• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Had problems taking pictures of the railways?

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
It is also unenforceable. Do they ask every tourist not to use a camera on a railway station? Of course they don't so why are enthusiasts singled out.

Of course they don't. It's far easier for them to pick on a train spotter or 2 than hassle the some tourists.

Suppose it makes them feel good inside, doesn't it, knowing they're wasting time of the spotter and themselves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well, for a start, it's spelled "site". "Sight" is an entirely different word.

Secondly, "upload new post" makes no sense.

I'm guessing that the poster doesn't speak English as their first language. I would also suspect he meant "upload a new photo".

Yeah, when I was fotting the 90 set leaving after I got off it from Coventry some woman came up and said I needed to "sign in" I said i wasnt staying and I was told "im not allowed to take photos" hmmm

She wants telling. Should of mentioned the posters that are at Preston & Carlisle saying otherwise.

Ivo

Established Member
I've never had any worse than a strange look before now. Mind you, that was at Bath Spa, and I've already said how inconsiderate some of the staff there are. So my advice to you all is this: Avoid Bath Spa if you can. If you want a station around here for HSTs and Sprinters, go for Westbury. And the staff are nicer too!

lifeboat1721

While at Carlisle 8th of May A group of "Snappers" crossed the "Line" on the platform which made a platform manager Very unhappy!! He told them to move back behind the line and to use some common sense as there were pendelino's comming in.

I have to aggree with him, It would take only One acident and we ALL could be banned from the platform's.

My self and a mate of mine went and pulled one guy back as he was leaning over trying to get "The Shot".

Please don't Hog the platform get your shot then move away to let others get there's that way we ALL help each other and keep the Jobsworths happy.

Ian

alexdodds

I agree as well. If I was one of the staff I too would of told them just to move back from the edge for their own safety but I would of done it politely:)

I agree with him there aswell. The fools at Northallerton get way too close for comfort, as if the yellow line doesnt apply to them.

Established Member
The ones I've seen and heard about at Northallerton really should be kicked off the station for doing that. I've got no idea what gets into their tiny minds but they are the ones who mess it up for the rest of us.

alexdodds

If you are talking about the meet in June last year I did go to that except it was comming to the end and only a few were there as the rest went down to York.

Once they gone i stopped on for the rest of the day and got some more videoing and i behaved myself by not going near the edge although despite been far back i could feel the draft lol.

Established Member
There's a few videos on YouTube which have some of them on, standing very close to the edge and waving to get the driver to sound the horn. Not exactly good practise. Won't be long til one of them is injured or killed if they keep doing it.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
I was at Salisbury when some kettle came in, everybody on the end of the platform being sensible except one oldish chap who decided to walk down the ramp, I called him back, flashing my ID all official like :lol: and got the "well there isn't a sign", I replied "Well whats that then" pointing to a sign that he had walked past.
I mean if there wasn't a sign does he honestly think its acceptable to walk down onto the tracks?

455driver

Veteran Member
Was there a sign saying you couldnt smack him around the head?
Bet he would complain if you did :lol:

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I've just got back from a couple of days in London which involved a lot of travelling and photographing on various forms of transport, and surprisingly only had one problem. This was a Metroline driver who objected to me taking a few shots of Harrow Weald depot, claiming that it was against the law. I pointed out I was on public property (I was actually on the opposite side of the road to the depot) so there was nothing he could do to stop me. He then said something about needing permission to photograph him, at which point I told him that the law said that you don't need permission to photograph anyone in a public place or where privacy cannot reasonably be expected (so standing right on the edge of private property, clearly in view from the public highway, does not give a right to not be photographed), and that I wasn't photographing him anyway, bus the buses and the depot. At this point he walked off. The only photograph he was actually in was a long shot of the whole depot frontage, where he isn't even identifiable.
Other than that, no problems. I did ask at Victoria bus station as there were TfL staff around and was just told "keep of the roads", and even was allowed onto the SET platforms at St Pancras to get some photos of Javelins. A London Underground driver walked to the other side of the cab to tell me that Sarah Siddons was out on a special (annoyingly in the wrong place for me to see it) and an LUL cleaner waited whilst I photographed an A stock at Uxbridge. Didn't photograph much on NR stations though as most of them arn't that good for photos, and there is little of interest (for me that's mostly new stuff, old stuff or ones I've travelled on or am about to travel on).

Just seen about 6 films on youtube of films where a security or station staff are giving the guy behind the camera trouble claiming the usual permission is needed because of terrorists excuse.

Was there such problems when the IRA was very much active. I dont think there was.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I think when it comes to "security" it would be so bad if we could trust that at most it would be a case of a security guard or even police officer coming up and asking what we are doing and when they found out that we had legitimate reasons for taking photographs and were clearly not a terrorist (come on, you take the "anyone could be a terrorist" to an extream an you end up locking everyone up).

The problem comes when they start quoting none existant rules (for example that photography isn't allowed, which is absolutely not the case when you are on public property) or worse decide to detain people for questioning (beyond "what are you doing") or search.

The first is inconvienient as is wastes time, and becomes even worse when it's the police and they start wanting personal details. Being searched can just being about more suspition for someone inclined to find it (for example the average rail enthusiast might have notebooks full of train numbers and trips, maps, timetables etc etc). Combine that with a PNC check which will show up previous similar incidents, as well as any other "trouble" with the police and it can lead to this spiral of suspition. The problem with the "if you've got nothing to hide" attitude is that if someone is determined enough they will just keep digging deeper until they do find something, which they then use as an excuse to dig deeper still. The fact that the "suspect" is likely to be getting more worried, and more annoyed and less co-operative, just makes it worse.

Another problem is that stop and searches are recorded and can show up on Enhanced CRB checks. I had to have one done for my job, and the two stop and searches I've had both showed up. Wasn't a problem, but it depends on what the job is and what they claim they stopped you for (anything implying suspected terrorist isn't going to look good for anything security related, and anything implying suspected pedo isn't going to look good if you're going to be working with children).

It all comes down to this big problem of a climate of fear and a massive erosion of innocent unless proven guilty. It's important to remember that a hell of a lot more people gave their lives to defend our freedoms than have lost their lives due to our freedoms.

the sniper

Established Member
The first is inconvienient as is wastes time, and becomes even worse when it's the police and they start wanting personal details. Being searched can just being about more suspition for someone inclined to find it (for example the average rail enthusiast might have notebooks full of train numbers and trips, maps, timetables etc etc). Combine that with a PNC check which will show up previous similar incidents, as well as any other "trouble" with the police and it can lead to this spiral of suspition. The problem with the "if you've got nothing to hide" attitude is that if someone is determined enough they will just keep digging deeper until they do find something, which they then use as an excuse to dig deeper still. The fact that the "suspect" is likely to be getting more worried, and more annoyed and less co-operative, just makes it worse.

Another problem is that stop and searches are recorded and can show up on Enhanced CRB checks. I had to have one done for my job, and the two stop and searches I've had both showed up. Wasn't a problem, but it depends on what the job is and what they claim they stopped you for (anything implying suspected terrorist isn't going to look good for anything security related, and anything implying suspected pedo isn't going to look good if you're going to be working with children).

Easy solution, don't give your name or address, as you don't have to under a Section 44 stop and search. If I were to be stopped by a Police Officer though, I would give my first name as I wouldn't like to come across rude.

Personally, I believe we've passed the peak of 'the war on train spotters' now, especially as many Police Officers seem to be better clued up now over the use of S.44 (though I still maintain that it was a minority who abused or misused the powers). Private security guards are still a problem, but at least the tide appears (at least in my eyes) to be turning. It'll be interesting to see what the Conservatives/LibDems do on this front, considering the promises both made pre-election.

lifeboat1721

Easy solution, don't give your name or address, as you don't have to under a Section 44 stop and search. If I were to be stopped by a Police Officer though, I would give my first name as I wouldn't like to come across rude.

Personally, I believe we've passed the peak of 'the war on train spotters' now, especially as many Police Officers seem to be better clued up now over the use of S.44 (though I still maintain that it was a minority who abused or misused the powers). Private security guards are still a problem, but at least the tide appears (at least in my eyes) to be turning. It'll be interesting to see what the Conservatives/LibDems do on this front, considering the promises both made pre-election.

Personqlly, I prefer TO give my full details to the Police if they do a stop and search as I know that I have nothing to Hide. And once you have had a search done and cleared they give you a copy which I have kept in my Kit bag and when another "Team" came I just shwed them it and they just left.

I won't give any info to the private companies as they think that they are bigger than me but they aren't.

Ian

alexdodds

I came across a grumpy member of staff at Manchester Victoria today. I had already informed the manager in the infomation office that I was taking pictures. This man on the platform said to me you need permission to film but i told him i already did and he said ok. I didnt like the look of him though. he probably wasnt told over the radio that I was videoing.

And at Leeds today a lady from East Coast just asked me do you have permission and i showed her my NR visitors badge i got from the office and so i was on my way.

No trouble at Piccadilly again the shift station manager said you dont need to sign in or go to reception. Although he said that i still do whats right for me and still go to reception. Talking of Manchester it was red hot down there today.

Established Member
I didnt like the look of him though. he probably wasnt told over the radio that I was videoing.

Probably wouldn't have been told over the radio anyway, normally they either assume you have permission or don't care.

CarterUSM

Established Member

Just as an aside, in Scotland, you must give your name and address to a policeman if asked to do so, whether you are being reported for an offence or not.:(

A very disappointing response from London Overground, evidently photography is now only permitted at the discretion of the station manager whose permission must be sought in advance:

"To clarify our policy regarding photography at railway stations: while there is no blanket rule stating that photography is not allowed, photographers must seek authorisation from the relevant Station Manager prior to taking pictures. It is at the discretion of the Manager as to whether they permit you to take photographs or not.

While you were able to take photographs undetected further down the line, I do not recommend this as a course of action. Next time you wish to take pictures at a railway station, please find the Station Manager first to ask permission."

This policy seems entirely at odds with the NRCoC, Byelaws and guidelines to which LO claim they adhere to.

Sorry just seen this. Them using the word undetected makes it sound like you may have been up to no good. Who do they think we are & what makes London Overground different from the rest of the network.