• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Routeing Guide update

kieron

Established Member
Some more (positive) changes were published yesterday.
New Dataset RJRG0443 published 22 December 2016

Written on 22 December 2016.
New dataset RJRG0443 - 22 december 2016

GLASGOW GROUP (G13) and WILMSLOW GROUP (G69) - added permitted route via Crewe
- Added map sequence 'WG+CG'

This now has mapped routes:
via Crewe;
via Stockport avoiding Warrington; and
via Bolton and Wigan avoiding Blackburn, Rufford and Westhoughton.

One thing which strikes me is that, as far as I can tell, adding WG+CG has exactly the same effect that adding CG alone would. They offer identical routes north of Preston, and the only extra section WG has is a link to Newton-le-Willows which can't be used on this journey anyway.
For Engineering work in April 2017 affecting Journeys between Weymouth and Bristol (via Bath Spa)

700689: During engineering works between 08 and 23 April 2017 which will affect journeys via Bath Spa. For journeys to from Weymouth, Upwey, Dorchest West,Maiden Newton, Chentnoler, Yetminster, Thornford, Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome,Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon, Avoncliff, Freshford, Bath Spa, Melksham, Chippenham to Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway priced on tickets routed on (00700) NOT VIA LONDON, (00829) VIA YEOVIL and (00618) VIA SALISBURY will be permitted to travel via Swindon. This fare route easement applies in both directions.

This is a fare route easement which overrides some fare restrictions for journeys between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway on the one hand, and Weymouth, upwey and Dorchester West on the other. It doesn't affect the other routes mentioned because none of them have any "not via London", "via Yeovil" or "via Salisbury" tickets set for them. I don't know if this will change in January, but most of these journeys currently only have "any permitted" tickets available. Melksham and Chippenham only have "via Bath Spa" tickets to Bristol, and this easement does nothing to allow travellers making those journeys to avoid the buses.

700690: During engineering works affecting journeys via Bath Spa, betwen 08 to 23 April 2017, journeys will be permitted via Swindon for journeys from Weymouth, Upwey, Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Chetnole, Yetminster, Thornford, Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on avon, Avoncliff, Freshford, Bath Spa, Melksham and Chippenham to Bristol. This map easement applies in both directions

This is a temporary map easeement to allow journeys via Swindon on the same dates as the previous easement. Its effects will cover a number of stations in Dorset and Wiltshire on the one hand, and any station in Bristol on the other.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
700688 Due to engineering works, between 03 January 2017 to 12 February 2017 and 30 May 2017 to 18 June 2017; rail replacement services will not call at Birkenhead Hamilton Square. Tickets priced on (00369 VIA BIRKENHEAD, will be valid on rail replacement services that call at Birkenhead Central. This fare route easement applies in both directions[/indent][/b]
This was, I suppose, added for journey planners, as Birkenhead Central is in Birkenhead anyway. I don't think any "via Birkenhead" tickets are valid via Birkenhead North, so the buses on that route aren't an issue.

Yes, it looks rather like VIA BIRKENHEAD is actually coded as via Birkenhead Hamilton Square. That probably makes some sense, as in normal situations no journey from Liverpool can avoid it.

jfollows

Established Member
GLASGOW GROUP (G13) and WILMSLOW GROUP (G69) - added permitted route via Crewe
- Added map sequence 'WG+CG'
Kieron, thank you for your effort in continually keeping us updated on developments. This is good news for me; it's the route I always take anyway but in future I should be able to do it with a single ticket rather than the combination of tickets I've had to use in the past. And it may also be cheaper too!

kieron

Established Member
Kieron, thank you for your effort in continually keeping us updated on developments. This is good news for me; it's the route I always take anyway but in future I should be able to do it with a single ticket rather than the combination of tickets I've had to use in the past. And it may also be cheaper too!
Remember that it is just tickets to and from Glasgow and a slightly arbitrary set of stations around it. If you were going to Motherwell or Edinburgh, or even to some of the stations outside the centre of Glasgow such as Bellgrove, a ticket from origin to destination will only be valid via Manchester.

clagmonster

Established Member
1 map(s) changed
Map NB - NOTTINGHAM TO BRADFORD VIA SHEFFIELD changed (0 added/ 1
removed links)
This removes the link between Derby and Nottingham groups via Long Eaton and Attenborough. The map still contains an indirect link via Chesterfield.

This change affects a number of possible journeys:

Barnsley (BNY) to Derby Group (G09)
Derby Group (G09) to Guide Bridge (GUI)​
These journeys no longer have mapped routes via Nottingham.

Bradford Group (G03) to Nottingham Group (G43)
Halifax Group (G39) to Nottingham Group (G43)
Huddersfield Group (G40) to Nottingham Group (G43)​
These journeys no longer have mapped routes which go via Church Fenton, Pontefract and Derby.

Barnetby (BTB) to Nottingham Group (G43)
Chesterfield (CHD) to Nottingham Group (G43)
Nottingham Group (G43) to Habrough (HAB)
Nottingham Group (G43) to Meadowhall (MHS)
Nottingham Group (G43) to Retford (RET)
Nottingham Group (G43) to Sheffield (SHF)
Nottingham Group (G43) to Swinton (South Yorkshire) (SWN)​
These journeys no longer have mapped routes via Derby.

Pontefract Group (G22) to Nottingham Group (G43)​
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Derby except for ones via Wakefield.

Nottingham Group (G43) to Guide Bridge (GUI)
Nottingham Group (G43) to Hazel Grove (HAZ)​
These journeys no longer have mapped routes using the line between Belper and Chesterfield.

Nottingham Group (G43) to Kirkham & Wesham (KKM)
Nottingham Group (G43) to Preston (PRE)​
These journeys no longer have mapped routes via both Derby and Meadowhall.
A lot of the trouble this will cause will be for passengers travelling to Beeston and, especially with its lesser service, Attenborough, both of which are members of the Nottingham Group. These passengers will now have fewer journey opportunities and in some cases increased journey times.

MichaelAMW

A lot of the trouble this will cause will be for passengers travelling to Beeston and, especially with its lesser service, Attenborough, both of which are members of the Nottingham Group. These passengers will now have fewer journey opportunities and in some cases increased journey times.

Has anyone any idea what all this removal of routes via Derby from Nottingham and vice versa is all about? Obviously, there is a pretty good service from Nottingham to Sheffield via the Erewash valley these days but at times the best journeys are via Derby, particularly as you say for Beeston. And what about the not infrequent times early and late trains go via Derby instead of Alfreton, both timetabled Northern services and EMT diversions for engineering reasons, e.g the first Nottingham - Liverpool and the last one back? These are going to disappear from the journey planners, I presume. I can only guess it's Cross Country making a fuss. E.g. the 20.47 Nottingham to Sheffield Northern service goes via Derby so now you need two tickets at higher cost to do something simple like Nottingham to Meadowhall using that service. I have a chum who commutes from Beeston to Sheffield and it would appear his ticket is no longer valid via Derby, which I find stupid in the extreme, particularly since it is 20 minutes faster than the Nottingham route.

Surely this is one of those cases where the protection of historical route permissions must apply. There's been a real hatchet job lately on the previous option to go either way as the times suit.

The trouble with this newish electronic-only version of the guide is that the updates are so frequent and the number of maps so unwieldly that it's near impossible to keep up with things and, therefore, to object to unreasonable changes. What on Earth is the regulation or control on these grossly non passenger friendly and absurdly illogical changes? And why now, 20 years into the franchising process?

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Has anyone any idea what all this removal of routes via Derby from Nottingham and vice versa is all about?
It was [thread=138274]mentioned on the forum[/thread] on 21st November that it appeared unreasonable that Donaster to Derby was not valid via Nottingham, seeing that Sheffield to Derby was. 4 days later the Sheffield to Derby permitted routes were changed. It seems that you need to be increasingly careful what you say on here these days.

Has anyone / does anyone actually check if these routes were reasonable routes in the days of British Rail?

kieron

Established Member
Some more changes to the routeing guide were made today, although a summary has not yet (at time of writing) been uploaded to http://www.raildeliverygroup.com/our-services/rail-data/routeing-guide-updates.html. These only removed the temporary easements listed below, for which the time periods have expired:

700669 (Fare route) Between 14 October and 11 December 2016 customers with promotional fares, (ticket type EGH), routed (00127) SWTRAINS ONLY may travel on South West Trains services via Clapham Junction to destinations where the permitted routes do not include via Clapham Junction. This fare route easement applies in both directions

700671 (Map) Between 14 October and 11 December 2016 customers with promotional fares, (ticket type EGH), routed (00127) SWTRAINS ONLY may travel on South West Trains services via Clapham Junction and Staines to Wokingham where the permitted routes do not include via Clapham Junction and Staines. This map easement applies in both directions

700672 (Fare route) Between 14 October and 11 December 2016 customers with promotional fares, (ticket type EGH), routed (00127) SWTRAINS ONLY may travel on South West Trains services via Guildford to destinations where the permitted routes do not include via Guildford. This fare route easement applies in both directions

700673 (Fare route) During rail improvement works from 24 to 29 December 2016 the route between Ealing Broadway and London Paddington will be closed. Journeys on tickets routed (00000) ANY PERMITTED, (00799) LONDON EVESHAM, (00803) EVESHAM STROUD, (00805) VIA EVESHAM and (00807) VIA STROUD may travel via Birmingham New Street to London Euston and London Marylebone. This positive fare route easement will apply in both directions.

700674 (Map) During rail improvement works from 24 to 29 December 2016 the route between Ealing Broadway and London Paddington will be closed. Temporary permitted routes will be created for journeys on tickets routed (00000) ANY PERMITTED, (00799) LONDON EVESHAM, (00803) EVESHAM STROUD, (00805) VIA EVESHAM and (00807) VIA STROUD may travel via Birmingham New Street to London Euston and London Marylebone. This positive map easement will apply in both directions.

700675 (Map) Due to route improvement works on 27 November 2016 the line between Twyford and London Paddington is closed. Temporary permitted routes via Bromsgrove and Birmingham to London Euston will apply for tickets priced ANY PERMITTED (00000), LONDON EVESHAM (00799), EVESHAM STROUD (00803), VIA EVESHAM (00805) and VIA STROUD (00807). This map easement will apply in both directions

700679 (Map) During engineering works between 24 December 2016 and 02 January 2017, customers travelling from Diss and Stowmarket to or via central London may travel via Bury St Edmunds and Cambridge to both London Liverpool Street and London Kings Cross. This map easement will apply in both directions

700683 (Map) During engineering works between 24 and 29 December 2016 affecting journeys into London Paddington. Tickets from Worcester, Evesham and other origins on the route to Oxford may travel to London Marylebone via Oxford and Princes Risborough. This map easement will apply in both directions.​

700628 may now be the only out-of-date easement left in the file.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Has anyone / does anyone actually check if these routes were reasonable routes in the days of British Rail?
I checked the 1952 Book of Routes. Nottingham to Sheffield was not permitted via Derby then, but there were some more lines open back then so there was probably a better choice of trains anyway.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I checked the 1952 Book of Routes. Nottingham to Sheffield was not permitted via Derby then, but there were some more lines open back then so there was probably a better choice of trains anyway.
By the same token the frequency of trains between Nottingham and Sheffield is somewhat better now than it was in 1995, I believe.

John @ home

Established Member
The earliest I can find is the July 2005 Routeing Guide. At that time, mapped permitted routes Nottingham Group - Sheffield Group were shown on map MM only and this allowed:
  • Nottingham Group - Loughborough Group - Derby Group - Chesterfield - Sheffield
  • Nottingham Group - Derby Group - Chesterfield - Sheffield
  • Nottingham Group - Meadow Lane Jn - Alfreton - Chesterfield - Sheffield
  • Nottingham Group - Radford Jn - Alfreton - Chesterfield - Sheffield.

Andrew1395

Of course Nottingham Group did not exist in the original Routeing Guide when it was created in 1995/96. The purpose of the guide was to establish as a benchmark the routes operated by BR at the point of privatisation, not the routes operated prior to 1995. No doubt the tickets, prices and timetable in 1974 was quite different from 1995, as today is different some 21 years after the guide was conceived.

sheff1

Established Member
It was [thread=138274]mentioned on the forum[/thread] on 21st November that it appeared unreasonable that Donaster to Derby was not valid via Nottingham, seeing that Sheffield to Derby was. 4 days later the Sheffield to Derby permitted routes were changed.

Sheffield to Derby was valid via Nottingham (as was Sheffield to Nottingham via Derby) in the original ATOC National Routeing Guide which claimed to "reflect all the travel options that were previously legitimately available to customers when travel was deemed to be valid via 'any reasonable route'".

The argument that there is now a better service between Sheffield and Nottingham cannot sensibly be used to justify withdrawal of the SHF-NOT-DBY routing. If the route was reasonable before it is even more reasonable now that the service going that way is so much better.

Using the 1995 timetable, I looked up Nottingham in the station index, and find the table for trains to Sheffield (55) and Derby (56). This gives me a route of Sheffield - Dronfield - Chesterfield, Alfreton, Langley Mill, Nottingham, Beeston, Attenbourgh, Long Eaton, Spondon and Derby.

I have then checked the SDS fares between those stations and Derby, which are as follows:
Code:
Sheffield     700, 880, 3860
Dronfield     700, 880, 3860
Chesterfield  510, 730, 2960
Alfreton      640, 700, 3150 
Langley Mill  520, 590, 2660
Nottingham    210, 410, 1850
Beeston       190, 310, 1400
Attenborough  190, 300, 1350
Long Eaton    180, 250, 1130
Spondon        80,  80,  260

Given that in the days of British Rail, reasonable routes always included any route for which fare paid by the passenger was the same or higher than the fare payable for any component of his journey, passengers have lost the ability to use the reasonable route Sheffield - Derby via Nottingham.

kieron

Established Member
Some more updates were made to the routeing guide on Friday.
New dataset RJRG0445 published 06/01/2017

Summary of changes compared to RJRG0444

Added map routes for journeys that do not include travel via London Termini -
London Group G01 Routeing Point (for example for fares priced on fare route
NOT VIA LONDON).

Crystal Palace (CYP) and Havant (HAV) - added sequence 'SD+HE'
Crystal Palace (CYP) and Havant (HAV) - added sequence 'VH+PD'
There are now mapped routes:
which avoid London (including some via Reigate and some via Gomshall);
which go via Streatham, Elephant & Castle, Earlsfield and Raynes Park, but avoid North Dulwich;
which go via Streatham, Queenstown Road and Barnes, but not Balham;
as well as some other routes I have not categorised.

which avoid London (including some via Gomshall, and some via Leatherhead); and
which go via Guildford but avoid New Cross Gate.

Map sequences added following review of permissions to Trent Valley routeing points

Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - added sequence 'AW+ES'
Hooton (HOO) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - added sequence 'AW+ES'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - added sequence 'AW+ES'

Map sequences removed following review of permissions in North Wales ,
Shropshire, Cheshire and Merseyside

Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BC+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BJ+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BV'
Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'NO+BM+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'NO+TM'
Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'NR+BM+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'NR+TM'
Hooton (HOO) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'BC+BP'
Hooton (HOO) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'BJ'
Hooton (HOO) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'NO+TM'
Hooton (HOO) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'NR+TM'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'BC+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'BJ+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'BV'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'NJ'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'NO+BM+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'NO+TM'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'NR+BM+WM'
Hooton (HOO) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'NR+TM'
These journeys no longer has mapped routes via Birmingham, Manchester Stoke-on-Trent, Walsall or Warrington.
They now have mapped routes which go through Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton and Stafford.

Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) and Shrewsbury (SHR) - added sequence 'ES'
Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) and Shrewsbury (SHR) - added sequence 'ES'
Shrewsbury (SHR) and Tamworth (TAM) - added sequence 'ES'
These journeys now have mapped routes via Stafford.

Shrewsbury (SHR) and Stoke On Trent (SOT) - added sequence 'ES+MH'
Shrewsbury (SHR) and Stoke On Trent (SOT) - removed sequence 'CA+BV'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Rugeley, or which use the line between Stafford and Crewe.

WIGAN GROUP (G34) and Stoke On Trent (SOT) - added sequence 'NW'
WIGAN GROUP (G34) and Stoke On Trent (SOT) - removed sequence 'NC+EM'
WIGAN GROUP (G34) and Stoke On Trent (SOT) - removed sequence 'NN+MS'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Chinley.
It now has mapped routes via Glazebrook, via Rugeley and via Sandbach.

Craven Arms (CRV) and Chester (CTR) - removed sequence 'AW+BC'
Craven Arms (CRV) and Chester (CTR) - removed sequence 'AW+BC+CH'
Craven Arms (CRV) and Shotton (SHT) - removed sequence 'AW+BC'
Craven Arms (CRV) and Shotton (SHT) - removed sequence 'AW+BC+CH'
No effect.

EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BM+WM'
EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'NO+BM+WM'
EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'BM+BP'
EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'NO+BM+BP'
EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'BM+WM'
EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'NO+BM+WM'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'BM+BP'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'NR+BM+BP'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'BM+WM'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'NR+BM+WM'
WIGAN GROUP (G34) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BS+WM'
WIGAN GROUP (G34) and Tamworth (TAM) - removed sequence 'BS+WM'
WREXHAM GROUP (G49) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BC+WM'
WREXHAM GROUP (G49) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BJ+WM'
These journeys no longer have mapped routes via Birmingham.

EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'BM+WM'
EARLESTOWN GROUP (G78) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'NO+BM+WM'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'BM+WM'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'NR+BM+WM'
WIGAN GROUP (G34) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'BS+WM'
WREXHAM GROUP (G49) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'BC+WM'
WREXHAM GROUP (G49) and Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) - removed sequence 'BJ+WM'
These journeys no longer has mapped routes via Wolverhampton.

Hooton (HOO) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'BJ+BP'
Hooton (HOO) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'NO+BM'
Hooton (HOO) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'NO+BM+BP'
Hooton (HOO) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'NR+BM'
Hooton (HOO) and Nuneaton (NUN) - removed sequence 'NR+BM+BP'
Nuneaton (NUN) and Shotton (SHT) - removed sequence 'TM+JO'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Manchester or Warrington.

Hooton (HOO) and Stoke On Trent (SOT) - removed sequence 'NO+SK'
Hooton (HOO) and Stoke On Trent (SOT) - removed sequence 'NR+SK'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Manchester.

Rugeley Trent Valley (RGL) and Shrewsbury (SHR) - removed sequence 'WM+CA'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Stafford.

STAFFORD GROUP (G65) and Hooton (HOO) - removed sequence 'BM+NO'
STAFFORD GROUP (G65) and Hooton (HOO) - removed sequence 'BM+NR'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Manchester, via Stoke-on-Trent or via Warrington.

WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'BM+WM'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'NR+BM+WM'
WARRINGTON GROUP (G31) and Lichfield Trent Valley (LTV) - removed sequence 'NR+TM'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Birmingham or via Glazebrook.

Removal of time expired easements

700628: During engineering works over the weekend of the 14 and 15 May 2016,
tickets on fare route 00063 VIA NEWBURY to the West Country will be valid on
journeys via Swindon. This easement applies in both directions.

700630: Journeys to and via London Marylebone on fare routes AP EVESHAM
(00402); CHILTERN & CONNECTIONS (00402); LONDON EVESHAM (00799); EVESHAM/
STROUD (00803) and VIA EVESHAM (00805) are not permitted to travel via Oxford
and Oxford Parkway. This negative easement applies in both directions.
700628 only applied in 2016.

Removing 700630 means that (say) a Brighton-Hereford "via Evesham" ticket is now valid via Oxford Parkway.

Easement 700598 is now the only easement I can see which refers to the Marylebone-Bicester-Oxford route, and that has already expired.

In addition to the above, easement 700676 has been amended. It now reads:

700676 (Map) On the weekends of the 04/05 and 11/12 February 2017, East Coast services are routed (without stopping) via Hitchin, Cambridge and Ely. To ensure journeys beyond Kings Cross are shown in Journey Planners, (where map permissions do not currently include links between Hitchin and Cambridge); this temporary map easement will operate in both directions.​

Previously, it only affected the 04 and 05 February 2017. If you're going between Peterborough and London then, need to change trains during your journey, and wish to book online, entering St. Pancras as your destination rather than Kings Cross may enable some web sites to show through fares.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some more changes were published yesterday.
New dataset RJRG0446 published 12 January 2017

Written on 12 January 2017.

Dataset RJRG0446 published 12 January 2017

Impact Assessment - comparing revision 'IBRG0446' to original 'IBRG0445'

To create links between Sheffield and Leeds used routinely as diversions via
Barnsley map amended
Map PY - PLYMOUTH TO YORK changed (3 added links)
The new map definition has not yet been uploaded, although the map already includes some routes via Barnsley.

New easements
700691: Holders of season tickets from origin Sheffield to Attenborough;
Beeston or Nottingham may travel via Derby. This map easement applies in both
directions
There was validity on a couple of routes via Derby until the NB map was amended in November (although easement 700102 prevents someone from travelling from Sheffield to or via Nottingham from going via East Midlands Parkway). If you are using a single or return ticket, nationalrail.co.uk only lists Sheffield-Attenborough as being valid via Derby.

700692: Due to engineering works Cross Country services are diverted via
Newport (South Wales) on Sunday 19 February 2017. This map easement will
create temporary permitted routes between the West Country and West Midlands
and will apply in both directions.
The easement doesn't say anything about which routes are permitted, so this may be left to the traveller to decide.

Out of date easement(s) removed
700598: Following the introduction of the Chiltern services from Oxford
Parkway to London Marylebone,and until Chiltern operate direct through
services from Oxford to London; tickets on Fare route 00000 Any Permitted from
or via Oxford to London or beyond will not be valid on the new services via
High Wycombe and will remain valid only via Reading. This negative circuitous
route easement will apply in both directions.
Out of date, as stated.

Change to easement text
700676: On the weekends of the 04/05 and 11/12 February 2017, East Coast
services are routed (without stopping) via Hitchin, Cambridge and Ely. To
ensure journeys beyond Kings Cross are shown in Journey Planners, (where map
permissions do not currently include links between Hitchin and Cambridge);
this temporary map easement will operate in both directions.
The text now include "to and" before "beyond Kings Cross", so that it's easier to book (say) a Grimsby-London ticket on those dates.

Last edited:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
New easements
700691: Holders of season tickets from origin Sheffield to Attenborough;
Beeston or Nottingham may travel via Derby. This map easement applies in both
directions

Is this the first and only example of where a season ticket has different routeing compared with its "any permitted" non-season equivalents? Odd.

MichaelAMW

Is this the first and only example of where a season ticket has different routeing compared with its "any permitted" non-season equivalents? Odd.

I got in touch with EMT about this and they went away and gave me a call back. It was only a voicemail so I haven't had a conversation about their reply. They said that they had no idea that the RG had been changed to remove the route from Nottingham to Sheffield via Derby and they didn't think Cross Country knew either. As far as EMT are concerned, they don't have a problem with anyone going via Derby on their trains, which I take to mean catching the Matlock and changing onto a St Pancras - Sheffield would be fine for any type of ticket. They said that they were still looking into the matter and that it appears that the change, which the RDG seems to have done unilaterally, has come about because of fare differences between Derby and Nottingham. Just to add, this last bit was less than clear in the message - maybe the person replying didn't entirely understand what they had been asked to pass on - so there is probably more to know.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
DaFT doesn't make them, RDG/ATOC do.
Yes, you're right.
http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide said:
The content has been approved by the Department for
Transport
DaFT has probably not, however, approved the changes as it's supposed to (previous FOI requests by other forum members show a rather hit-and-miss record). I find it very odd that RDG appears to have acted on its own initiative to withdraw a route yet EMT are fine with the withdrawn route being taken by passengers.

sheff1

Established Member
I find it very odd that RDG appears to have acted on its own initiative to withdraw a route yet EMT are fine with the withdrawn route being taken by passengers.

For some time RDG/ATOC seem to have been making changes to the Routeing Guide almost on the hoof, sometimes on a daily basis. Many a time, changes which have quite clearly not been subject to proper impact assessment have been revised, or even reversed, within a few days of being introduced. Often the reason given for making a change is "correcting errors", even when the thing being changed has been in place for years meaning that another few weeks to assess the impact properly would make little difference to the timescale but, potentially, a big difference to the outcome.

If memory serves, changes to the RG used to only be made at set intervals and were seemingly subject to proper assessment and scrutiny. DafT and Transport Focus both seem unconcerned about the drift to the current unsatisfactory arrangements.

kieron

Established Member
Some more easement changes were made yesterday as follows:
New dataset RJRG0447 published 18 January 2017

Easements for spring Engineering works on Great Western added

700693: During engineering works between 08 and 23 April 2017 that affects routes via Bath Spa, journeys from South Wales to the South Coast (eg Portsmouth) will be permitted via Swindon, Chippenham, Trowbridge and Westbury. This positive map easement will aply in both directions.

700694: During engineering works affecting Great Western services on 27 to 29 May and 10 to 11 June 2017, tickets priced on fare route (00810) NOT VIA READING will be valid via Reading.
Temporary easements, as it says. 700693 is probably of more use to those with "via Salisbury" tickets.

2 easement(s) changed to widen destinations beyond Britol to South Wales

700690: During engineering works affecting journeys via Bath Spa, betwen 08 to 23 April 2017, journeys will be permitted via Swindon for journeys from Weymouth, Upwey, Dorchester West, Maiden Newton, Chetnole, Yetminster, Thornford, Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon, Avoncliff, Freshford, Bath Spa, Melksham and Chippenham to Bristol and South Wales. This map easement applies in both directions

700689: During engineering works between 08 and 23 April 2017 which will affect journeys via Bath Spa. For journeys to from Weymouth, Upwey, Dorchest West,Maiden Newton, Chentnoler, Yetminster, Thornford, Yeovil Pen Mill, Castle Cary, Bruton, Frome,Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon, Avoncliff, Freshford, Bath Spa, Melksham, Chippenham to Bristol and South Wales priced on tickets routed on (00700) NOT VIA LONDON, (00829) VIA YEOVIL and (00618) VIA SALISBURY will be permitted to travel via Swindon. This fare route easement applies in both directions.
Both are now "Bristol and South Wales".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some more easement changes were published today.
New dataset RJRG0449 published 20 January 2017

Following the closure of a platform at Pilning station the following new local easements will allow doubling back through Pilning

700695: To facilitate journeys to Pilning station on Saturdays from Bristol Temple Meads, this local easement will allow the journey to be valid via Newport South Wales. this

700696: For passengers travelling from Pilning on Saturdays to or via Newport South Wales, this local easement will allow interchange at Filton Abbey Wood station to get a connecting service back towards Newport South Wales
Only eastbound trains call at Pilning. Someone going from Pilning to anywhere would need to travel via Patchway, and someone going to Pilning would need to travel via Severn Tunnel Junction. These easements allow travellers to double back further if travelling from Bristol or to or via Newport.

Personally, I would have thought a double back via Newport would be of more use to someone going to Pilning from or via Bristol Parkway rather than from Bristol Temple Meads. The train from Bristol Temple Meads in front of the Pilning one calls at Severn Tunnel Junction anyway. There are no useful direct Bristol Parkway-Severn Tunnel Junction trains, by contrast, so anyone going that way without going via Newport would have to change in Filton or Patchway or somewhere first.

1 change(s) in 700692: Due to engineering works Cross Country services are diverted via Newport (South Wales) on 18 and 19 February 2017. This map easement will create temporary permitted routes between the West Country and West Midlands and will apply in both directions.
This previously only applied on 19th February.

Last edited:

kieron

Established Member
Some more changes were published on Wednesday.
New dataset RJRG0449 published 01 February 2017

Routeing Guide dataset - comparing revision RJRG0449 to RJRG0448

Change to maps to remove links via Kettering
Leicester (LEI) and Sheffield (SHF) - added sequence map 'PR'
Leicester (LEI) and Sheffield (SHF) - removed sequence map 'SY'
This journey no longer has mapped routes via Kettering.

To ensure journey planners can offer journeys from Leeds via Doncaster when engineering diversions mean that services do not pass through either the Wakefield or Pontefract Routeing Group locations, a Timing link between Leeds Group Routeing Point (G16) and Doncaster Routeing Point has been added to the following maps
Map AL - EAST ANGLIA TO LEEDS
Map AY - EAST ANGLIA TO YORK
I'm not sure what the reference to engineering diversions means here, as there's a Virgin Trains East Coast train which uses the chord by Hambleton (between Selby and South Milford) almost every Saturday (although not this Saturday, as the line between Peterborough and London is shut). Something strange is being done with that train, as nationalrail.co.uk doesn't show it as being valid with a Frizinghall-Doncaster ticket despite the national timetable showing it as using the shortest route.

This isn't important, though, as neither map has been changed on the server.
To allow Journey Planners to show journeys when timetable data does not include passing times for routeing points between Witham and London Group (G01) during engineering work. Where the alternative travel times are a combination of bus replacement services and London Underground serices to/from Newbury Park underground station to the GEML. A timing link has been added to map EA
Map EA - LONDON TO ESSEX AND EAST ANGLIA changed - Timing Link added between WTM and London Group (G01)
This affects journey options when rail replacement buses are running from Ingatestone to Newbury Park, as the trains that run otherwise all go through Shenfield. It doesn't affect journeys such as Southend Airport-London, though, where a traveller wouldn't normally go through Witham. It doesn't affect shorter journey which do go that way, either, such as Braintree-London, as they use the CO map instead.

nationalrail.co.uk (for one) handles these in a somewhat inconsistent way.
To allow journey planners to show journeys during engineering works, the following easeement has been added to allow a doubleback journeyg.
Added 700697: To allow journey planners to show journeys with connections, during engineering diversions via Newport South Wales (with journeys travelling through Severn Tunnel Junction twice). This positive doubleback easement will apply in both directions
Easements 700232 and 700233 already allowed this for travellers going via Chepstow and Bristol Parkway or Bristol Temple Meads, so this helps with journeys to Caldicot where Newport isn't a valid routeing point, and trains which avoid both of those Bristol stations.

To allow journey planners to show journeys as described in easement 700696, the following Routeing Point has been added to negate fares checking.
Added 700698: To allow journeys on Saturdays to Pilning from Bristol Temple Meads to travel via Newport South Wales, this routeing point easement will override fares checking in journey planners.
This is just for journey planners, as easement 700695 says the same thing in slightly different words.

In addition to this, easement 700696 has been changed from a "local" easement to a "doubleback" one. I don't know if this makes any difference to its meaning. As before, it reads:
700696: For passengers travelling from Pilning on Saturdays to or via Newport South Wales, this local easement will allow interchange at Filton Abbey Wood station to get a connecting service back towards Newport South Wales​

kieron

Established Member
There have been some more updates to the routeing guide. First, there were some changes published almost 3 weeks ago, which I forgot to post about at the time.
New dataset RJRG0450 published 08 February 2017
Comparing RG0450 to IBRG0449

To accomodate routine engineering diversions via Micklefield map YS has been amended

Map YS - WEST YORKSHIRE TO SCOTLAND VIA YORK changed (added links Leeds Group (G16) to Pontefract Group (G22) and Pontefract Group (G22) to York Routeing
This change creates some extra routes via Pontefract Group, mostly for journeys to and from Scotland (with a few exceptions such as Lancaster to Northallerton now being valid via both Hellifield and Wakefield).

Leaving engineering diversions to one side, there are a few trains a day on the standard timetable which go between Leeds and York via Castleford (part of Pontefract Group). None of them stop there, though.

Journey planners are not able to show all of the routes you might expect for this, however. You could (for example) catch a train from Leeds to Pontefract Monkhill, walk the 3/4 of a mile or so to Pontefract Baghill, and catch a train to York from there. Journey planners do not consider the possibility of walking through Pontefract, so would not offer tickets for any routes which involve a route like this.
For Easter engineering works - dated easements added to accomidate diversions

700699: Over the Easter weekend 14 to 17 April, services from Leeds to Edinburgh are routed via Castleford. This positive map easement will create temporary map permissions that will apply in both directions
This easement doesn't say what the extra permissions for this actually are. You could, I suppose, treat it as meaning "Journeys from or via Leeds to or via Edinburgh are valid via Castleford".

700700: During the Easter period 14 to 17 April 2017, Trans Pennine Express services from Liverpool Lime Street, Liverpool South Parkway, Birchwood and Warrington Central to Edinburgh are diverted via the East Coast Mainline. Fares priced on fare route (00456) AP TPE & CONNECTIONS will be valid on services travelling via Berwick upon Tweed. This fare route easement will apply in both directions.
This is needed by journey planners because there's some text in the fares data to say "AP TPE & CONNECTIONS" tickets are prohibited from being routed that way. I don't know if this easement removes this restriction for all routes or just for the named stations.

Incidentally, is Easter Saturday expected to be the first time TPE will run trains in service between Liverpool and Edinburgh on any route?
Easements changed to increase range of dates

700688: Due to engineering works at weekends , between 11 February 2017 to 28 May 2017; Public Holidays Good Friday 14 April, Easter Monday 17 April, 01 May and 29 May 2017. And everday 30 May 2017 to 18 June 2017; rail replacement services will not call at Birkenhead Hamilton Square. Tickets priced on (00369) VIA BIRKENHEAD, will be valid on rail replacement services that call at Birkenhead Central. This fare route easement applies in both directions
This just adds some dates to the easement (which previously finished on 12/2).
To expand range of journeys priced on (00000) Any Permitted covered by the easement following the introduction of via Nottingham Fares on flows from Alfreton and Langley Mill

700648: To override fares checking for journeys from Alfreton and Langley Mill to and via East Midlands Parkway but excluding Peterborough and beyond; Long Eaton and beyond; Attenborough and beyond; Nuneaton and beyond; Wellingborough and beyond on tickets priced on route (00000) ANY PERMITTED, this positive Routeing Point easement will allow travel via Chesterfield any will apply in both directions
This has been changed quite a bit. It did just cover "any permitted" Alfreton-Leicester tickets before. I don't know what it covers now, as I would expect someone travelling between Alfreton and somewhere beyond East Midlands Parkway by train to go through Attenborough or Long Eaton.

. . . . .​

There are also the following changes, which were published on Friday.
New Dataset RJRG0451 oublished 24 February 2017
Changes in RJRG0451 compared to RJRG0450

1 station(s) added - ILKESTON

Ilkeston (ILN) has been added to routeing guide data.
This is associated with Chesterfield and Nottingham, and is apparently due to open in April.

1 map(s) changed Adding link between Grove Park (GRP) and Swanley (SAY) Routeing Points

Map SV - LOCAL SOUTH EASTERN ROUTES VIA SEVENOAKS changed (1 added/ 0 removed links)
Looking at a timetable, there are trains which go between Grove Park and Swanley without passing through Bickley or Petts wood on the way, but none of them stop at either Grove Park or Swanley. Northbound ones don't call anywhere between Rochester and New Cross, and southbound ones don't call between London Canon Street and Rochester. SV now covers the route these trains take between London and Swanley, but not the route between Swanley and Rochester.

SV appears alone as a route, and is als included in the map combinations SV+AR, SV+CT, SV+CT+HS and SV+CW. AR and CW do not include Rochester either. CT and HS do, but don't include Swanley.

In summary, I have not been able to identify any changes to validity caused by this change.

If anyone is wondering, the FV map also contains the Grove Park-Swanley link. That map does contain the full route these trains take between London and Rochester.
Due to flows to Amersham from origins on the GWML such as Swindon and Bristol Temple Meads not being priced to Amersham (AMR), Fares checking rules were preventing journey planners showing fares for these journeys. New easement added

700701: This positive routeing point easement will override fares checking and allow journeys to Amersham via London Paddington from origins beyond Reading and Newbury . This easement will apply in both directions
I suppose it's up to the traveller to decide whether "beyond Reading and Newbury" means "beyond Reading" or "beyond Newbury", the stations being on the same line from London Paddington. There are only actually fares defined between Amersham and a small number of stations on the same line. Chesham, Chalfont & Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth and Harrow-on-the-Hill are in the same situation.

3 easement(s) changed to include (ILN) IIlkeston
300351: Customers travelling from Ilkeston, Langley Mill or Alfreton to Sheffield and beyond may travel via Chesterfield. This easement applies in both directions.

700305: Customers travelling from Loughborough to Ilkeston, Langley Mill or Alfreton may travel via Nottingham. This easement applies in both directions

700214: Customers travelling from Alfreton, Langley Mill or Ilkeston to or via London St Pancras, in possession of tickets routed 'Any Permitted' or 'EMT & Connections' may travel via Chesterfield. This easement applies in both directions.
These are all of the easements which mention Alfreton or Langley Mill except for 700648. Of course, no NFM64 fares are defined to or from Ilkeston, so the range of routes is still more limited than for other stations in the area.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Easement 300351 & 700305 makes little sense to me, as it is logically if someone was travelling from say Langley Mill to Sheffield to pass Chesterfield, similar from Loughborough travelling via Nottingham is a logical route

kieron

Established Member
Easement 300351 & 700305 makes little sense to me, as it is logically if someone was travelling from say Langley Mill to Sheffield to pass Chesterfield, similar from Loughborough travelling via Nottingham is a logical route
300351 is a "routeing point" easement. What it means is that you can use Chesterfield as a routeing point for a journey from Ilkeston, Langley Mill or Alfreton so long as the journey goes through Sheffield. Without it, there may be some journeys where Chesterfield does not pass the fare check, possibly meaning that you couldn't go via Sheffield at all.

700305 is a "local" easement. A journey which meets its criteria and does not double back on itself is usually treated as being valid by journey planners.

I imagine both were added to address specific problems people had a few years ago, but I don't know what those were.

. . . . .​

Some more easements were published yesterday. Some of these seem to be active on journey planners (or, at least, on nationalrail.co.uk), but I haven't been able to find anything for others. They're all valid anyway.
New Routeing Guide dataset RJRG 0452 published 01 March 2017
Changes in RJRGIBRG0452 to RJRG0451

For Engineering works dated easement added to ensure connecting services are shown in Journey planners

700702: Due to engineering works, trains from Manchester to West wales are diverted via Chester and Wrexham on the 11 and 12 March 2017. This map easement will create temporary map permissions to allow connecting services to be shown in journey planning systems. This easement will apply in both directions
This means that Manchester-Ledbury is now valid via Crewe and Wrexham on those dates.
To ensure journeys are valid on selecteed flows priced on route 00804 VIA WORCESTER via Cheltenham Spa and/or Newport (SWales) easements added

700703: Journeys priced on (00804) VIA WORCESTER from Evesham; Honeybourne and Pershore to Newport (South Wales) are valid via Cheltenham spa. This fare route easement applies in both directions.
This allows journeys such as Oxford-Didcot-Bristol-Cheltenham-Gloucester-Newport using a "via Worcester" ticket instead of only a "not Reading" one as before. You'd need to ensure the Bristol-Cheltenham train doesn't go through Gloucester station, as the double back easement for that only applies to "any permitted" tickets.

700704: Journeys priced on route (00804) VIA WORCESTER from Gloucester; Cheltenham Spa, and Cam & Dursley to Blakedown, Hagley, Hartlebury, Kidderminster, Cradley Heath, Lye (West Midlands), Stourbridge Town and Stourbidge Junction. may travel via Cheltenham spa. this fare route easement applies in both directions
Travelling from Cheltenham to Kidderminster via Cheltenham is no great hardship. I don't know where this leaves the more expensive "via Birmingham" fare, though.

To override NFM64 price checking to facilitate the operation of local easement that allows travel via Newcastle, easement added
700705: Easement 000065 is a local easement that allows journeys from Chathill, Alnmouth, Acklington, Widdrington, Pegswood, Morpeth, Cramlington and Manors to Berwick-upon-Tweed and stations in Scotland may double back from Newcastle on tickets routed "Any Permitted". This routeing point easement will override NFM64 fares checking at Newcastle and applies in both directions.
I don't know if this means that a journey from one of those stations is valid via Newcastle if it doubles back there (which is implied by 000065 whenever Edinburgh is a valid routeing point), or if it is valid there whether you double back or go via Carlisle.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it's saying that because you can't reach any of those stations from the north without going through them first (unless you go the long way round) the double back via Newcastle is permitted.

kieron

Established Member
I think it's saying that because you can't reach any of those stations from the north without going through them first (unless you go the long way round) the double back via Newcastle is permitted.
That's what easement 65 says. I can't tell what it actually does because NRE (which is, admittedly, the only site I've tried) doesn't like journeys via Newcastle on any route.

Looking into it a bit more, I notice that easement 700216 bans a journey to or from Chathill from going via Newcastle and Berwick-upon-Tweed with Any Permitted tickets. This would mean that you can't take advantage of easements 65 or 700705 from there, despite it being named in the easement text. It could be being written in a different way which stops the easements from being honoured by journey planners for other journeys.

Last edited: