• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Cheers! Personally I'm not willing, on the basis of that, to state with certainty either way as to their motivation! I bet it's a mixture of both to be honest. Splitting and joining does add risk regarding late running portions delaying other portions and blocking platforms. Plus the risk that the coupling might not work. With an organisation like LNER which has no institutional memory of auto-couplers or even portion working (since that's not been a thing since at least the early 90s on ICEC) I can see why they'd want to do it with as lower level of risk as possible.
I agree, it sounds more operational than technical to me from that quote but I wouldn't bet on it. They could easily be using operational to cover lack of confidence in the technical. I think GWR are planning some widespread use of coupling and uncoupling I believe so time will tell if the couplers are reliable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

800104, 111 and 800 201 and 202, separated, were in York this afternoon. 104 and 111 were pristine as if they had just been delivered from Newton Aycliffe today but 201 and 202 were filthy.

All were on diesel.

However the 5Q4x series of tests from Newcastle to Edinburgh continue to be used in electric mode. An odd photograph appears on Railway Herald.

BRX

Established Member
That's the world we live in unfortunately. Most people wouldn't give them a thought but the odd idiot would. No need for them cables to be so open like that. Lazy, cheap design!
Yes I know who ordered the original IEPs. That's why there's not much thought for passengers.
Overground 378s have a similar arrangement between some of the coaches. The 'ladder' has fewer rungs though.

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 09.29.34.jpg

superkev

Established Member
Kings Cross, Sat 23 March 2019.

You can understand the concerns over these cables though and why wasn't it originally picked up with the design of the first GWR sets never mind these LNER sets which the government ordered?!

Maybe some sort of webbing, top to bottom will sort the problem out.

Should have been exterior plug doors as well, making them look more sleek and Intercity like.

View attachment 60823
Ignoring whether the cable issue is just nanny state or otherwise I cant understand why the ORR waited till the trains where built to reject them. Cant they read drawings, don't they see them under construction? It's a good job house designed are approved prior and during construction by the fire brigade and local authorities.
Re the sliding v plug I'm old enough to remember when after a particularly bad winter Network south east said the wouldnt order any more sliders due to ice blocking the tracks. Didn't I read somewhere recently the Gw iep depot has been using vaseline to stop door tracks freezing up.
K

westv

Established Member
Seats not lining up with windows. Lazy design or some other reason?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Overground 378s have a similar arrangement between some of the coaches. The 'ladder' has fewer rungs though.
I imagine that passes scrutiny because the gap between vehicles is too narrow for most adults to fit through and the 'rungs' don't stretch high up enough to be able to climb onto the vehicle roof, which I believe is what ORR take issue with.

Jay S

Ignoring whether the cable issue is just nanny state or otherwise I cant understand why the ORR waited till the trains where built to reject them. Cant they read drawings, don't they see them under construction? It's a good job house designed are approved prior and during construction by the fire brigade and local authorities.
Re the sliding v plug I'm old enough to remember when after a particularly bad winter Network south east said the wouldnt order any more sliders due to ice blocking the tracks. Didn't I read somewhere recently the Gw iep depot has been using vaseline to stop door tracks freezing up.
K
The incident an Manchester Victoria changed their perspective on things. They were well aware of the design before then.

SC43090

Yesterday Wednesday 27th March 2019

Iv'e seen a picture from Yesterday showing a pair of Azumas one was a 9 car & other was 5 car load 14 the picture was somewhere on the joint line between Peterborough & Doncaster....... What was it on?????

SC 43090

3973EXL

Established Member
Yesterday Wednesday 27th March 2019

Iv'e seen a picture from Yesterday showing a pair of Azumas one was a 9 car & other was 5 car load 14 the picture was somewhere on the joint line between Peterborough & Doncaster....... What was it on?????

SC 43090

Post #998 in this thread.

5X82 Eastleigh Acton 5X83 Doncaster
800110 & 801106

Railperf

Established Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrYqHw8sLSqEioXL8
open
PrYqHw8sLSqEioXL8

View attachment 60849
Don't the Class 395's have some rubber mouldings fitted onto the end of each car to prevent someone squeezing into that gap and climbing the 'ladder'?

Last edited:

westv

Established Member
I'm surprised they have shifted the standard class quiet coach from the end to the middle of the train.
As it is the only flow through is people getting to and leaving their seats. In the new arrangement the through flow will increase.

BantamMenace

So much for the "essential requirement" in the original specification about reliably coupling and uncoupling in a short and specified time !

They’ll couple reliably but if half the train is an hour late then the whole thing becomes an hour late. I didn’t read his comments as if mechanical reliability was his main concern.

Jonny

Established Member
They’ll couple reliably but if half the train is an hour late then the whole thing becomes an hour late. I didn’t read his comments as if mechanical reliability was his main concern.

Can the first half be allowed to go forward separately?

greyman42

Established Member
It could cause pathing issues and it would require the driver of the second half to remain with the train when he might be due to drive another service, or find another driver.

broadgage

Yes, but this presumes that two crews are available. Whilst of course both portions were crewed on arrival, one crew might be out of hours, or required for another duty and therefore not available to take both portions forward separately.
And of course it presumes availability of a second path.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
5X40 Merchant Park Acton 5X41 Eastleigh
800202 & 801108

In this instance is the 800 effectively a tractor unit for the 801?

What sort of performance can a 10-800-801 combination achieve on diesel? Presumably 2/3 of a pair of 800s or am I missing something?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I assume the interference on electric north of York has stopped? Seen many units going north of York on electric today. Seems to be loads of test runs about.

Established Member
I assume the interference on electric north of York has stopped? Seen many units going north of York on electric today. Seems to be loads of test runs about.

They are testing the modifications to the signals.
All signals in the problem areas have been modified.
Colton - Northallerton has been tested, this weeks (and last weeks) are testing Northallerton - Newcastle.
2 x 801s are based at Merchant Park at the moment for these tests.

geml90

801101 at Darlington this morning.

There was also a liveried Azuma on the Hitachi test track this morning, but I couldn't spot the number.

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_102920.jpg
    IMG_20190402_102920.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20190402_102953.jpg
    IMG_20190402_102953.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 118

deltic08

On Moderation
The portions are splitting at Leeds for Bradford on electric and Harrogate on diesel. Hardly likely to be an hour late for joining on a 20 minute journey from Bradford/Harrogate to Leeds.

Established Member
How many coaches did it have? It could have been 801103/105/107/109-112 or 800203-210 if it was 5-car.

It would be either 801109, 111 or 112. All outside this afternoon at the factory.

801103/105/107 will not come to Aycliffe as these are fully completed at Kasado and believes to be at Tees Dock.
800203 is inside the test shed at Aycliffe and is yet to appear outside.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Spent the day in York today, haven't for a while, and wow the rate of azumas going through station has shot up. Saw one about once every half hour during middle of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.