• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London underground strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris11256

Yes, apparently Alton Towers runs driverless trains on it's roller coasters. It's a good reliable system and nothing ever goes wrong. Boris is going on a fact finding trip this week, and being thrifty with taxpayers money, won't be claiming expenses for it. He'll be cross-subsidising from his 11% pay rise as MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

It's suspected that the ride in question was being operated manually at the time of the accident. Had the ride been operated automatically, it would have stopped everything. Any kind of fault or carriage stopping and they're programmed to stop everything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
The issue here is that there is a huge difference between automatic (improves capacity but with still having staff) and unstaffed (driverless). The latter is highly unlikely for obvious reasons and so the motivation of reducing strikes won't actually mean anything.

Nym

Established Member
And I'd expect that in London, it may be likely that unmanned trains would reduce capacity, mates holding doors etc and no-one to stop it, and all the self evacuations onto live track etc etc...

FordFocus

I remember one proposal for Driverless was originally for the Train Operator to become a DLR style Train Captain (that can strike). Has that been abandoned in favour of the idea of complete automation? Look forward to seeing chaos unfold when the train develops a fault.........

As a side note, when the DLR is packed do Train Captains travel in the front portion in the event of them requiring to take control when the ATO fails?

chris11256

TFL have published some information on expected services during the strikes next week. They hope to run some services, but infrequently.
Strike Info

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
RMT has also withdrawn the overtime ban; not heard anything from Tssa about whether they will be doing the same.

westv

Established Member
So, at the moment, not much has changed. Passengers threatened with inconvenience just put back two weeks.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
So, at the moment, not much has changed. Passengers threatened with inconvenience just put back two weeks.

Yes, very true. Ongoing hassle for all those paying their fares and trying to do a good day's work while the managers/Unions carry on with all their jolly tea and biscuits.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, very true. Ongoing hassle for all those paying their fares and trying to do a good day's work while the managers/Unions carry on with all their jolly tea and biscuits.

And the new proposed strike dates are now after the holidays with many schools and colleges back - if they go ahead a far bigger impact will be caused.

Dstock7080

Established Member
RMT overtime ban has ended too, which will gradually increase the amount of trains repaired, maintained and available for service- especially on the District Line, with 10-15 trains cancelled each day.

A-driver

Established Member
And the new proposed strike dates are now after the holidays with many schools and colleges back - if they go ahead a far bigger impact will be caused.

Lol. On the FGW strike thread someone has been arguing the bank holiday strike date was designed to cause far more inconvenience than a normal work day.

Let's face it, what ever day they choose, mon-fri, sat, sun, bank hol, school hol, Xmas time etc it will inconvenience lots of people.

chris11256

RMT overtime ban has ended too, which will gradually increase the amount of trains repaired, maintained and available for service- especially on the District Line, with 10-15 trains cancelled each day.
Will this mean a reduction in the increased number of S stock operating? I've read that s stock units were being grabbed to try and compensate for the lack of available D stock.

Over the past few weeks I've reached the stage where most of my journeys are S stock. I currently need to specifically wait for a D stock.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
I wouldn't say you will see a reduction in S7s running, just the number of available D Stock will go back to the normal level.
The next D for VivaRail not expected to go for another few weeks, although more S7s delivered this week.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
RMT has also withdrawn the overtime ban; not heard anything from Tssa about whether they will be doing the same.
Tssa suspended the overtime ban as well.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Will the delay have any impact on the Rugby? I don't think the night tube goes to Twickenham anyway.

gavin

Will the delay have any impact on the Rugby? I don't think the night tube goes to Twickenham anyway.

Correct but the RWC has matches at Wembley and the Olympic stadium at Stratford so only time will tell what impact it will have but the tubes after 10pm are gonna be quite busy thats for sure

StateOfPlay

The last 1 day strike I walked to work from Kings Cross to my office which is next to St James's Park station. It took me just over an hour and it was 3 miles. I walked back as well. Luckily it was nice weather and as a one off I quite enjoyed it. However, any future strikes on rainy days would not be so welcome.

Maybe the delay to the night tube will help as it gives time for the new recruits to get up and running to drive them trains through the night.

A-driver

Established Member
The last 1 day strike I walked to work from Kings Cross to my office which is next to St James's Park station. It took me just over an hour and it was 3 miles. I walked back as well. Luckily it was nice weather and as a one off I quite enjoyed it. However, any future strikes on rainy days would not be so welcome.

Maybe the delay to the night tube will help as it gives time for the new recruits to get up and running to drive them trains through the night.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as needing new recruits to drive the trains! Perhaps you need to bear in mind that a tiny proportion of staff who went on strike are actually tube drivers. The vast majority from various other grades.

StateOfPlay

Unfortunately it's not as simple as needing new recruits to drive the trains! Perhaps you need to bear in mind that a tiny proportion of staff who went on strike are actually tube drivers. The vast majority from various other grades.

I understood they were recruiting more than just tube drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.