• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbstar

Hello. I know you can apply at 18 but do you think they will actually take an 18 year old? Is it a bit optimistic for an 18 year old to get £50K (pro-rated obviously) per year?
Age is just a number. It’s on your ability, quick thinking.

Also websites you can get training books and other stuff on line. Just need to search, look howtobecome website, books and courses etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adx

I am aware of at least one internal that has an interview next month, so the campaign is still ongoing.

Halfway Boy

There are some night tube going through the school at the moment, no idea whether these are internal or external though.

KCJones

I've not heard a word as an external 9 months now since the offer email :s:'(

Last time I called HR in May they did say internals were the only ones going into training

UnicornFlump

I've been de-pooled

Hello,

As noted in our previous correspondence, you performed well in the online test but unfortunately did not meet the benchmark to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process and we had been keeping your application on hold in case the benchmark was reviewed.
Since the start of this campaign there has been a decline in demand for Night Tube Train Operators and consequently, we have had to pause some of the current Train Operator recruitment. Unfortunately, we do not envisage that this will pick up again this year. As result we will need to decline your application at this time.
We appreciate this news will be disappointing to you but we want to manage your expectations. We do hope this will not put you off applying to any roles within TfL in the future and we would like to thank you for your understanding and patience throughout.

Jon1993

I've been de-pooled

Hello,

As noted in our previous correspondence, you performed well in the online test but unfortunately did not meet the benchmark to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process and we had been keeping your application on hold in case the benchmark was reviewed.
Since the start of this campaign there has been a decline in demand for Night Tube Train Operators and consequently, we have had to pause some of the current Train Operator recruitment. Unfortunately, we do not envisage that this will pick up again this year. As result we will need to decline your application at this time.
We appreciate this news will be disappointing to you but we want to manage your expectations. We do hope this will not put you off applying to any roles within TfL in the future and we would like to thank you for your understanding and patience throughout.

Sorry to hear that - such a shame demand has dropped so much

loulou1

So I got an email update today regarding the train operator role;
The email says:
“Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for a Train Operator assessment date.

Unfortunately, the demand for Night Tube Train Operators is still very low and we do not foresee there will be any need to recruit any new Train Operators this year. We are hopeful that this may change as we move into the new year and so we will provide you with a further update by the end of January. In the meantime, we wanted to let you know of exciting things that are happening at the moment within London Underground.”

Jon1993

So I got an email update today regarding the train operator role;
The email says:
“Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for a Train Operator assessment date.

Unfortunately, the demand for Night Tube Train Operators is still very low and we do not foresee there will be any need to recruit any new Train Operators this year. We are hopeful that this may change as we move into the new year and so we will provide you with a further update by the end of January. In the meantime, we wanted to let you know of exciting things that are happening at the moment within London Underground.”

Same as

Last edited:

KCJones

Thank you for your patience whilst we wait for training slots to become available. You are currently on our Night Tube Train Operator waitlist, and we wanted to let you know of exciting things that are happening at the moment within London Underground. ..................etc etc

Advances in technology mean that these trains and signalling systems are capable of increased levels of automation. By the early 2020s, with the completion of the new signalling system on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, the majority of existing London Underground lines will have automatic train operation, with a driver on board.

As you may have expected, there has been a lot of interest in these vacancies. As a candidate on our waitlist, we are committed to ensuring that you receive regular updates and messages from our Recruitment team so look out for their emails.

Below is a case study of Emily, who gives a detailed account of the day to day job of a Night TubeTrain Operator

You do not need to contact us for now, we will be in touch when training slots become available.

KCJones

At least you've got half a chance of next year, it's the bit about early 2020's that gets me worried

Mikel

Thank you for your patience whilst we wait for training slots to become available. You are currently on our Night Tube Train Operator waitlist, and we wanted to let you know of exciting things that are happening at the moment within London Underground. ..................etc etc

Advances in technology mean that these trains and signalling systems are capable of increased levels of automation. By the early 2020s, with the completion of the new signalling system on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, the majority of existing London Underground lines will have automatic train operation, with a driver on board.

As you may have expected, there has been a lot of interest in these vacancies. As a candidate on our waitlist, we are committed to ensuring that you receive regular updates and messages from our Recruitment team so look out for their emails.

Below is a case study of Emily, who gives a detailed account of the day to day job of a Night TubeTrain Operator

You do not need to contact us for now, we will be in touch when training slots become available.
Got this Email today too!

DD87

I got the same email- unlucky! Does anyone know what the benchmark is?? I emailed recruitment but they said they’re not giving feedback to external clients.

I heard they’re looking for more women drivers. I wonder if it’s that!

I've been de-pooled

Hello,

baz962

Established Member
I got the same email- unlucky! Does anyone know what the benchmark is?? I emailed recruitment but they said they’re not giving feedback to external clients.

I doubt it's a benchmark , it's just a generic answer.

bluegoblin7

Established Member

It isn't. A big push has been made to make the job more appealing to non-male-identifying people, and to remove some of the male-dominated culture on the front line, but that doesn't mean not giving men the job - which would be in breach of the Equality Act anyway.

Circumstances genuinely have changed since the position was announced, and there are less vacancies as a result.

jellybabyj

Anyone heard anything I still in the same place on the list not moved for 7 months lol but been told I will get a job just when they can’t say lol

Mikel

Hey guys, my friend at work who has a partner who works for Tfl in another capacity applied for the part time night tube job late last year. Because he is internal staff he's ahead of us externals. He starts his training in November!
My guess is externals will start their training next year March........I hope sooner though

KCJones

There's a lot of internals on the list, there is FOI out there with figures.

From what I've read approx 200 night tube drivers and 2 long waiting lists, hopefully They'll open another line for nights soon

oz220

Yea, unfortunately the original uptake from internals for the NT position was low.
I guess the assumption was that would be the same next time round. However as the internal we’re waiting so long to get into FT roles a lot decided it would be quicker to go PT first, thus meaning the number of external recruits needed was lower. TFL will generally look after the internals first which is why the externals on the list are waiting so long to get training dates.
For those in the job offer pool. Congrats and just know that one day you’ll be a train op even if it’s not as soon as you’d hope. But that phone call to give you a training day will come out of the blue and you’ll forget about all that waiting.

jellybabyj

I number 16 on the externals from March 2017 passed everything just waiting game I quite lucky that I have a decent job so I can affored to wait

adx

As of a few weeks ago there were 210 people on the waiting list (solely for night tube train op), made up of 123 internal and 87 external, the current campaign continues so numbers can still increase and apparently no one else will be placed into role this year.

Pete C

I guess maybe they're waiting for the completion of the 4LM project so they can bring night tube to SSL, they'll need loads more train ops then.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Hey what's the 4LM project? And SSL?

SSL (sometimes SSR) = Sub-Surface Lines (/Railway), the collective name for the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines.

4LM = Four Lines Modernisation, the name for the upgrade project for the SSL, largely now focussed on the introduction of the new CBTC signalling and, subsequently, Automatic Train Control (ATC).

CBTC = Communications Based Train Control, in this instance a flavour of Thales' SelTrac, not overly dissimilar from the signalling used on the Jubilee and Northern lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.