• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Midland looking for Conductors and Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sammy h

Have to be 21 to apply for the trainee train driver :(

Might go for the conductor vacancy though.

anthony263

Established Member
Thanks for posting this, I have just completed and submitted an application. I have always wanted a job in the rail industry.

387star

On Moderation
Good to get into the railways if you can especially in these recession riddled times. One of the few sectors riding the recession out with some exceptions

Techie

Hi all, welcome to my 1st post!

I applied for the trainee driver position on Wednesday, and I am glad to say I was successful and got to the next stage of testing, which I completed yesterday. Just waiting on the results of that.

Exciting stuff!

TDK

Established Member
Have to be 21 to apply for the trainee train driver :(

Might go for the conductor vacancy though.

You can apply when you are 20 as long as you are 21 after the training finishes

jimmy90

I applied for the trainee driver position on Wednesday, and I am glad to say I was successful and got to the next stage of testing, which I completed yesterday. Just waiting on the results of that.

Exciting stuff!

Got through to the second stage myself with the conductor position, and completed that- was a 'dependability and safety instrument test'...

Tubeboy

Exciting stuff!

Techie, what sort of tests did you do? Was it the usual? Group Bordon, Mechanical Comprehension etc? Thanks.

Established Member
Northern Rail send most of their guard, driver, dispatch, booking office candidates on to the exact same DSI test. If it freezes up, press F5.

Firestarter

Exciting stuff!

That was quick, no messing around with you. I applied on Wednesday and have so far heard nothing back so I'm guessing my application was unsuccessful or maybe I'm just being pessimistic.:(

Last edited:

Fincra5

Established Member
Left being a conductor with Southern to go to Uni. Getting the Itch to work trains, (other than my weekend CSA role) :D So tempted right now...

ChrisM66

Exciting stuff!

Erm,so the trainee drivers vacancy wrent live on tuesday ,morning and your application was so fantastic they got you in for tests straight away,i can smell something and it aint roses.

For one the applications are being handled by an outside hr company,it will be weeks before they even get around to shortlisting,why come on here giving it billy big ones with BS.

kart

Erm,so the trainee drivers vacancy wrent live on tuesday ,morning and your application was so fantastic they got you in for tests straight away,i can smell something and it aint roses.

For one the applications are being handled by an outside hr company,it will be weeks before they even get around to shortlisting,why come on here giving it billy big ones with BS.

I applyed for both the trainee train driver jobs with London Midland on Wednesday night. The next day I had been rejected for one and asked to take that test online for the other one!

anthony263

Established Member
I applied thursday evening and I had a email from London midland thanking me for my application and that they would get back to me soon. I haven't heard anything yet, but I suspect it will take sometime, especially considering how many people will be applying for those vacancies.

Techie

Ok, 1st off, thank you for the marvelous welcome to the forum.
I will play nice, seeing as you have misunderstood me, and maybe it was in the way that I explained it.

I applied online, and yes, within 3 hours, had an email response telling me I had passed the initial stages of the application process, and inviting me to take an online test.

I took the online test the next day and am waiting for a response to it.

Whats so hard to believe? I never said I was invited to go anywhere for tests, and I pressume you assumed I had gone for the concentration tests and stuff.

A driving friend of mine says the process seems slightly different this year, to previous, so I suggest you bear that in mind.

Yes, the applications, at least initially look like they are being handled by an external company, who are using another company to do some apptitude testing.
But you are right about one thing. Yes, my application was fantastic! At least I think so. And if you cant believe in yourself, how you gonna get other to believe in you?

Tubeboy

What was the online test Techie? Thanks.

Just applied before the closing date. Be great if I get it. Have to take a pay cut of a third though, at least during the training/probation stages.

Techie

It
was just a DSI test. Personality test if you like. Just answer the questions honestly, and its easy. Took about 5 miniutes.

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Interesting; not quite sure what rules London Midland are playing at here; I applied for Trainee Driver & Conductor; & just before the deadline on at midnight last night 23:37, i got an email saying that id been unsuccessful! is it a computer that is doing the short listing or are the recruitment companies working that late on a saturday night! i suspect not!

And within the past hour, I had the same email from LM about the conductors role! short listing on a sunday as well! very efficient.

Even with Railway experience (heritage rail) as a shunter driver etc i didnt get through. Good luck to all those who got through tho!

Nym

Established Member
Well, the're advertising for a graduate engineer, but don't provide a starting time, do they want one for this year or next year? (I have emailed them, no response yet)

A-driver

Established Member
Will be a computer shortlisting-wills an for keywords like safety, rules etc. Comes up with a score and compares to other applicants scores and those with the highest scores go through to a human being.

If you apply with first it actually tells you how many key words you have used before submitting an application.

Sammy h

I applied for the trainee driver at West Midlands, not heard anything yet though, don't know whether that it good or bad. Time will tell..

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
If you apply with first it actually tells you how many key words you have used before submitting an application.

First's application is like a word count that also spots any foul language. Im not sold on this Computer does the short listing thing! (yes i know i am biased) but surly they are going to miss out on some people that are really right for the job.

Unless anyone out there has the successful formula to writing these on line applications?

BHXDMT

I applied for the Trainee Conductor position in the W. Mids last night, I thought it was too good to miss out on. I'm not too fussed how long it takes to shortlist as I've had anything from 1 week to 6 weeks with my last applications!

A-driver

Established Member
Using computer shortlisting is the cheaper option. Sadly they don't care if they miss out on people through this-they get so many applications tgat they don't see it as a big deal. Shame really.

the sniper

Established Member
Interesting; not quite sure what rules London Midland are playing at here; I applied for Trainee Driver & Conductor; & just before the deadline on at midnight last night 23:37, i got an email saying that id been unsuccessful! is it a computer that is doing the short listing or are the recruitment companies working that late on a saturday night! i suspect not!

And within the past hour, I had the same email from LM about the conductors role! short listing on a sunday as well! very efficient.

Even with Railway experience (heritage rail) as a shunter driver etc i didnt get through. Good luck to all those who got through tho!

Well, firstly, the deadline was 12:00hrs on the 9th of October, i.e. Sunday afternoon, not 00:00hrs Sunday morning.

On being eliminated quickly, it may have been the key word thing or it could have been that you answered one of the drop down boxes 'incorrectly'. For example, most online applications for railway jobs have a drop down box asking if you're colour blind. Saying you are would automatically rule you out for clear reasons.

Seeing as you're a shunter the above question obviously doesn't apply to you, but there could be other boxes that you have not selected to their satisfaction.

A-driver

Established Member
There is also a chance that they are going on a first come-first served basis and once they had enough applications for human shortlisting they programmed the software to reject all forms. Unfair I know but they are known to do this.

Not sure how many positions they have but LM have been recruiting internally for the past few weeks so they perhaps only had 1 or 2 vacancies at that location and possibly had 300+ acceptable applications in the first day etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.