• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mileage between 1st January 2017 and 31st December 2017 (incl.) only. Travel for leisure or commuting purposes only. Mileage covered on all railways counts towards your total, including heritage lines, foreign mileage, trams, light rail and LU - providing you can find accurate mileage data.

You can enter your mileage total here, towards the bottom of the page.

Click here for 2017 mileage league table

Main Resouces

National Rail

RailMiles Mileage Engine (RMME)
IMPORTANT: You must examine the routing generated carefully to ensure that it is what you want. This new reincarnation of the mileage engine is still a beta version so contain a few errors. Report any discrepancies to site support. Reports posted on this forum is unlikely to be picked up for a while.

Light Rail

Light Rail Distance Charts (Metric Units)
Light Rail Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
Track and Distance Diagrams (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

London Underground

London Underground Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
(A spreadsheet has been created by dcd and attached as an Excel file below ugdist1.xlsx if you wish to avoid manually looking up charts - just copy values from Columns F and G into H and I for steps in the journey, total appears in J and K, and remember to clear contents from H and I before next journey.)​
TfL Distance Diagram (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

Supplementary Resources

DLR Stratford International Branch - thanks to TheJRB
Midland Metro (and here) - thanks to 45041 and MattE2010
LOROL - Surrey Quays to Queens Road Peckham - thanks to TheJRB
Burnley Manchester Road - Todmorden - thanks to crehld
Chains to miles
Milepost data - calculation required
Mileage for preserved lines
Selected RailMiles Mileage Engine Station Names - contains all LU, Croydon Tramlink and NET station names, and selected other awkward station names used in RailMiles - for reference only, not working with the new mileage engine
Recalibrated Milepost Data (work in progress)

Please note that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and immediate disqualification from this year's competition.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LordCreed

So, at the end of January I'm on 3890mi 17ch. Not too bad, and it on target for 40,000 miles this year.

Established Member
Just 963 miles for me so far this year, although with the recent arrival, that was to be expected and I'm surprised it's that high to be honest. But at the end of the year, they all count!

I expect to be doing a little bit more than that this month, especially as my partner has very kindly bought us tickets for the Tornado steam hauled services in a couple of weeks' time, which I'm really looking forward to. I'll be allowed to go and watch The Owls this month too, lol. :lol:

cf111

Established Member
1530 (or it will be at c. 1749 today) for me which I thought was a lot but clearly not that impressive :lol:!

trainmania100

Established Member
I shall be getting a good 600 miles soon when i go to Devon again
Also some bashing on 376s and 455s in march ehould get be another 200 including Newhaven to London stations

Trainfan344

Established Member
Up to 1,456 in 2017 so far after a trip to Yorkshire via Stoke for Tornado. Just under 300 miles less than the amount I managed in the entirety of 2014.

backontrack

Established Member
Hoping to really kick off my mileage during half term. But I'm already off the ground.

Established Member
I'm up to 2,055 for the year so far, thanks to my journey on Tornado mid-week and today's trip to Nottingham to watch The Owls play at the City Ground.

If I can get to 2,500 before the end of the month, I'll be happy.

Trainfan344

Established Member
On an East Midlands Trains service from Peterborough to Nottingham on Friday, I got diverted via Melton Mowbray, the Syston East-North curve and then Slow-Fast after Sileby, does anyone have the mileage details for this? TIA.

Established Member
I'm up to 2,371 miles for the year so far, just falling short of my end of February target. Once Lime Street is open again, I plan to make amends for my low mileage total so far with a trip to Blackpool (to clear the tramway for coverage and haulage, hopefully) planned as well as a couple of other days out visiting new stations and trying to bag the last few Northern units (and 185s) I need for a ride.

I'm considering a return to Cardiff soon as well (mainly for the 142s, 143s and 153s), but this time I'll make sure it's not on a match day...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm a long, LONG, way from getting my mileage figures up to date, but I *should* now be on just under 3,000 miles for the year so far.

Established Member
As of right now I am on 9465 miles for 2017, with my All Line Rover starting tonight I am hoping by ths time next week to have cleared 12500 miles for 2017.

PeterY

Established Member
This is the first year, I've started measuring my mileage.

I decided not to count London underground trips.

I'm up to 1,668 which is a long long way off you guys.

7800 after this weekends railtour. Seems I'll be chasing ollieb's taillight all year especially with him going on an ALR.

I'll keep ticking over on 500miles a week average with three high mileage railtours in the next month to help!

trainmania100

Established Member
Following this weekends railtour, I am pleased to announce a nice juicy boost for me.
I shall add to my score once calculated, but I have 4 BML trips. A return to london victoria, and a return to brighton from London bridge.
(0826 BTN - VIC)
(12XX VIC - BTN - 442 tour)
(17XX BTN - LBG - 442 tour)
(1906 LBG - BTN)
Also yard movements including three bridges depot, lovers walk traversals and hove yard. Also beckenham junction too. Going to be fun calculating all of that...

Established Member
Well I set myself a target of 12.5K by the end of last week. I not only achieved it, I smashed through my next target of 15,000 with a whopping 16,073. Add to that this week's commute and I am currently on 16,427!

alex17595

My totals have been pathetic since getting a car.

By any change does anyone have the mileage from Voss-Oslo via Drammen? Wikipedia on has the mileage for a different route.
Thanks.

Established Member
My mileage has been very poor so far this year, although I'm sorry to say I can't admit I'm disappointed. As things stand in my personal life, as well as a massive dip in my interest in going out on the railways at the moment, I'm probably going to be retiring from the rails once I've got the last few Northern units which I still need for a ride, at least for the time being anyway. My ALR is probably still going ahead, but later in the year than initially planned.

For those interested, those units are 142058, 156479, 156484, 319442 and 319456.

Status
Not open for further replies.