• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo (East Coast Trains) Class 803 Updates/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ83

Hopefully those seats will be better than the awful ones fitted to the TPE 397s, but from that first photo they don't look promising.

Guess its just going to be a case of wait and see, try them out for yourself.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
True. But the fact that it isn’t before 0700 is a big bonus.

likewise at the weekend going South i find the times better. The weekend was a pain as the connections on LNER were never the best. Going north it never put me off as a change at Newark isn’t too bad.

will see if the stop more post 2022 timetable restructuring. But the 1239 for me personally is a great time. With the 1545 from Edinburgh stopping as well, I will definitely give them a try for convenience.
Good point, I was admittedly thinking more in terms of frequency but the actual timings are rather more convenient than the LNER offering.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That amount of recline looks far too much.
Doesn't that depend on whether you are sitting back and relaxing or trying to work at the table? Aren't bolt upright seats one of the things people usually complain about?

irish_rail

On Moderation
I disagree. That looks a massive improvement on the bolt upright seats GWR passengers must suffer. Id take the seat on the 803 anyday, hopefully we may see something like that fitted on GWR eventually.

XAM2175

Established Member
Doesn't that depend on whether you are sitting back and relaxing or trying to work at the table? Aren't bolt upright seats one of the things people usually complain about?
Even when I'm not trying to use the table I find that being reclined that far becomes very uncomfortable very quickly. My preference is a lot closer to the degree of recline found (or, perhaps, not found) in second class on the 397s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Even when I'm not trying to use the table I find that being reclined that far becomes very uncomfortable very quickly. My preference is a lot closer to the degree of recline found (or, perhaps, not found) in second class on the 397s.

The Fainsa Sophia is a very upright seat. I suspect most people will not agree with you.

takno

Established Member
I'm struggling to tell for sure. I think it's probably less than the original Mk 3 seats, which were a bit much. Either way it's definitely going to be better for my back than the bolt-upright IET ones. I'm a bit concerned about the winged headrests though - they look like real shoulder-diggers for anybody over about 5 foot 10.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm struggling to tell for sure. I think it's probably less than the original Mk 3 seats, which were a bit much. Either way it's definitely going to be better for my back than the bolt-upright IET ones. I'm a bit concerned about the winged headrests though - they look like real shoulder-diggers for anybody over about 5 foot 10.

Yeah, I do fear them being a bit like Mk2 "winged" seats which did impact with my shoulders more than a bit!

Fyldeboy

I fully accept that I'm in the minority on this, but I had hoped for a bit more of a compromise.
But for a budget operator, competing with a government funded operator, there ain't much £££ room for fine tuning the product.

southern442

Established Member
I was also going to say that I think the seat pitching is a very bold move. I'm quite a small guy who actually finds Ashbourne seats comfortable (which I know is a VERY unpopular opinion), point being I can fit into any seat quite nicely and especially low pitched ones I find quite comfy, so these 803 seats would probably be great for me, but I would imagine a large number of people might not like them for the very same reasons.

Rick1984

Leg room still looks good. Armrest looks very cheap and those wings are MASSIVE!

mightyena

I mean the amount of recline on the IC70 seats was rivalled only by a deckchair, so that's not really saying much.

But I will say, I have a much better time the more upright the seats. IC70s cause me physical pain after a short while, and whichever ones are in the majority of Chiltern's 168s (I think the cab end of the DMSO has different seats?) cause me to ache a bit on a long journey. The most comfortable seats I've found are the Grammer ones found in Desiros - the 2+2 variant on the 350s and 444s is perfect, but even the 3+2 on the 450s is plenty comfy enough for a longer journey

takno

Established Member
But I will say, I have a much better time the more upright the seats. IC70s cause me physical pain after a short while, and whichever ones are in the majority of Chiltern's 168s (I think the cab end of the DMSO has different seats?) cause me to ache a bit on a long journey. The most comfortable seats I've found are the Grammer ones found in Desiros - the 2+2 variant on the 350s and 444s is perfect, but even the 3+2 on the 450s is plenty comfy enough for a longer journey
I'm the opposite. The uprightness of the IET seats is so bad that if I spend more than a couple of hours in them I end up with back pain for a couple of days.

Tony2

Does anyone have the car numbers and consist formation for these (car types)? Thanks for any information.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Does anyone have the car numbers and consist formation for these (car types)? Thanks for any information.
The Combined Volume gives:

803 001 as being formed:

841001 PDTS ( Pantograph Driving Tailer Standard )
842001 MS ( Motor Standard )
843001 MS
844001 MS
845001 PDTS

803 002 contains 841002, 842002 etc etc

Same pattern all the way through to 803 005.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

I've just joined in on this thread, and having a look at the link posted from Twitter I have to say I'm in agreement with you here.

I did Glasgow Central to Preston on a 397 last October, and overall I have to say it was not a bad product. OK sure, it wasn't the most comfortable, but I've sat on worse. The first couple of times, admittedly, on GWR IETs I did find discomfort after a good while, but overall I don't actually mind those seats. By the time I've done Hereford to Paddington on one, I am certainly ready to get off but that's after 3 hours sat down if not more, so that's hardly a bad thing. I don't tend to sit anywhere for that long without moving around, not even in my armchair do I sit for that long without getting up!

Obviously I'll give the 803s a fair shout when I first get on one, I mean it could be great for all I know. The ears on the seats are a concern, but again I'll see how I get on with them at the time.

Tony2

The Combined Volume gives:

803 001 as being formed:

841001 PDTS ( Pantograph Driving Tailer Standard )
842001 MS ( Motor Standard )
843001 MS
844001 MS
845001 PDTS

803 002 contains 841002, 842002 etc etc

Same pattern all the way through to 803 005.
Thanks Peter, much appreciated.

DanNCL

Established Member
803002 is doing daytime test runs today, working the following trips:
5Q61 09:05 Darlington - Newcastle https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K04021/2021-06-01/detailed
5Q62 10:03 Newcastle - London Kings Cross https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K04022/2021-06-01/detailed
5Q63 13:45 London Kings Cross - Darlington https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K06021/2021-06-01/detailed

There are paths on RTT for further such trips tomorrow, which I would assume will also be an 803:

02/06
5Q62 10:34 Darlington - London Kings Cross https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K06020/2021-06-02/detailed
5Q63 13:45 London Kings Cross - Newcastle https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K04023/2021-06-02/detailed
5Q64 18:18 Newcastle - Darlington https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:K04024/2021-06-02/detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.