• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo (East Coast Trains) Class 803 Updates/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I wonder if that 1958 off Edinburgh will put a considerable dent in Sleeper traffic? 1830 is the last southbound at present.
Certainly useful for later travelling back south, and not too slow a working either compared to the typical extra stop late services - just over 5 hours.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Certainly useful for later travelling back south, and not too slow a working either compared to the typical extra stop late services - just over 5 hours.

Yeah, one key thing it does is to enable a day's work followed by a meal. With the very early outbound, business travellers who prefer not staying away from home will be able to do a viable single-day trip, which is definitely a hit on the airlines, who provided the only really viable way to do this before.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I wonder if that 1958 off Edinburgh will put a considerable dent in Sleeper traffic? 1830 is the last southbound at present.

Same for the last northbound. It will may take a few people off the sleeper seats. Doubt it will take many out of the beds.

Bob Price

Are they driver training at the moment? Just saw an ECS Hull Train pass Peterborough, Doncaster to KX.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yeah, one key thing it does is to enable a day's work followed by a meal. With the very early outbound, business travellers who prefer not staying away from home will be able to do a viable single-day trip, which is definitely a hit on the airlines, who provided the only really viable way to do this before.
Which is exactly the sort of business First wants to draw and good luck to them

RPI

Established Member
The problem I find with GWR is that often the trolley doesn't get to you because it's one trolley in a 9-car set, or one in a pair of 5-cars that has to stay in the front one so there is a competent member of staff there.

ECT will not suffer either of these issues as they have shorter trains and won't normally be doubling them up.

I'd personally rather a trolley than a buffet provided it passes my seat at least once per hour throughout the journey, and ideally quite soon after boarding.
For fear of going off topic but virtually all 10 cars are booked for at least one customer host in each set, though this quite often doesn't materialise at weekends!

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Those who find an 0105 King's Cross arrival useful! (Night Bus lovers...)

The Stevenage stop does provide a handy late Cambridge connection, which I can see a non-trivial number of people finding useful.

The main purpose of the very late service in each direction seems to be to make sure that at least one London morning starter finishes the day in Edinburgh and vice-versa, to cycle the stock.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Might not be an official connection but you could easily make the 0134 off Euston from that.

Especially as it's pathed via Hertford, and last pick up is Newcastle, so I can imagine it arriving very early on occasion if it runs Main Line throughout.

Did LNER consent to one of their trains being slowed down? It looks as if 1S93 1045 King's Cross to Edinburgh arriving 1517 has pushed the arrival of 1S13 1100 King's Cross to Edinburgh from 1519 in the current timetable to 1522 in May. I know it's only 3 minutes but seems surprising that they would permit an existing service to be slowed to allow a competitor to run.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Did LNER consent to one of their trains being slowed down? It looks as if 1S93 1045 King's Cross to Edinburgh arriving 1517 has pushed the arrival of 1S13 1100 King's Cross to Edinburgh from 1519 in the current timetable to 1522 in May. I know it's only 3 minutes but seems surprising that they would permit an existing service to be slowed to allow a competitor to run.

Not their decision, it's Network Rail's.

Network Rail will have had to do this in order to accommodate all operators with Track Access Rights. LNER are unlikely to have any contractual rights to journey times.

LNER could dispute this if they wanted to, if they think it is unfair or a better solution is possible.

James90012

The 10.53 southbound on a Sunday is a particularly attractive service, can see myself booking onto that in the future.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 2018 service for me might be helpful to reach Edinburgh, especially if I can pick up a reasonably priced city centre hotel close to the station (i.e. a Travelodge).

Although it will depend on pricing, likewise the early morning train on a Saturday

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The Stevenage stop does provide a handy late Cambridge connection, which I can see a non-trivial number of people finding useful.

There’s a big market from the Cambridge ‘economic area’ to Edinburgh: 1,700 a day use Easyjet from Stansted (pre Covid of course). Even if First only got a quarter of them, that’s a train filled.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Come to think of it, this was probably their exact line of reasoning for the very early and very late departures off of Edinburgh.
Quite possibly, though I don't think the timings would appeal only to business travellers, they would likely just be the main reasoning

TheBigD

Established Member
There’s a big market from the Cambridge ‘economic area’ to Edinburgh: 1,700 a day use Easyjet from Stansted (pre Covid of course). Even if First only got a quarter of them, that’s a train filled.
I'm not convince that they'll get much "Cambridge economic area" traffic from the proposed times, SX- 0610 and 1241 north from Stevenage and 1612 and 1958 south from Edinburgh, don't look that attractive to me. Once the May 22 recast happens and if they get better paths and more Stevenage calls it may be more appealing.

At the risk of veering off in to speculation, if the "Cambridge economic area" market is worth pursuing would a stop at St Neots (straight down the A428 from Cambridge and the new town of Cambourne) instead be a better bet?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm not convince that they'll get much "Cambridge economic area" traffic from the proposed times, SX- 0610 and 1241 north from Stevenage and 1612 and 1958 south from Edinburgh, don't look that attractive to me. Once the May 22 recast happens and if they get better paths and more Stevenage calls it may be more appealing.

At the risk of veering off in to speculation, if the "Cambridge economic area" market is worth pursuing would a stop at St Neots (straight down the A428 from Cambridge and the new town of Cambourne) instead be a better bet?

I was not as clear as I should have been. The area I refer to is where people who live or work (or both) that is reasonably easy to get to Cambridge and one of Stansted or Luton Airports. This is a fairly wide area, and for many (not all) a drive to Stevenage will be just as simple as a drive to one of the airports. And certainly cheaper or easier (or both) to park. Avoiding the airport security and waiting ‘experience’, plus a trip from the airport to destination the other end, which will more often than not be longer that a trip from Waverley, will bring the fly / train equation closer to the latter for some. That early train will beat the first flights from Luton or Stansted to Central Edinburgh, which the first LNER doesn’t.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Same for the last northbound. It will may take a few people off the sleeper seats. Doubt it will take many out of the beds.
If the 1936 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross which ran until 2020 didn't, it seems unlikely that the 1958 will do. Especially because by the time the 1958 commences one would expect LNER to respond by reintroducing the 1936.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Have there been any updates on interior layout? I assume it will be the usual layout, minus first class.

Status
Not open for further replies.