• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jubilee......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Respect for what exactly. I have great respect for many people. I have respect for people who start with nothing and make a success of themselves. I have respect for people who battle against the odds just to survive. I have respect for anyone who works damn hard to support a family in times of crisis. What I do not have respect for are people who have the best of everything plonked in their lap simply as an accident of birth. And are made out to be something special because of it.

Spot on!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jeremy B

My own personal view is that The Queen has done a wonderful job over the last sixty years whether she was "born into it or not"

Representing one of the last links with when Britain had an Empire and the Second World War she has certainly lived through momentous times and changes, providing a continuity and popularity that no elected head of state could dream of aspiring to.

For a woman of 87 she maintains a hectic schedule and has given her whole life in the cause of public service.

XC and his republican cohorts may not like it but the evidence is there of the massive crowds on The Thames witnessing this historic occasion and putting him firmly in the minority with regard to his indifference to Royalty.

What happens when The Queen passes away is another matter, but for the meantime lets just try and appreciate how fortunate we are in having such a revered head of state :p

I couldn't have put that better myself :D

LE Greys

Established Member
I've been watching the boats more than anything, some fascinating things out there. Also, I saw Lizzie's big moment at the beginning, and can't help thinking that some drivers might have laid down a big, thick layer of coal before reversing off fast.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I've been watching the boats more than anything, some fascinating things out there. Also, I saw Lizzie's big moment at the beginning, and can't help thinking that some drivers might have laid down a big, thick layer of coal before reversing off fast.

I noticed one of the boats from the local rowing club with a big Dorset flag getting in shot.

richw

Veteran Member
Respect for what exactly. I have great respect for many people. I have respect for people who start with nothing and make a success of themselves. I have respect for people who battle against the odds just to survive. I have respect for anyone who works damn hard to support a family in times of crisis. What I do not have respect for are people who have the best of everything plonked in their lap simply as an accident of birth. And are made out to be something special because of it.

However it wasnt through accident of birth, It was because her Dad's elder brother "played away" with other women and was made to advocate. Therefore Queen's dad was brought in as king, instead of his elder brother.

Schnellzug

Established Member
getting back to the thing itself, some pleasingly eccentric touches: a floating belfry pushed by a tug leading the thing, and bringing up the rear the London Philharmonic* in a floating conservatory, with a stoic crew on top belting out Land of Ope & Glory as the rain belted down. All very British somehow. :D

* accompanied by Phil on his harmonica :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I suspect a lot of the Jubilee hype is from businesses who are afraid of falling fowl ......

You tend to get quite a lot of "falling fowl" once the beaters are out and the guns are shooting on "The Glorious Twelfth"...:D

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

However it wasnt through accident of birth, It was because her Dad's elder brother "played away" with other women and was made to advocate.

I am sure you really meant to use the word abdicate....:roll:

Unless you were going to say that "he was made to advocate a more acceptable behaviour for future monarchs".

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Despite the weather not playing it's part I thought it was a magnificent and unusual spectacle which will probably never happen again.

How many 86 and within weeks of being 92 year olds do you know that can and will stand for over two and a half hours through a sense of duty?
Yeah, let's have a republic. We might get a president like the terminally thick George dubbya Bush, or a lying hypocrite like Bliar, or someone who sends his goons out for you if you say something that upsets him like Assad, or a little twerp like Sarkozy.

SS4

Established Member
How many 86 and within weeks of being 92 year olds do you know that can and will stand for over two and a half hours through a sense of duty?
Yeah, let's have a republic. We might get a president like the terminally thick George dubbya Bush, or a lying hypocrite like Bliar, or someone who sends his goons out for you if you say something that upsets him like Assad, or a little twerp like Sarkozy.

Not that monarchs can't enjoy a little subjugation of their peoples: Saudi Arabia being a fine example where the King ordered troops to put down a rebellion or the King of Thailand who acquiesced while armed fighting was taking place in his country together with the few absolute monarchies left in the world. I concur (and said as much earlier in the thread) that we're better off with a monarch than an elected head of state but that's more due to the person of the Queen than any constitutional reasoning.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I really wish I could feel more comfortable with a Republic, and in many respects, it is my prefered system of governance. But it has some dreadful features, mainly in where the scrutiny, balance and progress comes from.
With a Monarchy, then the ultimate sanction remains with the well known and understood Monarch; but in the sort of Republican structure we might find in England (or even the UK?) would be scrutiny by an understaffed and poorly trained media (and less trained and informed internet commentators), balance achieved against the unelected and democratically unwanted looser occupying the position of Leader of the Opposition, and progress coming from a self-selected team of advisors.

Its one thing to support the Monarchy through genuine respect and admiration, its quite another to find that one is half-heartedly supporting the Monarchy because the alternatives are obnoxious.

SS4

Established Member

Tracky

The structure of the British Monarchy combines the supposed democracy of a publicly accountable government with the seperation of the impartial head of state. It is far better that way in my opinion.

My concern is the next in line and his impartiality - though I think he may change if and when he takes over (...and he won't be in the chair for 60 years)

Back to my point...

Fantastic day, showing Britain at its best to the rest of the world. It is symbolic, but its what we are good at. The Queen has done a fantastic job for 60 years. Not just a job but a lifes devotion.

Long may she continue.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I note from this story here (Campaign group Republic, who I've never heard of before, can't complain that that outlet at least isn't giving them enough publicity):

"The cost of the royal family to the taxpayer is often cited as a key argument against the monarchy, especially with Britain's economy dipping in and out of recession.
the entire jubilee is reported to be costing London's taxpayers approximately £3.5m."

Flippin' heck, 3.5 m? That barely registers on the radar compared to the amount Elected politicians throw around. 3.5 m is hardly enough to even be worth counting as small change by Governments, is it. How much public money has gone or will go, directly or indirectly, towards the Olumpics, for example? Come to that, i wonder how much the London Mayoral Election cost in total, and who paid for that?

Johnuk123

Established Member
incidentally, did anyone see anything of this lot, or did they decide not to go out because it was Raining? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...icid=maing-grid7|uk|dl1|sec3_lnk4&pLid=111648

Yes Sky talked to a couple of them.

They were the usual po-faced, miserable bunch of left-wing liberals.

Later on Sky said they went back to find them but they were so small and insignificant they couldn't find them.

Tatchell must have given them all a lift home in his pink rickshaw.

newbie babs

Anyone know what steam train it was on the railway bridge near Chelsea pier where the royal barge set off. Sounded really good, but had my grandson who was stood in front of the tv watching it, so I could not see.

SS4

Established Member
Yes Sky talked to a couple of them.

They were the usual po-faced, miserable bunch of left-wing liberals.

Later on Sky said they went back to find them but they were so small and insignificant they couldn't find them.

Tatchell must have given them all a lift home in his pink rickshaw.

Sky's words or yours? If the former it is very poor form for what is supposed to be a major news broadcaster.
Do you know which other group is small? The pre-democracy fighters in Syria or Burma

NY Yankee

I heard that there were celebrations and parties all over London. If you attended any, please post pics here. You guys should be proud to have a Queen like Elizabeth. I'm not that familiar with the history of the British Monarchy, but at one time, the UK had territory all over the world. Whatever issues you have with the government, you should put it aside and enjoy the celebrations in the most beautiful city in the world.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
NY Yankee - I agree in chief with what you say, however some over here are quite sceptical of monarchy, so I don't expect everyone to join in. In a way it's a bit like the Olympics, you love them and you'll buy all the memorabilia, watch it on TV etc, or you hate them and can't stand their existence (and varying degrees in between).

you should put it aside and enjoy the celebrations in the most beautiful city in the world.

Not that many celebrations going on in Glasgow ;)

NY Yankee

The pageantry for Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee included a royal barge trip down the Thames today and hundreds of thousands cheering her on from the banks.

By Ben Arnoldy, Staff writer / June 3, 2012

At the head of a 1,000-ship flotilla, Queen Elizabeth traveled by royal barge down the Thames on Sunday, launching a summer of pomp and spectacle here that includes the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic Games.

Hundreds of thousands braved the rain on river banks and bridges as Elizabeth – celebrating her 60th year on the throne – waved from her vessel, the Gloriana. Two Olympic oarsmen helped row her red and gold-leaf barge seven miles from Chelsea Pier to Tower Bridge.

The Olympians were a reminder that the show-boating in London has only just begun, with the 2012 Games opening here next month. The grandeur befits a city at the center of global trade and finance, with Elizabeth harkening back to traditions of English naval power. But it also contrasts with Britain’s double-dip recession, deep government spending cuts, and a half-century ethos here of self-deprecation.

Some Londoners welcome the showcases as an expression of endurance and a chance for celebration even amid hard times.

“It is a very depressing time at the moment if you listen to news and watch TV, it’s all doom and gloom. It gives people a chance to celebrate and come together,” says Brenda Simpson, a retiree who waited six hours with her husband and sister on the banks for a view.

“There are certain things that need to be celebrated,” says Naveka Perera, a Londoner originally from Sri Lanka. She feels that England left a positive legacy of infrastructure and development in her home nation. “You’ve got to respect her for everything she’s done for [this] country and for Sri Lanka.”

Charlotte Fenwick, a teacher from Norfolk, says the monarchy makes England distinctive. “It’s the only thing the UK’s got left – we provide entertainment and pomp and ceremony,” she says. “But not the weather.”
Not all agree

However, the event also drew protesters who expressed outrage at the opulence at a time when her majesty’s government is slashing government spending.
“It’s obscene. In these days with so many people out of work, to have such spending on all this,” says Lucy Craig. She was unable to reach a small area set aside for protest owing to the crowds which kept many from seeing the event. Some spectators climbed railings or bought periscopes to catch a glimpse above the bowler hats and hand-held Union Jacks.

Ms. Craig agrees the queen draws tourists to England, but says she’d rather have people come to see the country’s national health care system, not gawk at celebrities.

According to the palace website, a private charitable trust called the Thames Diamond Jubilee Foundation will cover the costs of the river pageantry and other events during the four-day jubilee.

The celebrations started Saturday with Elizabeth attending a derby at Epsom Downs. On Monday, the queen will attend a concert at Buckingham Palace, followed by a lighting of thousands of beacons around Britain and the Commonwealth.

The national holiday period ends on Tuesday with a thanksgiving service at St. Paul’s Cathedral that will feature a children’s choir. The royal family will then process by carriage from Westminster Hall to Buckingham Palace.

For the most part, the country has embraced the celebratory spirit of the jubilee. The Olympics, however, are starting to stir up significant community backlash here. Respondents in a YouGov poll last week found 52 percent planning to watch the flotilla on TV or in person, far more than the 21 percent planning to watch the Olympics.

“I would love to start a revolution around the Olympics,” says Gerhard Jenne, founder of Konditor & Cook bakeries. Initially excited about London winning the Olympics, he has been turned off by Olympic officials cracking down on unofficial uses of the rings symbol. “I think they are spoiling it for people. I think they are pushing it too far.”

QUIZ: How much do you really know about Queen Elizabeth II?

The massive security preparations for the Games have also annoyed residents. The Games will see the biggest mobilization of security forces here since World War 2, along with 11 miles of electronic fencing, drones, sonic weapons, and a warship in the Thames.

Plans to deploy anti-aircraft missiles on the roof of an apartment building in East London brought a couple hundred residents to a charged community meeting last week. Alex Kinny, a local teacher’s union representatives, said of the Games: “It’s obvious that local people are becoming bystanders in this corporate event.”

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2012/0603/Elizabeth-barges-down-the-Thames-for-Diamond-Jubilee

Ok, so it was a bit extravagant and over-the-top, but it brought people together and was a proper celebration for the greatest country in the world.

Butts

Veteran Member
NY Yankee - I agree in chief with what you say, however some over here are quite sceptical of monarchy, so I don't expect everyone to join in. In a way it's a bit like the Olympics, you love them and you'll buy all the memorabilia, watch it on TV etc, or you hate them and can't stand their existence (and varying degrees in between).

Not that many celebrations going on in Glasgow ;)

Did you not see the news - there was a street party in Rutherglen which fyi is in Glasgow :oops:

newbie babs

Just heard the news about Prince Philip being admitted to hospital. Such a shame for the Queen and the family. He is 91 this coming Sunday.

Tracky

Just heard the news about Prince Philip being admitted to hospital. Such a shame for the Queen and the family. He is 91 this coming Sunday.

Having stood in the elements yesterday I am not suprised. Hope he makes a good recovery.

LE Greys

Established Member
Anyone know what steam train it was on the railway bridge near Chelsea pier where the royal barge set off. Sounded really good, but had my grandson who was stood in front of the tv watching it, so I could not see.

6201 Princess Elizabeth, named to celebrate the birth of our current queen IIRC. I know of a few drivers who would have had the fireman lay a nice layer of dusty coal over the fire, smokescreening the whole river when the engine reversed away.

VTPreston_Tez

...enjoy the celebrations in the most beautiful city in the world.

Come on there's nothing major going on in Preston.

I'm watching the concert and nobody's really been that good. Tom Jones and Kylie Minogue are the only people worth a mention as the other acts aren't doing very well tonight imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.