• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inadequate Metrolink ticketing facilities at Manchester Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As a result of First Transpennine's usual inability to run a train service, I found myself needing to travel from Vic to Pic quickly. Unfortunately on arrival at the tram platform there are only two ticket machines.

Not a problem I thought - five minutes to the tram. I go to the empty one. Screen frozen and nothing happening. After a few seconds jabbing away to no avail, I join the queue for the other machine. This had a large group of people unfamiliar to the area, trying to work out what ticket to get and how to use the machine. My tram came and went.

Eventually I did manage to obtain a ticket, however the set up strikes me as wholly inadequate for a major interchange. There was no one on hand from TfGM to assist out of towners, only two ticket machines on the platform, one of which wasn't working. The only tiny maps of the system are on the ticket machines.

It was a bit of a fiasco really and I only just made it to Pic in time for my train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Always used to be a pain when interchanging at Cornbrook station for onward travel on the (Manchester) Metrolink system to find that the TVM there didn't work. This was particularly the case when there was officially no access from street level and so not many journeys originated (or in my case continued) from there.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think Metrolink are trying to go more now for a tap on, tap off so ticket machines are not really their priority sadly.

Is this a case where an obsession with using cash almost caused a missed train? Or did the OP possess a card but not know about the tap in tap out, which obviously doesn't work for families but does for individuals? Or was he wanting a concessionary ticket, a small saving compared to the inconvenience of missing a train?

OTOH on a system with fully compulsory ticketing, i.e. where one may not just board even if all machines are broken, they really do need to be maintained properly.

On the subject of confused people faffing, if they are in my way I tend to find a good way to get them out of the way without upsetting them is to help them make their purchase.

Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member
The tram takes about 10 minutes and it takes about 20 minutes to walk. So if you have to wait 5 minutes there isn't much of a difference. When I've been in a rush I normally walk fast or jog. If I have a ticket valid on the tram then I might get it if it coming soon. In that case I usually get the first one that goes as far as Market Street then walk or jog the rest.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The tram takes about 10 minutes and it takes about 20 minutes to walk. So if you have to wait 5 minutes there isn't much of a difference. When I've been in a rush I normally walk fast or jog. If I have a ticket valid on the tram then I might get it if it coming soon. In that case I usually get the first one that goes as far as Market Street then walk or jog the rest.

Funnily enough, I ended up getting one to market street, hence I just made my connection !

johncrossley

Established Member
The connection was probably quicker when it was run by the number 4 bus. It was much more frequent than the current tram service.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
completely perplexed by this. You don’t need a ticket, just use contactless.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
On the platform, usually near the entrance but there are others.

Full details here including a video:

several on each and every platform I’ve ever used on Metrolink, and there always seems to be one where you access the platform.

Well, it can't be that prominent. Plus, how do you tell it how far you want to go !

wilbers

There is also the free bus (route 2, or maybe the longer route 3 if it turns up first).

The exile

Established Member
completely perplexed by this. You don’t need a ticket, just use contactless.
Which again is fine if you are used to this from your home area and don’t mind revealing to all and sundry (twice) where you keep your card.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Which again is fine if you are used to this from your home area and don’t mind revealing to all and sundry (twice) where you keep your card.

I think almost everyone is used to using it from their home area, it’s called paying for something with contactless.

ps I use my phone (as do most people, from observation)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
and don’t mind revealing to all and sundry (twice) where you keep your card.

What on earth is the point in carrying a payment card if you aren't going to use it to make payments for fear of someone nicking it, a situation that is less serious than if they nicked a wallet containing fifty quid in cash that your bank wouldn't give you back?

There are some spurious objections, but this one takes the proverbial cake.

The exile

Established Member
I think almost everyone is used to using it from their home area, it’s called paying for something with contactless.

ps I use my phone (as do most people, from observation)
While paying by contactless is widespread, by no means all transport undertakings do tap on tap off. Round this part of the world, where it was only introduced a few months ago; from observation very few use it, and many of those who do seem unsure what the process is.

What on earth is the point in carrying a payment card if you aren't going to use it to make payments for fear of someone nicking it, a situation that is less serious than if they nicked a wallet containing fifty quid in cash that your bank wouldn't give you back?

There are some spurious objections, but this one takes the proverbial cake.
There is a massive difference between using a payment card in a reasonably controlled environment (checkout at shop, for example) and while getting on / off a crowded vehicle where you can't immediately stop to put it away and there are loads of people milling about. Your card is much more useful to pickpockets etc than the small change you drop in your trouser pocket.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is a massive difference between using a payment card in a reasonably controlled environment (checkout at shop, for example) and while getting on / off a crowded vehicle where you can't immediately stop to put it away and there are loads of people milling about.

They are on the platform, not on the vehicle, so this does not apply. You don't do it when getting on/off a crowded vehicle, and you can immediately stop to put it away (unlike at a TfL gateline unless you want an umbrella in the back).

Objections are really quite spurious, on the transport network that carries by far the most passengers in the UK each day (TfL) it is working an absolute dream.

Your card is much more useful to pickpockets etc than the small change you drop in your trouser pocket.

However that's at the bank's loss, not yours. If a card is stolen and reported promptly (and why wouldn't you?) you are liable for NONE of the losses. Not even pocket change's worth.

"But I wouldn't notice" - yes you would, when you didn't have it to tap off with or when you next attempted to pay for something using it or withdraw cash.

The exile

Established Member
They are on the platform, not on the vehicle, so this does not apply. You don't do it when getting on/off a crowded vehicle, and you can immediately stop to put it away (unlike at a TfL gateline unless you want an umbrella in the back).

Objections are really quite spurious, on the transport network that carries by far the most passengers in the UK each day (TfL) it is working an absolute dream.

However that's at the bank's loss, not yours. If a card is stolen and reported promptly (and why wouldn't you?) you are liable for NONE of the losses. Not even pocket change's worth.

"But I wouldn't notice" - yes you would, when you didn't have it to tap off with or when you next attempted to pay for something using it or withdraw cash.
It wouldn’t help you to cope for the rest of the day, though.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You don't even need to use a card, as Google Pay and Apple Pay can also be used for TfGM contactless. The big yellow readers are fairly obvious.

javelin

While paying by contactless is widespread, by no means all transport undertakings do tap on tap off. Round this part of the world, where it was only introduced a few months ago; from observation very few use it, and many of those who do seem unsure what the process is.

Yeah, contactless and contactless pay-as-you-go are different things. For many bus operators their contactless isn't the pay-as-you-go variety, although some are starting to use it now. The driver just asks where you are going/what ticket you want and you pay for that ticket like you would in a shop. It saves fumbling for cash but you still have to interact with the driver.

Contactless pay-as-you-go systems are a different setup where the fare is calculated automatically for you based on your journey before the operator requests the contactless payment from the bank. This eliminates the interaction altogether and speeds things up. It also allows them to intelligently cap your payment before request.

Many people familiar with London may wonder what the fuss is about. But for most people outside London who barely if ever use the Tube/Overground etc, Metrolink may be their first experience of pay-as-you-go contactless. Especially one where you tap on and off (because it's zonal, not flat fare) and there aren't any fare gates to prompt you.

etr221

Whatever the merits of TfGM's contactless system, the big problem (if you don't) is knowing that it exists, and when/where and how to use it... A (very) quick look at TfGM's website didn't strike that working out how to use (and pay for) their services was exactly simple.

Although to be fair, whether they are any worse (or better) than anywhere else is doubtful. There is a great expectation amongst such operators that everyone is a local who knows how the local sytem works - but that's not true: and as each city does its own thing, visitors get totally confused.

If I get off the train, exit the station and go to ride the tram, what do I do? Are there obvious signs to tell me? (Memo to self: next time I'm doing this, take a look) If I actually want a bus, is it very different?

Sigh - it used to be so simple (and standard) - you got on, and somebody took your money and gave you a ticket...

markymark2000

On Moderation
A (very) quick look at TfGM's website didn't strike that working out how to use (and pay for) their services was exactly simple.
TFGM and their website covers multiple modes of transport, some of which doesn't accept contactless tap on, tap off. Once on TFGMs site though, it took me 2 clicks to find contactless. Those being 'Tram Ticket Prices' then 'contactless' just underneath. Contactless is also promoted on 'where to buy tram tickets'. If you click any zones to try and find a fare, click into the fare and it says where to buy the tickets and promotes contactless.

It is promoted well on the website. They can't have a big banner though saying 'pay contactless' since not all transport modes accept this. At somewhere like Victoria though, it's a busy station with normal passengers but also has periods of very high demand with people coming out of the arena, etc, there should be a static tap on, tap off banner thing there.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Whatever the merits of TfGM's contactless system, the big problem (if you don't) is knowing that it exists, and when/where and how to use it... A (very) quick look at TfGM's website didn't strike that working out how to use (and pay for) their services was exactly simple.

“Manchester Tram Tickets” in Google takes you straight to the tram ticket prices page, and there’s a button marked ‘contactless’. Couldn’t be easier to find!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

There is a massive difference between using a payment card in a reasonably controlled environment (checkout at shop, for example) and while getting on / off a crowded vehicle where you can't immediately stop to put it away and there are loads of people milling about. Your card is much more useful to pickpockets etc than the small change you drop in your trouser pocket.
But getting cash out of your wallet (where you also keep your contactless card) is presumably more secure......

Sigh - it used to be so simple (and standard) - you got on, and somebody took your money and gave you a ticket...
It doesn't get much more simple than using contactless to pay for a tram journey.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I did actually use contactless on the ticket machine. There didn't appear to be anywhere on the tram to wave ones card at (like the pad on a bus cab).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is this satire? If not, I am very confused by your post; contactless makes this genuinely easier than it ever has been!

Last time I used Metrolink, I used contactless and it was far easier than the days of giving someone some money for a ticket.

I don't think I've ever taken the tram just for Vic to Pic though; I always walk (or, if in a rush, jog/run, which definitely beats the tram!)

There didn't appear to be anywhere on the tram to wave ones card at (like the pad on a bus cab).
It's not done on the tram! It's basically the same concept as the DLR; tap in and out at the stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.