• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

It ain't half hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll probably cause the onset of a Siberian winter by mentioning this but... It's October 24th and tonight the temperature here is 15 degrees (celsius).
We haven't even had a frost yet.
I drove through Exeter this evening and there were people sitting outside cafes drinking coffee and wearing shorts like they were in Italy.
It's very warm and it seems to be stuck like it. Is this going to be a hottest October since Records Began?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
It's not that unusual to not have had a frost yet. The evening temps in my part of the world are definitely down to single figure values though.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'll probably cause the onset of a Siberian winter by mentioning this but... It's October 24th and tonight the temperature here is 15 degrees (celsius).
We haven't even had a frost yet.
I drove through Exeter this evening and there were people sitting outside cafes drinking coffee and wearing shorts like they were in Italy.
It's very warm and it seems to be stuck like it. Is this going to be a hottest October since Records Began?

Aye, cheers Cowley. I'll bear this thread in mind when I fall on my arse and break my wrist due to your reckless tempting of fate :D

tsr

Established Member
This was the outlook from www.metoffice.gov.uk yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon:

UK Outlook for Sunday 29 Oct 2017 to Tuesday 7 Nov 2017:
On Sunday and through next week, the weather will be changeable with frequent showers in the north and east, and the best of the drier and brighter conditions in the south and west. There will be bands of rain moving east or southeastwards at times bringing windier conditions, with an increasing chance of gales, especially in the north. Temperatures will be lower than this week, bringing a risk of overnight frost in many places, but most likely in the north. There is a chance of some snow, over high ground in Scotland, as the wind turns northerly and brings colder air across the UK at times. Into the second week of November, there is a chance of more prolonged settled spells, bringing an increased risk of overnight frost and fog.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 8 Nov 2017 to Wednesday 22 Nov 2017:
There is an increasing chance that the weather will become more settled during this period, especially across southern parts of the British Isles. As a result frost and fog will become more likely. The north may continue to have changeable conditions with the dry and bright weather interspersed with rain at times. Temperatures are most likely to be near average, although probably a little colder in some of the more settled spells, especially where any overnight fog is slow to clear.

Updated: 13:48 on Tue 24 Oct 2017 BST

I do appreciate it feels mild - my favourite outside temperatures are around the 4-9C mark - but I could be sure I can remember warmer Octobers, and I'm really not that old! :lol:

Jonny

Established Member
It is quite warm but there have been a few relatively cold episodes recently.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Aye, cheers Cowley. I'll bear this thread in mind when I fall on my arse and break my wrist due to your reckless tempting of fate :D

You'll be fine as long as you wear the flip flops with the grippy soles Gus.

43021HST

Established Member
I'm one of the few people who likes, even enjoys cold weather. Fingers crossed for some arctic conditions. I'm upset I havnt been able to break out the crombie coat quite yet.

fowler9

Established Member
In all honesty I don't mind how warm it is as long as the sun is shining. November two years ago I went to Gdansk with some friends and spent my birthday at the end of the pier in Sopot out in the Baltic having a beer outside the bar. It was lovely. Not shorts and t shirt weather but nice enough to be sat outside.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm one of the few people who likes, even enjoys cold weather. Fingers crossed for some arctic conditions. I'm upset I havnt been able to break out the crombie coat quite yet.
I love cold conditions, but only when it's properly cold. I'm most miserable when the temperature is between 5°C and -5°C.

43021HST

Established Member
In all honesty I don't mind how warm it is as long as the sun is shining. November two years ago I went to Gdansk with some friends and spent my birthday at the end of the pier in Sopot out in the Baltic having a beer outside the bar. It was lovely. Not shorts and t shirt weather but nice enough to be sat outside.

Quite agree, my favourite weather conditions is that cold but crisp sunny weather you get in the winter. Also perfect for photography.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s a bit colder tonight. Beautiful today though. This is a photo of the Exe Valley I took from near Silverton today (yesterday actually).
25939CAB-7A2D-40BB-9C7C-FE17FADC6624.jpeg
What’s the weather like up there GusB?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It’s a bit colder tonight. Beautiful today though. This is a photo of the Exe Valley I took from near Silverton today (yesterday actually).
View attachment 36062
What’s the weather like up there GusB?
According to the BBC Weather app it's 9 degrees with light cloud, but it's very breezy and feels much colder. I sought refuge under the duvet rather than turning the heating up. Brr.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
According to the BBC Weather app it's 9 degrees with light cloud, but it's very breezy and feels much colder. I sought refuge under the duvet rather than turning the heating up. Brr.

9 degrees!?
I can’t see much skiing going on in the Cairngorms this winter with the temperature that high...
Regardless of wind chill (pah!). According to BBC weather it’s currently only 8 degrees in Milan (I make that colder).
Are you wearing the flip flops that say ‘Saturday’ on them yet or are you still on the ‘Friday’ ones? :lol:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Quite agree, my favourite weather conditions is that cold but crisp sunny weather you get in the winter. Also perfect for photography.

Yes I would agree with that too. It has been mild recently. I have just had a few days in Scotland, I took a load of heavy Jerseys, but did not really need them.

Essan

I love cold conditions, but only when it's properly cold. I'm most miserable when the temperature is between 5°C and -5°C.

That's about my favourite temperature range! (mainloy because it's very usunal to get anything colder than that). If the sun is shining and the temp is around freezing, that's perfection! :D

Got down to +3.2c in my garden this morning, lowest this autumn. Nice.

Not sure how my personal temp figures are looking for the month, though it's certain to be up there amongst the warmest, but rainfall wise it's my driest October ever and 2nd driest month this year (which has overall been very dry).

Essan

9 degrees!?
I can’t see much skiing going on in the Cairngorms this winter with the temperature that high...
Regardless of wind chill (pah!). According to BBC weather it’s currently only 8 degrees in Milan (I make that colder).
Are you wearing the flip flops that say ‘Saturday’ on them yet or are you still on the ‘Friday’ ones? :lol:

There's yet to be any fresh lying snow in the Caorngorms this autumn - very late. Some recent years have seen it as early as late August! But it's not till after Christmas that we usually get good snow cover. So time for all that to change yet. Temps lower down in October aren't usually representative of those at 2,000ft in Feb ;)

Howardh

Established Member
...and on Eurosport this morning the first alpine ski event of the season!

*Not sure that makes me want to laugh or cry - but at least the curling season is in full swing....*

Crossover

Established Member
Well you jinxed that a bit OP, I had to clear frost off the windscreen this morning!
Similarly, I had my usual 20 odd mile commute this morning and came across two separate accidents (one was apparently a HGV vs car but when I passed there was just a bashed up car and remains of plastic etc. strewn across the road, and the other was a kit car that looks like it had spun out on the motorway) - there was another one reported on the other "side" of town to where we are. Welcome to winter....could be a long one if this is going to be the state of driving at the first cold snap!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’ll accept it’s my fault that the weather has got colder Crossover but I didn’t cause either of those accidents.
I was sunbathing at the time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are you sure that news of this event might not have been the root cause of the accidents?

I see what you mean, it could’ve been too much of a beautiful image for them maybe? I hadn’t thought of it like that.
Thanks.

Howardh

Established Member
Went to Fleetwood today - cracking the pavements it was. Glorious view of the power station. What more could you want?? Well, seagulls not dumping on your car for a start.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Went to Fleetwood today - cracking the pavements it was. Glorious view of the power station. What more could you want?? Well, seagulls not dumping on your car for a start.

Cracking the pavements! :lol:

Well I got arrested for wearing my budgie smugglers in Exmouth high street today.
I mean I’d only gone into the town to buy some more shrimps because everyone had eaten what we’d barbecued.
Honestly some people are ever so prudish around here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.