• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2015 Timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evvy73

I've been reviewing the Southern timetable (mainly to check the times of my commuting trains) and it looks as though a few services have been cut from the morning peak (they are certainly not calling at Wivelsfield anyway! :( ).

It is mostly Victoria bound services that are affected. From what I can see:-

• 07:08 to LBG moved to 07:06
    07:13 to VIC **Cut from Timetable**
    07:17 to BDM moved to 07:15
    07:25 to LBG moved to 07:24
    07:35 to VIC **Cut from Timetable**
    07:39 to VIC moved to 07:38
    07:46 to VIC **Cut from Timetable**

I know I'm probably being selfish because Wivelsfield is my station, but I am struggling to understand this. There are in the region of 500 new houses being built on the North East side of Burgess Hill, which would have Wivelsfield as its nearest station, so you would expect usage to increase.
Add to that, Southern have just put in step free access on the down side (no idea what you are supposed to do if you're disabled and want to use the Up platform! :roll:), presumably to encourage use of the station, yet they are cutting the London bound services in the peak!

---UPDATE---
Just read the statement from Southern on their Website. They state "We believe these additional changes will further improve performance overall.". Hmmmm - so because of your recent poor performance figures you are reducing the number of trains that you'll be running in the hope that the few that are still running will be on time? Doesn't matter that your passengers will be crammed in even more than they currently are though does it?!
I wonder if I can get a 42% reduction on my season ticket as they have cut the number of services by 42%?? #Sarcasm #FrustratedCommuter

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've been reviewing the Southern timetable (mainly to check the times of my commuting trains) and it looks as though a few services have been cut from the morning peak (they are certainly not calling at Wivelsfield anyway! :( ).

It is mostly Victoria bound services that are affected. From what I can see:-

• 07:08 to LBG moved to 07:06
    07:13 to VIC **Cut from Timetable**
    07:17 to BDM moved to 07:15
    07:25 to LBG moved to 07:24
    07:35 to VIC **Cut from Timetable**
    07:39 to VIC moved to 07:38
    07:46 to VIC **Cut from Timetable**

I know I'm probably being selfish because Wivelsfield is my station, but I am struggling to understand this. There are in the region of 500 new houses being built on the North East side of Burgess Hill, which would have Wivelsfield as its nearest station, so you would expect usage to increase.
Add to that, Southern have just put in step free access on the down side (no idea what you are supposed to do if you're disabled and want to use the Up platform! :roll:), presumably to encourage use of the station, yet they are cutting the London bound services in the peak!

---UPDATE---
Just read the statement from Southern on their Website. They state "We believe these additional changes will further improve performance overall.". Hmmmm - so because of your recent poor performance figures you are reducing the number of trains that you'll be running in the hope that the few that are still running will be on time? Doesn't matter that your passengers will be crammed in even more than they currently are though does it?!
I wonder if I can get a 42% reduction on my season ticket as they have cut the number of services by 42%?? #Sarcasm #FrustratedCommuter
I see the 6.56 Gatwick Express service from Brighton has been removed. It is still running from Gatwick at around 7.35 though. When I've travelled on the trains I've tended to find the congestion seems to occur towards East Croydon, rather than between Gatwick Airport and Brighton.

Saying that there must be a good reason to cancel it between Brighton and Gatwick Airport because they wouldn't do it otherwise.

I see most Gatwick Express trains are timetabled to take longer to Victoria. So instead of 31 minutes, it's 34 minutes.

The 7.41 from Haywards Heath to Victoria is given an extra minute to reach Clapham Junction, which should partly help, although it's average delay for the last 100 days is 4.5 minutes.
http://recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/...MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2&MxArCl=5

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I see the 6.56 Gatwick Express service from Beighton has been removed. It is still running from Gatwick at around 7.35 though. When I've travelled on the trains I've tended to find the congestion seems to occur towards East Croydon, rather than between Gatwick Airport and Brighton.

Saying that there must be a good reason to cancel it between Brighton and Gatwick Airport because they wouldn't do it otherwise.

I see most Gatwick Express trains are timetabled to take longer to Victoria. So instead of 31 minutes, it's 34 minutes.

The 7.41 from Haywards Heath to Victoria is given an extra minute to reach Clapham Junction, which should partly help, although it's average delay for the last 100 days is 4.5 minutes.
http://recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/...MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2&MxArCl=5

I assume this is a typo and is meant to be Brighton.

Furthermore, I believe Beighton is near Sheffield. This would have made a new Intercity service from Gatwick Airport to points in Yorkshire.

In peace

Adam

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Quite an odd one this, but RTT backs it up: Hartford and Penkridge now get half-hourly services... southbound only.

gnolife

Established Member
Quite an odd one this, but RTT backs it up: Hartford and Penkridge now get half-hourly services... southbound only.

I'm not in a position to check, but are you saying that northbound services have been withdrawn, leaving them with southbound services every half hour, or that there is a half hourly southbound and an hourly northbound service. Also, does this change affect Winsford or Acton Bridge at all?

berneyarms

Established Member
I'm not in a position to check, but are you saying that northbound services have been withdrawn, leaving them with southbound services every half hour, or that there is a half hourly southbound and an hourly northbound service. Also, does this change affect Winsford or Acton Bridge at all?

He is saying the latter - a half hourly southbound and an hourly northbound service.

The other two stations do not have a similar issue.

Very odd!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Yeah, sorry, should have been clearer. As things are, Penkridge and Hartford have hourly services each way, but from the timetable change this increases to half-hourly (i.e. all LM services calling), but only in the southbound direction. Winsford remains hourly and Acton Bridge remains sporadic. My thanks to berneyarms for clearing it up too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Boo! No more fast journeys from Runcorn to Crewe on the xx04 LIV-BHMs :( I love the non-stop run on that sector, as I've mentioned a few times in my trip reports.

Purely selfish I know, before you all start moaning! At least on the bright side, Hartford will be a darn sight easier to get marked off in the Baker now. That one will be getting done on the next Great Escape for sure now!

Philip C

Does anyone have any idea why the Network Rail website still hasn't got the new passenger timetable uploaded? I have e-mailed them to enquire as what the problem might be and have received no answer.

This is one of those times when I despair of the basic competence of modern management to do something which was routinely done, without fuss, by their predecessors!

berneyarms

Established Member
One would assume it is associated with the late sign off of the Southern timetable, caused by all of the problems associated with London Bridge.

These were signed off after the normal deadline.

Last edited:

Darren R

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea why the Network Rail website still hasn't got the new passenger timetable uploaded? I have e-mailed them to enquire as what the problem might be and have received no answer.

This is one of those times when I despair of the basic competence of modern management to do something which was routinely done, without fuss, by their predecessors!

To be fair, BR weren't exactly renowned for the efficient and predictable appearance of their all-line timetable - and nor was it renowned for its accuracy when it was published! :lol:

MichaelAMW

According to this publication schedule:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables-and-travel/timetable-production-schedule.pdf

it was supposed to be Sunday. My pretty firm memory is that the original privatisation "rules" required the full GBTT to (i) be available to the public, i.e. at all; and (ii) be available a month in advance. The first of these seems to have been stuck to but the second not. However, since this was, I suppose, a requirement on Railtrack it's ancient history now.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's an oddity in the Virgin timetable for Wrexham (paper version) from September.
The through Voyager unit (joins/splits at Chester) runs as now in the morning, but is shown as a through service in the evening only on Fridays.
On Mon-Thur it says change at Chester for a replacement bus service.

The ATW paper timetable shows none of this, with the train running Mon-Fri as now.
Nor does there seem to be any change to ATW's own evening services.

Notes in the VT timetable (1810 Euston-Holyhead/Wrexham):
Also calls Nuneaton 1913; from 7 September through carriages to
Wrexham General only run on Fridays; on Mondays toThursdays
change at Chester for Rail Replacement Coach to Wrexham arriving

Is this something to do with the line redoubling?
If so you would have expected ATW services to be affected too.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There's an oddity in the Virgin timetable for Wrexham (paper version) from September.
The through Voyager unit (joins/splits at Chester) runs as now in the morning, but is shown as a through service in the evening only on Fridays.
On Mon-Thur it says change at Chester for a replacement bus service.

The ATW paper timetable shows none of this, with the train running Mon-Fri as now.
Nor does there seem to be any change to ATW's own evening services.

Notes in the VT timetable (1810 Euston-Holyhead/Wrexham):

Is this something to do with the line redoubling?
If so you would have expected ATW services to be affected too.

According to RTT and Journey Planner through train SX

1D93 1910 Euston to Holyhead terminates at Chester on Monday to Thursday from 07 September 2015.

1D92 1810 Euston to Holyhead is ten coaches through to Holyhead to balance sets.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
According to RTT and Journey Planner through train SX

September is too far ahead for the online planners to be reliable though, isn't it?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1D93 1910 Euston to Holyhead terminates at Chester on Monday to Thursday from 07 September 2015.
1D92 1810 Euston to Holyhead is ten coaches through to Holyhead to balance sets.

Maybe it's something to do with the NW coast resignalling project then, to have an earlier evening finish for overnight engineering work.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
September is too far ahead for the online planners to be reliable though, isn't it?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Maybe it's something to do with the NW coast resignalling project then, to have an earlier evening finish for overnight engineering work.

I'm afraid I read the post too quickly and missed the September bit. Too early yet, as you say, for systems.

MK Tom

Established Member
I caught the 20:46 Euston to Crewe via Birmingham last night - is this a new service? I wasn't aware of Milton Keynes Central having direct services to Tipton, Coseley and Penkridge before!

LLivery

Established Member
Am I the only one finding it hard to find new timetables at stations this year? Two days ago I was a Paddington and thought I'd pick up the new InterCity tables. Nothing. All they had was the current ones. London Overground had them a few weeks ago at some stations and now can't seem to find one. Southern are non existent and while I've got a AGA West Anglia, there were no GE ones a couple weeks back, though I hope to get one tomorrow from Liv St or Norwich. SWT seem to be the only one promoting the new timetables.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The new rail timetable is now available on the Network Rail site.

Despite the late publication, Table 82 doesn't reflect the Farnworth Tunnel timetable.
The TPE changes are in, but the Northern times look wrong to me.
There are Huddersfield-Bolton-Wigan trains in there, and weekend services via Bolton.
Continuing a long tradition, there is no mention of the major engineering work on this route.
(There is no mention of it on the Table 125 GW main line either, where major blockades are planned).

Table 81 confirms the early shut-down of the North Wales main line on Mon-Thur evenings (from about 2030) from September 7.
Later trains only run on Fridays.
If this is for resignalling work it is unusually disruptive.

steamybrian

Established Member
A look at the new timetable for South Eastern trains and I have found-
Charing Cross and Waterloo Eastern are reopened on Sundays.

Some late night trains from Charing Cross are running via Cannon Street thus providing a regular passenger service over the spur between Metropolitan Jn and Cannon Street for the first time since ?????? many, many years ago. It has of course been used irregularly during engineering works diversions. Trains I have found using this route are
2345 SX Charing Cross to Hastings
0002 MX Charing Cross to Dartford
0015 MX Charing Cross to Tonbridge
0018 MX Charing Cross to Gillingham
0023 MX Charing Cross to Dartford
0048 MX Charing Cross to Orpington
....there may be others and I have not yet checked weekends..

Philip C

A look at the new timetable for South Eastern trains and I have found-
Charing Cross and Waterloo Eastern are reopened on Sundays.

Some late night trains from Charing Cross are running via Cannon Street thus providing a regular passenger service over the spur between Metropolitan Jn and Cannon Street for the first time since ?????? many, many years ago. It has of course been used irregularly during engineering works diversions. Trains I have found using this route are
2345 SX Charing Cross to Hastings
0002 MX Charing Cross to Dartford
0015 MX Charing Cross to Tonbridge
0018 MX Charing Cross to Gillingham
0023 MX Charing Cross to Dartford
0048 MX Charing Cross to Orpington
....there may be others and I have not yet checked weekends..

I think you will find that some of these trains (possibly all) are not new to the May 2015 timetable. The 2345 Hastings train has been going via Cannon Street since January 11th.

Am I correct in thinking that the opposite routeing (ie. from Cannon Street to Charing Cross) is no longer possible, without wrong line working, since the track realignment a few weeks ago - or was the trailing crossover at the western end of the Metropolitan Junction layout reinstated?

dk1

Veteran Member
I caught the 20:46 Euston to Crewe via Birmingham last night - is this a new service? I wasn't aware of Milton Keynes Central having direct services to Tipton, Coseley and Penkridge before!

The new timetable doesn't start until next week so probably has been running since last December.

D6975

Established Member
Despite the late publication, Table 82 doesn't reflect the Farnworth Tunnel timetable.
The TPE changes are in, but the Northern times look wrong to me.
There are Huddersfield-Bolton-Wigan trains in there, and weekend services via Bolton.
Continuing a long tradition, there is no mention of the major engineering work on this route.
(There is no mention of it on the Table 125 GW main line either, where major blockades are planned).

Table 81 confirms the early shut-down of the North Wales main line on Mon-Thur evenings (from about 2030) from September 7.
Later trains only run on Fridays.
If this is for resignalling work it is unusually disruptive.

I've downloaded it and had a quick look.
I predict an updated release in the near future, I found loads of errors/omissions in just a few minutes.

Take a look at table 100 for example. The changes due to the loco hauleds aren't fully implemented.

Class 170101

Established Member

I think from memory LM joined two services up to make a through train.

headshot119

Established Member

It's far too early to judge if that is true. ATW timetable show's it as a through service throughout the new timetable period.

Then again I'm hearing strong rumours the NWC resignalling is being pushed back again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.