• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Glasgow Non-Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The (calendar) timing of this train is very clever. The huge demand for Glasgow to Euston services ahead of the England v Scotland football match at Wembley on Friday means all available spare 390s are being sent to Glasgow to work additional services to London. So the record attempt would have run anyway as an ECS, and the additional costs involved are marginal.

Ah, clever!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Anyone know if this run is authorised the maximum 128 (before TASS intervention) in some places as I understand was the case with 2006 run? Or is this run officially 125 max throughout?

jp4712

I'm following the train, and I see that the first train in front of it is 1H18 Euston to Piccadilly. I see that this is running 2 minutes early so I suspect its driver has been briefed to get a move on until Norton Bridge! It even departed its booked stop at Milton Keynes a minute early.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
The (calendar) timing of this train is very clever. The huge demand for Glasgow to Euston services ahead of the England v Scotland football match at Wembley on Friday means all available spare 390s are being sent to Glasgow to work additional services to London. So the record attempt would have run anyway as an ECS, and the additional costs involved are marginal.
Are you sure about that? 1Z72 and 1Z77 (11:52 and 14:00 additionals) are showing as Express Passenger on RTT and are shown as departures on National Rail. 1Z25 (the return of the record attempt) shows as Unadvertised Express on RTT and doesn’t show on National Rail. It looks like it will just be bringing back the people it took up.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
1 minute late at Rugby.

I'd imagine the signallers, passengers and Avanti Management are watching this with bated breath.

EDIT: RTT just updated, currently RT.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm following the train, and I see that the first train in front of it is 1H18 Euston to Piccadilly. I see that this is running 2 minutes early so I suspect its driver has been briefed to get a move on until Norton Bridge! It even departed its booked stop at Milton Keynes a minute early.
1H18 turns right at Colwich, so less chance of conflict.
1D85 to Chester did its loop on the slow line Bletchley-Hanslope without any bother, for 1Z57 to overtake.

notlob.divad

Established Member
so, its already failed or is there still spots to make up for lost time?
Looking on RTT it set off one minute early, fell back to its alotted time slot between Wolverton and Rugby, but is back to 30s up at Lichfield. But then again I don't know what precision each of the timing points on RTT is reported at. Some seem to report 1/2 minutes, others just whole minutes. You would think it would gain on the APT-P through Norton Bridge, given the improvements there.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Almost exactly 1 hour to Lichfield - that's an average speed of 116mph. Not bad!

Mike99

Filmed it going through Nuneaton, but the announcement saying 11:35 Nuneaton to London Euston is cancelled overhead wires down at Stafford

jp4712

My eyes are drawn to LNW 1U29 which is approaching Norton Bridge 2 mins down, and due to switch to the Down Slow at Madeley. Gerroutoftheway!

Dren Ahmeti

The pantograph of 1U26 has decided that it wants to have a go at knitting with 25kV at Stafford P1, however 1Z57 has got an exception to run through the DFL before both lines are blocked, in order to pry the old nanny away from her tools.

Mike99

Flew through Nuneaton, RTT had it spot on time, so 51 and half minutes for I think 97.1 miles

dk1

Veteran Member
The pantograph of 1U26 has decided that it wants to have a go at knitting with 25kV at Stafford P1, however 1Z57 has got an exception to run through the DFL before both lines are blocked, in order to pry the old nanny away from her tools.
That’s the spirit :)

Tom

Looking on RTT it set off one minute early, fell back to its alotted time slot between Wolverton and Rugby, but is back to 30s up at Lichfield. But then again I don't know what precision each of the timing points on RTT is reported at. Some seem to report 1/2 minutes, others just whole minutes. You would think it would gain on the APT-P through Norton Bridge, given the improvements there.
The precision is poor today, because RTT is only picking up TRUST reports (roll over the timings in the Realtime column and you'll see the source on any train). The train via the open data TD feed is running obfuscated (180Q I think) so RTT can't match them together.

jfollows

Established Member
That will be good given there is no Down Fast to Down Slow crossover at Madeley
Yes, I think 1U29 was booked to use the slow lines from Stafford, but presumably because it's far enough ahead of the special train it was sent fast line.

notlob.divad

Established Member
1F14 running 4 1/2 minutes late appproaching Winsford. Hold or release onto the two track section to Weaver Junction? :|

Edit: It was released now 7 1/2 down. Hope it can clear Weaver in time.

Edit 2: i assume 1S52 is scheduled to be held

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Potential trouble at Crewe.
1F14 (to Liverpool) and 1S52 (to Glasgow) both delayed into Crewe, and are now on the slow towards Winsford.
1F40 (LNR to Liverpool) on the slow adding to the complexity, currently at Crewe.

PS
Looks like 1Z57 had a clear run, behind the Liverpool (turning left at Weaver Jn) and overtaking the service Glasgow before Winsford.
1F40 following from Crewe.

Last edited:

Dren Ahmeti

Yes, I think 1U29 was booked to use the slow lines from Stafford, but presumably because it's far enough ahead of the special train it was sent fast line.
It’ll be out of its way by Crewe even if it was to run FL.
Approach control isn’t very restrictive iirc.

Potential trouble at Crewe.
1F14 (to Liverpool) and 1S52 (to Glasgow) both delayed into Crewe, and are now on the slow towards Winsford.
1F40 (LNR to Liverpool) on the slow adding to the complexity, currently at Crewe.
1S52 will be held - it’s in its path to do so.
5 minutes pathing allowance at Winslow.

Status
Not open for further replies.