• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Apprenticeships

Status
Not open for further replies.

t o m

Scott, they send the urine test off to check for drugs and also to double check for alcohol. They test it for diabetes there and then.

so how was the open day? find out any new info or just stuff we already knew

It was really interesting, there is so much to do there, you could never get board. At the start of the day there was a form to fill in asking what sport we'd like to play, I wish they'd given us it at the end of the day because there was so much you wouldn't imagine but it doesn't really matter what's on the form. It seems if there's enough of you that want to do anything, you can.

The group I was in finished looking around HMS Sultan a bit early, so the bus took a long route back so we could see the surrounding area, looked really nice.

The training facilities are top class. They said it has been rated as the best apprenticeship scheme in the country.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

t o m

im just waitin to be accepted :)

got the date for my medical today... A week today at my chosen depot... Will they pay for me to get down there or not?

You have to pay your own fare for the medical, well I did.

Hydro

Established Member
The training facilities are top class. They said it has been rated as the best apprenticeship scheme in the country.

It's definitely the best facilitated. So much so that other companies either piggy back onto it (we had Balfours and Amey apprentices in a few of our classes), or have completely adopted it (you'll be rubbing shoulders with British Energy apprentices and Southern Water apprentices - seperate accomodation and classes though). Ford at Southampton also had a day release presence there back in my day.

quak_C

they confirmed the 10th as the start day to anyone?

and Hydro did you all move down on the start day or did you come down the day before or something

Hydro

Established Member
Go down on the 10th. The first week will be orientation and bedding in, few more in depth tours, setting up of rooms, seeing the local area and being assigned classes and so on.

Kelsey

You have to pay your own fare for the medical, well I did.

wish i picked a depot close to home now ;( never mind ay
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i no this is an irrelevant question, but quite a few people on this site have numbers + pics on there profiles e.g. 221005 (sumfin like that) then a pic wiv a train... So r they trainspotters? And what makes a train 'special'? Like why do they go out their way to find a specific numbered train?

Crossforth

Established Member
wish i picked a depot close to home now ;( never mind ay
i no this is an irrelevant question, but quite a few people on this site have numbers + pics on there profiles e.g. 221005 (sumfin like that) then a pic wiv a train... So r they trainspotters? And what makes a train 'special'? Like why do they go out their way to find a specific numbered train?

Yep :)

I'm one of them :lol: An active member of the forum that is. I'm more of a photographer myself than a spotter but it's still fun. Just to ride round is fun, see the sites, especially with the people you meet. Great fun :D

People set themselves challenges to try and find a particular train etc.

My current challenge is to bash (that means ride on) all the 185s by the time I leave for Portsmouth :)

Does that explain a bit?

Rwhunited

Its to do with the rarity of certain number trains i think and also certain class of train, also the number will be the number of the train, i think it it the class number then the model mined so a class 66 would be 66025 so that is the 25th 66 :) not a train spotter personally but i do a lot of travelling on trains, i think that's what it is anyway

Crossforth

Established Member
Its to do with the rarity of certain number trains i think and also certain class of train, also the number will be the number of the train, i think it it the class number then the model mined so a class 66 would be 66025 so that is the 25th 66 :) not a train spotter personally but i do a lot of travelling on trains, i think that's what it is anyway

Correct.

On a locomotive, the first two numbers are the class so using 66025 as an example, it is a class 66, the third number is a sub class so in this case it is sub class 0 or 66/0 and the final two numbers are which loco it is so number 25 making 66025

Multiple units are the same just with a 3 digit class number

Kelsey

Yep :)

I'm one of them :lol: An active member of the forum that is. I'm more of a photographer myself than a spotter but it's still fun. Just to ride round is fun, see the sites, especially with the people you meet. Great fun :D

People set themselves challenges to try and find a particular train etc.

My current challenge is to bash (that means ride on) all the 185s by the time I leave for Portsmouth :)

Does that explain a bit?

so how do u know where all the 185 trains are? And how many of them there is? and where your gonna end up?

what makes the number rare? I travel a lot on trains and ive noticed the number but just thought it was there so u knew wat train to get on... Didnt no it had sumfin to do wiv spottin lol

and whats this class of train? I fort u only had 1st class an standard....

Last edited:

Rwhunited

so how do u know where all the 185 trains are? And how many of them there is? and where your gonna end up?

what makes the number rare? I travel a lot on trains and ive noticed the number but just thought it was there so u knew wat train to get on... Didnt no it had sumfin to do wiv spottin lol

Haha no if you notice trains are different types, like the ones out of Euston are class 390 virgin ones and then they are different to the ones local to you, also the numbers are the number of the train itself :)

Kelsey

im goin on a train on thursday im gonna have a look :) but how do u know if its a rare train? I no u sed cuz of the numbers but how do u know? If that makes sence?

Crossforth

Established Member
well i think you would like it where i live in York as we have the national railway museum!?! ha

It's become too child friendly :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_185

That is a wiki page on the Class 185 which there are 51 of. These are not rare units if you live in the areas where Transpennine Express run, such as myself, but it may be rare if they run, for example, down in London.

A train may be rare if there are only a few of them such as the class 139 which there are only two of.

For quite a while, the operator Grand Central ran six Class 43 HST power cars with specific engines in them which were exclusive and they were considered special as there were only six of them out of 194? strong fleet which all have a different engine.

Make sense?
Want to know anything else?

Established Member

As you can probably tell I like 142s, and 094 was the first picture I could find to put as an avatar. I'm sure if you haven't heard about the legendary ride a 142 gives then you will sometime soon.

erolosman

well as i predicted, didnt get the job :( depressive state for a week or 2 now :\ there offering feedback from my interview so think ill find out soon. but for now i think I'll drown out some sorrows at the pub tonight :(

maybe next year if im not in the job i want to be in ill try again or ill try one of the other companys like southern balfour etc

Rwhunited

well as i predicted, didnt get the job :( depressive state for a week or 2 now :\ there offering feedback from my interview so think ill find out soon. but for now i think I'll drown out some sorrows at the pub tonight :(

maybe next year if im not in the job i want to be in ill try again or ill try one of the other companys like southern balfour etc

Ah that's a bummer :/ well hope you do well whatever you do mate

t o m

I'm sorry to hear that. I know it's no consolation but you did well to get that far and you said that it was your first ever interview so at least you got the experience.

All the best for the future.

quak_C

that does suck bud but atleast you can think of it this way over ten thousand people applied and they interviewed 650ish people so thats still a very impressessive stage to have got to :)

t o m

Yeah, at my assessment day they said 10,000 and at Collingwood on Wednesday they said 12,000. Crazy.

Hydro

Established Member
It's getting more popular, my intake was taken from an application number of about 8,000.

Mad when you think they're competing for 200 places.

franny

I've still not heard back Crossforth, did you ring the depot or did you ring Network Rail.

S c o t t

Does anyone know what the 'financial check'means ? Or what they check ? Iv got a pretty big overdraft atm which will be paid by time we start in september cud tht effect me ? Iv got bad credit rating due to t-mobile black listing me for their mistake grrrr :@

Status
Not open for further replies.