’t know about the route south west of Exeter
Full length 2+8 HSTs used to stop at Worle with either the front 4 or rear 4 coaches opening.

I’ve only been on a modified short set once and am sure all doors openend, they certainly did on the slam door short sets.

Isn’t the SDO the same as before where local door, all doors in front or all doors behind can be selected.

paulwestwood

Full length 2+8 HSTs used to stop at Worle with either the front 4 or rear 4 coaches opening.

I’ve only been on a modified short set once and am sure all doors openend, they certainly did on the slam door short sets.

Isn’t the SDO the same as before where local door, all doors in front or all doors behind can be selected.
SDO on the 2+4 are all doors from all panels except in the panel in coach B vestibule which has the SDO panel of Doors Ahead or Doors Behind, so for the likes of Parson Street, Bedminster both directions, also Lostwithiel and Saltash on the Up only which are Front 2 Coaches only.

Annetts key

Established Member
I'm not sure there's much to be gained from lengthening the GWR Hsts. I'm yet to see one that is overcrowded or even very busy.
Lengthening some 5 car 802s would be more desirable in my opinion but that aint gonna happen either....
At some times of the day, they do get busy at Bristol Temple Meads. Although not yet seen one with lots of people standing.

typetwos

43029 48137 48136 48150 49117 unknown 43154 on 5V84 10:48 DONWKSWAB to LAIRA TMD 19/08/21 H.S.T. "125"

Any idea what the unknown carriage is?

DannyMich2018

I take it 49117 is a spare TGS with 48149 and 48150 also spare? Is it correct and I assume no more left to be out shopped from Donny? Thanks.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There seems to be a shortage of Castles at the moment, in fact only 6 out of 11 today. Work is being covered by 158s, 150s and Turbos resulting also in short forms.. 150s have been working from Penzance to Cardiff even.

Status
Not open for further replies.