• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Name the town...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Okay then, try this one for size

This town has one station on a main line to London, originally opened by a company that doesn't operate from there but does have some 'styling influences' of that company.

Last edited:

imagination

opened by a company that doesnt operate there? that could be almost any station in the country...

and from the word "had" - is the station now closed? Yet the styling influences are still present, so I would assume that the styling influences are on the town itself.

Right?

imagination

If it's the station that has the styling influence then Hanwell would fit :p

It has one station (Hanwell) on the main line to London (GWML) originally opened by a company (Great Western Railway) that doesn't operate there (because it no longer exists) but does have styling influence on the station (in that almost all of the station and some of its signage/livery dates back to the pre-nationalisation era)

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm lost - surely virtually every station in the country isn't operated nowadays by the company that opened it?!

(the only potential exceptions being those very recent openings - East Midlands Parkway springs to mind as an example, as EMT were very much involved in its opening, though surely it's still Network Rail property?)

Simon Poole

Water orton

It's roughly around that area but not on that line

hint: station isn't under the wires but the services it makes only stops at 3 stations, but 2 stations on this 3 stop route are under the wires and through stations with the same three companies that stop at the 2 stations which are under the wires

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
OK, a town with two unconnected stations. One is much busier than the other. The lines from both join up a few miles away and continue to a major junction.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Wow, didn't think that was right

Okay then, next one.

Town I am thinking of has two stations, not that far apart from each other, both terminus stations and managed by the same company even though both see one extra visiting TOC

4SRKT

Established Member
Wow, didn't think that was right

Okay then, next one.

Town I am thinking of has two stations, not that far apart from each other, both terminus stations and managed by the same company even though both see one extra visiting TOC

Bradford.

4SRKT

Established Member
An easy one for me given that Forster Square is only 3.5 miles from my local station!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A much harder one this time I reckon. This town has a single platform station on a double track line. There was once an east-facing bay platform as well. A long closed branch crossed the main line just east of the station. Trains heading north east had to reverse out of the bay platform over a trailing connection to access the branch, then pull forwards in a north westerly direction, crossing the main line. About 3 miles further on, another branch went off to the north (facing junction this time). The branch is closed and lifted at the junction, but a few miles along it becomes a preserved railway.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
No. Wrong end of the country. This is actually going to be pretty hard IMHO, as the clues given so far relate to long closed lines.

Another clue. This station is almost exactly mid way along a 42 mile branch from a major railway junction.

4SRKT

Established Member
Both wrong, and both geographically as far away from the answer as each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.