• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_D3167

Does anyone know the mileage from Newcastle Central to Morpeth via Bedlington (the Blythe & Tyne)? Railmiles keeps getting an error when I try to quote it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich_D3167

Many thanks for that. After yesterday's railtour, my total now stands at 844 miles & 59 chains. Boosted quite a bit! :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
After yesterday's rather successful bash, my mileage has jumped up to 2,825. Not bad at all for 2 months and 11 days! Not got much else lined up for a while now, a few bits and bobs to tip me over 3,000 should be coming up soon but the next booked bash is the Irish adventure from 29th March to 2nd April.

As for doing the transit services at airports, what one at Heathrow T5? News to me! No gen on the mileage for them, but quite frankly I'd be surprised if the Gatwick one was more than 15 chains in either direction.

12CSVT

Established Member
Just a thought. Do airport transit services count for mileage ? If so, can anyone gives mileages for Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow (T5) ?

Only a very rough guess but I'd reckon the Gatwick 'Transit' is just under a mile - that was my estimate when I did it about 10 years ago, and having measured it on Google Earth, 0.75 miles is probably not far out. The one at Birmingham International is probably not much more than 0.25 miles.

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Up at over 5800 now, after a night Fishguard trip then back to BTM for the 0608 Plymouth Voyager via Westbury, took down to Exeter for a dud 221 back to BTM, 569 miles in all.

Might be off to Plymouth apparently with my mum on Thursday, can't complain for a mileage freebie, London on Friday then 90 bash to Berwick/HST to Edinburgh and back on Saturday, home bash on Sunday!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As for doing the transit services at airports, what one at Heathrow T5? News to me! No gen on the mileage for them, but quite frankly I'd be surprised if the Gatwick one was more than 15 chains in either direction.

T5? I assume that he meant the POD?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
so much for first class Bucharest-Sofia, ancient ex-DB Regio stock with thermostat permanently stuck on Saharan. Still, had got tanked up before hand and slept most of the way, felt terrible afterwards though. Still, found excellent Irish Pub in Sofia, called J.J.Murphy's, and I'm not kidding with the excellent rating, to find such a good one this far from home is a bonus :)

Rich_D3167

A trip to Lincoln today for a safety brief for work has boosted me by a further 87 & 3/4 miles, now up to a total of 932 miles & 41 chains. Won't be long 'til I reach a thousand. :)

Daimler

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea where we can easily get hold of distances on the French network? Estimating by adding together various bits of routes on Wikipedia is a bit of a nightmare...

Thanks! :)

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea where we can easily get hold of distances on the French network? Estimating by adding together various bits of routes on Wikipedia is a bit of a nightmare...

Thanks! :)
There is (or used to be) an on-line map which gave many distances on the French network. Bit of a pain to work long routes out but probably easier than Wiki. Can't find the link right now but will have a look when I get on my home computer later as it is bookmarked on there.

EDIT: The map version I had in mind does not appear to be available any more, however you might like to try THIS SITE which has all the lines listed by area which might be slightly easier than using the list on Wikipedia.

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm now at 2660, after a Lincolnshire Day Ranger last week and a trip yesterday to take in the GEML and Norwich - Peterborough line.

Ivo

Established Member
Now up to 1,475 for the year. Still not great, but I hope to obliterate that figure over Easter - and potentially increase that three- or even four- fold. I've got something like 700 lined up for the 4th of April, plenty of London miles during the week or so following that - and, potentially, an overnight 1,250 at the end. And two trips between Bath and Southend of course. My target for the end of next month is 5,000 - will it happen? We'll have to wait and see!

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Up to the total of 2207m 68ch. A couple of trips are planned (Cough Northern!) for the last couple of days this month then i have a Scouse Surprise planned the following week!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Now up to 1,475 for the year. Still not great, but I hope to obliterate that figure over Easter - and potentially increase that three- or even four- fold. I've got something like 700 lined up for the 4th of April, plenty of London miles during the week or so following that - and, potentially, an overnight 1,250 at the end. And two trips between Bath and Southend of course. My target for the end of next month is 5,000 - will it happen? We'll have to wait and see!

Good luck ol' boy, and I know I'll forget in the meantime so happy bashing!

I'm out again tomorrow, although not sure where to yet. Another WMDR is possible, as is another Oxfordshire Day Ranger. I might even go a bit further and do a Kennet Day Ranger. Mind you, I've been needing the new micro gricings at Abercynon (it was North and South there last time I went up there in 2005) and the double track bit on the Merthyr branch, plus I still need 3 ATW 150s so might do a Valleys bash.

I'll know tomorrow, as will the forum and RailMiles!

Rich_D3167

Tieing up the loose ends from last week: Had a trip up to Barton on Humber for a walk over the Humber Bridge on Wednesday, and had a round trip on the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway on Sunday, bringing my total up to 969 miles & 15 chains. Now, when will that last 30 miles & 65 chains come to bring me up to the first thousand? :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
After a most successful Kennet Day Ranger earlier, I'm now up to 3,159 miles in 2012 so far. Well over 1,000 miles this month alone, progress towards the 20,000 miles target is very good and March is looking certain to be my best month of the year for bashing so far!

redthunder

Devon, Cornwall & Dorset proved to be a huge success, now up to 13773, still got the regular trips to North Wales on my days off too :) :)

Crossover

Established Member
Finally got myself sorted out and on a total of 20 chains off 1250 miles. Probably down on last year as I am doing less travelling to and from uni for weekends (partly as I am not at uni now!) but not going too bad. Plenty more planned in the next month that I should hope at least doubles that total!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In the past week, have taken a trip to Letchworth Garden City (first 365 mileage) and done a Southern Daysave, which have taken me up to a respectable (for me) 3448 miles.

Considering I only had 4000(ish) last year, I'm doing far better. Money is now running low now - so may have to reign in spending a little.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Crazy amount of mileage! Hoping to go out again tomorrow, which I wasn't originally going to as I'm off on Thursday but I've got £6 of RTVs to use up and I'm more than desperate for another bash. This time though it'll be another day on ATW, but for the first time in ages it'll focus on the Valleys. Still need 3 150/2s (227, 235 and 253) and microgricing the 'new' loop on the Merthyr line and the new bits of track through Abercynon. Also tempted to do some shack scratching, even just one, on the Ebbw Vale line.

Crossover

Established Member
Added another 322 miles yesterday on a Northern 'Great Escape'...working out at about 3.1p per mile with no railcard discount is excellent value!

I'm slowly creeping up there! Though my only target is to try top last years circa 6000 miles. Also decided I want to try get journeys on each current UK TOC this year too, excluding E* which doesn't really count

redthunder

Now up to 14666, how Im top of the mileage table I will never know but I cant see it lasting tbh!!!!!!! But Im off to London this Friday so that shud tick it along nicely!!!!!

Ivo

Established Member
Now up to 14666, how Im top of the mileage table I will never know but I cant see it lasting tbh!!!!!!! But Im off to London this Friday so that shud tick it along nicely!!!!!

At the rate you're going you'll clear 60,000! How do you do it?

Established Member
Well, I did consider setting myself a target for 60,000 miles this year but, as things stand at the moment, it does not look likely as I now have three return flights to Europe booked (normally only one or two a year) and have two trips to countries where I am not likely to rack up mileage.

There is a possibility that I might do more UK mileage than usual this year but that very much depends on finding stuff to do such as visits to preserved railways and railtours. I have zero interest in riding around on most of the junk that passes as trains in the UK these days just for the hell of it :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
After Monday's virtually completely red-pen-less trip (where my winner 150s were I dunno), the only winner being 67002, I'm up to 3,383 miles now. Another 70 or so to come on UK shores on Thursday and 63 or so on Monday which'll kick off April, the rest of March will be on foreign shores! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.