• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail DVT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
http://www.wnxx.com/content/070213/82145.htm
82145%20Loughborough%20070213%20D%20Gleave.jpg

First I have seen of this, no idea NR were taking on DVTs.

Adam :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boothby97

Established Member
For test trains to help replace the Class 31s, they'll act just like the DBSOs.
82111/115/124/129/145 are all owned by Network Rail and located Loughborough Brush. All of them carry Virgin Trains colours except 82115 which carries BR Blue and 82145 NR Yellow.
Hope this helps, Sam

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Which multiple working system will they be set up with (ie which locos will they be compatible with)?

TDK

Established Member
Which multiple working system will they be set up with (ie which locos will they be compatible with)?

In their current state, 86, 87 & 90. If converted could work with 67's as do the Chiltern and ATW ones

sprinterguy

Established Member
In their current state, 86, 87 & 90. If converted could work with 67's as do the Chiltern and ATW ones
Neither would seem on the face of it to be much use to Network Rail, who presently use a mixture of their own class 31s and hired in DRS class 37s on their loco hauled test trains. To perpetuate these operations then I believe that it would have to be Blue Star multiple working that the DVTs would have to be fitted with? I don't know whether this will be the case though.

Monty

Established Member
I like it, the livery suits the the DVTs well. Very smart. :)

hwl

Established Member
Neither would seem on the face of it to be much use to Network Rail, who presently use a mixture of their own class 31s and hired in DRS class 37s on their loco hauled test trains. To perpetuate these operations then I believe that it would have to be Blue Star multiple working that the DVTs would have to be fitted with? I don't know whether this will be the case though.

Some thoughts:
Might this be a prelude to retiring the 31s? So move away from blue star at the same time.

Aren't NR also refurbishing and re-engineing (with much bigger engines) some 73s so they can happily operate properly on diesel power off the 3rd rail network.

Aren't 67 coming to the end off the leasing period some time soon.

KA4C

These are fitted with Blue Star and AAR multi they will be used with class 67's on the new PLPR (plain line pattern recognition) test trains. They are not replacing the class 31's, it is planned for the "big" ED's to do that, eventually

jopsuk

Veteran Member

This is why I asked- mention was made further up of retiring the 31s, so I was wondering what they intend to use in future.

is it possible to set them up to have more than one MW system, or would that be too complex?

Also, I'm surprised that they don't appear to be getting the Chiltern auxiliary generator mod- the DBSOs they use have a generator set.

KA4C

This is why I asked- mention was made further up of retiring the 31s, so I was wondering what they intend to use in future.

is it possible to set them up to have more than one MW system, or would that be too complex?

Also, I'm surprised that they don't appear to be getting the Chiltern auxiliary generator mod- the DBSOs they use have a generator set.

As I said, the DVT's have blue star and ARR multi.

One DBSO does not have a genny, but there are gennys on test cars and Genny coaches

Big Chris

Is there any possibility of using them with 57's? Do the Network Rail 57s have any multiple working equipment?

SprinterMan

Established Member
82111/115/124/129/145 are all owned by Network Rail and located Loughborough Brush. All of them carry Virgin Trains colours except 82115 which carries BR Blue and 82145 NR Yellow.
Hope this helps, Sam

Apparently 82129 is in yellow now also:
http://www.wnxx.com/news/index.htm
Loughborough...
67017 was noted at Loughborough today working 0Z67 Derby to Loughborough and back. On the 'works' an unidentified former WCML DVT, in grey on a trailer, along with and 82145, it and 82129 are now sporting NR Yellow, were noted.

I wonder why they have gone for a mixed DBSO/DVT fleet and not all the same type.

Is there any possibility of using them with 57's? *Do the Network Rail 57s have any multiple working equipment?

They had none when they were at VT, although I can imagine blue star or something may have been fitted.
Adam :D

Last edited:

KA4C

I wonder why they have gone for a mixed DBSO/DVT fleet and not all the same type.

DBSO's are Blue Star only and work with the UTU's / SGT, The DVT's are to work with the new PLPR's and will work with class 67, so they need ARR compatability

newbryford

82145 appears to have a generator - the grille on the lead door and a grille on the roof. Just not the same mod as the Chiltern DVT's. The pic of the UID DVT on the wnxx page appears to show a large lump inside the first doorway - probably a gen set.

Not all the NR DBSO's have a genny - 9701/9708/9714 are genny fitted, 9702/9703 aren't.
Cheers,
Mick

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I saw 1 or 2 test coaches in NR Yellow, top & tailed by yellow diesel locos at Fulwell on the Shepperton Branch a couple of weeks ago. i think they may be testing for the longer trains or something as I also saw an empty mainline train that generally goes from Waterloo to Reading pulling out of Shepperton about the same time, i think they may be called Junipers ? We very rarely get anything other than the standard red SWT local trains on the Shp line, apart from in the rush hour when there are a couple of the Blue trains sometimes.

KA4C

I saw 1 or 2 test coaches in NR Yellow, top & tailed by yellow diesel locos at Fulwell on the Shepperton Branch a couple of weeks ago.

Was probably TRC, it has regular booked runs down there, would be top and tailed by class 73's

theblackwatch

Established Member
Hope this helps, Sam

Is 82115 definitely at Loughborough? The last reports I saw were of it being at Wolverton, where it moved to after its spell with Hull Trains.

Alternating

82145 appears to have a generator - the grille on the lead door and a grille on the roof. Just not the same mod as the Chiltern DVT's. The pic of the UID DVT on the wnxx page appears to show a large lump inside the first doorway - probably a gen set.

Not all the NR DBSO's have a genny - 9701/9708/9714 are genny fitted, 9702/9703 aren't.
Cheers,
Mick

The NR DVTs (there are four) have got 60kVA three-phase generators, the Chiltern DVT's have 250kW, 850V DC - very different and for completely different uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.