• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2010

Should mileage accumulated whilst doing volunteer work (ie Preserved Lines) count?

• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Made my first trip in about 2 and a half weeks by rail on Wednesday, my mileage has finally increase to 8,698m69c. Not far now from my target of 10,000 miles for the year, although I'd much rather be on a figure at least twice that amount!

It'll be closer to the target tomorrow or Sunday, when I return to Wiltshire. Although with getting mileage off my preferred traction becoming a chore, it may take a fair while to get to 10,000!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
My holiday to Southport (the reason I persistently asked about 180s and Blackpool) became an utter nightmare. One thing it did do, though, was crank up my mileage. I am not sure exactly how much I am on, but it must be around the 9,000 mark now.

Ivo

Established Member
Anyone got any mileage statistics for the Blackpool Tramway? I need North Pier to Cleveleys and Pleasure Beach to North Pier (i.e. the whole line currently operational, until Ash Street is restored next week); I keep a record of every journey so I need the split at North Pier. Thank you :D

Also, anywhere I can find Metrolink distances?

Without these two, my mileage now stands at just under 8900, an average of around 45mi a day.

Dreadnought

Anyone got any mileage statistics for the Blackpool Tramway? I need North Pier to Cleveleys and Pleasure Beach to North Pier (i.e. the whole line currently operational, until Ash Street is restored next week); I keep a record of every journey so I need the split at North Pier. Thank you :D

Also, anywhere I can find Metrolink distances?

Without these two, my mileage now stands at just under 8900, an average of around 45mi a day.

You can get Metrolink distances off Railmiles, its Piccadilly (Metrolink) but Manchester Victoria (Metrolink) for some reason, all others should be there.

Ivo

Established Member
So you can. I shall have to estimate for Blackpool though...

Approximately 8,869 miles.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
So you can. I shall have to estimate for Blackpool though...

Approximately 8,869 miles.
Go onto Google Earth - its not heavily accurate but use the 'ruler' and click down the lines!

This would give you a better mileage reading than guessing.

Hi Jordy,

Started to use your mileage Engine which is great but i put Colne to Nelson and this appears as 0 Miles 06 Chains, This cannot be correct as the distance must be between 1.5 - 2.0 Miles. Any ideas???

wensley

Established Member
Commuting for various GC things these last weeks has shot mine up:

Northallerton - York (numerous times!)
Northallerton - London - Bradford - Doncaster - Northallerton (x2)
Northallerton - London - Northallerton
Northallerton - Sunderland - Northallerton (x2)

theblackwatch

Established Member

Was all that just commuting? Or was some of it worked - which doesn't count!

Reminds me I nees to tot up my journeys for this month...

455driver

Veteran Member

That looks like work to me, if so can I add about 40 Readings, 25 Weybridges etc etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Now only need 961 and a bit miles to hit my target of 10,000 miles for the year, following yesterday's trip around South East Wales :D

Should manage that easily enough in 5 months! :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
You're not supposed to be ahead of me though :(

By the way, what does it mean by "cop" (e.g. in Techniqest's signature, it says "Last cop: 142076")?

robert2000

im almost on 500, i set my own target of 1000, due to my financial situation, however i do hope people aint putting in hight ammounts just so they can win the competition, it would be a shame since no1 can prove the mileage any1 does, i dont think anyway.

Established Member
im almost on 500, i set my own target of 1000, due to my financial situation, however i do hope people aint putting in hight ammounts just so they can win the competition, it would be a shame since no1 can prove the mileage any1 does, i dont think anyway.
Speaking as the current leader, I travel because I enjoy it (commuting excepted) and have covered a similar amount of distance for at least the last 10 years; the current distance is quite genuine and, indeed, is more than entered as I only update every so often.

As for proving it, everything is on a spreadsheet - complete with times - if anybody doesn't believe me :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You're not supposed to be ahead of me though :(

By the way, what does it mean by "cop" (e.g. in Techniqest's signature, it says "Last cop: 142076")?

He he, whenever I update I always look to see what you've gotten and whether I'm ahead of you again or not! :lol: You've got a few weeks until I next do much in the way of mileage, when I head to London for UKRailtours' The Ness Monster. Plenty of miles to be had that weekend, including going to/from London as well as stuff before/after the tour <D

To answer your question, last cop essentially means 'last train required for haulage'. Not, I should add, that 142076 was required for all-time, that's been happily dud for a number of years. Not sure whether RM counts the stuff you cop just for the year or for all-time. If the latter, I must be still missing some records.

As for the gentleman who wondered whether some people are just entering high numbers in a bid to win the competition, every single journey I make is logged into a moves book. It's also all on my RailMiles account, if anyone wants evidence of my mileage feel free to visit http://techniquest.railmiles.org to see what I've done this year. :)

Ivo

Established Member
This year, being my debut year (and not really paying much attention early on), I have only recorded the journeys I have made on a spreadsheet.

The following is my 100th journey on a properly recorded (NR with RailMiles data) service, with each service used counted separately (so Bath to Exeter via Westbury, my first FC experience, counts as two; this was at the end of last year so is not represented on my table):

BTH CDF 49 15 0.1875* (*Chains converted into a decimal, i.e. Ch/80, for use with my formula)

My ill-recording system however is off-set by keeping nearly every ticket I have used. This does become a problem with Rover tickets though, as was the case when I went around Anglia for the day on May Day.

Next year, I will try to make my journey notes more detailed than the above.

I've hopefully got a flood of mileage, potentially enough to break the 10,000 mile barrier, coming up during the next few days (waiting to hear from someone on this forum whose first name begins with "J"), but after that August is going to be a struggle. Potentially tight finances with the occasional intervening event to attend; the SPT challenge, assuming I can go (I should find out this week), is my best bet for mileage for August. And then the end of it and the start of September are going to be very barren...

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
364 added from one day of a Thames Rover; I went for route coverage rather than mileage; I could probably have got a lot more mileage by shuttling back and forth on HSTs!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You can indeed get a lot shuttling between Reading and Paddington. I did 6 round trips on a Thames Branches Ranger last autumn, 430.92 miles for about £10, bargain!

But boy does it get repetitive after the 3rd round trip...

Ivo

Established Member
I won't be breaching the 10,000 barrier as soon as I had suggested from the looks of things... Now looking to Glasgow for that one :)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Anyone know the way to get miles from Kings Cross St P Underground?

As I cant find the LUL station anywhere!

------------

I now stand in 50th place!!!

A 'n-network' day rover (West Mids), a London 1-6 TCD & a Anglia Plus Day Ranger has brought me up-to 5756 miles.

------------

I can't prove anything but it is all genuine, I don't bother keeping a record as I will never win ;)!

Last edited:

Dreadnought

Anyone know the way to get miles from Kings Cross St P Underground?

As I cant find the LUL station anywhere!

If you type king's in Railmiles then it should give you 4 options for LUL. Kings Cross is one of those odd ones where it cannot decide if there is an apostrophe or not. For the mainline station it doesn't but to get LUL it does.

Personally I always thought it should be without an apostrophe.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
If you type king's in Railmiles then it should give you 4 options for LUL. Kings Cross is one of those odd ones where it cannot decide if there is an apostrophe or not. For the mainline station it doesn't but to get LUL it does.

Personally I always thought it should be without an apostrophe.
Ok, it has worked thanks!

I am now about to add 1 mile to my mileage, as I can't be bothered with the 41ch's - the journey I undertook was KX (Victoria, LUL) to Highbury & Islington (LUL).

On that trip I was gutted - as when I alighted at H&I the train behind arrived before we got off the platform, it was a new one <( & I haven't yet had the chance to sample these!

Established Member
Can this railmiles thing import from excel? It'd be useful to have a backup somewhere online but I'll be dammed if I'm typing it all out again!

Status
Not open for further replies.