• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Guard on Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
Well now you mention it. If you look at the process before he got to court and what went on with his Solicitors they were very worried about this matter.
If he (the Guard )looked down the side of the train and saw the girl leaning on the train and thought F*** you ,you silly C*** your ****ed if you fall down the side of the train and get killed it's your own fault. It might well have been a murder charge. But, when interviewed by the police he would not answer questions and read from a prepared statement saying he THOUGHT she was moving away from the train, and then he went no comment from that point onwards.

And he had his head out of the window because he wanted to see the moment she was killed and revel in it...? :roll:

Read the judge's remarks in sentencing, he clearly doesn't agree with that view at all.

As an aside, though I think the sentence is a bit harsh, the reasoning of the judge is quite fair if you read the remarks in sentencing. Also gives you an appreciation of the evidence that was heard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

amcluesent

Anyone know who funded the Guard's counsel? Was it a duty solicitor or did his Union pay for the defence?

dstrat

The guard let the train go when it wasn't clear and somebody died as a result.

Anything else about the guard or girl is just details! The whole point of the two bells is surely to state that its ok to proceed because such an incident that actually happened was not likely to occur...but look what happened.

bnm

Established Member
Anyone know who funded the Guard's counsel? Was it a duty solicitor or did his Union pay for the defence?

Not sure this bears any relevance to the how the trial progressed. And I'd be interested to know your take if a union was involved. There could be some subtext to your post.

But is it not possible that Christopher McGee, being in full time employment on an above the UK average wage, was able to fund his own defence?

That there has been no public statements (at present) from any union Mr McGee may have been a member of does perhaps rather suggest that they had little or no input into his defence.

The sentencing remarks from Mr Justice Holroyde make it clear that there was no issue with the training Mr McGee received from his employer. If there was then I have no doubt any union he may have been a member of would have been more involved in the case.

falcon

Legal fees will be ASLEF.Normal procedure he would have had a union solicitor not a duty solicitor(normally a legal clerk).

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
ASLEF routinely use a solicitors firm called Thompsons. As Mr McGhee was a guard then he would have probably been in the RMT, I dont know if they have a similar arrangement with a firm of solicitors but I suspect they do. I am not a member of the RMT, but again, I strongly suspect they would have aided Mr McGhee with his legal fees in this case. Things like this are one of the main reasons unions still exist.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
ASLEF routinely use a solicitors firm called Thompsons. As Mr McGhee was a guard then he would have probably been in the RMT, I dont know if they have a similar arrangement with a firm of solicitors but I suspect they do. I am not a member of the RMT, but again, I strongly suspect they would have aided Mr McGhee with his legal fees in this case. Things like this are one of the main reasons unions still exist.

Yes, this is one of the main benefits expected for a member of a union. It is one of the selling points!

12CSVT

Established Member
Much has been said in this thread about Mr McGhee receiving regular briefings / training on safe operation of trains, however it wouldn't surprise me if he also had regular briefings about the 'importance' of minimising delays and departing from stations on time during his 20 years on the railway.

do you not make the CD/RA flash then? Sure I remember the WAGN guys doing that at The Cross to stop him from moving off.

Depends on the CD/RA equipment. In some places once you put CD up, it stays there until you put RA up. That in turn stays there until the train passes the signal and puts it back to danger.

falcon

He was in ASLEF not RMT.

anthony263

Established Member
Disgusted by Paula Redmond's statement and would very much like to knock some sense into her, better yet put her on Jeremy Kyle and get him to give her some hard truths.

I certainly never got drunk and never took drugs when I was a teenager as many didnt either and certainly this statement given by Paula Redmond gives teenager a bad name

Yes this guard has made a mistake however the blame mostly rests with the stupid young woman (I would have called her other names but forum rules prevent me from doing so)

sevenhills

But is it not possible that Christopher McGee, being in full time employment on an above the UK average wage, was able to fund his own defence?

It was interesting that the judge said Mcgee was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder and depression; perhaps this could result in it going to appeal and him having his sentence reduced by saying that had he been of sound mind he would have pleaded giulty?

bnm

Established Member
Disgusted by Paula Redmond's statement and would very much like to knock some sense into her, better yet put her on Jeremy Kyle and get him to give her some hard truths.

I certainly never got drunk and never took drugs when I was a teenager as many didnt either and certainly this statement given by Paula Redmond gives teenager a bad name

Yes this guard has made a mistake however the blame mostly rests with the stupid young woman (I would have called her other names but forum rules prevent me from doing so)

Have you bothered to read the judges' sentencing remarks?

Neither Georgia Varley or her mother were on trial. Regarding Jeremy Kyle, even he wouldn't stoop so low as to 'knock some sense' (what a crass choice of words, by the way) into a grieving mother on national television. I don't agree with what Georgia Varley's mother said after the verdict, but I perfectly understand her emotions and reasons for saying what she said.

What you did or didn't do as a teenager has no relevance whatsoever to this case.

As for saying you would call Georgia Varley other names in addition to 'stupid'. Shame on you.

Clip

Established Member
Much has been said in this thread about Mr McGhee receiving regular briefings / training on safe operation of trains, however it wouldn't surprise me if he also had regular briefings about the 'importance' of minimising delays and departing from stations on time during his 20 years on the railway.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from its a moot point. As ANG has said on page 3/4 the rules and regs are there to be obeyed.Full stop.

chuckles1066

But getting drunk and taking drugs is very much the de facto position of a very large number of UK youths today. And the girls are worse than the boys.

You're making the mistake of judging today's standards with those that were acceptable 30 years ago.

You're all going to hell in a handcart......none of which helps the guard who has been imprisoned, of course. But in Jellyfish Britain in 2012, no-one is accountable for their actions and someone is always to blame.

John55

Are you aware of legal costs in the UK? The defence was in the hands of a QC and they come at thousands of pounds per day for court appearances and that doesn't include the solicitors fees etc.

bnm

Established Member
Are you aware of legal costs in the UK? The defence was in the hands of a QC and they come at thousands of pounds per day for court appearances and that doesn't include the solicitors fees etc.

You'll note that the part of my post that you quoted was a question. I've no idea what it costs to mount a defence in a manslaughter case. That's why I was asking.

I'm also not a member of a rail union so have no idea what legal funding is in place for members should they find themselves in the same position as Christopher McGee.

Subsequent posts have given me some pointers.

Whilst I said that there had been no comment from any union and I drew a conclusion from that, what I posted was in the spirit of enquiring further and learning.

amcluesent

Excellent find.

Certainly knocks into cocked-hat the opinions that the girl herself was to blame for her death!

Not sure this bears any relevance to the how the trial progressed

Just wondering who persuaded him to plead not guilty. The solicitor was obviously trying to be cute in having the Guard 'no comment' all police questions after giving them a written statement.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I think it's blatantly obvious that this guy is trolling, saying controversial things to provoke a reaction. The kind of unintelligent rantings about the guard being a berk are devaluing the thread. In any case, what more is there to be said that hasn't already? Until the RAIB report appears, I don't see the point in continuing.

Hang on a minute, are you saying that because I have an opinion that is different to yours I'm therefore 'trolling'? Good grief. I can understand the need to try and defend your own (no matter how futile that might be) but this is taking the Mickey!

Let’s face facts; the actions of a guard caused an innocent young girl to be robbed of her life. Is that what you call trolling?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well I'm sure Georgia Varley's grieving mother would be delighted to hear of your sentiments. I think the fact that you advocate the Jeremy Kyle style of Kangaroo Court says it all really. That programme represents all that is wrong with our society, watched by those who can't be bothered to get off their backsides.

Captain Chaos

Whilst I cannot defend the actions of the Guard in this at all (we are always told that as Guards safety is our main priority) I am slightly surprised how people can say that the girls actions didn't contribute to these tragic events given the state she was in.

People should always be held accountable for their actions. The guard has been judged in this case and sentence passed. The girl has paid a high price with her life. I cannot help but feel that if she had drunk less and hadn't taken illegal substances she would not have been in such a state and maybe wouldn't have found herself in the situation she came to be in the first place. I know people will disagree with me on that. That's fine. I could be right. I could be wrong. Who knows?

This whole case is tragic. There are no winners. Everyone's a loser. Hopefully the RAIB report can shed some light on the full circumstances and the recommendations can help make what I have great confidence in calling an already safe industry even safer. Not just to safeguard the staff but for the benefit of everyone. Maybe then we can all try and take something positive from this tragedy.

richw

Veteran Member
The guards actions indeed contributed to her death, and has in my views been correctly charged. but also those who supplied her with the alcohol and drugs must also be called to liability, as if she wasn't supplied with this would she of leant against a train. These however do not change the fact the guard breaching health and safety was the main factor in the girls death.

Pumbaa

Established Member

He was in ASLEF and represented by Thompsons. RMT were heavily involved as they represent guards more.

AlexS

Established Member
What should be made clear, yet again, is that the railwaymen posting seem to be pretty united in their opinion that the guard got it well and truly wrong and has paid the price. You used to be asked, and still are in some places, if you sign for the grade are you willing to stand up for your actions in court. This chap has and has been found wanting. Those of us who do, should keep it in mind at all times at work.

swj99

Nothing in this picture shows that she was remotely leaning against the door.
Doesn’t fit my definition of leaning either.

Society is well on the way down a slippery slope here. By attempting to defend the actions of someone who was drunk and on drugs, society, and by society I mean the courts, the legislators and the nanny state amongst others, are excusing degenerate behaviour, and sending out an entirely wrong message which suggests that people who are under the influence of drugs and / or alcohol are somehow not responsible for what they do, or what happens to them. In criminal trials in the crown court, some barristers are more persuasive than others, and the outcome of a case can depend on which particular version of events the jury is persuaded to believe on the day, based on what ‘spin’ is put on the opposing versions of events in a defended criminal trial. Even though the British legal system is said to be one of the best in the world, the outcomes of criminal trials are still very much based on opinions formed by jury members. Those opinions become officially recorded as verdicts unless or until they are overturned on appeal to a higher court.

I agree that there are occasions where people need to be protected from their own stupidity, but like charity, I believe the responsibility for this begins at home. Sadly, some parents these days don’t know any better themselves and as such are not capable of understanding the risks and dangers.

The reality is that we as a society can only go so far in our attempts to protect people from danger, their own ignorance, stupidity, life, the world, or whatever. Beyond that, and if taken to the extremes it appears to be heading towards, it begins to get ridiculous. For example, there is nothing to physically prevent a drunk person, (or anyone else for that matter) from gaining access to the tracks via a level crossing and taking a short cut along a railway line. If they were to do this they might get hit by a train, or in 3rd rail land, electrocuted. Common sense dictates that this could be avoided by them not being so bloody silly in the first place, but the way things are going now in this BSE (blame someone else) compensation culture, is that there must be someone else to blame. The question is, how far do we have to go before everything in the whole country is bolted down, fenced off, covered in yellow chevron tape, you can see where this is going. England will be so safe it will be like living in a padded cell.
Anyone remember Alexei Sayle on the episode of the Young Ones when he turned into the axe wielding homicidal maniac, and said, “Boys and girls go out to play, on a busy motorway !” ? I’m just waiting for someone to get run over trying it, and then blaming the BBC for broadcasting it. And why not, I mean, if the gutter press is to be believed, the BBC is to blame for everything that happened since the early 1970s.

Another aspect of this case now that a verdict has been reached is that although various possible scenarios are likely to have been presented to the court, the only one which is given credibility now is the one which is in accordance with the verdict, ie that the guard acted improperly and accordingly is guilty. As has been quite correctly stated elsewhere in this thread, unless anyone from here was actually in court, we can only speculate on what was said, what the video footage shows, and what other evidence might be relevant.

The RAIB report may make things clearer. I hope the Guard appeals; this case probably needs that further consideration by a more senior court to ensure that the law is seen to be properly applied.

At the time of writing, the RAIB report isn’t yet available for public consumption on their website, and I’ll be reading it with interest when it is.

The truth of the matter is, whilst we do have a duty of care towards the safety of passengers, the passengers themselves should also bear some of that responsibility towards their own safe being.

Totally agree. In civil law there is a concept called Contributory Negligence. She wasn’t on trial because she is dead, but that poor girl has paid the highest price for her own contribution to her untimely demise.

One last thing. The verdict was reached by a jury in a crown court. Only the members of that jury can possibly know exactly how they reached that verdict, and what evidence they believed or disregarded. A different jury on a different day might have reached a different verdict on the same evidence. So yes, he is technically guilty at the moment, but there is still the possibility of an appeal against the conviction.

Established Member
I think the RMT and ASLEF both use Thompson's don't they?

Thompsons are really good. Average RMT barrister hired is around £1,900 per day. A good reason for all of us to be in a union, should things go wrong.

Seen one RMT barrister at tribunal create a clever perjury trap that a company manager walked right into - got the nasty piece of work a police caution & stripped of his part-time magistrate duties. :lol:

arabianights

Views of a layman:

I think I should point out to you chaps that speaking as someone who took an awful lot of mephedrone (before it was made illegal due to a silly scare campaign by the red tops) the amount detected in her body was absolutely miniscule, suggestive of it having been taken a few days before. She would not have been under the influence of it then.

This was entirely alcohol caused.

By the way my opinion - and it is an ethical/moral one, I make no legal criticism of the legal process - is that locking this poor man up serves no purpose and the responsibility is primarily hers. Yes, he had a duty towards her as a professional in a safety oriented job. But for me* legal penalties should only be for restitution (which is not revenge), rehabilitation, and sometimes deterrence - and I am skeptical of deterrence as having much long term effect in this case upon the individual. If anyone should have been punished it should have been merseyrail and their procedures tightened up.

It is not illegal to give a 16 year old alcohol in most circumstances.

*Based upon my general philisophical position of free will being an illusion, but consciousness being a real phenomena

Ferret

Established Member
Hang on a minute, are you saying that because I have an opinion that is different to yours I'm therefore 'trolling'? Good grief. I can understand the need to try and defend your own (no matter how futile that might be) but this is taking the Mickey!

Let’s face facts; the actions of a guard caused an innocent young girl to be robbed of her life. Is that what you call trolling?

Several intelligent and knowledgeable people have posted in this thread, explaining exactly why the Guard was *legally* responsible, and why the deceased contributed to her own demise. And then all of a sudden, you pop up - and start posting controversial comments. The very definition of trolling.

I'm sorry, but the majority of contributers to this thread understand the issues at hand perfectly well, and a handful of unintelligent contributions from yourself aren't going to change our minds. With all due respect, you're making a fool of yourself, but then what does it matter? You're sat behind the anonymity of a keyboard and there'll be no comeback.

Now, you may be wondering why I've called you unintelligent. Well, just so as you know - the answer can be found in the several posts I've made during this thread. The ones where I've criticised the guard for giving two on the buzzer, and stating that the train was not safely dispatched, and that therefore, the jury reached the only verdict open to them. But yet, still you accuse me of defending my own? Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

sevenhills

Views of a layman:

It is not illegal to give a 16 year old alcohol in most circumstances.

I understand that she drank alcohol at someones house, and then went on a drinking session at local pubs?
If I got a 16 year old blind drunk, so that she was unable to make rational decisions, if I then allowed her to walk home accross a busy road, I am sure I would be held responsible in the event of her death.

HH

Established Member
The girl was drunk (but not, it now appears, drugged). Get over it. Say the girl was 20, not 16 - would that have changed anything? You know it wouldn't. You also know that there are drunks on late trains every day, and especially on Fridays and Saturdays. It's not something new. In fact it's stated that this train is known for it. People get drunk; they do stupid things. It's a fact of life. It doesn't mean that they deserve to die.

The case wasn't about the girl; it was about how a guard should behave towards all the drunks on all the trains. And everyone who knows about it, as opposed to simply opining, knows that the guard failed his duty. Of course you have to think, "There but for the grace of God, go I", because none of us are perfect, and therefore have sympathy for the poor man.

Legally though, I cannot see how an appeal against conviction could be successful. On what grounds would an appeal be made? For example appeals can be made on the basis of fact, or law, or conduct of the trial. They can't just be made because you didn't like the verdict. They could appeal against the sentence, which would have some chance of success, possibly a good chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.