• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Megabus Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Looks like megabus are going posh:

http://andysbusblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/stagecoach-announce-new-megabus-gold.html

Stagecoach today (Thursday 18 April) announced it is to launch a major network of overnight sleepercoach services from Scotland to London this summer using a £5m fleet of specially designed vehicles.

The fleet of 10 new coaches, equipped with a clever interior layout that allows the leather seats to be converted into lie-flat beds, will operate overnight seven days a week.

Sleepercoach services will link London with Aberdeen, Aviemore, Cumbernauld, Dundee, Dunfermline Edinburgh, Falkirk, Ferrytoll park and ride in Fife, Glasgow Inverness and Perth.

The services will provide more than 1,700 lie-flat beds between Scotland and London every single week.

The state-of-the-art double-deck coaches measure in at 15 metres long and boast luxury leather seats with tables, power sockets, free Wi-Fi and a toilet. The specially designed vehicles have 53 seats that convert into 42 beds.

Customers will receive complimentary refreshments during their journey as well as a sleeper kit which includes an eye mask, a toothbrush and toothpaste. In addition, as a pilot, passengers will also be given a choice of a blanket or a onesie to sleep in during their journey.

Prices on the new services will range from £15 to £60. Journey times are comparable to existing sleeper train services, with customers able to make the trip from both Edinburgh and Glasgow to London in less than eight hours.

Not that might make quite an impression on the cheaper end of the Rail sleeper services.

http://www.megabusgold.com/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the upper bunks look very narrow? And presumably on the lower bunks on the "2" side of the aisle there's only one, wider, bed?

What's happened with the sleeper service that was launched last year using articulated sleeper coaches?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What's happened with the sleeper service that was launched last year using articulated sleeper coaches?

Still going every night between Glasgow and London. A quick look shows prices around £35/45 a journey for travel in the next week or two.

richardderby

obvoiusly the horrible Mr Souter is still bitter not to run the scottish sleeper trains, after they pulled out in the early 1990's. this wil have little or no impact on the First Scotrail sleepers, as whatever spin is put out, it is aimed at the very low end of the market. at least in a sleeper cabin, you can lock the door from your fellow travellers and you have a comfy bed to sleep in...

radamfi

Established Member
However on a Sleeper train you sometimes have to share your cabin unless you go First Class. I feel safer on the existing bendy coach Megabus sleeper to be honest.

Liam

Established Member

mbonwick

Established Member
Beds on the Astromega TDX29s appear to be 2+1 like the seats, but with curtains in between.

These Van Hools will replace the B10MAs which will stay to provide extra capacity when needed.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Beds on the Astromega TDX29s appear to be 2+1 like the seats, but with curtains in between.

These Van Hools will replace the B10MAs which will stay to provide extra capacity when needed.

its to be hoped theres a certain amount of common sense employed when loading with the single beds being given to loan and particularly loan female travelers with the 2 together allocated to people together esp cupples.
On a side note these will take over the Citylink Gold daytime work in Scotland too. I'll bet Parks arnt happy!

Volvodart

Established Member
On a side note these will take over the Citylink Gold daytime work in Scotland too. I'll bet Parks arnt happy!

They do not have enough sleeper coaches in the right places at the right times to fully take over from Parks, unless they are to reduce the number of gold services to/from Aberdeen and Inverness.

Ivo

Established Member
Like the idea or not, this was going to happen eventually. The Gold concept has proven enough of a success among the bus division for it to be worth a try on Megabus - and what better route to go for than the sleeper? May well entice the odd passenger off the Caley...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
what's the website for the Megabus sleeper?

You just book on the normal megabus.com site but instead of the picture of Sid the driver smiling at you get a pic of him sleeping. Which is worrying.
They're also usually about £20 more than any other services including the seated overnight ones.

telstarbox

Established Member
Given that coach operations are much more flexible than rail routes, hopefully new coach sleeper routes can be trialled in the future eg South Wales - Scotland or South West - Midlands.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
its to be hoped theres a certain amount of common sense employed when loading with the single beds being given to loan and particularly loan female travelers with the 2 together allocated to people together esp cupples.

According to this review, the allocation is lone females at the front (nearest the driver), couples in the middle and lone males at the back, which makes sense.

Last edited:

MK Tom

Established Member
Megabus should try it on their routes to Amsterdam & Paris

Wouldn't really work. You'd have to get up at London and again at Dover (or Calais on the way back). Then sit on a ferry for 90 minutes. Plus half those services run during the daytime.

anthony263

Established Member
Already seen one of these at the depot in Cwmbran looking all nice and shinny.

These coaches will find use during the daytime on London - Cardiff/Plymouth services.

Pretty much this will mean unless something goes wrong all the megabus services between south wales & London will be formed of double deck coaches with the exception of the 2300 London - Cardiff and 0400 Cardiff - London services which should be worked by single deck coaches and quite often this has be worked by a citylink liveried volvo

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
obvoiusly the horrible Mr Souter is still bitter not to run the scottish sleeper trains, after they pulled out in the early 1990's. this wil have little or no impact on the First Scotrail sleepers, as whatever spin is put out, it is aimed at the very low end of the market. at least in a sleeper cabin, you can lock the door from your fellow travellers and you have a comfy bed to sleep in...

Please. Not that again.

Love him or loathe him, Souter has done very well in the bus industry and is well respected. His empire's railway undertakings may not be very passenger-friendly, and he spouts questionable views in other areas, however no one can deny his contributions to the bus industry over the years and Stagecoach group are unquestionably at the forefront of innovation - something many of their rivals lack - and they are jolly good at it.

Like you said, it is a service aimed largely at the lower end of the market, with possibly a small overlap with the Caledonian sleeper. I won't be surprised though if in the long run they manage to win over some passengers. The Cally Sleeper can usually be quite pricey if you cannot get hold of a Bargain Berth.

Last time I checked, you do not need to be bitter against your rivals to launch a competing service.

Btw I wouldn't exactly call a bed on the Cally Sleeper comfy, especially if compared in isolation with a bed on one of those overnight sleeper coaches. It is privacy and security that I am mainly after when I use the sleeper trains.

notadriver

Established Member
Interesting. Is it possible to build private compartments on the vehicle like the Caledonian sleeper ? How many could be fitted on a 15 metre double decker coach ?

quarella

Interesting. Is it possible to build private compartments on the vehicle like the Caledonian sleeper ? How many could be fitted on a 15 metre double decker coach ?

Whilst theoretically possible what would be the weight penalty and would a new Certificate of Initial Fitness be required.

howittpie

If the prices are set right I think it may take more than a few of the cally sleeper I have used the bendy sleepers a few times and have met a number of regular passengers that have mooved from the train to the coach because of the cost.

On a side I have noticed a change recently with the tyoe of passenger on the early Manchester-London at 0400 as number of suited business people have boarded each time I have travelled so it may attract more than the low end market.

overthewater

Established Member
I have seen tourist, students, two friends off to some funuel, and others. Its unfair to say only low point of people use this.

MK Tom

Established Member
It'd be wrong to think only the poor use cheap products. We all like to have more money than we do. It's perfectly logical for someone who can afford first class train travel to still use Megabus so they can spend all that extra money on something else.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
plus, we all love a bargain, although I'll draw the limit at Bucharest-Sofia overnight seated (rail) coach which closely resembled a sauna

radamfi

Established Member
On a side I have noticed a change recently with the tyoe of passenger on the early Manchester-London at 0400 as number of suited business people have boarded each time I have travelled so it may attract more than the low end market.

I can believe that because you get to London much earlier than on the first sensibly priced train.

tbtc

Veteran Member
It'd be wrong to think only the poor use cheap products. We all like to have more money than we do. It's perfectly logical for someone who can afford first class train travel to still use Megabus so they can spend all that extra money on something else.

True - we live in a world where you see a cross representation of society in ALDI - there's not the same "barriers" any more

anthony263

Established Member
Megabus have gotten very popular over the last few years in fact the new double deck coaches on the Cardiff - London megabus route which are fitted with power sockets and free wi-fi have proven to be very attractive for a lot of business users. You also have tables downstairs which is good if you are working on a laptop.

National express have been playing catch up for the last few years and the new levate's operated by Edwards coaches on national express services are very comfortable, shame the wi-fi isnt as good as that offered by megabus.

Stagecoach are recruiting extra drivers for megabus service in south wales with a possibly of more services running west of Cardiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.