• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR proposal to run a class 387 from Cardiff on weekday evenings from December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Included in the current track access application from GWR is a plan to run a Class 387 empty from Didcot each evening to pick up a passenger working to Bristol Parkway. The unit then goes to Swindon Cocklebury sidings for overnight stabling but will run in service on event days.

To facilitate the operation of the new Cardiff Central to Bristol Parkway service, the following right is requested:

Additional SX service from Cardiff-Swindon operated by Class 387. The service is proposed to operate a daily ecs move from Didcot Parkway-Cardiff Central and a passenger working from Cardiff to Bristol Parkway, before running empty to Swindon.
• 3L94 19+28 Didcot-Cardiff Central
• 1L94 22:04 Cardiff-Bristol Parkway calling at Newport.
• 5L94 22+54 Bristol Parkway-Swindon Cocklebury.

The purpose of the train is to provide Class 387 route and traction retention and capability for special events. Should a special event be taking place at Cardiff the passenger service will be extended to Swindon (under existing relief train right) and may be retimed. In many weeks there will be an engineering possession between Wootton Bassett and Westerleigh Jn which will preclude the above services operating. In that eventuality given there is a later service from Cardiff, no rail replacement services will be operated.

This service will be performed by a Class 387 which will provide route and traction retention for this Class. Additionally, the service will provide passenger benefit by providing additional capacity and travel opportunities for special events occurring in Cardiff. This will benefit passengers by reducing overcrowding.

It appears to run four minutes behind an existing service to Bristol Temple Meads and won't connect into anything particularly useful at Bristol Parkway but seems to help with capacity if an event occurs.

The use of 387s to Cardiff for event workings has been noted in previous threads - eg this one https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/gwr-387’s-to-cardiff.166316/ and this seems to be the next step in that plan.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
not sure if its been reported here yet. But seen on the wnxx forum but gwr have put a track access application to run a regular sx service between Cardiff and Didcot parkway using a class 387.

Here is a screenshot showing the times:

Probably the first emu to run under its own power in south wales unless you count the gwr class 800/801 & 802s

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200826-130852_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200826-130852_Chrome.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 277

bussikuski179

Would those be the first fully electric units in Wales then? On their own power of course, I know Pendolinos hauled by 57s went to Holyhead at some point, but those weren’t on electric power.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was going to say I wondered if this would be some sort of budget service with dedicated fares, then it occurred to me that (other than the absence of 1st) it has a nicer and more comfortable interior than the 80x :D

pompeyfan

Established Member
Is the intention that the service is guarded? Or will it run DOO?

JN114

Established Member
Is the intention that the service is guarded? Or will it run DOO?

Guarded, GWR has an outstanding commitment to not change to geographical confines of DOO(P) operation during the franchise.

stj

Would be good if it is all stations between Cardiff and Didcot as there is no direct service from STJ that way.This would allow access to the workplaces around Parkway and Swindon without changing trains.Also could be a faster option to London by not going via Newport or Temple Meads.

pompeyfan

Established Member
No, and no Guards/ TM's sign 387s either

Whilst I’m personally pleased/grateful the services will still be guard operated, it’s a huge amount of effort to go through for 1 service on a Sunday and the occasional event shuttle.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Whilst I’m personally pleased/grateful the services will still be guard operated, it’s a huge amount of effort to go through for 1 service on a Sunday and the occasional event shuttle.

I'm guessing drivers would need to be trained as Paddington HSS don't sign 387s

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Would be good if it is all stations between Cardiff and Didcot as there is no direct service from STJ that way.This would allow access to the workplaces around Parkway and Swindon without changing trains.Also could be a faster option to London by not going via Newport or Temple Meads.
All that is planned is a daily one off journey at 10pm from Cardiff as far as Bristol Parkway that will only run when engineering work permits. Don't get excited about a Cardiff to Didcot stopping service - it goes empty to Swindon for stabling.

I'm guessing drivers would need to be trained as Paddington HSS don't sign 387s
The driver, presumably based at Swindon, who currently works a 387 from Didcot to Swindon Cocklebury Sidings each evening will have a detour via Cardiff. What have Paddington HSS got to do with it? Presumably the route and traction knowledge for the drivers involved is already in place to some extent? Seems to me that the guard boards at Cardiff Central, gets off at Bristol Parkway and goes home.

Might the regular service actually be for route refreshing so they can be used for events?
Yes, clearly, that is what is written out as the justification in the application. It appears to be all about traction and route retention for the affected traincrew so they can use 387s for events.

Last edited:

VP185

The driver, presumably based at Swindon, who currently works a 387 from Didcot to Swindon Cocklebury Sidings each evening will have a detour via Cardiff. What have Paddington HSS got to do with it? Presumably the route and traction knowledge for the drivers involved is already in place to some extent? Seems to me that the guard boards at Cardiff Central, gets off at Bristol Parkway and goes home.

No Swindon driver signs the route to Cardiff. Training a 387 driver the route to Cardiff would be pointless as there will simply not be enough work to retain their route competency

JN114

Established Member
No Swindon driver signs the route to Cardiff. Training a 387 driver the route to Cardiff would be pointless as there will simply not be enough work to retain their route competency

Yet.

Swindon is a small link of drivers, there’d easily get round the roster enough to work the Cardiff every couple of months, with one weekday trip per day - plus there’d be ample opportunities to refresh by other means. There are already routes on Swindon’s route card that are only visited by one Swindon driver per day - this would be no different to those.

trolleyman

Would also work if top link of GWR Bristol TM drivers did it; apart from Cocklebury Sidings and 387s they have full route knowledge. Only a small link so retention would be easily maintained as the job would come up at least 2 weekly.
Problem being prior to December commencement is that there’s no plan in place for route learning under COVID restrictions.

irish_rail

Established Member
I thought a new depot had been agreed at Cardiff. Would think they may be the ones doing it perhaps. Them or swindon.

JN114

Established Member
Would also work if top link of GWR Bristol TM drivers did it; apart from Cocklebury Sidings and 387s they have full route knowledge. Only a small link so retention would be easily maintained as the job would come up at least 2 weekly.
Problem being prior to December commencement is that there’s no plan in place for route learning under COVID restrictions.

There’s lots of depots that have the full route knowledge, none of those have the traction knowledge. Still AFAIK the plan has always been for Swindon drivers to learn the route, and that hasn’t changed that I’m aware of.

class ep-09

I think there is much simpler way of a driver getting to Cardiff and back ( who signs 387’s but doesn’t sign the route)
- he / she needs to be conducted by driver, who signs it.

Of course now it is impossible due to COVID but that also applies to route learning.

In the future, when route knowledge between HSS drivers and GWR drivers disappears, they will inevitably sign (Paddington) Swindon- Cardiff / Swansea etc, as the core route.

craigybagel

Established Member
Yet.

Swindon is a small link of drivers, there’d easily get round the roster enough to work the Cardiff every couple of months, with one weekday trip per day - plus there’d be ample opportunities to refresh by other means. There are already routes on Swindon’s route card that are only visited by one Swindon driver per day - this would be no different to those.

What do Swindon sign, as a matter of interest? It's one of the depots I'm missing from my master thread on driver/route knowledge.

Asif

Could this be the first ever 387 to make it to Wales? Possibly not the first and that GWR have already started overnight tests to Cardiff previously?

Either way, quite exciting.

Attachments

• F57DC1FB-7A9F-4B4A-98E3-D8D649ED31E1.jpeg
    F57DC1FB-7A9F-4B4A-98E3-D8D649ED31E1.jpeg
    989.6 KB · Views: 213

JN114

Established Member
Could this be the first ever 387 to make it to Wales? Possibly not the first and that GWR have already started overnight tests to Cardiff previously?

Either way, quite exciting.

It is due to be first train to Cardiff yes.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Photo of 387163 + two unidentified units at Cardiff Central was posted in a local Facebook group (not by me - I was tucked up in bed!)

43102EMR

Established Member
Are the diagrams meant to start on Sunday for the Cardiff services? Saw the planned service is only booked to Swindon this Sunday but booked all the way to Cardiff the following week

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I think there is a late notice engineering possession attending to a bank slip on the Hullavington route that will disrupt / put back the first dates of 387 operation to Cardiff.

43102EMR

Established Member
I think there is a late notice engineering possession attending to a bank slip on the Hullavington route that will disrupt / put back the first dates of 387 operation to Cardiff.
Ahh no worries, thank you for clarifying!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Indeed it's still booked to run, but only as far as Swindon, as there's a section of single line working via Hullavington which has stopped the additional 387 services to Bristol Parkway (and now Cardiff) running through. 20th will probably be the full operation.

Here's tomorrow's train: 9B04 0712 Paddington - Swindon
Here's the train on the 20th: 9B04 0712 Paddington - Cardiff Central

Status
Not open for further replies.